2019 - Where would it Rank among Most Disappointing Laker's Season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject:

diando wrote:
I'd say this year was more disappointing for one simple reason.
We signed a PERENNIAL FINALS LOSER.
Plain and simple.
He comes to the West and cannot even make the playoffs.

At least one guy in 2013 had enough heart to will us into the playoffs, the perennial FINALS loser tweeted about "drama" on Super Bowl Sunday and ruined team chemistry.
One guy leads by tweets, the other by action.

If you are going to use Kobe to bash Lebron for something. 1st off not sure why you want to pit two Lakers against each other as if that helps anything. Second bashing Lebron for creating drama is probably not a great take. Let's not forget Kobe was a drama magnet for most of his career. His feud with Dwight that year was very well publicized. Lebron/Kobe are two peas in a pod when it comes to drama.
#savethekids
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
No way.

There are other years.

Lakers lose to Boston in brutal final. Worthy makes the bad pass and we lose game 2. That was disappointing.

Kareem's last season. Going for the 3 peat against Pistons and scott and magic got hurt in the finals. Before the final, lakers had gone undefeated in the playoffs. That was disappointing.

Magic has to retire. The year before, we went to finals. Lakers picked up sedale threatt. Vlade was back with Worthy and Perkins. We had a pretty good team but we never got to see Magic

The year with Malone, Payton, Shaq and Kobe was disappointing because we lost to the pistons when that was a gimme to me if we had everyone.

Followed by the year with Howard, Gasol, Kobe and Nash and the Lakers's failure to hire Phil Jackson, that was a huge disappointment.

That was my vote 89 finals by far the most pain for me chance for 3 peat and magic and byron oit
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
diando wrote:
Plain and simple.

At least one guy in 2013 had enough heart to will us into the playoffs, the perennial FINALS loser tweeted about "drama" on Super Bowl Sunday and ruined team chemistry.

If you are going to use Kobe to bash Lebron for something. 1st off not sure why you want to pit two Lakers against each other as if that helps anything. Second bashing Lebron for creating drama is probably not a great take. Let's not forget Kobe was a drama magnet for most of his career. His feud with Dwight that year was very well publicized. Lebron/Kobe are two peas in a pod when it comes to drama.

They. Got. To. The. Playoffs.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
dlofan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject:

1986 Lakers is another one

Won 62 games and lost to the Houston Rockets in the WCFs (in 5 games) on a prayer of a shot by Ralph Sampson
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject:

diando wrote:
eureca wrote:
diando wrote:
Plain and simple.

At the cost of Kobe.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
diando wrote:
Plain and simple.

Except Kobe will forever be a Laker legend and to a lot of us, that's all that matters. Being a Laker legend that is.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Didn't expect more than a playoff appearance and maybe a second round elimination.

The others listed were much more disappointing because there were greater expectations.

Am surprised at how inept we seem now. Starting to think our FO don't really know what they're doing. Also, thought Lebron would show more than this. His effort seems lacking; we'd be in the playoffs with pre-Achilles Kobe leading this team - absolutely sure of it.
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
I don't know about the Lakers, but the NE Patriots beating the Seattle Seahawks in the Superbowl because the hawks refused to run the fkn ball form the fkin one yard line still burns me up

As a Pats fan, it was glorious
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject:

cisternachyli wrote:
troy wrote:
I don't know about the Lakers, but the NE Patriots beating the Seattle Seahawks in the Superbowl because the hawks refused to run the fkn ball form the fkin one yard line still burns me up

As a Pats fan, it was glorious

As a Niner fan I absolutely loved it as well
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject:

dlofan wrote:
1986 Lakers is another one

Won 62 games and lost to the Houston Rockets in the WCFs (in 5 games) on a prayer of a shot by Ralph Sampson

Had recurring nightmares of that game, that visual of Coop on the floor after the game was me for the rest of the year until Lakers made it back. The 1989 Lakers-Pistons Finals and 1990 Suns-Lakers exits were traumatic as hell.

As for disappointing, 2004 would probably rank up there.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Chad09 wrote:
diando wrote:
eureca wrote:
diando wrote:
Plain and simple.

At the cost of Kobe.

I acknowledge that fact. Kobe should have been better taken care of ever since that Dante Jones incident. However, when we talk about the difference between these two players, it's the mentality, it's the heart, it is the willingness to play defense.
There was one game where I pointed about Kobe's lack of defense against the Wizards in 2012, on this very board. Everyone here abused me for calling him out. However, that wasn't a normal thing, Kobe at least put effort in after that. I've never seen so many people make excuses for a guy who loses on the biggest stage 2/3 times.
/ImDoneWithThisTypeOfDebate

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject:

Lol 2013 roster consisted of great contributors such as:

Devin Ebanks, Darius Johnson-Odom, Jodie Meeks, Robert Sacre, Andrew Goudelock, Antwan Jamison, Steve Blake, Jordan Hill.

People acting like it was an amazing squad compared to this season is whats really funny. More than half the roster was out of the league after this season including Nash and Artest who couldnt find a team but China a year later
D. Sharp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject:

This year is definitely the most disappointing. It’s a combination of negative issues in the previous years mentioned in the OP.

The uncertainty of the team’s future of 2004
The idea of missing the playoffs of 2005
The team underperforming and finishing lower than people expected of 2013.

On top of all that, this is the first team in a while in which I can say they quit. Not that they weren’t good enough, or too undermanned, just straight up quit - and did it at a time they were needed.

Also, I think that 2008 was more bittersweet than anything else. Outside of the finals past Game 4 and the period between Bynum’s injury and getting Gasol, I thought 2008 was a great year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

AirTupac wrote:

Devin Ebanks, Darius Johnson-Odom, Jodie Meeks, Robert Sacre, Andrew Goudelock, Antwan Jamison, Steve Blake, Jordan Hill.

People acting like it was an amazing squad compared to this season is whats really funny. More than half the roster was out of the league after this season including Nash and Artest who couldnt find a team but China a year later

You’re missing the point. It’s about expectations. They absolutely started that season as a Finals contender. It turned out terribly.

I can’t think of a single poster here or even national media who had us going to th Finals.

That being said this will be a top 10 most disappointing Lakers season for me and I’ve been a fan for 30+ years.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

that season with addition of Nash, Dwight Howard imo was more disappointing:

1. we still had a prime Kobe (late in his prime years but still in it)

2. Pau Gasol in his prime

3. Nash (although up in age, but still capable of running a contending team)

4. Dwight Howard in his prime

5. MDA as the best pick 'n roll coach now armed with the best pick 'n roll combo in Nash and Howard

and then all things crashed down

this season has been disappointing, but the jury is still out on the capability of the LeBron addition until we add that 2nd or 3rd all star.
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject:

89 was disappointing especially because they were undefeated going into the finals.

04 was because if Malone didn’t get hurt I think they still find a way to get it done

08 wasn’t disappointing at all because that team wasn’t ready and no Bynum/Ariza playing hurt

13 was disappointing because of Nash’s injury but never thought that team without injury could win a chip

This year prob fifth then. Really expected LBJ to go out with a chip on his shoulder and lead the kiddos to 45-48 wins and a tough series for Hou or Gsw.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
that season with addition of Nash, Dwight Howard imo was more disappointing:

1. we still had a prime Kobe (late in his prime years but still in it)

2. Pau Gasol in his prime

3. Nash (although up in age, but still capable of running a contending team)

4. Dwight Howard in his prime

5. MDA as the best pick 'n roll coach now armed with the best pick 'n roll combo in Nash and Howard

and then all things crashed down

this season has been disappointing, but the jury is still out on the capability of the LeBron addition until we add that 2nd or 3rd all star.

Yeah, that was arguably the worse season in Lakers history.

We started the season with four future Hall of Famers and fans were fantacizing not just about a ring, but a 73-win season.

Instead, we crashed and burned. It was a lot like this season. Kobe lashed out against his teammates, saying they weren't working together and executing on defense. Then people criticized Kobe for the criticism, saying a big defensive problem was him playing passing lanes rather than his man. Fans demanded the coach be fired. Kobe and Howard were bashing each other in the press. Etc., etc.

The end of the season left us in terrible shape. The careers of Kobe and Nash all but ended. Howard, who we thought was the heir apparent, jetted. Gasol would be gone in a year.

Fans were screaming about the idiocy of the Nash deal. The idiocy of getting Howard. The idiocy of extending a still-injured Kobe, and how that one season set us back 5 years.

Hard to think of a worse season than that one, which started off with such expectations and sunk so low.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject:

2008 should not be up there. Kobe was expected to be in a Bulls uniform and if that happened you don’t get 2009 or 2010 and the last Lakers championship is probably still in 2002. People actually wanted to trade BOTH Bynum and Odom for Jermaine O’Neal; that’s how desperate it was. 2007 was worse getting humiliated by the Suns again which led to Kobe wanting to be traded. 2006 was even worse blowing a 3-1 lead and a realistic chance at the conference finals and even the finals.

And people at the time were being ridiculous in thinking a 66 win Celtics team would be easily beaten.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
Underrated disappointing year was the 97-98 team. Arguably just as talented than the 3-peat Lakers team. Shaq, Eddie, NVE, 6th man Kobe, Fox, Horry, Campbell, and Fisher. Everyone was hyping up Bulls-Lakers finals, only for the Lakers to get swept in WCF and lose to the Jazz again in back to back postseasons. 2004 is still the most disappointing season. 4 Hall Of Famers being coached by Phil Jackson should have been enough and remembered as the best collection of talent put together ever. I still contend that the Lakers beat the best team in the league in the Spurs, that had the best defensive rating ever. The Lakers beat them in 6 in the conference semi-finals, the same Spurs team that would beat the same Pistons team next year in the playoffs. 2012-13 was really bad too, but mostly because of Kobe's end, and the injuries on the team, but wasn't really big on Howard, and him leaving had a good riddance to it, and knew that the end was near.

The 98 Lakers were much more talented than the 3-peat Lakers but didn’t have experienced veterans, Shaq hadn’t won yet and was getting tons of criticism for that, and Kobe wasn’t Kobe. And Del Harris hadn’t won either.

But that 98 team was expected to beat the Jazz and give the Bulls a serious challenge. Getting swept by Utah was shocking.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
This is the worst time I’ve had as a fan watching the team. They underperformed and then they quit.

The worst for me was early Mike Brown with his 80 point slowdown games. They scored 100 only once in the first 20 games of 2011/12 and the rotation players: Sessions and Murphy and McRoberts and McMurphy and Blake and Barnes and 37 yr old Fish and Metta in the .300s. Ucchc. afkja;se;er Kobe asked for Michael Jordan and he got Jordan Hill.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject:

diando wrote:

I acknowledge that fact. Kobe should have been better taken care of ever since that Dante Jones incident. However, when we talk about the difference between these two players, it's the mentality, it's the heart, it is the willingness to play defense.

To be fair, when Kobe was 34 on that team that collapsed, their defense was pretty bad. And Kobe's defense was criticized widely, since by that point he was slacking off his man and playing passing lanes. (It was actually similar to this year: Kobe criticized his teammates defense to the press and there was a lot of "look in the mirror" feedback.)

That's not a criticism. I think it's unreasonable to expect a 34-year-old star to dominate on offense and defense, and you have to find ways to cover them. We didn't do that with 34-year-old Kobe nor with 34-year-old Lebron and both teams suffered as a result.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject:

AirTupac wrote:

Knocking down Jamison, Blake, and Hill who actually contributed to that team just to make a point actually hurt your point.

2019's Lance and Beasley and Chandler and Mo + G-Leaguers Alex Caruso and Jonathan Williams say hi by the way.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Given that I had only minor hopes for the Lakers to qualify for post-season play, this season's campaign doesn't come close to being one of the franchise's biggest disappointments for me. It falls a bit short of another couple dozen years where truly fine-looking pre-season teams faltered on their way to - or in - the NBA Finals.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject:

If we were in summer of 2018, no one on this board would of thought we would be missing the playoffs..........

It's was literally 100 % guaranteed by most laker fans.
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject:

The Dwight/Nash year was far more disappointing. You could argue Magic's HIV year was up there as well. This year it was the tease that occurred early on when the team was in the top half of the west before injuries derailed it, giving false hope. The reality was LBJ alone wasn't going to vault them into contention they always needed one more player.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: