Why do we do this every time? When Injuries are by far the #1 reason we are losing games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
A poorly constructed team is why we lose games, every team has injuries.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
where24happens wrote:
Injuries are a big part of it, but they don't explain our record since the All-Star break. We are losing to the worst teams in the NBA with a mostly healthy Lebron still playing at an extremely high level. One Lonzo injury shouldn't be causing all this losing. There are serious issues with our roster construction if Lonzo Ball's ass on the bench makes us worse than the Pheonix suns.

Yes they do explain the losing.

Its a 87% lebron out there, we all know it. sure thats better than most. But that aint enough when your other guys are also in and out of the lineup.

Since the allstar break. how many games has Zo played? Kuz? BI? Rondo? Tyson chandler?
How many games has josh hart played half hurt?

its too many dudes injured even with an 87% bron coming off of his first major injury ever.

No they don’t when it comes to the hawks, grizzlies, pelicans w/o ad and suns.

Lebron at 87% should be more than enough for those bottom dwellers, especially with a well playing bi and kuz.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
adkindo wrote:
danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
A poorly constructed team is why we lose games, every team has injuries.

Yeah, look at the Rockets. No Capela, no CP3, no problem.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject:

Of course the roster is poorly constructed.
We went all in for LBJ and rented vets to preserve cap space for this off-season.

The FO has this summer to make good on their vision.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject:

It was the injuries...just like Kobe's observation.

We were fine before Bron went down and the groin injury kept him out of shape.

Shut them down Lonzo, Bron and Kuz.

The AD talks were also contributory.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject:

Injuries doesn't explain why we traded a young productive player for an unproductive older player.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject:

It is a myth that we have an unusual number of injuries. This is a common misperception in sports: fans of a team do not have a basis for comparing their team's injuries to the injuries on other teams.

Go here, and find the chart that was posted on March 2:

https://twitter.com/ManGamesLostNBA

The x-axis is the total games lost due to injury. The size of the bubble is based on the impact of the games lost, based on one of the metrics (I don't remember which one they use -- maybe win shares). There are ten or more teams that have bubbles about the same size as ours. (The underlying data is behind a pay wall. If someone feels like dropping the bucks, go for it.)

So yes, it comes down to team construction. We could not withstand a level of injuries that was ordinary.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject:

Quote:
So yes, it comes down to team construction. We could not withstand a level of injuries that was ordinary.

Yeah.

It's not like we were expecting the team to go 16-2 while LBJ was out.

But we should have had enough roster firepower to go 8-10 for example but our grossly overpaid vets in KCP/Lance/Rondo/Beez did not rise to the occasion. Predictable.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject:

Y ask Y
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
where24happens wrote:
Injuries are a big part of it, but they don't explain our record since the All-Star break. We are losing to the worst teams in the NBA with a mostly healthy Lebron still playing at an extremely high level. One Lonzo injury shouldn't be causing all this losing. There are serious issues with our roster construction if Lonzo Ball's ass on the bench makes us worse than the Pheonix suns.

Its a 87% lebron out there, we all know it. sure thats better than most. But that aint enough when your other guys are also in and out of the lineup.

Since the allstar break. how many games has Zo played? Kuz? BI? Rondo? Tyson chandler?

its too many dudes injured even with an 87% bron coming off of his first major injury ever.

Lebron at 87% should be more than enough for those bottom dwellers, especially with a well playing bi and kuz.
you keep talking about a team that is missing one piece. we're missing multiple guys every other night. why do you guys keep bringing me examples without speaking to the entire story of our injuries? are you trying to force a point that isnt actually true?

Pels with no AD. fine. were they missing any other key bogs? NO.
were the lakers? YES, No Zo, Chandler aint right only played like 5 mins. Hart wasnt right, and shot horribly. and guess who torches us? a guard. all thanks to no zo and a hurt hart. can i even ask old man rondo to play better defense? not really.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject:

If so, why did we think spending our cap space on KCP/Beez/Lance (Rondo is sort of understandable) was the right way to stabilize the roster?

The opportunity cost of these choices were staggering.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
Injuries doesn't explain why we traded a young productive player for an unproductive older player.

Yeah every time I want to look back and say injuries hurt the team and we were tracking well before them. I remember this.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Yeah.

It's not like we were expecting the team to go 16-2 while LBJ was out.

But we should have had enough roster firepower to go 8-10 for example but our grossly overpaid vets in KCP/Lance/Rondo/Beez did not rise to the occasion. Predictable.
Rondo wasnt even healthy the entire time. this is my point. its not just lbj. its all of these dudes constantly getting hurt or being in and out of the lineup. how on earth can you develp and miaintain chemistry? you cant.

You guys are not being realistic.

remember this?

Quote:

https://heavy.com/sports/2018/12/lakers-roster-lineup-update-lebron-james-rajon-rondo-injury/
When the team continues its current stretch of games, it was known that star forward LeBron James would be out with a strained groin. But earlier this week it was revealed they’ll also be without one of their veteran leaders in Rajon Rondo.

As Lakers reporter Mike Trudell revealed, Rondo is dealing with a Grade 3 sprain to his right ring finger and missed Thursday’s game against the Sacramento Kings.

While The Athletic’s Shams Charania revealed that James is currently day-to-day after the MRI on his groin injury came back clean, the outlook for Rondo was less-than-ideal as well. As Charania reported, Rondo has a four-week timetable after undergoing surgery on his injured right hand.

Four-week timetable for Rajon Rondo with surgery for Grade 3 finger sprain in right hand. Lakers now down two of their leaders in LeBron James (groin) and Rondo. https://t.co/CCbkOhq47G

laker fans you lost your 3 best playmakers.

LBJ, down,
Rondo down twice
Zo, still down.

What team is winning like that? it aint happening. You can be unhappy with luke and the FO or even bron. But dont put them out there like this like its their fault that we are losing like we are now when that is clearly not the case. when healthy, we were 4th in the west and were not even clicking yet.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If so, why did we think spending our cap space on KCP/Beez/Lance (Rondo is sort of understandable) was the right way to stabilize the roster?

non of this has anything to do with these injuries. no matter who we had unless we had other stars. we were about to have this same bad record and probably miss the playoffs just like we are now.

You name me some vet names or other guys names not stars, allstars or borderline stars. and I'll wipe them off of the lineup at different times during the year and we will still see our same bad looking record. You can't have this many injuries laker fans. you just cant get away with that until you get that 2nd star.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject:

Quote:
You guys are not being realistic.

So do we get a mulligan and pass to make the playoffs?

Or will Magic and company realize they made a huge mistake in spending their cap on guys like KCP/Lance/Beez?

I don't see the Pacers crying about this, or the Celtics last year when they lost BOTH Hayward and Kyrie, their two stars.

We had a structurally deformed team and it reared its ugly head when LBJ went down.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

non of this has anything to do with these injuries. no matter who we had unless we had other stars. we were about to have this same bad record and probably miss the playoffs just like we are now.

You name me some vet names or other guys names not stars, allstars or borderline stars. and I'll wipe them off of the lineup at different times during the year and we will still see our same bad looking record. You can't have this many injuries laker fans. you just cant get away with that until you get that 2nd star.

No, you can have enough of a rotation where you can still go 8-10 when LBJ is out.

But no, our vets went M.I.A.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
Theseus wrote:

Yeah every time I want to look back and say injuries hurt the team and we were tracking well before them. I remember this.
who are we talking about? Zu. Zu produced on offense and looked good some nights. then got worked over other nights. there's a reason he was on the bubble again this season. just because you see a kid go on a nice little stretch doesnt mean he figured it ALL out. it could mean simply the right circumstances were there to make him look good. the team we played doesnt have anyone that can guard him. and he doesnt have to worry about guarding a high level player at his position. its like us getting Kanter. great game in the paint, but can't guard a soul. but the nights he doesnt have to guard the C due to the fact some teams dont have good C's. then he looks like an allstar.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject:

Nope!

#1 reason we're not making the playoffs is coaching. In fact, I blame the coaching staff's terrible game plan of running hard and fast for why Lebron got injured. His old age was never going to be able to keep up with that stupid pace. Puke just has 0 offensive scheme so to mask that he tried to run a super fast pace which led to Bron popping his groin.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

No, you can have enough of a rotation where you can still go 8-10 when LBJ is out.

So we are going to act like Rondo aint one of our vets? are we going to act like we didnt lose rondo TWICE for a nice stretch?

NO playmaker no wins. one old man trying to playmake all game long for multiple games aint going to work either. thats called burnout. this is what you are witnessing now. you do realize hart has been playing hurt for a few months now. he should've sat down if you ask me. now blame that on luke or the medical staff.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
where24happens wrote:

you keep talking about a team that is missing one piece. we're missing multiple guys every other night. why do you guys keep bringing me examples without speaking to the entire story of our injuries? are you trying to force a point that isnt actually true?

Pels with no AD. fine. were they missing any other key bogs? NO.
were the lakers? YES, No Zo, Chandler aint right only played like 5 mins. Hart wasnt right, and shot horribly. and guess who torches us? a guard. all thanks to no zo and a hurt hart. can i even ask old man rondo to play better defense? not really.

So what about the hawks, grizzlies and suns?

Doesn’t matter, those teams can’t bring out a player on the calibur of lebron at 87%, let alone with a well playing bi and kuz at the same time. That’s why they’re bottom dwellers.

You shouldn’t need hart and chandler to beat those teams and if you do the problem isn’t injuries.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

So we are going to act like Rondo aint one of our vets? are we going to act like we didnt lose rondo TWICE for a nice stretch?

NO playmaker no wins. one old man trying to playmake all game long for multiple games aint going to work either. thats called burnout. this is what you are witnessing now.

All I hear is excuses. Other teams don't care. They have players recovering, etc.

So we have 12m on KCP. What did he do for us?

Lance/Beez make more than Brook did. And so on.

Magic made our bed and the team clearly wet it when LBJ went out.

I'm not discounting injuries, but we can't rely on that crutch when the whole team construction was flawed from the get go. LBJ's great play was papering over so many roster issues.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject:

This team won 35 games last year without a single all star. Lonzo missed his 30 games, BI was out for 20.

The roster was a bit deeper and better constructed, even if it lacked the elite top end talent of LBJ.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

Look at the Indiana Pacers and Clippers for examples of teams with either big injuries to star players or little talent yet they continue to win games. Why? Because they have excellent coaching! A good coach can overcome injuries and get a lower talent roster to play hard every night and run a scheme that optimizes the talents of the roster rather than trying to foolishly out pace teams with no actual system in place.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Of course the roster is poorly constructed.
We went all in for LBJ and rented vets to preserve cap space for this off-season.

The FO has this summer to make good on their vision.
that too. but bad roster and all. we were stillllll 4th. why do people act like that was not the case when we were healthy?

This year was a barely make the playoffs year. get the kids some post season burn and see what we got and get this summer. but we were trending in 4th place. thats a bit better than barely making the offs. then the wheels fell off.
rondo down again, Bron down for the longest time ever in his career(lucky us.) Zo down(has been healthy as could be for the entire year and now he's probably done for the season),
Chandler hasnt been right for a solid month.
Mcgee is dealing with burn out. chandler was supposed to take some of those mins while still maintaining a solid defensive presence(zu could not do this vs the elite C's and athletic c's, zu could score on all those guys but thats it.)

Kuz goes down with an issue, Bi goes down. they come back. bron aint 100% healed from that injury. shoot, i dont even know if rondo's hand is healed all the way.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject:

No. I think most of agree that injuries had a big part.

But then the next question is why did it affect the team so adversely?

It's because the team wasn't constructed properly.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8
Jump to: