Build The Culture, Stop Tanking Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject:

To quote NVE: "Cancuun, Cancuun, Cancuun...."
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Build The Culture, Stop Tanking Thread

The Lebrons wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Maybe I'm in the minority, but even the early 90s Lakers were in the lottery just once, the mid 00s in the lottery once, and tanking for losses is lame.

Play with effort. Maybe win some games. There are guys that I like that may be gone by the Lakers pick, but that 1 guy isn't worth the franchise's culture.

I agree with this take in theory. However, when half the team is on 1 year deals and the other half think they're getting traded, it's really hard to build culture (the FO took this for granted obviously). Last season we had guys like Brook, Randle, IT, Brewer, and Nance who played hard, and we actually had culture, even though it was the same scenario. Lebron, Rondo, JaVale, Lance, and KCP aren't going to give any effort on D. What else can we do this season? We're not even tanking. Guys this season just don't care. Don't make that mistake again. Sign guys who play hard.

Then don't play them. Simple.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Build The Culture, Stop Tanking Thread

Mike@LG wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Maybe I'm in the minority, but even the early 90s Lakers were in the lottery just once, the mid 00s in the lottery once, and tanking for losses is lame.

Play with effort. Maybe win some games. There are guys that I like that may be gone by the Lakers pick, but that 1 guy isn't worth the franchise's culture.

I agree with this take in theory. However, when half the team is on 1 year deals and the other half think they're getting traded, it's really hard to build culture (the FO took this for granted obviously). Last season we had guys like Brook, Randle, IT, Brewer, and Nance who played hard, and we actually had culture, even though it was the same scenario. Lebron, Rondo, JaVale, Lance, and KCP aren't going to give any effort on D. What else can we do this season? We're not even tanking. Guys this season just don't care. Don't make that mistake again. Sign guys who play hard.

Wouldn't mind watching Caruso, Bonga, Wear, Moe, Williams playing their heart out
BROW GOAT 23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Everybody has given up. Coach Luke has stopped coaching. Vets r nowhere to be found.

Culture will be build by new coach and probably new GM. When both Luke,Magic and pelinka r fired

Fixed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Build The Culture, Stop Tanking Thread

governator wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Wouldn't mind watching Caruso, Bonga, Wear, Moe, Williams playing their heart out

Exactly.

cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject:

Let's start by not signing players to 1 year deals. This leads to lack of cohesion. Second is patience from the FO, Coaches, Players and Fans. It is lack of patience that led the team to dump DLO to rid themselves of Mosgov and to let Randle walk. Both had good years with other teams. There are people here already ready to give up on Ingram but he needs time. You can see the talent just give it a little more time.

Luke does need to go. Luke lost me last year with the handling of Russell and he is too bent on replicating the Warriors approach regardless of personnel.

Finally no more knuckleheads. What did you expect with the players they signed this year. ALL have infamous and well deserved reps. One may work in the right situation but don't stack the team with them.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Build The Culture, Stop Tanking Thread

[quote="Mike@LG"][quote="governator"][quote="Mike@LG"][quote="The Lebrons"][quote="Mike@LG"]Maybe I'm in the minority, but even the early 90s Lakers were in the lottery just once, the mid 00s in the lottery once, and tanking for losses is lame.

Play with effort. Maybe win some games. There are guys that I like that may be gone by the Lakers pick, but that 1 guy isn't worth the franchise's culture.[/quote]

I agree with this take in theory. However, when half the team is on 1 year deals and the other half think they're getting traded, it's really hard to build culture (the FO took this for granted obviously). Last season we had guys like Brook, Randle, IT, Brewer, and Nance who played hard, and we actually had culture, even though it was the same scenario. Lebron, Rondo, JaVale, Lance, and KCP aren't going to give any effort on D. What else can we do this season? We're not even tanking. Guys this season just don't care. Don't make that mistake again. Sign guys who play hard.[/quote]

Then don't play them. Simple.[/quote]

Wouldn't mind watching Caruso, Bonga, Wear, Moe, Williams playing their heart out[/quote]

Exactly.[/quote]

Don’t like the way we build this team. Tanked for picks, rented half team for FA...... it’s a new and strange experience to me.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Build The Culture, Stop Tanking Thread

Mike@LG wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Agreed. We saw that for 15 minutes last game. But does Luke have the balls to bench them? He benched JaVale and KCP, but I don't think he has it in him to bench Rondo, unfortunately.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
We can't build a culture with a FO that's punting every year that refuses to reward consistency and solid play with remaining on the team.

Yeah the punt needs to stop next year. Players can’t give their all if they don’t have a sense of stability.

if you cannot sign a max guy, then they need to immediately shift towards signing quality vets on mutilyear deals, allowing them to help contribute to wins, and then heavily focused on developing the kids.

My gut says they start again swinging for AD.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Being in the lottery led to the team drafting Eddie Jones and Andrew Bynum fwiw. Does Shaq even join the Lakers in the future if Eddie Jones isn’t on that team?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Build The Culture, Stop Tanking Thread

Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

That is how the top organizations operate. Neither Jim or Jeanie Buss have the slightest clue how to do that. That would be the value of having Jerry West, he did it in GS and is doing it for the Clippers. Organizational changes aren’t being made, we continue operating by being reactive rather than proactive. Write a mission statement, decide what kind of an organization we want to be and then bring in FO/coaches/players who fit those objectives. Our FO is jumping in at step 3 while ignoring steps 1 and 2. The model is out there, the Spurs and Warriors are great examples. The 1980-2012 Lakers are great examples. Trying to take shortcuts usually results in failure.

And who can forget the masterful work he did with the Grizzlies.

That’s what you got out of that post?

It's just more fawning over a man who willingly left and isn't coming back. Jerry West isn't the only good basketball mind in the league. Let's move on.

The rest is just conjecture. Write a mission statement? Not writing a mission statement isn't the problem here. Magic and Rob clearly had a vision in mind, and that vision turned out poorly.

No they don’t, that is bull. Let’s build a team with toughness and playmakers. Then when they have no shooting, let’s trade whatever we can for shooters. No plans, just react to the previous mistakes.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Build The Culture, Stop Tanking Thread

Username wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

That is how the top organizations operate. Neither Jim or Jeanie Buss have the slightest clue how to do that. That would be the value of having Jerry West, he did it in GS and is doing it for the Clippers. Organizational changes aren’t being made, we continue operating by being reactive rather than proactive. Write a mission statement, decide what kind of an organization we want to be and then bring in FO/coaches/players who fit those objectives. Our FO is jumping in at step 3 while ignoring steps 1 and 2. The model is out there, the Spurs and Warriors are great examples. The 1980-2012 Lakers are great examples. Trying to take shortcuts usually results in failure.

It's just more fawning over a man who willingly left and isn't coming back. Jerry West isn't the only good basketball mind in the league. Let's move on.

The rest is just conjecture. Write a mission statement? Not writing a mission statement isn't the problem here. Magic and Rob clearly had a vision in mind, and that vision turned out poorly.

That vision was announced for the world to hear. Jeanie apparently thought these 2, with no front office experience would know how to operate the FO, and wouldn't need anybody with FO experience to help them.

There are quite a few people with experience in the front office, outside of Magic and Rob.

So except for the ones actually making decisions
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Being in the lottery led to the team drafting Eddie Jones and Andrew Bynum fwiw. Does Shaq even join the Lakers in the future if Eddie Jones isn’t on that team?

But the team was built around Elden Campbell, NVE, Vlade, etc.

It's the steal picks that made the core.

Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Build The Culture, Stop Tanking Thread

venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

That vision was announced for the world to hear. Jeanie apparently thought these 2, with no front office experience would know how to operate the FO, and wouldn't need anybody with FO experience to help them.

There are quite a few people with experience in the front office, outside of Magic and Rob.

So except for the ones actually making decisions

But they are able to make a presumably informed decision, based off information given to them by others. Magic and Rob are hardly the first President/GM in the NBA/sports to have no prior front office experience.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Build The Culture, Stop Tanking Thread

venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

No they don’t, that is bull. Let’s build a team with toughness and playmakers. Then when they have no shooting, let’s trade whatever we can for shooters. No plans, just react to the previous mistakes.

Building a team with toughness and playmakers was the plan. How can you say there's no plan when a sentence earlier, you literally laid out what the exact plan was?

The plan failed. Are they supposed to keep the plane in a nosedive, or try to get it back upright by changing plans? That's not being "reactionary" - it's being smart.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: