Why the Lakers Should Sign a Top 10 Shooter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerFan1977
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Why the Lakers Should Sign a Top 10 Shooter

There is no doubt we need shooters, here is a list of the top ten best shooters out there, Klay Thompson has shown interest, and Bradley Beal is a two way player that is a free agent signing no brainer.

https://www.nba.com/2015/news/hca/03/02/the-list-top-10-shoot
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Why the Lakers Should Sign a Top 10 Shooter

LakerFan1977 wrote:
There is no doubt we need shooters, here is a list of the top ten best shooters out there, Klay Thompson has shown interest, and Bradley Beal is a two way player that is a free agent signing no brainer.

https://www.nba.com/2015/news/hca/03/02/the-list-top-10-shoot

Klay is pipe and Beal isn’t a FA. I’d be down to send a few picks and a young player out for him if we don’t sign a max guy.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject:

Svi was the top 3 point shooter in college last season... ahead of Shamet... playing with the 2nd hardest schedule at Kansas while Wichita State had the 50th most difficult.

Philly played Shamet in the rotation regularly even though they had a better team than ours.

Luke let Svi rot on the bench, and threw him in games randomly... then wondered why he kept missing.

So we traded a cheap cost controlled shooter for someone who cost more and looks like will end up a lateral move at best.

I'm just wondering who's the genius in the front office that thought we only needed one shooter, when our competition for titles all have multiple good shooters.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:

Draft Coby White!
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Draft Coby White!

Yeah Coby or DeAndre would be good if freaking Magic and Rob don't trade the pick...
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject:

no matter..._________ will get to the Lakers and forget how to shoot
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject:

Lakers should sign Reggie Miller. What's Peja Stojakovic up to these days?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject:

The link appears to be broken, and the article appears to be from 2015 anyway.

Edit:

I went and found the article out of curiosity.

https://www.nba.com/2015/news/hca/03/02/the-list-top-10-shooter-in-the-nba/

Yes, it's 2015. I do agree that signing Curry and Durant would help our shooting issues.

Last edited by Aeneas Hunter on Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject:

Seth Curry would be a good pickup
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The link appears to be broken, and the article appears to be from 2015 anyway.

This thread appears to be broken as well.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Svi was the top 3 point shooter in college last season... ahead of Shamet... playing with the 2nd hardest schedule at Kansas while Wichita State had the 50th most difficult.

Philly played Shamet in the rotation regularly even though they had a better team than ours.

Luke let Svi rot on the bench, and threw him in games randomly... then wondered why he kept missing.

So we traded a cheap cost controlled shooter for someone who cost more and looks like will end up a lateral move at best.

I'm just wondering who's the genius in the front office that thought we only needed one shooter, when our competition for titles all have multiple good shooters.
This 100% accurate. Lakers had way too many SG on the team (Hart, KCP, Lance, Svi . Should've traded/waived Lance to free up time for Svi but Svi got traded instead. Made no sense to me.
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

We just need guys who can shoot and make free-throws period. Doesn’t necessarily have to be an all time great like Klay (who will want max money and a bigger role).

No excuse for us letting Dlo, Nick, Brook, JC ALL go and replace them with slashers who can’t hit FTs (Rondo, Lance, Beasley)

I’d keep Bullock. But BI & Zo need to lock their asses in the gym and practice shooting till their arms fall off.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

Unlike other instances where we traded guys who instantly become regular rotation players and/or all-stars elsewhere, Svi continues to rot on the bench in Detroit. He's played all of 7 minutes. Bullock was going for his 4th consecutive season of being a >38% 3 point shooter (with 2 seasons north of 40%) before getting to LA, where, as happens to everyone here, he forgot how to shoot.

The more interesting question is why guys improve at 3pt shooting when they leave and why do they seemingly regress when coming to LA? Hell, Clarkson became a 40% 3 pt shooter next to Lebron. LeBron comes here, everyone sucks who plays off him. I wouldn't be surprised if some analytics demonstrated a Lakers specific depression of shooting accuracy. This, in turn, would lead management to look for reasons why (since it's unlikely to be player specific if it is a general effect). You would want to look for comparisons with other teams and what's different. You would then likely find that other teams invest in shooting coaches and/or prioritize shooting practice. Then you might look at your own organization and go, hmmm, we seem to neglect this. Then you address said problem and maybe you shoot like a regular NBA team.

Or, yeah, we could go get more shooters, say sign Seth Curry and Joe Harris, and then watch in horror as both become sub-35% 3 pt shooters here.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Unlike other instances where we traded guys who instantly become regular rotation players and/or all-stars elsewhere, Svi continues to rot on the bench in Detroit. He's played all of 7 minutes. Bullock was going for his 4th consecutive season of being a >38% 3 point shooter (with 2 seasons north of 40%) before getting to LA, where, as happens to everyone here, he forgot how to shoot.

The more interesting question is why guys improve at 3pt shooting when they leave and why do they seemingly regress when coming to LA? Hell, Clarkson became a 40% 3 pt shooter next to Lebron. LeBron comes here, everyone sucks who plays off him. I wouldn't be surprised if some analytics demonstrated a Lakers specific depression of shooting accuracy. This, in turn, would lead management to look for reasons why (since it's unlikely to be player specific if it is a general effect). You would want to look for comparisons with other teams and what's different. You would then likely find that other teams invest in shooting coaches and/or prioritize shooting practice. Then you might look at your own organization and go, hmmm, we seem to neglect this. Then you address said problem and maybe you shoot like a regular NBA team.

Or, yeah, we could go get more shooters, say sign Seth Curry and Joe Harris, and then watch in horror as both become sub-35% 3 pt shooters here.

It could be that Luke has a quick hook... (unless you are a vet like Rondo or LBJ) so they know if they start missing they will sit. For whatever reason... all of our shooters are playing like they are scared of missing... including Bullock and Muscala.

Now that the season is over... I'd just give steady minutes to Reggie, Muscala... give the green light to Ingram and Kuzma... and just let them shoot the fear out of their system.

And remember... Detroit is no genius organization either... I believe Svi will be a good player if they play him.... and btw I like Reggie too.

I'm only annoyed because especially if we trade everyone to sign three stars... we will need Svi's cheap contract and will probably have to let Reggie go.

We should have offered other players... even Hart... and kept Svi to play with Reggie.

Last edited by Sentient Meat on Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject:

This title is perplexing

Why would any team not want to sign a top 10 shooter
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
This title is perplexing

if said shooter can't do anything else but chuck. they may choose a top 30 shooter that can also handle the ball, penetrate and dish and or play defense too.

you rarely see teams win it all with pure shooters who cant do anything else but shoot. i'm not sure if they ever win it all to be honest. you usually at worse have to have a 3 and d type of guy get hot in the playoffs. This is what magic/the lakers for years have never wanted. they never wanted one dimensional players because they know when you get into the playoffs teams will key in on that guy and just stop him from doing that one thing he's great at . which completely nullifies him as a player on the court.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
This title is perplexing

I had the same thought. Top 10 shooters are what every team in the league wants and needs.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject:

A top 100 shooter would be nice.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
This title is perplexing

See, I was against the idea, but then this thread changed my mind.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject:

No point in signing a shooter if he can't play frickin' defense.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject:

.4 wrote:

Assistant GM for Sacramento
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
No point in signing a shooter if he can't play frickin' defense.

You mean like the way we passed on Brook, IT, Boogie, Randle to sign this stalwart group of defenders?

At least those guys can score.

We've managed to find many who do neither.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
This title is perplexing

See, I was against the idea, but then this thread changed my mind.

Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

Bard207 wrote:
.4 wrote:

Assistant GM for Sacramento

You think he'd take the MLE?
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Draft Coby White!

Nice.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: