JESSE BUSS for GM.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
I don’t see Magic letting his role “Jim Buss” his brand. IMO if he sees that starting he leaves before that gets close.

But after Luke, I actually think the next party with high risk is Jeannie. She’s been in the executor role during a long stretch of ineffective management, and the idea that she was ‘kept’ out of the loop by Jim doesn’t really hold water as it is the responsibility of her role to oversee all aspects of the business. She is the controlling owner by virtue of a trust, not true majority ownership. If she is seen as hurting the brand, her power is not sufficient to protect her.

Johnny and Jim already want to sell. It takes two of the other four to make that happen. The two youngest, Jesse and Joey have incentives to hold based on the trust passing ownership to surviving siblings and not their offspring. They’re 25+ years younger than their half siblings (different mother). Janie seems intent on following Jeannie’s lead. Basically, if you convince Jeannie to cash out, the team is sold, likely to the Guggenheim Group, who would let Magic operate as the team CEO.

Guggenheim?

Why won't AEG want to buy?
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
This is the kind of culture Jesse has brought to the South Bay Lakers team

https://twitter.com/SouthBayLakers/status/1104191267204788224

https://twitter.com/SouthBayLakers/status/1104513505888108544

Wish there was that kind of atmosphere with our team.

Thank you for this, this is what I needed to see.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
I don’t see Magic letting his role “Jim Buss” his brand. IMO if he sees that starting he leaves before that gets close.

But after Luke, I actually think the next party with high risk is Jeannie. She’s been in the executor role during a long stretch of ineffective management, and the idea that she was ‘kept’ out of the loop by Jim doesn’t really hold water as it is the responsibility of her role to oversee all aspects of the business. She is the controlling owner by virtue of a trust, not true majority ownership. If she is seen as hurting the brand, her power is not sufficient to protect her.

Johnny and Jim already want to sell. It takes two of the other four to make that happen. The two youngest, Jesse and Joey have incentives to hold based on the trust passing ownership to surviving siblings and not their offspring. They’re 25+ years younger than their half siblings (different mother). Janie seems intent on following Jeannie’s lead. Basically, if you convince Jeannie to cash out, the team is sold, likely to the Guggenheim Group, who would let Magic operate as the team CEO.

Guggenheim?

Why won't AEG want to buy?

Could be. As I understand it, AEG has 'first look' which is weaker than right of first refusal (restricted free agency). But Phillip is about to turn 80 and hes not really the look at me type. NBA valuations have gone a bit crazy and I'm not sure the smart money is dying to get in. They already have a 25% position, own the Kings and Staples. They can cash out at a big profit or stay in the game with their current position.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
MJST wrote:

No problem. Jesse knows what he's doing.

if Jesse was the one running things and Ryan West was GM this franchise would finally start turning things around.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
MJST wrote:

if Jesse was the one running things and Ryan West was GM this franchise would finally start turning things around.

Worth noting that Jesse's brother Joey is in charge of the G league team
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject:

With Joey and Jesse being so young, they aren't stuck with memories of the Showtime Lakers era that Jeannie and Magic remember so fondly.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
With Joey and Jesse being so young, they aren't stuck with memories of the Showtime Lakers era that Jeannie and Magic remember so fondly.

Living in 2019 would be a great start for the lakers
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: JESSE BUSS for GM.

OdomGrab wrote:

I always predict these things and I know that Jesse will eventually become the Lakers managing person.

My guess is the Buss family won't sell, and Jeanie will hold the top spot for at least another decade. As far as Jesse, he's assistant GM now. It wouldn't shock me if he's satisfied there for the foreseeable future. He's seen the grief and criticism that people who hold the GM job hold. He's 30, and rich, and might not want a job that has a greater likelihood of failure than success.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
MJST wrote:

I could really see it, based on what you posted.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Everyone is talking about our current FO like we've already struck out in free agency.

This thread is premature.

Worse than that is this website's community is contributing to the negative take on the team and may help fulfill it's own prophecy and agenda! Say crap enough and everyone starts believing it.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
I will add Luke needs to go. He lost me with the handling of Randle and his staff isn't seasoned enough to help.

I'm bummed about Walton because I really wanted to see him succeed. But I have come to your conclusion as well. I believe he has made a number of mistakes, even with his injury riddled rosters. He has NEVER even attempted to find a regular rotation, he constantly tinkered with the rotations and I believe he lost his players.

I have to sadly admit that enough of our players have left here and done better where they went. Not a good look for us and IMHO, this is mostly on Luke because he was not able to get that much out of them and it took a different coach and situation for them to succeed.

If we are able to sign a solid FA this off season, then I like our chances going forward. If we can find a way to additionally bring in another solid player, perhaps a SG who is a 3 and D guy, I think all we have to do from that is learn how to win.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

It's kind of a different animal dealing with rich millionaires, let alone one of the most powerful person in the NBA in Lebron James. Luke has been talking about and building "culture" for several yrs now, and it's all out the window.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject:

What I hate the most is that people keep criticizing how poor our decision making was in hiring Maginka/Luke and that Jeanie is a heir who doesn't know how to handle the show, but their solution is putting Jesse Buss and Ryan West in charge? Just because they're sons of Laker greats? Isn't that the same clouded judgement that got us in this mess in the first place?

What the Lakers need is to go pro in all areas, hire the best people available for each position after a proper selection process. If you own a multi billion business, start running it like one!
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:55 am    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
Ryan West

Define his role with the organization. Thanks.
OdomGrab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
I shudder when I think about the level of catastrophe it would take for Jeannie to fire Magic and Rob and go outside the family.

magic and rob already are OUTSIDE the family.
OdomGrab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
OdomGrab wrote:
#savethekids wrote:
Ehhhh I'm over all of them to be honest

ill take jesse over a magic rob lebron luke combo.

And I would take David Griffin over the whole Buss family. But he is way out of Jeanie’s wheelhouse.

so this is basically all about her comfort zone then.
OdomGrab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

again this team is being destroyed because of these alliances and differences. NO one truly in charge any more. what a shame
OdomGrab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:
Jeannie is not the problem amazes me when people now make it her fault. The season turned on injuries, slow developing youth and some questionable off season signings. This was always about 2 off seasons not one. If they land a second big FA this off season, then they are right on schedule. Acquiring AD always required NO to actually be willing to trade him to the Lakers, which as it turns out, they never intended. Everyone assumes that Magic and Rob went to the media and dangled the team, even when subsequently Jeannie herself called out the Pelicans and specifically some leaked info. No one here actually knows what the team offered for Davis, but of course this front office is leaking everything and is completely incompetent. Yet before the injuries really hit, they were in the top half of the Western Conference.

Give them this off season before we have final grades. I hated the off season signings but get the DLO trade. The Mosgov and Deng signings maybe the all time worst signings they were terrible. FO gamble that Ball was an upgrade over DLO so they could part with him in the trade. Verdict is still out, but DLO had injury issues the previous two seasons as well.

Back on Jeannie as for owners, she is as loyal to the team as you can get. Very few owners manage their teams, Mark Cuban aside. She has delegated to Magic to run the basketball side. She is not Sterling or Sarver so be glad. She only recently wrestled this away from Jim give it some time.

She is the problem, she has no experience but decided to turn the team over to guys who also had no experience. All in a quest to top her brother. I believe that she has good intentions but no idea how to run an NBA franchise. Her circle of influences show that, all she knows are former Lakers.

this is the closest thing to the truth.
You can't run a bbal org unless you at least know a lil bbal. Or If you have a solid FO team in place.
They keep wanting to take the superstar route but no superstar likes the FO drama.
OdomGrab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject:

Kobesystem wrote:
Very Simple.

Bring back the Greatest laker into his rightful position.
OdomGrab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:
I will add Luke needs to go. He lost me with the handling of Randle and his staff isn't seasoned enough to help.

I'm bummed about Walton because I really wanted to see him succeed. But I have come to your conclusion as well. I believe he has made a number of mistakes, even with his injury riddled rosters. He has NEVER even attempted to find a regular rotation, he constantly tinkered with the rotations and I believe he lost his players.

I have to sadly admit that enough of our players have left here and done better where they went. Not a good look for us and IMHO, this is mostly on Luke because he was not able to get that much out of them and it took a different coach and situation for them to succeed.

If we are able to sign a solid FA this off season, then I like our chances going forward. If we can find a way to additionally bring in another solid player, perhaps a SG who is a 3 and D guy, I think all we have to do from that is learn how to win.

I dont see it that way. If we let these guys get away with this...we can look forward to another 5 years of garbage.
magic rob jenie lebron... they are all ok to suck as long as they meet their own goals. too many cooks here gota kik these ppl out asap
OdomGrab
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
What I hate the most is that people keep criticizing how poor our decision making was in hiring Maginka/Luke and that Jeanie is a heir who doesn't know how to handle the show, but their solution is putting Jesse Buss and Ryan West in charge? Just because they're sons of Laker greats? Isn't that the same clouded judgement that got us in this mess in the first place?

What the Lakers need is to go pro in all areas, hire the best people available for each position after a proper selection process. If you own a multi billion business, start running it like one!

you are completely ignoring the fact that jim and jenie dont know ntn about basketball. No one in their right mind would like sign mosgov or deng or loose randle or trade ivaca or dlo that way.
Leadership needed to be smart enough to say NO to paying those 2 over 100 mill plus.
Blind trust in magic may be disastrous.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject:

FYI, Jerry West is almost 81 years old. Hire as a consultant perhaps but he's not a full time solution. Could he groom someone? Sure.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
MJST wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
MJST wrote:

Worth noting that Jesse's brother Joey is in charge of the G league team

So Joey changed the culture? How is Joey's personality, in your opinion? Would he be a good fit if we were looking to replace magic?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

As a reality check, the South Bay Lakers are 17-27, and they're in the bottom third of their league in both offense and defense.

It's easy to extol their culture based on seeing a couple of feel good videos. But if anyone here cared about how they did as a team, they be tearing into them as much as fans are tearing into the real Lakers right now
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

As a reality check, the South Bay Lakers are 17-27, and they're in the bottom third of their league in both offense and defense.

It's easy to extol their culture based on seeing a couple of feel good videos produced by the team's PR people. But if anyone here cared about how they did as a team, they be tearing into them as much as fans are tearing into the real Lakers right now
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: