Net Fans Thank Magic Johnson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
george w kush wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
They got an overrated point guard who they will have to overpay to keep this summer, good for them.

I'll take Kuz or Hart anyday off the week and the extra cap space doesn't hurt

The guy is going to demand at least $20 million this summer. No thanks, especially with his history of knee troubles. The guy to me looks like he’s playing for a contract and nothing more.

And he’s a rat.

this is exactly the kind of mindset that has led us to become a laughingstock in the NBA. We have LBJ but we’re now tanking. And we let a talented kid go bc or an errant video prank when he was just 20. This is what poverty franchises do.

A lot of people deserve this Lakers team.
100%

TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject:

^Exactly
botox
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lol at people still hating on DLO. we lost on that. It is what it is.
we didnt lose on that at all. because you trade away a good player to get rid of a bad contract to create cap space for a hall of fame player isnt losing.

you have to give up something to get something in return.

again, there is zero difference between Nick the quick and DLo. NON. he didnt ride with the lakers and win rings either. He was gone before we started winning. remember he was an allstar even while on the lakers, so was eddie jones. both gone. why? we had to get better and make room. We're not in the business of over paying really good players but that are not great players and that can't move the needle in terms of are we contenders or not. dont worry, we will give up another kid or two before its all said and done and that kid will be a baller on another team too. AND..SO WHAT. Good for those guys. we're trying to set ourselves up to win multiple rings. not just be a solid team forever hovering around 5th place but never getting over the hump.

we have LBJ and we’re about to tank. Let that sink for a minute.

He's only 34 years old, yinoma. Plenty of time left.

I've never been enamored with Russell, think he's limited, but he has played better this year and has the Nets in the playoffs. Am I disappointed he's gone? Hell no.

But there is a lesson to be learned about young guys. Don't give up too soon.

LeBron is great, but you don't build a team around an aging superstar. He's just a piece, at this stage in his career, to help us build a championship team. You build this team around Zo and Ingram, whose best is yet to come. They're our future. I'd trade LeBron before I let Zo and Ingram go. You don't scrap the future to get LeBron one more ring.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
george w kush wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
They got an overrated point guard who they will have to overpay to keep this summer, good for them.

I'll take Kuz or Hart anyday off the week and the extra cap space doesn't hurt

The guy is going to demand at least $20 million this summer. No thanks, especially with his history of knee troubles. The guy to me looks like he’s playing for a contract and nothing more.

And he’s a rat.

this is exactly the kind of mindset that has led us to become a laughingstock in the NBA. We have LBJ but we’re now tanking. And we let a talented kid go bc or an errant video prank when he was just 20. This is what poverty franchises do.

A lot of people deserve this Lakers team.
100%

JeffreyRashad
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject:

I actually saw someone call DLO a 'rat' in the year 2019

... whew chile

Prod: Drake - 'Is There More'

Lakers fan since age 2. Nick Van Exel was my first hero
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I've never been enamored with Russell, think he's limited, but he has played better this year and has the Nets in the playoffs. Am I disappointed he's gone? Hell no.

LeBron is great, but you don't build a team around an aging superstar. He's just a piece, at this stage in his career, to help us build a championship team. You build this team around Zo and Ingram, whose best is yet to come. They're our future. I'd trade LeBron before I let Zo and Ingram go. You don't scrap the future to get LeBron one more ring.

Yeah just a limited 20pt/7assist all star who carried his team when the other guards went down with injuries, and who's apparently won fans over in Brooklyn. Good riddance to him. We've got one year rentals like Lance and KCP to poop on the floor for us when injuries hit and our team needs a lift.

Other than that I agree. I've always felt, ever since the Howard/Nash fiasco, that you don't scrap the future for one quick supposedly sure-fire ring.

Magic's strategy is 2 Max and he's willing to spend young assets to get there. After he threw Zubac away for nothing I'm real skeptical but we'll see.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Quote:

Yeah just a limited 20pt/7assist all star who carried his team when the other guards went down with injuries, and who's apparently won fans over in Brooklyn. Good riddance to him. We've got one year rentals like Lance and KCP to poop on the floor for us when injuries hit and our team needs a lift.

Other than that I agree. I've always felt, ever since the Howard/Nash fiasco, that you don't scrap the future for one quick supposedly sure-fire ring.

Magic's strategy is 2 Max and he's willing to spend young assets to get there. After he threw Zubac away for nothing I'm real skeptical but we'll see.

DLO is the 25th rated PG in the league in terms of RPM, sandwiched in between tyus jones and Reggie Jackson. I’m not sure where this idea that we let go of some transcendent player comes from, if you know anything about basketball or respect advanced stats in the least there is no reasonable argument that can be made. He’s the 95th best player in the league who is going to need a big contract extension due to dipo getting hurt. If you can’t see he’s trash, your agenda is to bash our FO.
botox
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Quote:

For the record, Luke and Magic also weren't enamored with him. Not that that means much. But it looks like DLO has matured as a man and a player. And he's having a good year. Hope he keeps it up.

I agree, Zubac trade was malpractice. 2 max plan is only ideal if you keep the under 25 crew. If you can't get another max FA, I'd consider trading the lottery pick and Hart and Kuz to get a Beal type player. And that probably still won't be enough. But keeping Zo and Ingram is a must, imo

I like a lineup of

Ball
Beal
Ingram
Bron
And whoever (Zu woulda been nice)
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject:

botox wrote:
But it looks like DLO has matured as a man and a player.

It is because of something the front office has yet to grasp.

That this is what happens with talented players as they go from 19 to 23.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Quote:

DLO is the 25th rated PG in the league in terms of RPM, sandwiched in between tyus jones and Reggie Jackson. I’m not sure where this idea that we let go of some transcendent player comes from, if you know anything about basketball or respect advanced stats in the least there is no reasonable argument that can be made. He’s the 95th best player in the league who is going to need a big contract extension due to dipo getting hurt. If you can’t see he’s trash, your agenda is to bash our FO.

Is RPM the be all, end all to player evaluation? Using this as your sole argument is a joke. Joe Ingles is 24th in RPM. Is he the 24th best player in the NBA? That's All-Star range. Rudy Gay is 39th. Is he still almost a borderline All-Star? Citing a single statistic, particularly plus-minus, is the the laziest way to evaluate players in basketball. Hell, Ed Davis is 40th in the NBA in RPM. is he one of the top 5% of players in the NBA? Is he the reason the Nets are winning? No one who actually watched these teams and players play can say this.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lol at people still hating on DLO. we lost on that. It is what it is.
we didnt lose on that at all. because you trade away a good player to get rid of a bad contract to create cap space for a hall of fame player isnt losing.

you have to give up something to get something in return.

again, there is zero difference between Nick the quick and DLo. NON. he didnt ride with the lakers and win rings either. He was gone before we started winning. remember he was an allstar even while on the lakers, so was eddie jones. both gone. why? we had to get better and make room. We're not in the business of over paying really good players but that are not great players and that can't move the needle in terms of are we contenders or not. dont worry, we will give up another kid or two before its all said and done and that kid will be a baller on another team too. AND..SO WHAT. Good for those guys. we're trying to set ourselves up to win multiple rings. not just be a solid team forever hovering around 5th place but never getting over the hump.

Too bad ther couldn’t use that cap space to sign a HOF FA. You especially don’t do it 2+ years before you can hopefully use that space.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject:

DLo is a fine player. I was higher on him then KAT and people called me crazy. I know its not all said and done, but that was a good pick for the Lakers.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Quote:

Is RPM the be all, end all to player evaluation? Using this as your sole argument is a joke. Joe Ingles is 24th in RPM. Is he the 24th best player in the NBA? That's All-Star range. Rudy Gay is 39th. Is he still almost a borderline All-Star? Citing a single statistic, particularly plus-minus, is the the laziest way to evaluate players in basketball. Hell, Ed Davis is 40th in the NBA in RPM. is he one of the top 5% of players in the NBA? Is he the reason the Nets are winning? No one who actually watched these teams and players play can say this.

His numbers say he is average, my eyes tell me he is average/sucks, he was here for a while and we as a team sucked, I have enough evidence to conclude he sucks.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Quote:

Also he is still very young. Could of used his 3pt shooting and playmaking ability this year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
governator wrote:
2nd max will trump anything the Nets have but til then... grade Incomplete

Only if Magic and co. can actually build a competitor around them.

They got LBJ, who was a consensus top 3 player last year, and failed to build a playoff (not championship) team around him.

There's a world where we get a 2nd max FA and they still fail to value players appropriately or field the right team.

true, hope it breaks for us finally, been a long playoff less years

We are turning into the McCourt Dodgers under Jeanie.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Quote:

Russell is 13th in ORPM having just turned 23. Every guard ahead of him is 26 years old and up. DLo is showing that he can be a solid team's offensive engine at a pretty young age and if he can become a +3-4 ORPM player in the next couple years he's absolutely a star even if his defense drags him down a bit (most high volume initiators aren't particularly great defenders, anyway). RPM can be a useful starting point, but it's worth digging into and contextualizing the data point.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject:

JeffreyRashad wrote:
I actually saw someone call DLO a 'rat' in the year 2019

... whew chile

I cannot even convey how hard I laughed out loud when I read this. So much yes!

trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Why can't we still appreciate Russel while still being happy with our players? There is a difference between a bad trade, and a calculated gamble. If PG comes here nobody is mentioning Russel. It didn't work out. We'll be okay.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Russell is 13th in ORPM having just turned 23. Every guard ahead of him is 26 years old and up. DLo is showing that he can be a solid team's offensive engine at a pretty young age and if he can become a +3-4 ORPM player in the next couple years he's absolutely a star even if his defense drags him down a bit (most high volume initiators aren't particularly great defenders, anyway). RPM can be a useful starting point, but it's worth digging into and contextualizing the data point.

You can get most NBA fans to agree that a player's prime is in their late 20's - early 30's.

And then most of them will forget that when arguing about a player in their early 20's.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
KBH wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Quote:

His numbers say he is average, my eyes tell me he is average/sucks, he was here for a while and we as a team sucked, I have enough evidence to conclude he sucks.

Glad you're confirming Joe Ingles is one of the best players in the NBA to you.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Quote:

Well, the bolded is the thing. RPM is a useful stat to draw some information from. But if you're not applying context, due to ignorance or bias, then it's useless just like any other stat is without context.
RealSkipBayless
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Getting rid of that inefficient chucker wasn’t a mistake.

Randle leaving was the blow. That guy is legit.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

You can get most NBA fans to agree that a player's prime is in their late 20's - early 30's.

And then most of them will forget that when arguing about a player in their early 20's.

Exactly. I'm impressed with Spencer Dinwiddie, as well, but the dude is three years older and DLo passed him by this season. Some folks here and among the Nets fanbase would've been shocked at the outcome less than a year ago.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
KBH wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Quote:

Glad you're confirming Joe Ingles is one of the best players in the NBA to you.

Joe Ingles is a really good NBA player, tho
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject:

RealSkipBayless wrote:
Getting rid of that inefficient chucker wasn’t a mistake.

Randle leaving was the blow. That guy is legit.

Living up to your namesake. And I'm a Randle guy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10
Jump to: