The Media's constant ATTACK on the Lakers...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:

If that had happened, let's just say Kawhi/LeBron, no...there is no way we'd have been in our 6th lottery.

That kind of depends on how they filled out the roster. And lets not forget Kawhi has only played about 70% of the games this season. He has availability issues as well.

I can make an argument that LeBron/Kawhi decrease the wear and tear on each other, allowing them both to play less minutes and thus more games.

Simple argument.

70% of Kawhi would about equal Lonzo/Ingram's time on the court this year...I'm fine with that.

People want to justify trading for AD even though he has played maybe one 70 game season...but when it comes to Kawhi, who is actually better, Kawhi has "availability issues"? Confusing...

Last edited by GameCock-MD on Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
This guy spent a good amount of time trashing Ingram... then laid low during his period of resurgence.

LOL...what? Check my post frequency. I have a life. I didn't criticize Ingram because there was no use. We were LOSING! LOL.

If we were winning and Ingram was the catalyst, I'd be the first one to praise him. I think he has value (I'm a huge Duke fan). I thought/think his style of play didn't fit LeBron, Lonzo, Kuzma or the rest of the team/offense.

I was right.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2018/12/20/18150812/la-lakers-injury-news-brandon-ingram-focus-cutting-movement-return-pelicans-lebron-james

But this isn't about Ingram. Please don't derail this thread. There are others for that discussion.

Last edited by GameCock-MD on Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject:

I read the OP in Foghorn Leghorn's voice and it was even better.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I read the OP in Foghorn Leghorn's voice and it was even better.

Let me guess...BBIQ?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
This guy spent a good amount of time trashing Ingram... then laid low during his period of resurgence.

LOL...what? Check my post frequency. I have a life. I didn't criticize Ingram because there was no use. We were LOSING! LOL.

If we were winning and Ingram was the catalyst, I'd be the first one to praise him. I think he has value (I'm a huge Duke fan). I thought/think his style of play didn't fit LeBron, Lonzo, Kuzma or the rest of the team/offense.

I was right.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2018/12/20/18150812/la-lakers-injury-news-brandon-ingram-focus-cutting-movement-return-pelicans-lebron-james

But this isn't about Ingram. Please don't derail this thread. There are others for that discussion.

You spent at least an entire day arguing with all of the "deluded" Ingram supporters listing why he wasn't going to be successful... then couldn't be bothered to say... "man, I guess I was wrong"... or even "good to see... hope it lasts."

Just nothing after telling all of us how wrong we were.

I still have no concrete conclusions on BI... but of course I am encouraged and frustrated at the timing of the injury.

It's the bullheaded confidence and condescension with which you expressed your opinion that bothered me.

And still you hedge and can't admit that he was playing at a high level... pointing out the won loss record instead.

But again... if you are going to say we are victims of a shifting national narrative you are wrong.

Combining AD and LBJ will be a disaster unless Kyrie comes with him.

I have zero interest in signing the team over to Klutch for the next 10 years.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Media's constant ATTACK on the Lakers...

GameCock-MD wrote:
Stop listening to pundits who obviously have agendas...and that agenda is to Keep LeBron ringless in LA AND to GET YOU TO CLICK ON THEIR LINKS!!!!

I'm fine with the fact that you have an opinion that is different from mine. That's what sports message boards are all about. There are a number of posters who I frequently argue with, but I still respect them.

But when you act like we are all a bunch of sheep being herded by the big bad news media, it ticks me off. Believe it or not, we are capable of thinking for ourselves. We aren't a bunch of puppets under the control of the evil dark lords at ESPN. When the media puts out a narrative that we don't agree with (SAS does this regularly), we will rip it up here.

Just in general, sports fans are not as mindless as some of you seem to think. There is more than a little arrogance in the attitude that sports fans are brainwashed by the punditry. You are not the voice of reason amidst a flock of sheep.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject:

Ultimately you can't just add a player of lebron's calibur and be on pace to match last year's team, in which you were in the lottery with a losing record.

It's going to naturally attract criticism, especially given how the NBA works.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject:

We don’t need the media to tell us that the Lakers have been a train wreck since Dr. Buss passed away. That Jeanie, Magic and Pelinka are in positions that they have no experience in. That neither have an idea how to shape a winning team. That giving away young assets for basically nothing isn’t a good practice. That pissing off other FOs and agents doesn’t bode well for adding talent. That we began the season with a crap roster that they somehow managed to make worse. I know that the OP isn’t new here but must have missed those discussions here the past couple of years. We don’t have to believe the media because we have lived it.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

if i'm in the sports media business i'd do the same thing, why? lets see:

1. a coward/pushover ownership who has been punked by small market owners for years

2. a flamboyant and cocky head of basketball operations who always talk openly about other teams' players

3. east coast biased audience base
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

GameCock-MD wrote:
RG73 wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:

If that had happened, let's just say Kawhi/LeBron, no...there is no way we'd have been in our 6th lottery.

That kind of depends on how they filled out the roster. And lets not forget Kawhi has only played about 70% of the games this season. He has availability issues as well.

I can make an argument that LeBron/Kawhi decrease the wear and tear on each other, allowing them both to play less minutes and thus more games.

Simple argument.

70% of Kawhi would about equal Lonzo/Ingram's time on the court this year...I'm fine with that.

People want to justify trading for AD even though he has played maybe one 70 game season...but when it comes to Kawhi, who is actually better, Kawhi has "availability issues"? Confusing...

Do you have data that supports Kawhi being better than AD or are you just making stuff up?
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject:

Harden, Durant, Giannis maybe a few others would have this team in the playoffs in place of Lebron. He simply didn't deliver down the stretch of games often enough. He has continued to toss away opportunity after opportunity at the foul line, and has too often refused to take games over down the stretch and lead us to victory. He's giving us a lot of pretty stats, but he too often has been unwilling to take the responsibility on his shoulders to win us games down the stretch. He took franchise player money, and he has not delivered franchise player results when it has been needed most.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Ultimately you can't just add a player of lebron's calibur and be on pace to match last year's team, in which you were in the lottery with a losing record.

It's going to naturally attract criticism, especially given how the NBA works.

Exactly, I remember when people used to makes claims such as "put Lebron on any team and they are a playoff team and a contender". Well that has certainly been proven to be both untrue and wildly inaccurate. So when a player has that level of greatness bestowed upon him, and falls this short of the mark... He absolutely deserves criticism.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Harden, Durant, Giannis maybe a few others would have this team in the playoffs in place of Lebron. He simply didn't deliver down the stretch of games often enough. He has continued to toss away opportunity after opportunity at the foul line, and has too often refused to take games over down the stretch and lead us to victory. He's giving us a lot of pretty stats, but he too often has been unwilling to take the responsibility on his shoulders to win us games down the stretch. He took franchise player money, and he has not delivered franchise player results when it has been needed most.

Ah, the crusade continues. So who signed LBJ in the first place then?
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:

They wouldn’t if the team was as ill constructed around their strengths. Giannis is surrounded by shooting. And Durant would have problems with this roster as well. This hero ball paradigm is nonsense—you need five guys who can play.
MustardJam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject:

The idea that another superstar with Lebron isn't fair for the NBA is hilarious. Even if they get one more superstar they aren't going to be legitimate contenders (unless it is Kawhi). They need at least two more superstars.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Media's constant ATTACK on the Lakers...

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:
Stop listening to pundits who obviously have agendas...and that agenda is to Keep LeBron ringless in LA AND to GET YOU TO CLICK ON THEIR LINKS!!!!

I'm fine with the fact that you have an opinion that is different from mine. That's what sports message boards are all about. There are a number of posters who I frequently argue with, but I still respect them.

But when you act like we are all a bunch of sheep being herded by the big bad news media, it ticks me off. Believe it or not, we are capable of thinking for ourselves. We aren't a bunch of puppets under the control of the evil dark lords at ESPN. When the media puts out a narrative that we don't agree with (SAS does this regularly), we will rip it up here.

Just in general, sports fans are not as mindless as some of you seem to think. There is more than a little arrogance in the attitude that sports fans are brainwashed by the punditry. You are not the voice of reason amidst a flock of sheep.

I apologize if it sounded that way.

I was talking about people who pretend something reported is factual and immediately base everything they know or feel off that.

This wasn't meant to an "attack" on everyone. Just a plea to our fans to stop vacillating based on what the MEDIA says.

And fans here are swayed by the Laker Hating media...they post their words verbatim like they came up with them.

Are you claiming this forum and Lakers Fans don't go from 0-100 every time an article comes out? Who has time for that? That's for high school kids, not grown behind men...

My 6 year old daughter is less dramatic than this board has been over the past month.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:
RG73 wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:

Simple argument.

Do you have data that supports Kawhi being better than AD or are you just making stuff up?

Making stuff up? Ok...
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Yet everyone ate it up when it was articles bashing Mitch.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
We don’t need the media to tell us that the Lakers have been a train wreck since Dr. Buss passed away. That Jeanie, Magic and Pelinka are in positions that they have no experience in. That neither have an idea how to shape a winning team. That giving away young assets for basically nothing isn’t a good practice. That pissing off other FOs and agents doesn’t bode well for adding talent. That we began the season with a crap roster that they somehow managed to make worse. I know that the OP isn’t new here but must have missed those discussions here the past couple of years. We don’t have to believe the media because we have lived it.

Fine. We are trash.

That's not an excuse for all of the drama. Nor is it a reason to bash LeBron like he's the cause.

Magic and Pelinka told you they were going after 2 Superstars. - No problem with that, right?

We got LeBron last year and tried to get Kawhi/AD since then...no problem with that right?

Looks like Magic and Pelinka offered a plan that was accepted by fans, started executing that plan and have the potential to finish it this offseason.

So why are we complaining? Because they didn't keep Lopez or Randle? LOL...

The Sky is NOT falling.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:

Making stuff up? Ok...

Show data indicating that Kawhi is having a better season than AD--this is very simple. If you cannot demonstrate this based on data then you are making it up as the data records the actual events that occurred in our universe as opposed to imaginary happenings in your mind.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

I was right.

You spent at least an entire day arguing with all of the "deluded" Ingram supporters listing why he wasn't going to be successful... then couldn't be bothered to say... "man, I guess I was wrong"... or even "good to see... hope it lasts."

Just nothing after telling all of us how wrong we were.

I still have no concrete conclusions on BI... but of course I am encouraged and frustrated at the timing of the injury.

It's the bullheaded confidence and condescension with which you expressed your opinion that bothered me.

And still you hedge and can't admit that he was playing at a high level... pointing out the won loss record instead.

But again... if you are going to say we are victims of a shifting national narrative you are wrong.

Combining AD and LBJ will be a disaster unless Kyrie comes with him.

I have zero interest in signing the team over to Klutch for the next 10 years.

You skip over the fact that I said we should trade Ingram BECAUSE his style of play doesn't match ours, not because he was trash. And don't forget that Ingram's trade value DID go down this year...

NOP wanted Lonzo and KUZMA, not Ingram...LOL...you need to stop here.

Stop posting like you know me. You don't. Better yet, post comments and see me over at LN. Obviously you got issues with me from over there. I don't even post here that often, fam. No way you beef with me based on 1 post per MONTH over the past 3-4 years...

Last edited by GameCock-MD on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Media's constant ATTACK on the Lakers...

GameCock-MD wrote:
Sad thing is, our fans are eating it UP!!!

LeBron with one other Superstar isn't fair for the rest of the NBA and everyone knows it. That's why they are keeping the constant drama cycle going.

Our team hasn't changed outside of trading Zu/Beasley/Svi...and only one of those guys started more than 5 games for us this year.

LeBron has been playing up to his usual superstar level.

Our TEAM has been trash...that has NOTHING to do with Magic/Pelinka not bringing back Randle and Lopez. That's Luke's coaching staff giving themselves an out because they know they are out and will need new jobs. Nothing to see there...

Lonzo sitting out has more to do with us not being in playoff contention than him actually not being able to play. Yes, I'm suggesting that he could play before the end of the season if the Lakers wanted him to. Perfectly normal.

The LeBron/Klutch Sports thing is the most hilariously obvious. NBA teams are trying to prevent anyone from joining LeBron by saying he/they have too much power and will make them the scapegoat.

A lot of people think fans are controlled by the media, but it's really the other way around. Media tends to be followers of opinion, not leaders of opinion.

By and large, people (1) seek out stories and reporting that confirm what they already think or want to think or (2) seek out stories that enraged them by contradicting what they think.

So media produces lots of stories that resonate with fans existing emotions and thoughts.

You have a fairly rosy view of the Lakers season. That's cool. I disagree with a lot of what you said, but that has nothing to do with what pundits and reporters said.

Last edited by activeverb on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:

Fine. We are trash.

That's not an excuse for all of the drama. Nor is it a reason to bash LeBron like he's the cause.

Magic and Pelinka told you they were going after 2 Superstars. - No problem with that, right?

We got LeBron last year and tried to get Kawhi/AD since then...no problem with that right?

Looks like Magic and Pelinka offered a plan that was accepted by fans, started executing that plan and have the potential to finish it this offseason.

So why are we complaining? Because they didn't keep Lopez or Randle? LOL...

The Sky is NOT falling.

Again you are building straw men left and right.

No one said Lebron is THE cause. But some of Lebron's actions have been a cause of the tumultuous season.

If you read through the threads at the time people had issue with giving up too much for Kawhi and AD. And nearly everyone has issues with how the AD pursuit and aftermath were handled.

And stop being willfully naive about why people are complaining. It isn't just Randle and Lopez (but people have complained about that consistently from the offseason till now).
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Media's constant ATTACK on the Lakers...

activeverb wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:
Sad thing is, our fans are eating it UP!!!

LeBron with one other Superstar isn't fair for the rest of the NBA and everyone knows it. That's why they are keeping the constant drama cycle going.

Our team hasn't changed outside of trading Zu/Beasley/Svi...and only one of those guys started more than 5 games for us this year.

LeBron has been playing up to his usual superstar level.

Our TEAM has been trash...that has NOTHING to do with Magic/Pelinka not bringing back Randle and Lopez. That's Luke's coaching staff giving themselves an out because they know they are out and will need new jobs. Nothing to see there...

Lonzo sitting out has more to do with us not being in playoff contention than him actually not being able to play. Yes, I'm suggesting that he could play before the end of the season if the Lakers wanted him to. Perfectly normal.

The LeBron/Klutch Sports thing is the most hilariously obvious. NBA teams are trying to prevent anyone from joining LeBron by saying he/they have too much power and will make them the scapegoat.

A lot of people think fans are controlled by the media, but it's really the other way around. The stories that resonate with fans are what get the clicks, and so more stories like that are produced.

You have a fairly rosy view of the Lakers season, but I'd say your perspective is in the minority.

Personally, I have always been dubious of Magic's two-free-agent strategy; I questioned the idea of signing Lebron while also keeping the young players; I have been disappointed in the young players development; and I think the choices Magic for the rent-a-vets was bad. And I thought all that (other than the development of the young players) before the season started, so it had nothing to do with any reporting.

Except for a few fringe people who complain about everything, these posts here are made AFTER the article, not before.

Chicken, egg...
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:

NOP wanted Lonzo and KUZMA, not Ingram...LOL...you need to stop here.

You're making stuff up again. Where is the evidence they wanted Lonzo and Kuzma and not BI?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: