2019 - Where would it Rank among Most Disappointing Laker's Season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Rondo has generally been trash and yet he would be on top of the list when you compare Nash, Steve Blake, Chris Duhon
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Easiest way to resolve this.

Did the 2013 Lakers team get votes to get into the NBA Finals (national media, fans, etc.)? Absolutely.

Did the 2019 Lakers team get votes to to get into the NBA Finals? Absolutely not.

I wonder why.

Exactly.

Just ask yourself a simple question: Which Lakers roster was better constructed? 2013 or 2019?

And if you’re answer is 2019, well I can’t cure delusions
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject:

AirTupac wrote:
Rondo has generally been trash and yet he would be on top of the list when you compare Nash, Steve Blake, Chris Duhon

Remember, this was Nash the year b/f joining the Lakers:

62 games started, 12.5ppg/10.7apg, 39% from 3. Was chosen as an all star in 2012.
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
AirTupac wrote:
where24happens wrote:
I think I am hearing from a couple of you that a team of Kuzma, BI, Lonzo, Rondo is better than the 2013 team of Dwight Howard, Gasol, Artest, and Nash. If the 2013 roster was trash, then what is our 2019 roster.

Youre still using big names to make an argument. Artest was a shell of himself. Gasol played himself out of the rotation and we had Earl Clark starting. If Gasol was such a stud, then why were the Lakers trying with other options at the 4? Nash was out for more than 30 games. Artest had a serious knee tear and wasn't even moving well to finish the last 2-3 months of the season. "BIG NAMES THO!!"

So why were both the national media/fan base projecting that Lakers team to be a Finals team?

Did anyone seriously project this 2019 team to be a Finals team?

Are you really using what the media says to be an argument of what the team really was? Everyone was obviously lulled into the big names signings that everyone and their moms thought championship. The production of the players and the players who were running with Kobe turned out to be the complete opposite.

And ill play your game. Yes there were people and reports suggesting Lakers could make a serious run to Western Conference finals and people suggesting they could beat Warriors if things went right.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Easiest way to resolve this.

Did the 2013 Lakers team get votes to get into the NBA Finals (national media, fans, etc.)? Absolutely.

Did the 2019 Lakers team get votes to to get into the NBA Finals? Absolutely not.

I wonder why.

Exactly.

Just ask yourself a simple question: Which Lakers roster was better constructed? 2013 or 2019?

And if you’re answer is 2019, well I can’t cure delusions

I really admire what Kobe did in 2013 b/c he literally sacrificed the rest of his career to get into the playoffs. But that's because the team underachieved playing under MDA, who ironically was running a modern day offense.

This year's team is a disaster. But we went from getting into the playoffs, maybe 2nd round, to missing it. Disaster.

But make no mistake, we had media/fans all thinking we could challenge the HEAT with a core of Kobe/Nash/Dwight/Pau. And that team severely underachieved due in part to injury. That roster was loaded.

But hey, we hate LBJ. So we need to construct a narrative.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Just did a quick google search of how the media projected the 2012-13 Lakers and you see the expectations were high:

https://www.si.com/nba/2013/12/13/nba-preview-2012-13-crystal-ball

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/cbssportscom-2012-13-nba-playoff-predictions/
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject:

I dont understand what the media's expectation has to do with how the roster actually functioned and how player's played. Everyone automatically thought WOW CHAMPIONSHIP when they heard of the names. Thats not a concrete argument.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject:

AirTupac wrote:
I dont understand what the media's expectation has to do with how the roster actually functioned and how player's played. Everyone automatically thought WOW CHAMPIONSHIP when they heard of the names. Thats not a concrete argument.

No. The post is about what was a bigger disappointment.

When you have a universally higher goal (media/fans expected a Heat/Lakers final) as opposed to this season (maybe 2nd round), that's a disappointment b/c the expectation was greater.

If you want to argue actual roster differences, you can, but that wasn't what the OP wrote about in THIS thread.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject:

AirTupac wrote:

And neither media/fans had the same expectations for this team b/c...we only had one big name.
Mr.81
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
AirTupac wrote:

62 games started, 12.5ppg/10.7apg, 39% from 3. Was chosen as an all star in 2012.

and this is Nash the year after joining the Lakers:

10 games started, 5.8 ppg 33% from 3. Was chosen to be out of the league lol.
That Nash trade was one of the Lakers worst moves in history.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Mr.81 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AirTupac wrote:

and this is Nash the year after joining the Lakers:

10 games started, 5.8 ppg 33% from 3. Was chosen to be out of the league lol.
That Nash trade was one of the Lakers worst moves in history.

So are you saying that it was DISAPPOINTING?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

IIRC Nash was injured when he ran into Lillard. Otherwise, probably would have been a steady contributor.

This is why when the OP asks what was more disappointing, I have to say 2013 over 2019. I had more expectations for a better team that was supposed to finally challenge the HEAT. And we ended up with Kobe tearing his Achilles, Dwight leaving, Nash looking damaged, and Pau rudderless.

This year sucks. But at least we'll have a lottery pick and a max slot to come this summer. Plus, BI really picked it up this year and Lonzo showed flashes (as did Kuz). So disappointing, but not as much as I was in 2013.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
IIRC Nash was injured when he ran into Lillard. Otherwise, probably would have been a steady contributor.

This is why when the OP asks what was more disappointing, I have to say 2013 over 2019. I had more expectations for a better team that was supposed to finally challenge the HEAT. And we ended up with Kobe tearing his Achilles, Dwight leaving, Nash looking damaged, and Pau rudderless.

This year sucks. But at least we'll have a lottery pick and a max slot to come this summer. Plus, BI really picked it up this year and Lonzo showed flashes (as did Kuz). So disappointing, but not as much as I was in 2013.

That's right.
That Lillard injury pretty much ended Nash's career.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Pretty amazing that 2012-13 was when two all time greats (Kobe of course much higher than Nash) had their careers snuffed out.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject:

2013 was way more disappointing than this season. Many experts picked us to play the Heat in the Finals that year. We started off terribly that year due to injuries and a poor coaching philosophy.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject:

No way.

There are other years.

Lakers lose to Boston in brutal final. Worthy makes the bad pass and we lose game 2. That was disappointing.

Kareem's last season. Going for the 3 peat against Pistons and scott and magic got hurt in the finals. Before the final, lakers had gone undefeated in the playoffs. That was disappointing.

Magic has to retire. The year before, we went to finals. Lakers picked up sedale threatt. Vlade was back with Worthy and Perkins. We had a pretty good team but we never got to see Magic

The year with Malone, Payton, Shaq and Kobe was disappointing because we lost to the pistons when that was a gimme to me if we had everyone.

Followed by the year with Howard, Gasol, Kobe and Nash and the Lakers's failure to hire Phil Jackson, that was a huge disappointment.
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Underrated disappointing year was the 97-98 team. Arguably just as talented than the 3-peat Lakers team. Shaq, Eddie, NVE, 6th man Kobe, Fox, Horry, Campbell, and Fisher. Everyone was hyping up Bulls-Lakers finals, only for the Lakers to get swept in WCF and lose to the Jazz again in back to back postseasons. 2004 is still the most disappointing season. 4 Hall Of Famers being coached by Phil Jackson should have been enough and remembered as the best collection of talent put together ever. I still contend that the Lakers beat the best team in the league in the Spurs, that had the best defensive rating ever. The Lakers beat them in 6 in the conference semi-finals, the same Spurs team that would beat the same Pistons team next year in the playoffs. 2012-13 was really bad too, but mostly because of Kobe's end, and the injuries on the team, but wasn't really big on Howard, and him leaving had a good riddance to it, and knew that the end was near.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Wait, there are some saying this current 2019 roster is better than the 2013 roster?

Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Wait, there are some saying this current 2019 roster is better than the 2013 roster?

It's pretty embarrassing.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject:

The prime Kobe/Shaq with Malone and Payton season is the most disappointing. Followed by the Nash/Howard/Kobe/Pau team. After that would be the post-Shaq Kobe team mainly because he had so much weight on his shoulders after that team broke up.

This years team is disappointing but there weren't high expectations.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Least entertaining team to watch without Lonzo that is for sure.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Hard to beat 2004 since we were so close to getting a championship and it got snuffed out in spectacular fashion, and then the team got blown up afterwards.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

You never miss an opportunity to be nice to Nash.
Screw that guy. He was a kamikaze contract sent here from PHX. Robbed us of draft picks. Didn't come to support teammates at games when hurt. Missed seasons on end but played just enough where we couldn't get insurance on his contract. And mentored other young guys on other teams as soon as we stopped paying him.

Last edited by kikanga on Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject:

It is tough to pick between 2004/2013 for the most disappointing. I guess 2013 because once we knew Kobe tore his Achilles we knew arguably the greatest Laker in franchise history was more or less done for.

Obviously this season is very disappointing. We weren't championship contenders though. It is disappointing that we can't end our streak of missing the playoffs. At one point we were hyped to be the 4th seed and maybe be able to make some noise in the playoffs and then possibly attract another top free agent. Now everything feels doom and gloom.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject:

I'd say this year was more disappointing for one simple reason.
We signed a PERENNIAL FINALS LOSER.
Plain and simple.
He comes to the West and cannot even make the playoffs.

At least one guy in 2013 had enough heart to will us into the playoffs, the perennial FINALS loser tweeted about "drama" on Super Bowl Sunday and ruined team chemistry.
One guy leads by tweets, the other by action.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: