That's My Jam!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2001
Posts: 10325

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Anyone posted some Link Wray yet?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nsG4nv_a5-8


Pretty tasty. Enjoyed that and his stuff that followed with autoplay.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 22987

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Just feelin' it

https://youtube.com/watch?v=U8RskGDLoOo
_________________
The Dennis Miller of LG.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2001
Posts: 10325

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject:

Since we got a taste of this on the season two premier of Big Little Lies, and it's such a damn good song, why not?

I'll Be Around
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 43793
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

I've been slackin', but it's great to see you guys have been keeping this rollin' with so many cool posts.

My Jam at the moment is Eric McFadden. Saw the dude play a few years ago when he made a guest appearance at a Gov't Mule show at the Wiltern and he and Warren tore it up on Funkadelic's "Maggot Brain" (video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp2KXe6QRcg )

He's got such a diverse, eclectic and theatrical sound that combines classical/flamenco guitar, heavy blues riffs and a gravely storytelling voice reminiscent of Tim Waits. He's a good guy to just put on shuffle because there's a real variety to the sound and it's all great.

Some cuts to give an idea of that diversity of sound:

Jockey Full of Bourbon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLUszpnAXKM

Devil Moon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qHBagZTB1o

And for fun, he did a whole album of AC/DC covers:

Have a Drink on Me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWcdkMlkDcU
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
panamaniac
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 9115
Location: PTY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Venom by Richie Kotzen

Fresh out of the oven jam from one of my favorite artists around.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Posts: 3437
Location: Mukdahan, Thailand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:

https://youtu.be/C-Cx8XVXGXY

Lo Que Quieras - Orquesta Bareo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 4870
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject:

I went to a bar in Brooklyn last week and I heard this song for the first time that I know of: Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMmTkKz60W8

dude.... dude.
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
panamaniac
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 9115
Location: PTY

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:53 pm    Post subject:

The Other Side by King's X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2001
Posts: 10325

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
I went to a bar in Brooklyn last week and I heard this song for the first time that I know of: Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMmTkKz60W8

dude.... dude.


Interesting that you just recently first heard or first noticed this song. It got a lot of FM play in its day and remains a signature song of the band. There was so much good rock in the day that those of us who grew up in the 60's and 70's have consciously forgotten dozens upon dozens of equally really great songs from those years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 4870
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
I went to a bar in Brooklyn last week and I heard this song for the first time that I know of: Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMmTkKz60W8

dude.... dude.


Interesting that you just recently first heard or first noticed this song. It got a lot of FM play in its day and remains a signature song of the band. There was so much good rock in the day that those of us who grew up in the 60's and 70's have consciously forgotten dozens upon dozens of equally really great songs from those years.


I stopped listening to the radio a while ago, but when I was listening, I never tuned to classic rock stations. It's probably a damned well-played song. I do not recall it hearing it in any advertisements or movies that I've ever seen and it definitely wasn't on the oldies, alternative, or hip hop playlists for the stations that I listened to.

The lyrics are heavy and more mood-inducing than any of the genre's songs that I know, which are pitifully few, but piling rapidly. The most comparable, to me, at least, would be stairway. I'd be grateful for all recommendations.
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2001
Posts: 10325

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject:

Mood inducing for someone else is gonna hit and miss, and folk may not move you, but this song is certainly mood inducing for me, considering their story:

Diamonds and Rust

And from her sister:

In the Quiet Morning an ode to one of our lost talents.

And a very young and very brilliant Joni:

Urge for Going

This one always gets me, lyrically as well as the striking performance:

Early Morning Rain written by Gordon Lightfoot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 43793
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
I went to a bar in Brooklyn last week and I heard this song for the first time that I know of: Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMmTkKz60W8

dude.... dude.


Interesting that you just recently first heard or first noticed this song. It got a lot of FM play in its day and remains a signature song of the band. There was so much good rock in the day that those of us who grew up in the 60's and 70's have consciously forgotten dozens upon dozens of equally really great songs from those years.


Yep. We did a road trip to Park City over the Xmas break and put the satellite radio on Sirius's Classic Vinyl channel and my wife and I were commenting on how many really great cuts tat we used to love and listen to all the time that we hadn't thought of in decades.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 43127

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject:

As I get older, I find myself getting deeper and deeper into the blues.

I always enjoy discovering artists I didn't know about.

Here is my latest jam, I am deep into the late Michael "Iron Man" Burks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awAZSGGxRJw
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 43793
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
As I get older, I find myself getting deeper and deeper into the blues.

I always enjoy discovering artists I didn't know about.

Here is my latest jam, I am deep into the late Michael "Iron Man" Burks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awAZSGGxRJw


I totally get it. Blues is part of the roots music that makes the music of the last century so significant. There's a reason it still resonates today.

In that vein, here's a group I recently discovered and is my Jam for this evening, and I hope you like it.

Very Bluesie but with a whole bunch of other very cool stuff going on the Jazz and funk end.

The California Honeydrops -- Long Way

I just danced through 15 minutes worth of dishes, kitchen cleanup and taking out the trash with this on repeat.

If it doesn't get your body moving, you may be in need consult with your doctor as well as your spiritual consultant.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
panamaniac
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 9115
Location: PTY

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Some standouts from my weekend shuffle..

I Just Want to Have Something to Do by The Ramones

and

Sweet Lady Mary by Faces

and

Atomic Dog by George Clinton a.k.a the funkiest jam ever conceived


Last edited by panamaniac on Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 43793
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject:

^^^
Definitely something to do tonight!
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 43127

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:


I totally get it. Blues is part of the roots music that makes the music of the last century so significant. There's a reason it still resonates today.

In that vein, here's a group I recently discovered and is my Jam for this evening, and I hope you like it.

Very Bluesie but with a whole bunch of other very cool stuff going on the Jazz and funk end.

The California Honeydrops -- Long Way

I just danced through 15 minutes worth of dishes, kitchen cleanup and taking out the trash with this on repeat.

If it doesn't get your body moving, you may be in need consult with your doctor as well as your spiritual consultant.


I dig it!

Cool video too, I want to go there...

It looks like they play locally quite a bit, might have to catch them next time they come around!

I found this one too from them, don't hold the Warriors shirt against the drummer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEOfdqGCmY
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 43793
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:


I totally get it. Blues is part of the roots music that makes the music of the last century so significant. There's a reason it still resonates today.

In that vein, here's a group I recently discovered and is my Jam for this evening, and I hope you like it.

Very Bluesie but with a whole bunch of other very cool stuff going on the Jazz and funk end.

The California Honeydrops -- Long Way

I just danced through 15 minutes worth of dishes, kitchen cleanup and taking out the trash with this on repeat.

If it doesn't get your body moving, you may be in need consult with your doctor as well as your spiritual consultant.


I dig it!

Cool video too, I want to go there...

It looks like they play locally quite a bit, might have to catch them next time they come around!

I found this one too from them, don't hold the Warriors shirt against the drummer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEOfdqGCmY


That one's in my rotation as well.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 29502

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:42 am    Post subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TON3PORRDQ

Here's a good 80's tune, that I only recently became of aware of, through watching a Killers concert from Glasgow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-cf_Oxo_U8 - Killers cover it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 43793
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TON3PORRDQ

Here's a good 80's tune, that I only recently became of aware of, through watching a Killers concert from Glasgow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-cf_Oxo_U8 - Killers cover it.


Loved The Waterboys back in the day
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 22987

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject:

I am an inconsistent Metallica fan, but when Lars and the boys go hard, they go hard: https://youtube.com/watch?v=uhBHL3v4d3I
_________________
The Dennis Miller of LG.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 16633

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Birth of Cool - Miles Davis. It's fire.
_________________
Music is my medicine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 43793
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Birth of Cool - Miles Davis. It's fire.


Previously Unheard Miles Davis Album Rubberband Coming In September
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2001
Posts: 10325

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I am an inconsistent Metallica fan, but when Lars and the boys go hard, they go hard: https://youtube.com/watch?v=uhBHL3v4d3I


Quote:
Ogórek TV
Ogórek TV
1 year ago
RIP those who have epilepsy.


Hard metal, and its many derivative sub categories, is one of my least favorite categories of rock. But then there is LA's own Metallica who do it so well they are hard not to like.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
panamaniac
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 9115
Location: PTY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Hard metal, and its many derivative sub categories, is one of my least favorite categories of rock. But then there is LA's own Metallica who do it so well they are hard not to like.


SF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB