Violence in Hong Kong
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 4991
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Violence in Hong Kong

This has been going on for weeks. Here's the latest drama:

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/07/22/just-chaos-bloodshed-hong-kong-district-hundreds-masked-men-assault-protesters-journalists-residents/
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 21115
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Last I heard. Those 1-2 million Muslims are still in "internment camps" in China as well.
Apparently the government has been paying triads to attack protestors now?!
_________________
"Turn your losses into lessons." - Mike "The Situation"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 37724
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject:

In fairness to those wise people in the late '90's, how would they have ever known that a full proof system like "One country, two systems" would be problematic? The Sino-British Joint Declaration should have been written on toilet paper.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 7500
Location: Boulder ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject:

Best of luck fellow humans...

Tiny Apartments and Punishing Work Hours:
The Economic Roots of Hong Kong’s Protests



Quote:

HONG KONG — Rents higher than New York, London or San Francisco for apartments half the size. Nearly one in five people living in poverty. A minimum wage of $4.82 an hour.

Hong Kong, a semiautonomous Chinese city of 7.4 million people shaken this summer by huge protests, may be the world’s most unequal place to live. Anger over the growing power of mainland China in everyday life has fueled the protests, as has the desire of residents to choose their own leaders. But beneath that political anger lurks an undercurrent of deep anxiety over their own economic fortunes — and fears that it will only get worse.

“We thought maybe if you get a better education, you can have a better income,” said Kenneth Leung, a 55-year-old college-educated protester. “But in Hong Kong, over the last two decades, people may be able to get a college education, but they are not making more money.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 33069

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
In fairness to those wise people in the late '90's, how would they have ever known that a full proof system like "One country, two systems" would be problematic? The Sino-British Joint Declaration should have been written on toilet paper.


If you took a deep dive into why it became a British territory for 156 years you would realize why that is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 37724
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
In fairness to those wise people in the late '90's, how would they have ever known that a full proof system like "One country, two systems" would be problematic? The Sino-British Joint Declaration should have been written on toilet paper.


If you took a deep dive into why it became a British territory for 156 years you would realize why that is.


give me more of what you are suggesting? China gave it up after the initial Opium War?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 33069

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
In fairness to those wise people in the late '90's, how would they have ever known that a full proof system like "One country, two systems" would be problematic? The Sino-British Joint Declaration should have been written on toilet paper.


If you took a deep dive into why it became a British territory for 156 years you would realize why that is.


give me more of what you are suggesting? China gave it up after the initial Opium War?


The British Empire at the time was at its peak. The territory was signed over as a concession of war in order to import opium into China. Its not a shock that they would do whatever it took to reclaim it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 84820
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
In fairness to those wise people in the late '90's, how would they have ever known that a full proof system like "One country, two systems" would be problematic? The Sino-British Joint Declaration should have been written on toilet paper.


I remember when the changeover approached, I was thinking, "get out if you can, because eventually you will regret staying on under Chinese rule".
_________________
I guess I just miss my friend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 37724
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
In fairness to those wise people in the late '90's, how would they have ever known that a full proof system like "One country, two systems" would be problematic? The Sino-British Joint Declaration should have been written on toilet paper.


I remember when the changeover approached, I was thinking, "get out if you can, because eventually you will regret staying on under Chinese rule".


similar to what my people told those in Eastern Virginia in the early 1860's....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 84820
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
In fairness to those wise people in the late '90's, how would they have ever known that a full proof system like "One country, two systems" would be problematic? The Sino-British Joint Declaration should have been written on toilet paper.


I remember when the changeover approached, I was thinking, "get out if you can, because eventually you will regret staying on under Chinese rule".


similar to what my people told those in Eastern Virginia in the early 1860's....


Little did they know, the war would end, and real Virginia would go back to being the better place to live. Well, that's damning with faint praise. Chechnya would be an option...
_________________
I guess I just miss my friend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2001
Posts: 14614

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I remember when the changeover approached, I was thinking, "get out if you can, because eventually you will regret staying on under Chinese rule".


Why
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 37724
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
In fairness to those wise people in the late '90's, how would they have ever known that a full proof system like "One country, two systems" would be problematic? The Sino-British Joint Declaration should have been written on toilet paper.


I remember when the changeover approached, I was thinking, "get out if you can, because eventually you will regret staying on under Chinese rule".


similar to what my people told those in Eastern Virginia in the early 1860's....


Little did they know, the war would end, and real Virginia would go back to being the better place to live. Well, that's damning with faint praise. Chechnya would be an option...


I am just guessing that Union soldiers seizing their property and setting up shop in their plantation mansions must of sucked at the time...at least for the survivors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 37724
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I remember when the changeover approached, I was thinking, "get out if you can, because eventually you will regret staying on under Chinese rule".


Why


Are you asking him why they would not enjoy living under harsh communist rule?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 7500
Location: Boulder ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Trumps next tactic against Ilhan Omar or supporters of the Squad
https://www.theepochtimes.com/hong-kong-mobs-attack-protesters-legislators-condemn-police-delinquency_3011812.html
Quote:

Chinese Communist Party in the Shadow

Junius Ho Kwan-yiu, a pro-Beijing legislative council member from the district of Tuen Mun, was spotted shaking hands with these white T-shirt gangs, giving them a thumbs-up and calling them “you are my heroes” as one of the white T-shirt men told Ho “you are my idol.”

建制派领袖何君尧,向白衣黑社会挥手示意,称赞其为英雄。何曾任前香港律师协会主席,被指长期受命于中联办,与梁振英关系深厚。可以想见,21日横扫香港,暴打无数市民的白衫黑社会的来头了。 pic.twitter.com/rc5JECmCww

— 李方 (@lifang072) July 21, 2019


For videos of thugs beating residents, please visit here: http://www.epochtimes.com/gb/19/7/21/n11400120.htm

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 84820
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I remember when the changeover approached, I was thinking, "get out if you can, because eventually you will regret staying on under Chinese rule".


Why


Because there was no way the Chinese government was going to leave them autonomous. And it is much better to live in a British protectorate than a Chinese territory.
_________________
I guess I just miss my friend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2001
Posts: 14614

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I remember when the changeover approached, I was thinking, "get out if you can, because eventually you will regret staying on under Chinese rule".


Why


Because there was no way the Chinese government was going to leave them autonomous. And it is much better to live in a British protectorate than a Chinese territory.


Wait, are you suggesting a region is better off under white foreign imperialistic rule?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 May 2013
Posts: 5828

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject:

i just visited Hong Kong and nearby Shenzhen China few weeks back. stayed in both places for about couple weeks each. if you have not been to that region recently, please take off your "everything about china is bad" glasses and take a look for yourself. go talk to the locals, experience their daily livings. Shenzhen right now is head and shoulder above Hong Kong in terms of quality of living, everything so damn new and convenient, most importantly, most people are happy with their life. when you hop on that bus at the border head into HK, you will feel like you were going to ghetto. sure there's the Central and all those fancy rich places in HK, but imagine that's like everywhere in the entire city of Shenzhen.

my point is, this violence can partially contribute to the struggling of the younger generation in HK, they're witnessing other cities in China are ready to taking over them as the central financial hub of Asia. housing/rent is super expensive in HK and infrastructure is old, a lot of people are struggling in HK.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 7500
Location: Boulder ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject:

I feel the responsibility is on Carrie Lam
She is afraid Beijing will kill her if she gives in?

She never ever should've agreed to be the one to break the most sovereign part ..that of the law

Tell Ms Lam to go live in an uyghur prison if she wants Chinese rule
_________________
КОБЭ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 33069

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
I feel the responsibility is on Carrie Lam
She is afraid Beijing will kill her if she gives in?

She never ever should've agreed to be the one to break the most sovereign part ..that of the law

Tell Ms Lam to go live in an uyghur prison if she wants Chinese rule



You assume that she has much power. Beijing runs the show there. In fact her replacement will be a hardliner guaranteed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 30567

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i just visited Hong Kong and nearby Shenzhen China few weeks back. stayed in both places for about couple weeks each. if you have not been to that region recently, please take off your "everything about china is bad" glasses and take a look for yourself. go talk to the locals, experience their daily livings. Shenzhen right now is head and shoulder above Hong Kong in terms of quality of living, everything so damn new and convenient, most importantly, most people are happy with their life. when you hop on that bus at the border head into HK, you will feel like you were going to ghetto. sure there's the Central and all those fancy rich places in HK, but imagine that's like everywhere in the entire city of Shenzhen.

my point is, this violence can partially contribute to the struggling of the younger generation in HK, they're witnessing other cities in China are ready to taking over them as the central financial hub of Asia. housing/rent is super expensive in HK and infrastructure is old, a lot of people are struggling in HK.




That's because Beijing has been pouring money into Shanghai, both in terms of building its physical infrastructure (buildings, port facilities) and financial infrastructure (exchanges), which all came at the expense of developing Hong Kong. I saw that coming decades ago. Shanghai is their baby, Hong Kong is the stepchild; a territory that they (Beijing) cannot take credit for developing.

HK is difficult to develop due to the mountainous terrain. It has gotten worse, as the real estate that have been developed in recent years has been all very high-end. Why? Because Mainland Chinese are buying up the real estate, pushing up the prices.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 30567

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I remember when the changeover approached, I was thinking, "get out if you can, because eventually you will regret staying on under Chinese rule".


Why


Because there was no way the Chinese government was going to leave them autonomous. And it is much better to live in a British protectorate than a Chinese territory.


Wait, are you suggesting a region is better off under white foreign imperialistic rule?



I think the Hong Kong should have autonomy.

And in terms of the Brits, have you noticed the protestors carrying Union Jacks? They yearn for the good old days.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 33069

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I remember when the changeover approached, I was thinking, "get out if you can, because eventually you will regret staying on under Chinese rule".


Why


Because there was no way the Chinese government was going to leave them autonomous. And it is much better to live in a British protectorate than a Chinese territory.


Wait, are you suggesting a region is better off under white foreign imperialistic rule?


I think the Hong Kong should have autonomy.

And in terms of the Brits, have you noticed the protestors carrying Union Jacks? They yearn for the good old days.




Pretty much a non-starter. Deng Xiaoping in his meeting with Margaret Thatcher said that China could have PLA troops march into Hong Kong and retake it and she pretty much agreed. The 50 year timeline between China taking full control was them granting an orderly process to complete it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 30567

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I remember when the changeover approached, I was thinking, "get out if you can, because eventually you will regret staying on under Chinese rule".


Why


Because there was no way the Chinese government was going to leave them autonomous. And it is much better to live in a British protectorate than a Chinese territory.


Wait, are you suggesting a region is better off under white foreign imperialistic rule?


I think the Hong Kong should have autonomy.

And in terms of the Brits, have you noticed the protestors carrying Union Jacks? They yearn for the good old days.




Pretty much a non-starter. Deng Xiaoping in his meeting with Margaret Thatcher said that China could have PLA troops march into Hong Kong and retake it and she pretty much agreed. The 50 year timeline between China taking full control was them granting an orderly process to complete it.



I don't understand your argument.

My point is that the many of the protesters yearn for a return of British control, as they see it as a lesser evil than control by the People's Republic. I'm at a loss on how that relates to HK defending themselves against an armed invasion by the PLA, or how that has something to do with the PRC having the military power (but not the moral right) to violate the Basic Law, which is what the PLA is threatening to violate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 33069

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I remember when the changeover approached, I was thinking, "get out if you can, because eventually you will regret staying on under Chinese rule".


Why


Because there was no way the Chinese government was going to leave them autonomous. And it is much better to live in a British protectorate than a Chinese territory.


Wait, are you suggesting a region is better off under white foreign imperialistic rule?


I think the Hong Kong should have autonomy.

And in terms of the Brits, have you noticed the protestors carrying Union Jacks? They yearn for the good old days.




Pretty much a non-starter. Deng Xiaoping in his meeting with Margaret Thatcher said that China could have PLA troops march into Hong Kong and retake it and she pretty much agreed. The 50 year timeline between China taking full control was them granting an orderly process to complete it.



I don't understand your argument.

My point is that the many of the protesters yearn for a return of British control, as they see it as a lesser evil than control by the People's Republic. I'm at a loss on how that relates to HK defending themselves against an armed invasion by the PLA, or how that has something to do with the PRC having the military power (but not the moral right) to violate the Basic Law, which is what the PLA is threatening to violate.


The point is the CCP could care less about the rights of Hong Kongers...the only reason they are exercising restraint is that they eventually want to put Taiwan back into the fold.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 37724
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
The point is the CCP could care less about the rights of Hong Kongers...the only reason they are exercising restraint is that they eventually want to put Taiwan back into the fold.


Yeah, I suspect from a global perspective, it is not a huge deal if China takes full control of Hong Kong via mild force. I am just not sure anyone has a strong enough interest in Honk Kong. I think countries around the globe are more concerned about Taiwans response to any action China takes in Hong Kong. That is where the unknown and potentially very dangerous events could take place.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB