Luke's Replacement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
legend825
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject:

I agree MJST
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject:

I’m sorry but I’m a little sensitive when it comes to the Luke blame. He’s been the scapegoat all season. He’s flawed but gets blamed for nonsense sometimes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Luke failed because he refused to surround himself with assistants that could take advantage and make up for his weaknesses while he was learning the ropes, or just letting them do what they did well while he did what he did well.

A strong staff is what will always matter in the long run when it comes to being a rookie coach.

That was something Luke flat out refused to acknowledge he needed.

this summer there will be a couple high profile HC's losing there job.. I'd prefer to keep Luke and overpay to hire Gentry for O coordinator and Thibs for D coordinator. Would they do it? Dunno but maybe for a season they consider it until their next HC job opens up.

If that is not possible, then we need a new voice.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject:

Luke is actually is a decent head coach. The problem is that he refused to load his staff up with guys who were smarter than him and made up for his deficiencies (as stated above). Phil was a great leader and motivator, honestly I don’t even know how good of a x and o’s guy he was, but Tex was good lol.

I would suspect that Becky Hammon will be the next coach. It would be a nice story and it’d be a big hit here in LA with all of our SJW/non binary folks. I’m sure she’d be able to pull some big time assistant coaches as well. From what I’ve seen of her she’s very competent and has a lot of confidence.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Luke is actually is a decent head coach. The problem is that he refused to load his staff up with guys who were smarter than him and made up for his deficiencies (as stated above).

Do we know this? I mean isn't part of being a good head coach being able to acknowledge your deficiencies and hire staff accordingly? Head coach is an executive position. Part of that job description is hiring, and specifically hiring people who will make you and your organization successful. If he is bad at a large part of his job description, how is he decent? And that isn't the only area he is deficient at (I won't delve into this as you can find the analysis all over the Lounge).

We know he is good at not messing up a well oiled machine with a solid assistant coaching staff. He can sit on the bench with a prime Curry, Klay and Dray and not lose. But I'm pretty sure my dog could have sat on the sidelines of those games and gotten the same results.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
Luke is actually is a decent head coach. The problem is that he refused to load his staff up with guys who were smarter than him and made up for his deficiencies (as stated above).

Do we know this? I mean isn't part of being a good head coach being able to acknowledge your deficiencies and hire staff accordingly? Head coach is an executive position. Part of that job description is hiring, and specifically hiring people who will make you and your organization successful. If he is bad at a large part of his job description, how is he decent? And that isn't the only area he is deficient at (I won't delve into this as you can find the analysis all over the Lounge).

We know he is good at not messing up a well oiled machine with a solid assistant coaching staff. He can sit on the bench with a prime Curry, Klay and Dray and not lose. But I'm pretty sure my dog could have sat on the sidelines of those games and gotten the same results.

Not hiring the correct people to support you is more a sign of a lack of humility and ultimately intelligence. I do believe that Luke has shown the ability to lead a group of men, to encourage their growth and to make sure everybody gets along. To me that’s the job of a head coach.

Installing and Teaching them sets, having a coherent and effective philosophy on both sides of the ball, making sure they do the fundamentals and keeping them healthy is ultimately on the staff....who have failed spectacularly this season.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:

Not hiring the correct people to support you is more a sign of a lack of humility and ultimately intelligence. I do believe that Luke has shown the ability to lead a group of men, to encourage their growth and to make sure everybody gets along. To me that’s the job of a head coach.

Intelligence is one of those things that is kind of key to being a head coach. Lack of humility isn't exactly rare among executives--but not being intelligent enough is what will get you because it leads to bad decisions. The traits you're describing in Luke would make him a great high school coach and maybe an ok college coach in a not so competitive division. I look for intelligence first at that level and for that position. You can't be merely a figurehead who spouts platitudes.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:

Intelligence is one of those things that is kind of key to being a head coach. Lack of humility isn't exactly rare among executives--but not being intelligent enough is what will get you because it leads to bad decisions. The traits you're describing in Luke would make him a great high school coach and maybe an ok college coach in a not so competitive division. I look for intelligence first at that level and for that position. You can't be merely a figurehead who spouts platitudes.

Very good points.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:

unless you have "coordinator" positions that run their respective areas and you don't get in the way
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject:

You guys think Brendan Haywood can be a good coach in the NBA? He seems to know a lot about why the Lakers are struggling when he’s on NBA TV.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject:

Everyone wants to fire Luke

No one has a credible replacement
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject:

How about this guy name Pete Zayas?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

No one will respect that twerp.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

No one will respect that twerp.

If I was the lakers I’d ask Pete if he was interested in being part of the scouting/video coordination team. Dude knows what he is looking at. Pete isn’t qualified to be an NBA coach, but Spoelstra started in the video room if I’m not mistaken.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Becky gonna be a great HC someday. But like others have said, not sure a rookie hc is the way to go to right this ship. It's a risk. Could work, could bust, and with the way it's looking, not sure what would happen if we waste another season and miss the playoffs.

I think it will be a name like mark Jackson, thibs, someone with experience. It would be cool if it were Jeff van Gundy just for the lolz
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Becky gonna be a great HC someday. But like others have said, not sure a rookie hc is the way to go to right this ship. It's a risk. Could work, could bust, and with the way it's looking, not sure what would happen if we waste another season and miss the playoffs.

I think it will be a name like mark Jackson, thibs, someone with experience. It would be cool if it were Jeff van Gundy just for the lolz
Becky is too smart to take the job, a rookie head coach and an aging superstar on the downside is never a good mix.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

It's kinda hard when we don't know who's available.

Like if Gentry gets canned I would want him.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

There is. Just got to find out
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject:

The becky hammons thing is silly not because she can't be a great coach, but because of our FO.

For her to succeed, she needs the backing of an experienced FO who support her vision together.

Do you think she'll get that support from Magic, Pelinka and Jeanie at the same time? And then you add Lebron on top and it's a recipe for disaster.

People point out to kenny atkinson as a direction but having sean marks work with him is equally important to his success. I don't think this FO has someone like sean marks nor willing to support her to that extent. They'll want results right away given this disasterous season.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
The becky hammons thing is silly not because she can't be a great coach, but because of our FO.

For her to succeed, she needs the backing of an experienced FO who support her vision together.

Do you think she'll get that support from Magic, Pelinka and Jeanie at the same time? And then you add Lebron on top and it's a recipe for disaster.

People point out to kenny atkinson as a direction but having sean marks work with him is equally important to his success. I don't think this FO has someone like sean marks nor willing to support her to that extent. They'll want results right away given this disasterous season.

Why won't they support her when she will be hand selected by them?
sublimedominion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Has anyone thought of Stephen Silas? I think it may be worth looking into based on pedigree, years of experience, and support of both Steph Curry and Lebron James as he helped develop them both as players. He is currently assistant coach for the Mavs.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2774510-ranking-available-nba-head-coaches-after-david-fizdale-hiring#slide7
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Why won't they support her when she will be hand selected by them?

I don't trust magic making such a coaching selection. He's too old school and under pressure. If hammons becomes a coach here, it'll likely be jeanie making the call and overuling magic.

Also, the mindset of this FO is get out and win. They'll support her, but the moment things go wrong you could have hit pieces.

Such things will make it more difficult, especially given this terrible season. The lakers will want to win, especially when we might finish with a worse record than last year.

Also support isn't just coach and win, surrounding her with the right pieces is equally important ala atkinson and marks.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:

Wow. A young coach, his first head coaching job, his first set of hires, things don’t go so well, so he’s an arrogant idiot? Tough crowd.

A far more likely cause would be lack of experience. That would explain pretty much everything - the incorrect tactical adjustments, the AC hires that aren’t working out, and pretty much anything else. That was the risk in hiring somebody like Luke.

Let him go - hopefully, with a soft place to land, maybe a good college gig - and see if he can learn. If he does, then he’ll be back in the NBA soon enough.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject:

If Luke wants to be back, upgrading the assistant coaches should be an premise, at least the one responsible for offense. If I were in the front office, I would tell him to give me a pocket list. If he fails to provide suitable candidates, I would fire him as well. Jeanie should do the same to Magic.
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Isn’t it likely that Magic will want to hire yet another Laker retread like Michael Cooper, Rambis, Ty Lue, etc.?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16
Jump to: