2019 - Where would it Rank among Most Disappointing Laker's Season?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: 2019 - Where would it Rank among Most Disappointing Laker's Season?

Quote:
    2004:
    Four HOF's Shaq, Kobe, Malone, Payton all playing for a HOF coach Phil Jackson but lose to the Pistons in the Finals.

2005:
    Kobe's first season without Shaq nor Phil and Lakers miss making the Playoffs for only the 2nd time in team history.

2013:
    Lakers had 5 stars in Dwight, Kobe, Gasol, Artest, Nash, but Kobe hurts his Achilles and is out for the season, Lakers get swept in the 1st round.

2019:
    LeBron misses 18 games, Lakers start slipping down the standings and are likely not going to make the Playoffs.

Just a few, any else?

P.S.
2008 - Kobe asking to be traded, blowing a big lead and losing a blowout to Boston in the Finals.

Last edited by Lonzo-Lite on Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject:

When you put it in this perspective, this hurts the least from the seasons presented. LOL

I still can't read/watch anything NBA related though.
where24happens
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject:

2004 can't be topped. 2008 was gut-wrenching as well. 2013 was pretty pathetic with such a loaded roster, but at least we made the playoffs barely. 2019 I think we all expected to make the playoffs so it's a huge disappointment but we at least have somewhat of an injury excuse. Basically... I long for 1999-2002 and 2008-2010. Anything outside those years ended in disappointment.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject:

I think 1969 is considered one of the worst because we were heavy favorites against an old Celtics squad including player coach Bill Russell who would retire after they won (maybe because he didn't want to face Kareem fresh out of UCLA?)

I think we had balloons in the rafters for game 7... and then to make matters worse when we fell behind, Wilt acted hurt so he didn't have to play... then when the team made a comeback he asked back in the game... but Van Breda Kolff (the coach) wouldn't let him... and we ended up losing

poppajons
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject:

2008 for me was tough. The high from stealing Pau Gasol was quickly neutralized by losing to the Green team.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject:

This is the worst. 6 straight years in the (bleep) lottery.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Where would 2019 Rank among most Disappointing Laker's Season?

In terms of "Most Disappointing", definitely this:

Quote:
    2004:

Four HOF's Shaq, Kobe, Malone, Payton all playing for a HOF coach Phil Jackson but lose to the Pistons in the Finals.

2004 Lakers was basically the first incarnation of a "Super Team" as in stars joining together to win.

I remember during that summer once news that Payton and Malone signed with us, people were basically saying just give the Lakers a parade already.

It was also the season that had some good drama but good finishes.

This was the season that began with Kobe's infamous Colorado case. This was also the season that almost ended with Derek Fisher's 0.4 shot against the Spurs that beat us the year before! Lot of ups and downs, almost like a drama, a movie.

I remember so vividly when we got to the Finals, everyone in NBA and Lakers message boards were already congratulating us like we had already won the trophy, and we Lakers fans were already congratulating ourselves... going through all that, we deserved to win!

Never, ever, ever have expected the Pistons of all teams (who?) to come out and ruin everything. It felt like something was stolen from you personally.

Last edited by Jordan-esque on Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
MustardJam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject:

2004 by a long shot. (bleep) man every time I think about that season I get depressed. Second worst sporting moment ever as a fan (I'm also a Seahawks fan so the first isn't hard to figure out).

2005 wasn't all that brutal. They had absolutely no help so it wasn't an absolute shock that they missed. 2013 sucked but watching Kobe drag a dysfunctional team to the playoffs was still a joy. Yes, the injury sucked but he gave it all he got.

This season is second. It's not just that they are missing the playoffs. I actually don't want to watch them play. Lebron pisses me off with his effort and so does the effort of almost everyone else. Luke pisses me off. The FO pisses me off. Basically, everything about this dysfunctional mess annoys me. There's no joy in watching this team play. Even watching them suck last year was enjoyable because watching the young guys hustle and grow as a team was fun.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Where would 2019 Rank among most Disappointing Laker's Season?

Jordan-esque wrote:
In terms of "Most Disappointing", definitely this:

Quote:
    2004:

2004 Lakers was basically the first incarnation of a "Super Team" as in stars joining together to win.

I remember during that summer once news that Payton and Malone signed with us, people were basically saying just give the Lakers a parade already.

It was also the season that had some good drama but good finishes.

This was the season that began with Kobe's infamous Colorado case. This was also the season that almost ended with Derek Fisher's 0.4 shot against the Spurs that beat us the year before! Lot of ups and downs, almost like a drama, a movie.

I remember so vividly when we got to the Finals, everyone in NBA and Lakers message boards were already congratulating us like we had already won the trophy, and we Lakers fans were already congratulating ourselves... going through all that, we deserved to win!

Never, ever, ever have expected the Pistons of all teams (who?) to come out and ruin everything. It felt like something was stolen from you personally.

Yep. Nothing in recent memory touches 2004. Followed by 2008, where we were (for reasons unbeknownst to me) favoured against the better team. 2013 was also bad. 2005 not as much, because we had a horrible team. So I put this year after 2013. Yes, there are some mitigating circumstances (new roster, injuries, a lot of rentals), but still - when you get the best player in the world and don't have to trade anyone to get him, you are kind of expected to make the playoffs.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject:

This is the worst time I’ve had as a fan watching the team. They underperformed and then they quit.
Thee Black Mamba
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject:

This season wasnt that disappointing at all, but only because my foot was half out the door with Lebron coming here.

I recognized his greatness, but this team healthy was a 2nd round exit at best.

Between injuries and the trade deadline destroying the team, Im not really surprised.

If anything, the first round pick we will be receiving might come in handy for a trade this offseason.
Thee Black Mamba
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Also, Lebron coming to the Lakers reaffirms my long time belief that Kobe was and will always be the better player of the two.

Lebron's legacy is getting destroyed and scrutinized as we speak.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Thee Black Mamba wrote:
Also, Lebron coming to the Lakers reaffirms my long time belief that Kobe was and will always be the better player of the two.

apples and oranges, youre comparing kobe's best years against aging lebron who is 16 years in.
#savethekids
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject:

89 finals against the pistons. Byron out for series before series even started. Magic out for series during game 2.
Chance for a 3 peat.
Ruined my summer.
where24happens
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Thee Black Mamba wrote:

Lebron's legacy is secure. He is #2 in most people's books, GOAT to some people already, and top 5 at worst. He can only improve it by winning a ring before his career ends.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject:

2004-2007 Kobe years were awesome.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
This is the worst time I’ve had as a fan watching the team. They underperformed and then they quit.
+1
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject:

I still remember, at the beginning of the season, many here saying
we needed another star in order to compete. And all of a sudden,
it now seems we were expecting to win something? LOL

Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject:

MustardJam wrote:
2004 by a long shot. (bleep) man every time I think about that season I get depressed. Second worst sporting moment ever as a fan (I'm also a Seahawks fan so the first isn't hard to figure out).

2005 wasn't all that brutal. They had absolutely no help so it wasn't an absolute shock that they missed. 2013 sucked but watching Kobe drag a dysfunctional team to the playoffs was still a joy. Yes, the injury sucked but he gave it all he got.

This season is second. It's not just that they are missing the playoffs. I actually don't want to watch them play. Lebron pisses me off with his effort and so does the effort of almost everyone else. Luke pisses me off. The FO pisses me off. Basically, everything about this dysfunctional mess annoys me. There's no joy in watching this team play. Even watching them suck last year was enjoyable because watching the young guys hustle and grow as a team was fun.

I completely disagree. You are saying this in hindsight. 2005 was a complete shock, especially to Kobe backers like me. I remember a civil war between Shaq vs Kobe factions. And even people who backed Shaq must have been surprised at how bad we were without him. Kobe was all smiles posing with Caron Butler, Lamar Odom and Brian Grant at the conference. Those guys, especially Lamar and Caron, were exciting young pieces that just had a heck of a season with Wade and Eddie Jones in Miami. The Lakers were going to be younger, faster, Lamar was going to be Pippen, and Rudy T was back to back championship coach.

NOBODY thought the Lakers would miss the playoffs and have the year they had. Nobody.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
+1

+ 2

Although they had a strong start and then underwhelmed and then quit. The strong start makes this even more painful
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Yep. The 2004 season more of a disappointment relative to expectations, but there was never a point when I didn't want to watch the team. Or I didn't feel invested in the team or its direction. There's so many things I don't like about the state of the team and direction, and then you add on not meeting on-court expectations and quitting...

This may not be the most disappointing, but it's the least satisfying.
lakid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject:

where24happens wrote:
2004 can't be topped. 2008 was gut-wrenching as well. 2013 was pretty pathetic with such a loaded roster, but at least we made the playoffs barely. 2019 I think we all expected to make the playoffs so it's a huge disappointment but we at least have somewhat of an injury excuse. Basically... I long for 1999-2002 and 2008-2010. Anything outside those years ended in disappointment.

I mean in 2004 at least we made the finals.
This is definitely up there with 2004 and the Dwight/Nash season
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
I still remember, at the beginning of the season, many here saying
we needed another star in order to compete. And all of a sudden,
it now seems we were expecting to win something? LOL

Does possibly finishing below .500 count as expecting to win something? Because it's looking likely we won't even do that.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
ocho wrote:

Yep. The 2004 season more of a disappointment relative to expectations, but there was never a point when I didn't want to watch the team. Or I didn't feel invested in the team or its direction. There's so many things I don't like about the state of the team and direction, and then you add on not meeting on-court expectations and quitting...

This may not be the most disappointing, but it's the least satisfying.

I realize the expectations were high for 04, but there was a lot to like that year and they went to the Finals and very well could have won with a healthy Malone. What was there to enjoy this season? A few games in November?
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject:

I don't know about the Lakers, but the NE Patriots beating the Seattle Seahawks in the Superbowl because the hawks refused to run the fkn ball form the fkin one yard line still burns me up
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: