2019 NFL Offseason Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/07/drew-brees-testifies-jewelry-dealer-once-a-friend-defrauded-him-out-of-millions/

Quote:
Drew Brees testifies jewelry dealer, once a friend, defrauded him out of millions

Saints quarterback Drew Brees is missing practice this week to testify in court in San Diego that a jeweler he once considered him a friend defrauded him out of millions of dollars by lying to him about the value of jewelry.

Brees says the jeweler, Vahid Moradi, convinced him they were friends and then persuaded him to spend as much as $8 million at a time on diamonds.

“I cared for him, cared for his wife, cared for his kids,” Brees said. “He became somebody that I referred family and other friends to.”

But the jeweler’s attorney says Brees and Moradi had nothing more than a business relationship, and Brees simply couldn’t stop spending huge amounts of money on jewelry.

“They were not friends. Vahid Moradi was Mr. Brees’s friendly jeweler,” attorney Pete Ross said. “Drew Brees has an obsession for jewelry. He was drawn in like an addict with a drug.”

At issue is whether Moradi misled Brees about the true value of the jewelry he was buying, or whether Moradi was simply running a profitable business selling expensive jewelry to a millionaire who had the money and was willing to spend it. The trial will continue into next week.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject:

He Hate Me is missing....

Quote:
Police in South Carolina have put out a missing person advisory for former Philadelphia Eagles and Carolina Panthers running back Rod Smart.

The Lancaster County Sheriff's Office says Smart -- perhaps best known for his "He Hate Me" jersey in the XFL -- was last seen Wednesday in Indian Land, South Carolina.

LINK
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject:

He Misplace Me
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/21/drew-brees-wins-6-1-million-in-damages-over-diamond-fraud/

Quote:
Drew Brees wins $6.1 million in damages over diamond fraud

A jury in San Diego awarded Drew Brees more than $6.1 million in damages Friday after the Saints quarterback alleged he was overcharged for diamonds purchased as an investment, Ramon Antonio Vargas of the New Orleans Advocate reports.

Jeweler Vahid Moradi and his attorney, Kevin Rooney, said in a statement they “passionately disagree” with the verdict and will appeal.

Whether Brees ever sees any money or not, his victory in court Friday perhaps served as vindication.

Brees and his wife, Brittany, sought $6.7 million, which was the difference between the amount paid to Moradi for a variety of diamonds and the appraised value of the items. Brees accused Moradi of breach of oral contract, fraud by intentional misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duty and fraud by concealment.

Moradi’s defense contended it was the appraiser – Aldo Dinelli – who scammed the couple, according to the Advocate. Moradi’s attorney argued that the jeweler sold the diamonds to Brees at a retail markup of between 1.55 and 1.6 percent, with diamonds typically selling at a profit of 1.6 percent.

Brees testified in court June 6, the day the trial began. Closing arguments were Wednesday, and the jury deliberated Thursday and most of Friday before deciding in favor of Brees, who was not present in court when the verdict was read.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
He Misplace Me

forgot to update...."they find me" later on that day
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject:

I'd probably do it if he gave me cash upfront.

https://www.complex.com/sports/2019/06/cam-newton-airplane-seat-1500-leg-room?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=complexmag&utm_source=twitter.com

Quote:
Cam Newton Offers Man $1,500 to Give Airplane Seat With Extra Leg Room, Gets Rejected

While boarding a plane from Paris to the U.S., Cam Newton realized that this 10-hour ride would be very painful if he had to squeeze his 6-foot-5 frame into his seat. So, like some people with a $16 million salary would do, Newton tried to buy a more comfortable seat from another passenger. Unfortunately for Newton, the man either doesn't like football or just despises money as he turned the cash down to keep his spot.

In the clip, Newton is seen haggling with another passenger about the seat. After several denials, Newton eventually offers the man $1,500 to swap spots. Still, the man still refused to move.

Embedded video

Eli Edwards
@ElisaraEdwards
So this happened... @CameronNewton offered a man $1500 cash for extra leg room on a 10hr flight and the man said “No??” #GiveFranceTheNFL

10:02 PM - Jun 21, 2019
4,561 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
It's hard to tell what's the bigger issue here. Is it the fact a former NFL MVP didn't reserve a suitable seat or that Cam decided to take a trip across the Atlantic Ocean dressed in jeans and a fedora?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...from-dolphins/

Quote:
Jim Caldwell takes medical leave from Dolphins

Dolphins assistant Jim Caldwell is stepping away from the team for health reasons.

Caldwell, the Dolphins’ assistant head coach and quarterbacks coach, is taking a leave of absence to address health issues. He will still serve as a consultant to head coach Brian Flores.

“I will be stepping back due to some medical complications that require my full attention,” Caldwell said. “I want to thank Stephen Ross, Chris Grier, Coach Flores and the rest of the organization for the support they have given me and my family.”

Flores said he supports Caldwell’s decision to focus on his health.

“Our focus is on Jim’s health and supporting him in every way that we can,” Flores said. “With his knowledge and experience, Jim has been an invaluable member to our coaching staff and will continue to serve as a sounding board for me throughout the season.”

The 64-year-old Caldwell, who was the head coach of the Colts from 2009-11 and the Lions from 2014-17, did not disclose the nature of his health issues.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27184110/hofer-bob-gibson-says-pancreatic-cancer

Quote:
HOFer Bob Gibson says he has pancreatic cancer
play

Hall of Fame right-hander Bob Gibson, who won the Cy Young and National League MVP awards in 1968, sent a letter to living Hall of Famers informing them he is battling pancreatic cancer.

Gibson, widely considered one of the greatest pitchers of all time, was diagnosed with cancer several weeks ago, his agent, Dick Zitzmann, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Zitzmann told the newspaper that he has spoken to Gibson and that chemotherapy is expected to begin Monday in Omaha, Nebraska, the pitcher's hometown. Gibson, who turns 84 in November, has been hospitalized in Omaha for the past two weeks.

"We all know what a competitor he is," Zitzmann told the Post-Dispatch.

EDITOR'S PICKS

GMs to watch as the trade deadline approaches
Gibson went 22-9 and led the majors in ERA (1.12), shutouts (13) and strikeouts (268) in 1968 for the St. Louis Cardinals. The year before, he went the distance in three games, all wins, and St. Louis beat the Boston Red Sox in seven games in an epic World Series.

In 1969, Major League Baseball lowered the pitcher's mound from 15 inches to 10 inches in hopes of boosting offense. Gibson remained dominant, winning 20 games for the fourth time and completing 28 games in 33 decisions.

Gibson, who spent his entire career with the Cardinals, won 251 games over 17 seasons. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1981.

The Cardinals offered their well wishes Saturday night, tweeting: "Get well soon, Bob. All of Cardinal Nation is behind you!"
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Saquon Barkley wrote:
Jul 16, 2019ReplyRetweetFavorite
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/20/marshall-faulk-explores-becoming-an-agent/

Quote:
Marshall Faulk explores becoming an agent

Running back Marshall Faulk’s NFL career ended with a bust in the Hall of Fame. His TV career as one of the lead analysts at NFL Network ended amid a haze of allegations made in a sexual harassment lawsuit.

Faulk is now embarking on a new football path. He was spotted at the recent NFL Players Association seminar and exam for new agents in Washington, and PFT has confirmed that he was indeed present.

Faulk has spent time with Seahawks running back Rashaad Penny during the 2019 offseason, and Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott has studied Faulk in an effort to enhance Zeke’s pass-catching skills. Both are represented by Faulk’s former agent, Rocky Arceneaux, and it’s possible that Faulk plans to join Arceneaux’s firm if/when Faulk secures NFLPA certification.

Drafted by the Colts, Faulk became a central figure of the Greatest Show on Turf edition of the St. Louis Rams, 20 years ago. He had an amazing four straight seasons with more than 2,000 yards from scrimmage — one with the Colts and three in a row with the Rams. Faulk won the NFL MVP award in 2000.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27302133/gordon-agent-requests-chargers-trade-star-rb

My guess is the Chargers are holding onto him until they get a satisfactory offer on the table. I don't see them meeting his salary demands and teams are wary after seeing the Rams give Todd Gurley his money only for him to be injured and probably won't be the same player. Besides the NFL game these days has moved away from the running game as a vital part of the offense.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Read Michael Silver's 20-part tweet about the ongoing Antonio Brown saga on Twitter. It's pretty remarkable. First, dude frostbites his feet severely, and now he is threatening to retire because he can't play with his old helmet. He's essentially telling the NFL this...

https://themusingsofafanboy.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/you_went_over_my_helmet.gif
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Steelers coming out of this smelling like roses.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Read Michael Silver's 20-part tweet about the ongoing Antonio Brown saga on Twitter. It's pretty remarkable. First, dude frostbites his feet severely, and now he is threatening to retire because he can't play with his old helmet. He's essentially telling the NFL this...

https://themusingsofafanboy.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/you_went_over_my_helmet.gif

I think he has backed himself into a corner because I do not see him having a case in regards to the helmet.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I think he has backed himself into a corner because I do not see him having a case in regards to the helmet.

He's gonna find out in the NFL he's easily replaceable.
Rsxtreme415
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject:

I just want my helmet back.

Fisher being an idiot
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

loses appeal, but had a change of heart and decides he will play with the new helmet.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

loses appeal, but had a change of heart and decides he will play with the new helmet.

Yeah, it was gonna be hard for him to turn down all those millions on principle.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/13/andrew-lucks-calf-problem-becomes-a-high-ankle-issue/

Quote:
Andrew Luck’s calf problem becomes a high-ankle issue

The process of pinpointing the specific Andrew Luck injury has morphed into a game of Three Card Monte.

After weeks of Luck dealing with a supposed calf injury, the condition shifted to (according to owner Jim Irsay) a “small little bone issue” on Monday. On Tuesday, G.M. Chris Ballard offered a different explanation.

Via Mike Wells of ESPN.com, Ballard said on a conference call that the calf strain has become a high-ankle issue.

It’s unclear what the issue is, but with the lower calf in proximity of the upper ankle, it sounds like something is happening where the calf muscle and the calf bone come together. And it could be that, after weeks of treating the situation like a soft-tissue injury, it possibly has become, or always was, a bone situation.

Whatever the specific injury, Luck has three weeks and five days to get ready for Week One. Ballard declined to say whether Luck will be available to play. At this point, the safest bet would be to assume that Jacoby Brissett will be on the field when the curtain rises on 2019.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

The Jay-Z/Roc Nation deal with the NFL.....how is this not a massive conflict of interests on multiple levels? When one of Roc Nations clients is disciplined.....will there not be speculation about the punishment being lighter because of Roc Nations relationship to the NFL? Or when one of their clients received positive recognition from the league....there is massive room for claims about why the player was chosen over another player.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject:

Chargers safety Derwin James suffers stress fracture in foot.

Chargers have this same (bleep) happen to them every year, the curse is for real.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Chargers safety Derwin James suffers stress fracture in foot.

Chargers have this same (bleep) happen to them every year, the curse is for real.

Looks like its going to be tough for the Chargers to have another great season with the way injuries/holdouts are going.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/17/josh-mccown-ends-retirement-returns-to-nfl/

Quote:
Josh McCown ends retirement, returns to NFL

For the second time this year, a former NFL player is leaving ESPN to return to the NFL.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports (announces) that Josh McCown of ESPN is now Josh McCown of the Eagles. McCown joins Cowboys tight end Jason Witten as football players turned ESPN analysts turned football players.

McCown, who plans to resume his broadcasting career after the season, joins a depth chart that has been reduced through two preseason games from four healthy players to two: Carson Wentz and Thurston Howell III Clayton Thorson.

The Eagles had planned to add no quarterbacks after losing primary backup Nate Sudfeld to a broken wrist. With Cody Kessler now in the concussion protocol, the Eagles needed someone else.

Schefter’s announcement creates the impression that McCown will be with the Eagles all year long. There’s a chance, however, he won’t make the 53-man roster — especially if his one-year deal isn’t guaranteed at signing. Indeed, eight years ago to the day, he signed with the 49ers; two weeks later, he was released.

McCown entered the NFL in 2002 with the Cardinals. He has played for Arizona, Detroit, Oakland, Carolina, the Hartford Colonials, San Francisco (briefly), Chicago, Tampa Bay, Cleveland, the New York Jets, and now Philadelphia. That’s more than 25 percent of the entire NFL, and exactly one fourth of the long-defunct UFL.

Meanwhile, Colin Kaepernick’s phone still isn’t ringing, 10 years to the month after the Eagles gave a second chance to a convicted felon who spent nearly two years in prison for running a dogfighting operation.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/17/josh-mccown-ends-retirement-returns-to-nfl/

Quote:
Josh McCown ends retirement, returns to NFL

For the second time this year, a former NFL player is leaving ESPN to return to the NFL.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports (announces) that Josh McCown of ESPN is now Josh McCown of the Eagles. McCown joins Cowboys tight end Jason Witten as football players turned ESPN analysts turned football players.

McCown, who plans to resume his broadcasting career after the season, joins a depth chart that has been reduced through two preseason games from four healthy players to two: Carson Wentz and Thurston Howell III Clayton Thorson.

The Eagles had planned to add no quarterbacks after losing primary backup Nate Sudfeld to a broken wrist. With Cody Kessler now in the concussion protocol, the Eagles needed someone else.

Schefter’s announcement creates the impression that McCown will be with the Eagles all year long. There’s a chance, however, he won’t make the 53-man roster — especially if his one-year deal isn’t guaranteed at signing. Indeed, eight years ago to the day, he signed with the 49ers; two weeks later, he was released.

McCown entered the NFL in 2002 with the Cardinals. He has played for Arizona, Detroit, Oakland, Carolina, the Hartford Colonials, San Francisco (briefly), Chicago, Tampa Bay, Cleveland, the New York Jets, and now Philadelphia. That’s more than 25 percent of the entire NFL, and exactly one fourth of the long-defunct UFL.

Meanwhile, Colin Kaepernick’s phone still isn’t ringing, 10 years to the month after the Eagles gave a second chance to a convicted felon who spent nearly two years in prison for running a dogfighting operation.

Not a bad get for the Eagles. And I think it's become pretty clear that Kaep's NFL career is over.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject:

Former University of Texas and NFL running back Cedric Benson has tragically died at the age of 36. Motorcycle accident. Just way, way too young. RIP.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16
Jump to: