Tanking and Drafting For The Lakers - What's The Point?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject:

I thought the OP posted a rhetorical question.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
It doesn't pay off if the team doesn't retain it's own talent after drafting good picks.

Meh. I don't want them to trade our young players/picks either but you don't hear a lot of "I wish we didn't trade Wiggins" coming out of Cleveland.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Beir32 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
It doesn't pay off if the team doesn't retain it's own talent after drafting good picks.

Meh. I don't want them to trade our young players/picks either but you don't hear a lot of "I wish we didn't trade Wiggins" coming out of Cleveland.

Cleveland made their team.

LAL didn't. Cleveland doesn't have the LAL stigma of "other teams won't help the Lakers" either.

On top of that, it's not an unproven rookie we're talking about. Pretty sure Randle and DLO have proven themselves through 3 years in the league, so we knew the contribution right off the bat.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Greyhound
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
SDLakersFan wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
3) Towns vs Russell is also closer than people think. Russell is leading his team to the playoffs. He's having a discernible impact on the outcome of ballgames. I'd say he's more valuable to the Nets than Towns is to the Twolves this season.

There’s no way you believe any of that

Towns is a weak #1 pick. No doubt he should have been picked first, but he doesn’t rate well with other first picks.

Towns' one TOGN (PER) on BR is 26.9. That rates well. You might have said Andrew Wiggins (11.9). For other things that rate well, 24.5 PPG (15th), .524, .405 (4.8 3PA PG), .836 (hey, he hits FTs), with 12.3 RPG (7th) and 1.7 BPG (10th). Three other TOGN's are a VORP of 5.0, a BPM of 7.3 and 9.6 win shares. To take just the one forum favorite, all of his TOGNs, PER, VORP, BPM and Win Shares are higher than Kawhi's. But, yeah, he's weak.

For the other human, please, look at scheduling in the league.

4 games against the other 4 division opponents (4×4=16 games),
4 games against 6 (out-of-division) conference opponents (4×6=24 games),
3 games against the remaining 4 conference teams (3×4=12 games),
2 games against teams in the opposing conference (2×15=30 games)

The difference between the teams is two losses. Meanwhile, the Heat are the EC 8th seed at a 4 games below .500, 31-35. They lead their division. The TWolves are also 31-35 but are last in their division. And note the imbalance not only between the inter-conference games, 4/3 versus 2, but intra-conference games as well, 4 versus 3. The lowly TWolves and their doesn't rate 26.9 play the Warriors 4x this season. TWolves also play Portland 4x. So 8 games versus those 2 teams while DLO and The Fraudsters only play them 2+2=4. But DLO and The Fraudsters do play the Cavaliers 4x. The Bulls 4x. The Hornets 4x. The Heat 4x. Nothing quite like that extra game versus superior competition. And I can't be bothered with the rest. And did you know that DLO and The Fraudsters played the TWolves twice and lost by 7 and 10? Do you need me to say that only a fool would compare Towns and DLO? Get over him. The Lakers would be lottery bound with him and he and the Nets would be lottery if they played in the WC. Stop hyping guys who aren't even Eddie Jones. And speaking of Eddie...

They are looking for a generational talent. They haven't yet gotten one in the draft. In the meantime, they don't want to be the Eddie Jones Lakers, another pretender of a team. Good record, but no hope in hell of hoisting the trophy. That's why you trade the farm for AD. And when you get him, he's the no. 1 and not LeBron, which isn't to say that he would be better than LeBron, but is to say that he has a longer shelf life, so you're building around him. So when Lebron ages out, no need to sub out the Lebronsters for the new ADers as you'll already have them in place. The seamless transition, or as near so as possible. And for those not so fond of Lebron, that would be your revenge, since AD and the rest won't be adapting to him, he'll be adapting to them. And he can silence all of his critics if he does adapt and as a result he and they hoist the trophy. Would be a classic win-win for him, the team, and us.

And do I mention Ben Simmons? Almost no 3s, poor FT shooting, yet he's 17 PPG on .561 with 9.2 RPG and 7.2 APG. The 9.2 is remarkable, given that he's on a team with a guy who is pulling down 13.5 a game. He's listed on ESPN as PG and is 19th in the league in rebounding. Needless to say, I rather question the analysis of some. Ingram has improved but he's a way to go to be Simmons.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

LAL didn't. Cleveland doesn't have the LAL stigma of "other teams won't help the Lakers" either.

On top of that, it's not an unproven rookie we're talking about. Pretty sure Randle and DLO have proven themselves through 3 years in the league, so we knew the contribution right off the bat.

Correct.

Comparing it to Cleveland, would be like.

if Wiggins came into the league and did well, and Cleveland got rid of him right as he was becoming a 20 PPG scorer in his 3rd season and was trending upwards yearly and kept doing so after being gotten rid of.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject:

There is no point to anything as long as Jeanie and Magic run the Lakers.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
SDLakersFan wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
3) Towns vs Russell is also closer than people think. Russell is leading his team to the playoffs. He's having a discernible impact on the outcome of ballgames. I'd say he's more valuable to the Nets than Towns is to the Twolves this season.

Towns is a weak #1 pick. No doubt he should have been picked first, but he doesn’t rate well with other first picks.

Are we talking about the Towns who ranks #17 in total RPM (being a net positive on offense and defense)?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
governator wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
governator wrote:
Tanking can means getting to select Embiid instead of Randle, Towns instead of DLo, etc

Let's say we got embiid instead of Randle. We would be calling him a bust and asking to trade him because he had been injured for 2 seasons. We probably would want Randle instead because of how good he would have been playing on another team; like "we should have drafted Julius Randle." I see it all the time, we admire what we don't have and don't value what we do.

That has nothing to do with tanking, it simply to increase your chance at lower pick ping pong ball

It has to do with my question - What is the point of "tanking," getting a NBA prospect, just for y'all to wanna trade them? We have gotten Zo, DLO, BI, Randle, Zu, Kuz, etc... All of them are good prospects, but all of them y'all have requested to be traded.

1. I'm not sure who "you all" are since Lakers fans have widely varying opinions on whether Zo, DLO and Randle should have been traded. If anything, I get the sense that most fans disagree with Magic's strategy.

2. Let's take it from Magic's perspective. If he believes the team won't make the playoffs, he might want to tank to get the best possible draft pick. Even if he intends to trade the pick, he would rather have a higher pick because it has more trade value.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Pretty bummed the appeared this season.

Even the biggest pessimist wasn't expecting that.
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Still believe if not for the specific injuries, we make the playoffs and this year would have been exactly what we expected....make the playoffs and get beat in 1st or 2nd round. The injuries derailed our season and of course the LeBron addition and national attention makes it what it is today. A dumpster fire. Magic and Rob have acted poorly subsequently as well, trading away Zu for nothing and putting everybody up for sale not named LeBron.

I pray our fortunes finally trade with a good to great draft pick and a MUCH better off season of adding players.

Also hope we re-sign ZU. What a BONEHEAD move SMFH.
Beir32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Beir32 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I agree with all of that, but your original statement didn't leave a lot of interpretation. Hence my statement.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject:

if we didnt get those high value draft picks by tanking we wouldnt have the assets to even be in the conversation to trade for AD.
same with this coming pick. The harder we tank this pick the better the trade package we can offer to NOLA for AD where we can possible take Ball or BI off the table.
If we can roll into next year with a lineup of something like:
Ball
Bullock
Kawhi
Lebron
AD

...that would be a very worthwhile end game to our tanking efforts
lakid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
if we didnt get those high value draft picks by tanking we wouldnt have the assets to even be in the conversation to trade for AD.
same with this coming pick. The harder we tank this pick the better the trade package we can offer to NOLA for AD where we can possible take Ball or BI off the table.
If we can roll into next year with a lineup of something like:
Ball
Bullock
Kawhi
Lebron
AD

...that would be a very worthwhile end game to our tanking efforts

The AD trade ship has sailed, I don't know why people keep bringing this up. There is no way that NoLA is going to make a trade with the Lakers, move on people, we only get AD as a free agent in 2020 that will be our only shot at him.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject:

I totally agree with this. OTOH, it is hard to argue against maximizing your shot a good draft pick.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject:

SDLakersFan wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

To me DLO is the more impactful player than Towns. They both could put up high numbers, but DLO's high stats will change the flow of the game vs Town's.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject:

A strange franchise! The Lakers are no longer a superior franchise to me. Tanking and gambling. No difference to Suns, Kings...
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
I think the losing culture is more a product of being a dysfunctional organization. If they had just stuck with the build through youth plan, they could be bad while trying to win. .....

didnt need to read any further. Here is the issue laker fans, right here above. And I know RG has been a laker fan for a long time. To say what you're saying above sounds like you just became a laker fan after the warriors started winning rings, or after the current celtics started playing or the current 76ers.

You are trying to follow their blueprint which entails decades of losing. decades of drafting very decent to high picks, in order to luck up and eventually draft two of the best shooters of all time. 76ers sucked for a long time and hasnt seen the finals since dr j was playing. the celtics one ONCE in the past 30 years. ONCE. There is a reason danny ainge wasnt super loyal to their older vets like an aging KG, an aging ray allen, aging paul pierce. as good as they were, they only won once. People wanted the lakers to treat kobe like that not understanding kobe was better than all of those guys. there's a reason you get the super royalty kobe treatment on your way out. there's a reason you get that heavy contract in your elder years. Kobe could easily be in the top 3 of best perimeter players of all times. magic Kobe, jordan. not any any order. Pierce as good as he was. may not be in the discussion for best SF of all time. KG aint the best pf of all time and he's not in the top 3 either. and ray allen aint the best sg of all time or not even in the top 3.

It seems you guys so badly want us to follow these other teams models. when in reality their model is tank until you get lucky enough to have multiple transcendent players THEN build thru the youth. is that what your really want to do?

And even if it is what you desire to do. Just remember that has NEVER been the laker method. so you can't faught the FO/ownership for having a blueprint that has worked since the 80s, going up into the 2000's. And no that does not mean switch up the plan just because we have been losing recently. there were always droughts after winning multiple rings. thats life. The plan has always been get at minimum 2 superstars and build around them. It has never been build thru the draft and our youth that we dont know how good they will pan out to be. I keep saying this. Eddie Jones, Nick the quick, and Elden campbell were no longer lakers when we start winning with shaq and kobe. NON of them. that was our past version of DLO, Randle, Kuz, Ingram, or even zo. You may need to keep one of those dudes out of that group assuming one of those dudes is a superstar. Then you start building around that. if non of them are superstars. they all end up getting moved for pieces to get a superstar or for the superstar directly. sorry laker fans. this is the laker method and it has worked enough times to stick with that plan. it is tried and true.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject:

CBA changed the game

We def tank post Kobe Achilles and we certainly didn’t tank this year but now since we’re pretty much out of the playoff contention, you guys don’t think we should get best possible pick (I mean a higher chance of it)?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject:

Sina wrote:
A strange franchise! The Lakers are no longer a superior franchise to me. Tanking and gambling. No difference to Suns, Kings...
if you believe that, then you can see what you're actually seeing.

First off, the one reason the lakers have been so bad the last few years is because of that nixed cp3 deal. you can't go past that and start making bold statements like yours above.

We had things happen, that happen when you win a lot. you at some point start to age out your winniners. you dont change them out to quickly cause if you do, you mess with chemistry and you end up missing ring opportunities. see the spurs never won back to back. thats for a reason. sure they have had a lot of winning seasons and no real droughts yet. would you rather have a 3 peat and a back 2 back, or 1 ring..lose, lose. 1 ring. lose, 1 ring. lose lose, 1 ring, lose, 1 ring. lose lose lose lose lose(but look good during the season)? Me personally i like real dynasties. where you run the nba for a few years. I'll take the L's after my winning team ages out.

But the lakers as smart as they are tried to keep the winning going and have a transition into the new era when kobe was on his way out by flipping bynum(bad knees) for dwight and gasol/odom for cp3(nixed deal.)

Bynum having horrible knees killed our next best big man in the game scenario with a really young guy so we went with the next best thing, we got the current best big in the game in dwight who was a bit older. we went with cp3 who was younger than kobe and less miles than kobe. these two were supposed to be the transition guys after kobe.but because the cp3 deal was killed, that put us in a situation where we should've tanked then with kobe (but you guys said dont waste his last good years.) or try something else, we tried something else and got nash who was just an all star the previous season. who knew nash would bump knees and end up with weird nerve damage. thats as weird as chris bosh's health issues. age is one thing but bumping knees and getting weird nerve damage is not an age issue. its a fluke issue.

you can't be the kings or the suns. neither team has won anything in 40 years. its not an apples to apples comparison. actually there is no apples to apples comparison since the lakers is the only winning franchise that has won back to back or three peated outside of the current warriors who were also super losers who havent won a thing in like 50 years before they started winning recently.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
CBA changed the game

We def tank post Kobe Achilles and we certainly didn’t tank this year but now since we’re pretty much out of the playoff contention, you guys don’t think we should get best possible pick (I mean a higher chance of it)?
here's the thing. it aint tanking this year. we dont even have enough healthy guys to push for wins. thats how bad it is. so we're going to lose games regardless.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
governator wrote:
Tanking can means getting to select Embiid instead of Randle, Towns instead of DLo, etc

Let's say we got embiid instead of Randle. We would be calling him a bust and asking to trade him because he had been injured for 2 seasons. We probably would want Randle instead because of how good he would have been playing on another team; like "we should have drafted Julius Randle." I see it all the time, we admire what we don't have and don't value what we do.

What's this "we" stuff?

Are you looking for one uniform voice on this message board?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
governator wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
governator wrote:

That has nothing to do with tanking, it simply to increase your chance at lower pick ping pong ball

It has to do with my question - What is the point of "tanking," getting a NBA prospect, just for y'all to wanna trade them? We have gotten Zo, DLO, BI, Randle, Zu, Kuz, etc... All of them are good prospects, but all of them y'all have requested to be traded.

Who's "y'all"?

Everyone?
Some posters?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
CBA changed the game

Didn't change the game for the teams that improved...

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject:

If we had actually stuck with the plan of developing talent and then saving cap space, we'd be the #2 team in the West behind the Warriors right now...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
RG73 wrote:
I think the losing culture is more a product of being a dysfunctional organization. If they had just stuck with the build through youth plan, they could be bad while trying to win. .....

didnt need to read any further. Here is the issue laker fans, right here above. And I know RG has been a laker fan for a long time. To say what you're saying above sounds like you just became a laker fan after the warriors started winning rings, or after the current celtics started playing or the current 76ers.

You are trying to follow their blueprint which entails decades of losing. decades of drafting very decent to high picks, in order to luck up and eventually draft two of the best shooters of all time. 76ers sucked for a long time and hasnt seen the finals since dr j was playing. the celtics one ONCE in the past 30 years. ONCE. There is a reason danny ainge wasnt super loyal to their older vets like an aging KG, an aging ray allen, aging paul pierce. as good as they were, they only won once. People wanted the lakers to treat kobe like that not understanding kobe was better than all of those guys. there's a reason you get the super royalty kobe treatment on your way out. there's a reason you get that heavy contract in your elder years. Kobe could easily be in the top 3 of best perimeter players of all times. magic Kobe, jordan. not any any order. Pierce as good as he was. may not be in the discussion for best SF of all time. KG aint the best pf of all time and he's not in the top 3 either. and ray allen aint the best sg of all time or not even in the top 3.

It seems you guys so badly want us to follow these other teams models. when in reality their model is tank until you get lucky enough to have multiple transcendent players THEN build thru the youth. is that what your really want to do?

And even if it is what you desire to do. Just remember that has NEVER been the laker method. so you can't faught the FO/ownership for having a blueprint that has worked since the 80s, going up into the 2000's. And no that does not mean switch up the plan just because we have been losing recently. there were always droughts after winning multiple rings. thats life. The plan has always been get at minimum 2 superstars and build around them. It has never been build thru the draft and our youth that we dont know how good they will pan out to be. I keep saying this. Eddie Jones, Nick the quick, and Elden campbell were no longer lakers when we start winning with shaq and kobe. NON of them. that was our past version of DLO, Randle, Kuz, Ingram, or even zo. You may need to keep one of those dudes out of that group assuming one of those dudes is a superstar. Then you start building around that. if non of them are superstars. they all end up getting moved for pieces to get a superstar or for the superstar directly. sorry laker fans. this is the laker method and it has worked enough times to stick with that plan. it is tried and true.

Typical PNP garbage, as bad as this FO is. It worked in the 80’s, why change? Because the world has changed, the NBA has changed. Now the Raptors and Kings have more pull than the Lakers. You believe the same garbage that Magic and Jeanie do and all it has done is to sink the franchise. They have to grow up and embrace 2019 if we are to turn this thing around. Thinking as you do keeps us in the lottery for decades.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: