Why do we do this every time? When Injuries are by far the #1 reason we are losing games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject:

These are a multiple reasons why we suck. Pick your poison.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
It is two things

1. The FO went with this concept of a team of high IQ players, flawed from the start as they didn't develop a team with specific roles and balanced strengths and weaknesses. You only need 1 or 2 high iq players, the other can be low iq but good at their role or position.

2. Enabled Luke to coast through the last couple of seasons, without asking him to actually have a coaching strategy or a consistent game plan. He said himself that what he liked is Rondo being a point guard on the floor. Says to me he doesn't have schemes or a vision of how the team will win games and is half expecting the players to make things happen based on a broad GSW play style. His coaching buddies make it worse, no one has actual goals to hit or specific areas to focus on. Everyone is a generalist who does everything for a subset of players. There is no specialization so there is no measurable improvement.

These are the two reasons we suck, not injuries.
Lol at high IQ players. This team construction was terrible. It was a borderline 8 spot if we were lucky. Many of us predicted 8 spot or lottery and it's looking like lottery. But hey, we have another asset we can trade away.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
We were 21-14 on Christmas and just beat the crap out of GS..3rd seed...then the injuries happened. So your boom shots fired feels more like a 2 year olds water gun. But I do agree our coach completely sucks.

Some people are in denial about this. As I said, our injuries have been ordinary. Not devastating. Not cataclysmically unfair. Just ordinary. The stats speak for themselves. We could not withstand an ordinary level of injuries. Why? Because our roster construction was bad.

This did not come as a surprise to many of us. I can remember making a comment around November that we would be in real trouble if Lebron went down. We didn't have any punch in the lineup if he went down. A bunch of people agreed with me, and a bunch of other people talked about how Lebron never got hurt. So Lebron went down, and so did our season.

But sure, how could we ever survive if Lebron missed 40 games? Oh, wait, was it 30 games? 20 games? Eh, uh, 17 games. Wait a minute, he has missed only 18 games all year. He could wind up playing in 64 of 82 games, and we're going to miss the playoffs. Stop and think about this for a moment. Lebron has played the same number of games this season as Kawhi Leonard. Lowry has played only six games more. The Raptors are 46-19.

We didn't get lucky on injuries. We didn't have light injuries. No, we just had ordinary injuries. And we collapsed. Injuries are just part of life in the NBA. Did we really think that a 34 year old player would beat the odds on injuries yet again? About half the people on the board think that Ball is a bust who should be traded ASAP, but then he gets hurt, and that's why we can't win. What?

Remember how people used to claim that we were the deepest team in the league? Some of us laughed at it then. I bet just about everyone would laugh at it now. We had no useful depth. We had one-year mercenaries who really didn't fit together.

Let me put it this way: If a team is designed so that it requires an unrealistically low level of injuries in order to succeed and make the playoffs, then the team design is incompetent. Sure, there were other issues this year, including coaching and the Anthony Davis fiasco. But if you want to tell me that injuries are why we cratered, I'm going to point to the actual injury stats (which include weighting for the significance of the injured players) and tell you that we just had an ordinary rate of injuries.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject:

Injuries have been the culprit, but it's obvious in today's game that you can't win without shooters. We don't have any. So many open 3's are getting clanked while the other team makes them.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
Injuries have been the culprit, but it's obvious in today's game that you can't win without shooters. We don't have any. So many open 3's are getting clanked while the other team makes them.

Good point...I honesty thought KCP, Kuz and Hart were better shooters than they turned out to be. Lesson learned...time to bring in better shooters than those guys.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
King Randle wrote:
We were 21-14 on Christmas and just beat the crap out of GS..3rd seed...then the injuries happened. So your boom shots fired feels more like a 2 year olds water gun. But I do agree our coach completely sucks.

Some people are in denial about this. As I said, our injuries have been ordinary. Not devastating. Not cataclysmically unfair. Just ordinary. The stats speak for themselves. We could not withstand an ordinary level of injuries. Why? Because our roster construction was bad.

This did not come as a surprise to many of us. I can remember making a comment around November that we would be in real trouble if Lebron went down. We didn't have any punch in the lineup if he went down. A bunch of people agreed with me, and a bunch of other people talked about how Lebron never got hurt. So Lebron went down, and so did our season.

But sure, how could we ever survive if Lebron missed 40 games? Oh, wait, was it 30 games? 20 games? Eh, uh, 17 games. Wait a minute, he has missed only 18 games all year. He could wind up playing in 64 of 82 games, and we're going to miss the playoffs. Stop and think about this for a moment. Lebron has played the same number of games this season as Kawhi Leonard. Lowry has played only six games more. The Raptors are 46-19.

We didn't get lucky on injuries. We didn't have light injuries. No, we just had ordinary injuries. And we collapsed. Injuries are just part of life in the NBA. Did we really think that a 34 year old player would beat the odds on injuries yet again? About half the people on the board think that Ball is a bust who should be traded ASAP, but then he gets hurt, and that's why we can't win. What?

Remember how people used to claim that we were the deepest team in the league? Some of us laughed at it then. I bet just about everyone would laugh at it now. We had no useful depth. We had one-year mercenaries who really didn't fit together.

Let me put it this way: If a team is designed so that it requires an unrealistically low level of injuries in order to succeed and make the playoffs, then the team design is incompetent. Sure, there were other issues this year, including coaching and the Anthony Davis fiasco. But if you want to tell me that injuries are why we cratered, I'm going to point to the actual injury stats (which include weighting for the significance of the injured players) and tell you that we just had an ordinary rate of injuries.
The next max FA plan. Who we then surround with a bunch of new mercenaries. Chemistry isn't built right away. Sometimes it takes a full season or even a couple of seasons. There has to be some sort of continuity. Not this revolving door that is currently happening.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
we all knew that this roster wasnt going to get it done. so did magic. he said next year.
but with that said, with all the clanking we still were 4th in the west. 4th. not 8th, not 9th, not 10th. 4th. while clanking ft's and 3's. think about that.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
King Randle wrote:

The next max FA plan. Who we then surround with a bunch of new mercenaries. Chemistry isn't built right away. Sometimes it takes a full season or even a couple of seasons. There has to be some sort of continuity. Not this revolving door that is currently happening.
we all know this. the FO knows this but you can't pay for players to be here for multiple years making real money. if you do that you wont have enough to pay an actual max guy. thats the problem. we need that other star FIRST before we start committing to role guys. you never commit to role guys first. Unless you already have a very young Borderline allstar Player (Tobias harris). but even then you use him as trade bait. why? because the clippers were going to have to pay that guy max level money. which he is not worth even though he's a very good player. you dont want to be the team that over pays tobias and never has the cash for an AD, Kyrie, Kawhi, etc.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
55 wrote:

Good point...I honesty thought KCP, Kuz and Hart were better shooters than they turned out to be. Lesson learned...time to bring in better shooters than those guys.
KCP can't shoot being the OTHER guy off the bench. KCP would be a much better player as a starter getting starter mins. he's not one of those guys that can come in and light it up regardless of his playing time. he just can't do it.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Ball had injury issues last season. Rondo is getting up in age and has also had brittleness issues. They drafted what is obviously a project in Bonga. They should have been able to do a proper assessment last season and determined that Caruso is a fringe NBA player. Yet they didn't have an actual veteran PG on the roster as insurance in case that Rondo and/or Ball had injury issues.

If the FO viewed lack of depth at PG/initiator as a serious issue that needed immediate attention, then why was Melo the player that they were giving serious consideration to adding? Melo is just about the complete opposite of what they need. New Orleans waived Tim Frazier on February 28 and as far as I can tell hasn't been picked up by any NBA team. Frazier isn't a star, but they could have given him a 10 day contract and seen how it went.

They were able to get LeBron as a free agent, but they are struggling with the small details such as having a plan in place in case one or both of their two Point Guards would be missing a notable number of games.
they were not considering melo. stop that now. if they were it was a lebron hook up thing. but you're mad at a team for not having 3 top tier pg's. not going to happen. and thats expensive to pay for. you want to go get another basically solid backup pg to be our 3rd string guy who will almost never play until everyone gets hurt? and we are supposed to get that caliber guy on a one year deal to preserve cap space?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Ball had injury issues last season. Rondo is getting up in age and has also had brittleness issues. They drafted what is obviously a project in Bonga. They should have been able to do a proper assessment last season and determined that Caruso is a fringe NBA player. Yet they didn't have an actual veteran PG on the roster as insurance in case that Rondo and/or Ball had injury issues.

If the FO viewed lack of depth at PG/initiator as a serious issue that needed immediate attention, then why was Melo the player that they were giving serious consideration to adding? Melo is just about the complete opposite of what they need. New Orleans waived Tim Frazier on February 28 and as far as I can tell hasn't been picked up by any NBA team. Frazier isn't a star, but they could have given him a 10 day contract and seen how it went.

They were able to get LeBron as a free agent, but they are struggling with the small details such as having a plan in place in case one or both of their two Point Guards would be missing a notable number of games.
they were not considering melo. stop that now. if they were it was a lebron hook up thing. but you're mad at a team for not having 3 top tier pg's. not going to happen. and thats expensive to pay for. you want to go get another basically solid backup pg to be our 3rd string guy who will almost never play until everyone gets hurt? and we are supposed to get that caliber guy on a one year deal to preserve cap space?

Sources: Lakers, Melo press pause on deal talks

Quote:

The Los Angeles Lakers and free agent Carmelo Anthony are pausing talks on a possible contract agreement unless the franchise makes a turn back toward pursuit of Western Conference playoffs contention, league sources told ESPN.

The Lakers had been leaning toward signing Anthony for the rest of the season -- until losses in four of the past five games left the organization and Anthony's camp wondering if it made sense to bring the veteran into an unsettled environment with suddenly so little chance of making the playoffs, league sources said.

Quote:

but you're mad at a team for not having 3 top tier pg's. not going to happen. and thats expensive to pay for. you want to go get another basically solid backup pg to be our 3rd string guy who will almost never play until everyone gets hurt? and we are supposed to get that caliber guy on a one year deal to preserve cap space?

Tim Frazier isn't a top tier PG, so he would be cheap to sign. Once they saw (or finally admitted) that Ball would be out for an extended period, they should have been looking for a PG. Considering that Rondo and Caruso are the only point guards that they have available, there could be some minutes for Frazier.

The needed roster spot has been available since they did the Beasley and Kuzma for Muscala trade a month ago. If the FO was concerned about depth at PG, they have had a month to address it and they haven't.

Last summer, the Nets signed Napier to be the third PG behind Russell and Dimwiddie. He has played in 53 games an averages 17.7 MPG. The Napier contract is for $1,942,422 this season and a $1,845,301 TEAM OPTION for next season.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

Quote:

The Los Angeles Lakers and free agent Carmelo Anthony are pausing talks on a possible contract agreement unless the franchise makes a turn back toward pursuit of Western Conference playoffs contention, league sources told ESPN.

The Lakers had been leaning toward signing Anthony for the rest of the season -- until losses in four of the past five games left the organization and Anthony's camp wondering if it made sense to bring the veteran into an unsettled environment with suddenly so little chance of making the playoffs, league sources said.

Quote:

but you're mad at a team for not having 3 top tier pg's. not going to happen. and thats expensive to pay for. you want to go get another basically solid backup pg to be our 3rd string guy who will almost never play until everyone gets hurt? and we are supposed to get that caliber guy on a one year deal to preserve cap space?

Tim Frazier isn't a top tier PG, so he would be cheap to sign. Once they saw (or finally admitted) that Ball would be out for an extended period, they should have been looking for a PG. Considering that Rondo and Caruso are the only point guards that they have available, there could be some minutes for Frazier.

The needed roster spot has been available since they did the Beasley and Kuzma for Muscala trade a month ago. If the FO was concerned about depth at PG, they have had a month to address it and they haven't.

Last summer, the Nets signed Napier to be the third PG behind Russell and Dimwiddie. He has played in 53 games an averages 17.7 MPG. The Napier contract is for $1,942,422 this season and a $1,845,301 TEAM OPTION for next season.
we're not just hurt at the pg spot. we're hurt all over. we need a tyson replacement too. and i aint talking about kanter or zu. i'm talking about a vet savvy solid defensive presence. who's out there?

and this all for what? to get bounced in the 1st round most likely?

you guys dont get it. this is not the year to scramble for extra little pieces because we 're trying to WIN NOW. this year was never a win now year. NEVER. so why is everyone acting so hurt when we knew this was a possibility if the injuries piled up which they have. if we had a healthy group still losing like this. i could see the tears coming out. but with all these injuries? there's nothing to really discuss. but hope our guys get healthy and lets get that star FA this summer. so next year we CAN go for the real run and sign guys like you've stated if the injury bug hits us again.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

we're not just hurt at the pg spot. we're hurt all over. we need a tyson replacement too. and i aint talking about kanter or zu. i'm talking about a vet savvy solid defensive presence. who's out there?

you guys dont get it. this is not the year to scramble for extra little pieces because we 're trying to WIN NOW. this year was never a win now year. NEVER. so why is everyone acting so hurt when we knew this was a possibility if the injuries piled up which they have. if we had a healthy group still losing like this. i could see the tears coming out. but with all these injuries? there's nothing to really discuss. but hope our guys get healthy and lets get that star FA this summer. so next year we CAN go for the real run and sign guys like you've stated if the injury bug hits us again.

Quote:

we need a tyson replacement too.

They picked him up off of waivers during the season and they did it because they needed help inside. If the roster had been put together better during the offseason, they wouldn't need to have picked him up during the season.

Quote:

but you're mad at a team for not having 3 top tier pg's. not going to happen. and thats expensive to pay for.

I refuted the expensive part by using the example of Napier signing with Brooklyn as the #3 PG. Rather than be a standup person and admit that it was possible and the FO failed to do it, you ignore it.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
55 wrote:

KCP was hot for like 5 games after he wanted to be traded. Hart started shooting with his eyes closed. Kuz is very inconsistent - he's either hot or cold, and he's more cold than hot. Even Bullock who's supposed to be a shooter couldn't hit one last game... while being WIDE open. Unless they perfected their midrange and attack game like BI, they're useless without being able to hit the 3 at a decent %.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

we need a tyson replacement too.

They picked him up off of waivers during the season and they did it because they needed help inside. If the roster had been put together better during the offseason, they wouldn't need to have picked him up during the season.

Quote:

but you're mad at a team for not having 3 top tier pg's. not going to happen. and thats expensive to pay for.

I refuted the expensive part by using the example of Napier signing with Brooklyn as the #3 PG. Rather than be a standup person and admit that it was possible and the FO failed to do it, you ignore it.
i addressed that. you wish i ignored it to make your point which i refuted. you dont agree. thats that. i still stand by what i said. you take away these injuries that we are still dealing with and we're in the playoffs. its that simple. anyone thinking otherwise is lying to themselves just to stay mad at someone else.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
King Randle wrote:
55 wrote:

KCP was hot for like 5 games after he wanted to be traded. Hart started shooting with his eyes closed. Kuz is very inconsistent - he's either hot or cold, and he's more cold than hot. Even Bullock who's supposed to be a shooter couldn't hit one last game... while being WIDE open. Unless they perfected their midrange and attack game like BI, they're useless without being able to hit the 3 at a decent %.
we found out later Hart was hurt the entire time. and is still playing on a bad knee.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
King Randle wrote:

I complained about that with Jim and Mitch. The irony is that when they finally did, they got canned.
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject:

Lakers need to invest some money into injury prevention. The injuries this year have been ridiculous. How is it that every key player goes down for extended time?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject:

And after all of that. after listening to the players exit interviews. Injuries were clearly the main issue that derailed the train. and in 2nd place trade rumors leading up to the trade deadline. but after that guys got their heads on straight per the players.

no crazy injuries and still add in the trade rumors. we would've been in the playoffs. you take away trade rumors and add back the injuries. we still miss the playoffs.

But what made it hilarious watching the exit interviews is after each player kept talking about the injuries being the #1 cause. you know what the media started doing?

Media"So player(x).... Besides the injuries, what else you think caused ...."

Thats what you call the media scratching and clawing for something juicy to hold on to. thats called trying to CREATE a narrative.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
This team won 35 games last year without a single all star. Lonzo missed his 30 games, BI was out for 20.

The roster was a bit deeper and better constructed, even if it lacked the elite top end talent of LBJ.

Yes, but they had Brook Lopez and Julius.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
This team won 35 games last year without a single all star. Lonzo missed his 30 games, BI was out for 20.

The roster was a bit deeper and better constructed, even if it lacked the elite top end talent of LBJ.

Well that's my point.

Instead of having dependable players like Brook/Julius, they spent 28m on KCP/Rondo/Lance/Beez.

You replace that clown quartet with Brook/Jules/Ellington/Seth I think we're talking about playoff matchups.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
lakerican wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Well that's my point.

Instead of having dependable players like Brook/Julius, they spent 28m on KCP/Rondo/Lance/Beez.

You replace that clown quartet with Brook/Jules/Ellington/Seth I think we're talking about playoff matchups.

Exactly.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
I agree that injuries are a big part. But not the sole part.

We have been terrible all year with Kuzma starting at center. But we through away Zubac for nothing. Muscala doesn't give us any more than Beasley gave us. Somebody who can play a few minutes and hit some shots.

I'm convinced that if we hadn't done that trade, we would have won a few more games and been in the playoff hunt.

Oh well, time to tank.

Kuzma never started @ Center
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Some people are in denial about this. As I said, our injuries have been ordinary. Not devastating. Not cataclysmically unfair. Just ordinary. The stats speak for themselves. ....

stop reading right there because thats false.
There's nothing ordinary about two of your starters being out for the season. now is there?

see thats what your precious stats dont tell you. thats the problem with only reaching for stats that make your point and not utilizing them in conjunction with what you see to make a complete overall point about what happened. what you're doing with the numbers is using them to make your point true vs looking at the entire picture to see what the reality is. you're trying to win an argument, i'm trying to tell the truth to find out what actually occurred.

There's a reason why every single player blamed injuries as the primary reason for falling off the rails and then they blamed the trade talk leading up to the trade deadline. but that was like 2 weeks worth of games, not nearly as many games as their were injuries. i mean Zo missed more time then that on his own. so did BI.

And again to prove your stance incorrect. You are also calling the actual guys who played on the team who play in the nba liars. you're trying to not only tell me but you're telling the nba players who were there that injuries were just normal . STOP IT. lol at it being normal when two guys are down for the count. and those two guys are starters and not just some random role guys.

lastly, you keep talking about roster construction. ummm...when did anyone state that this roster was perfectly constructed? no one did. we all knew this year was another year of cap space heaven which meant one year mercenaries + kids. that will never be a perfectly constructed situation. knowing what we already knew going in. the team we put together was good enough to be 4th thru 6th seed barring MAJOR CATASTROPHIC injuries that sends two starters out for good and sending your mega star out for 6 weeks and sending all of your playmakers out for who knows how many games.

yes if we would've said the hell with the cap and got a borderline all star on the level of tobias we would've done better even with injuries but not if he got hurt too. lol. because everyone on this team got hurt. the truth is, josh hart should've sat his hurt a... down. so in truth we probably are #1 in injuries if he sat down like he should have. that guy played on a bad knee the entire second half of the season. he looked horrible.

Last edited by splashmtn on Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject:

Again, you are touting the #4 in the WC trope.

Look at the other teams from 5-10 at the same time. They were .5-2.5 games back. Meaning, was too early in the season.

WE knew Lonzo had injury/durability concerns. BI has missed a good number of games. That's why you don't go out and spend a max slot on KCP/Rondo/Lance/Beez.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
Jump to: