Magic Johnson needs to be fired
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MustardJam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 13 Feb 2019
Posts: 106

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
tox wrote:
MJST wrote:
tox wrote:
Magic brought us LeBron.



And then his inept FO decisions after that and prior to that are the reason why with leBron the Lakers are neat the 4th worst team in the West, and about to miss the Playoffs for the First time in LeBron's career since 2005.


"Getting LeBron" means nothing if you have no clue what to do with it after or prior.

And? I'm not saying Magic is a good exec.
My argument is Magic has shown he can do one thing: bring in a max free agent. If the $38M we're punting goes to a superstar this summer we're sitting pretty. Magic should get this summer to carry that out.


This is where I come down. We really have no choice in the matter. Once Magic made the Russell trade, we were pretty much pot-committed on this strategy. The following moves, including dumping Nance and Randle, and signing Lebron, just made us even more committed. The showdown is coming this summer.

I will just comment, once again, that "max free agent" and "superstar" are different things. I think you realize this, but I'm dreading the day when Magic gives a max contract to Joe Bob Nobody, and some people start claiming that Magic did what he promised.


From everything we've seen so far, Magic is going for the homerun, not a double.


Everyone knows what he is going for. The problem is he is probably going to get the Lakers a double while tearing the ACL of the franchise in the process desperately reaching for it. That's what worries me. Trading everything for Davis, signing a guy like Cousins to the max, and whatever other terrible move he can come up wtih.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Sentient Meat
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 04 Jul 2014
Posts: 9816

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

Magic Johnson... the Dave Kingman of GMs/Team Presidents...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 34245

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject:

If Magic & LBJ ever deliver a championship there are many who would still hate on them. Such is life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2001
Posts: 10688

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
If Magic & LBJ ever deliver a championship there are many who would still hate on them. Such is life.


Certainly, but a lot more will forgive them. As Lebron said, it is a results oriented league and right now Magic is only getting negative results.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Sentient Meat
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 04 Jul 2014
Posts: 9816

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
If Magic & LBJ ever deliver a championship there are many who would still hate on them. Such is life.


Magic Johnson is my favorite player of all time... think he's better than Jordan.

But that doesn't mean I have to support his bad talk show or terrible team president performance or have him perform brain surgery on me.

If he backs off the AD or bust train and publicly admits he was wrong to destroy the team chemistry... then sure, I'll give him a second chance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 130843
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
He signed prime Lebron though.


Who did?
According to many last summer, Magic did.


Prime Lebron was in 2016.
_________________
All gave some,
Some gave all
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 130843
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
If Magic & LBJ ever deliver a championship there are many who would still hate on them. Such is life.


Pity party
_________________
All gave some,
Some gave all
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 31715

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject:

SAS blames it on management.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_E6GyEUR90
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 16326

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
He signed prime Lebron though.


Who did?
According to many last summer, Magic did.


Prime Lebron was in 2016.
Yeah. I was being sarcastic.
_________________
Music is my medicine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 21949

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject:

MustardJam wrote:
Everyone knows what he is going for. The problem is he is probably going to get the Lakers a double while tearing the ACL of the franchise in the process desperately reaching for it. That's what worries me. Trading everything for Davis, signing a guy like Cousins to the max, and whatever other terrible move he can come up wtih.


This is what worries me, too. In essence, history would be repeating itself.

But I hope that Magic will prove me wrong. I don't have some masochistic desire to see the team wrecked just to prove that Magic's plan was bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1225

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
If Magic & LBJ ever deliver a championship there are many who would still hate on them. Such is life.


You're only as good as your recent actions.

People hated jim/mitch for the moz/deng signings despite playing a role in 2 titles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
anth2000
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 4359
Location: Pasadena, CA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
SAS blames it on management.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_E6GyEUR90


As much as I hate SAS, the man is spot-freakin-on.

No way to sugarcoat this crap of a season.

Yes, I get it, injuries happen but what a crappy roster around Lebron. As much as I am not a Randle lover like some here, he would have contributed a lot more and been there throughout the season, more than KCP and Rondo.

Letting Zu go was the icing on the cake. I hate that trade and no one here can convince me otherwise. Hate it, hate it, hate it. No reason for it.

Whoever is "winging it" in the FO, be it Magic, Pelinka, Buss kids, etc., time to bring in some real experienced people. I would try and bring in Jerry West and other basketball minds. Then I think you need to replace Luke, or at best, his assistants, and put a roster together with shooters, rim protectors and rebounders. Period.

I was at the game with my family last night, and you know what I noticed? Denver has no real big household names, but you know what they have that we don't? They are well coached, good rotations, they have shooters, passers and rebounders. No big star....and here they are in the 2nd spot in the West.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 130843
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject:

Where the hell is Magic? What rock is he hiding behind? He deserves the chance to see his plan through but some accountability would be nice.
_________________
All gave some,
Some gave all
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JustaObserver
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 20 May 2017
Posts: 585

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
If Magic & LBJ ever deliver a championship there are many who would still hate on them. Such is life.


When KG and Pierce went to the Nets was it worth it?
If they won not multiple but one chip would it be worth it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 83840
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
MJST wrote:
tox wrote:
Magic brought us LeBron.



And then his inept FO decisions after that and prior to that are the reason why with leBron the Lakers are neat the 4th worst team in the West, and about to miss the Playoffs for the First time in LeBron's career since 2005.


"Getting LeBron" means nothing if you have no clue what to do with it after or prior.

And? I'm not saying Magic is a good exec.
My argument is Magic has shown he can do one thing: bring in a max free agent. If the $38M we're punting goes to a superstar this summer we're sitting pretty. Magic should get this summer to carry that out.


I agree he should get this summer, even though the he brought in LBJ argument might be backward. Even if he does though, the concern is that the other stuff that is needed is thus far lacking.
_________________
I guess I just miss my friend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
55
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 11653

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject:

MustardJam wrote:
55 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
tox wrote:
MJST wrote:
tox wrote:
Magic brought us LeBron.



And then his inept FO decisions after that and prior to that are the reason why with leBron the Lakers are neat the 4th worst team in the West, and about to miss the Playoffs for the First time in LeBron's career since 2005.


"Getting LeBron" means nothing if you have no clue what to do with it after or prior.

And? I'm not saying Magic is a good exec.
My argument is Magic has shown he can do one thing: bring in a max free agent. If the $38M we're punting goes to a superstar this summer we're sitting pretty. Magic should get this summer to carry that out.


This is where I come down. We really have no choice in the matter. Once Magic made the Russell trade, we were pretty much pot-committed on this strategy. The following moves, including dumping Nance and Randle, and signing Lebron, just made us even more committed. The showdown is coming this summer.

I will just comment, once again, that "max free agent" and "superstar" are different things. I think you realize this, but I'm dreading the day when Magic gives a max contract to Joe Bob Nobody, and some people start claiming that Magic did what he promised.


From everything we've seen so far, Magic is going for the homerun, not a double.


Everyone knows what he is going for. The problem is he is probably going to get the Lakers a double while tearing the ACL of the franchise in the process desperately reaching for it. That's what worries me. Trading everything for Davis, signing a guy like Cousins to the max, and whatever other terrible move he can come up wtih.


To be fair, you came up with those 2 horrible moves on your own. No one really knows what he offered for AD, and he hasn't signed Cousins to the max either. He didn't even sign Cousins this year for cheap when he could have, so maybe we should wait till an actual trade/signing happens before we attack him?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Posts: 14424
Location: Brazil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Magic still have one chance of making it right next summer
_________________
SPEAK IT INTO EXISTENCE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
skin
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Feb 2007
Posts: 1430

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Magic and Pelinka are just as bad as Jim
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 27334

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
MustardJam wrote:
Everyone knows what he is going for. The problem is he is probably going to get the Lakers a double while tearing the ACL of the franchise in the process desperately reaching for it. That's what worries me. Trading everything for Davis, signing a guy like Cousins to the max, and whatever other terrible move he can come up wtih.


This is what worries me, too. In essence, history would be repeating itself.

But I hope that Magic will prove me wrong. I don't have some masochistic desire to see the team wrecked just to prove that Magic's plan was bad.


This season has been bad, but it's within the range of what I expected after the free agent signings. I thought we'd be a bubble playoff team that could finish anywhere between 6 and 10th, depending on injuries and the development of the young guys.

I always saw this as a placeholder season, and next offseason is what would matter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 13 Jan 2002
Posts: 6614
Location: Lake Forest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject:

What do these guys have in common?

- Jordan
- Magic
- Isiah Thomas
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAL1947
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 26 Dec 2018
Posts: 279

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:09 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
What do these guys have in common?

- Jordan
- Magic
- Isiah Thomas

I give up, what?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Nov 2012
Posts: 4364

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:19 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
What do these guys have in common?

- Jordan
- Magic
- Isiah Thomas


1) Great Backcourt Players
2) Played in the 80s
3) Champions
4) Involved in some of the most iconic moments in NBA history
5) Rich
6) American


Oh and not good in the F.O.
_________________
Llluuukkkeee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 18188

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
What do these guys have in common?

- Jordan
- Magic
- Isiah Thomas


NBA players that were terrible in front office roles?
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 14739

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
tox wrote:
MJST wrote:
tox wrote:
Magic brought us LeBron.



And then his inept FO decisions after that and prior to that are the reason why with leBron the Lakers are neat the 4th worst team in the West, and about to miss the Playoffs for the First time in LeBron's career since 2005.


"Getting LeBron" means nothing if you have no clue what to do with it after or prior.

And? I'm not saying Magic is a good exec.
My argument is Magic has shown he can do one thing: bring in a max free agent. If the $38M we're punting goes to a superstar this summer we're sitting pretty. Magic should get this summer to carry that out.


This is where I come down. We really have no choice in the matter. Once Magic made the Russell trade, we were pretty much pot-committed on this strategy. The following moves, including dumping Nance and Randle, and signing Lebron, just made us even more committed. The showdown is coming this summer.

I will just comment, once again, that "max free agent" and "superstar" are different things. I think you realize this, but I'm dreading the day when Magic gives a max contract to Joe Bob Nobody, and some people start claiming that Magic did what he promised.

Yeah I agree. I use those two interchangeably but you're right, Khris Middleton and Tobias Harris don't get it done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Jesusdelonla
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jan 2018
Posts: 7575

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
What do these guys have in common?

- Jordan
- Magic
- Isiah Thomas


At least they are great NBA players. What is Rob pelinka's resume?
_________________
Relax, it's just a game bro
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 8 of 15
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB