College Admissions Scandal
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 21953

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: College Admissions Scandal

This story is breaking right now. For a charitable contribution, you could get your kid admitted to schools like UCLA or Stanford as a bogus athlete.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-education-cheating/u-s-charges-dozens-in-college-admissions-fraud-scheme-idUSKBN1QT1WJ

At the same time, the former Penn basketball coach (now a Celtics assistant) testifies that he took $300k to get someone's kid into Wharton.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26234766/ex-penn-coach-allen-says-took-300k-bribe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 18948

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject:

People rich enough to bribe, but not rich enough to buy Yale an international airport.
_________________
Banana Head Again
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 10908

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject:

Undergrad studies only helps you for grad/doctorate program application. Maybe the networking part is worth it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 43622

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject:

I just assumed this was going on all the time and everyone knew about it.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 130852
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject:

It’s hard to get worked up about this.
_________________
All gave some,
Some gave all
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 30660
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I just assumed this was going on all the time and everyone knew about it.


yeah, I never thought you had to go through this much trouble....bribing coaches of non-revenue sports to claim your kid is a recruit?.....I always assumed you could just flat out bribe the school administrators if you were wealthy.
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 30660
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject:

it may be wrong....but I am a little impressed that the Singer guy was able to identify this market, and then develop a system to make money exploiting it.
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 30660
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

is it just me, or does it almost seem automatic that if there is a major scandal in college.....it will involve USC?
_________________
"To arrive at a contradiction is to confess an error in one's thinking; to maintain a contradiction is to abdicate one's mind and to evict oneself from the realm of reality." Ayn Rand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 15893
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
is it just me, or does it almost seem automatic that if there is a major scandal in college.....it will involve USC?


true, true.

I'm with others who aren't surprised. I always assumed rich people had that kind of pull but I guess you no longer have to contribute huge sums to alumni associations anymore.
_________________
"Suck it up. Don't be a baby. Do your job." - Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
999
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Posts: 19949

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

in a way i wish my parents did that for me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2016
Posts: 3795

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
It’s hard to get worked up about this.
just because we're used to the abuse doesnt mean we should just go "oh well" and throw our hands up in the air.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Dec 2011
Posts: 22816

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
is it just me, or does it almost seem automatic that if there is a major scandal in college.....it will involve USC?



It’s not just you. In the exchange with Lori Laughlin’s husband Mossimo Giannull, it seems these type of opportunities weren’t out of the ordinary for the USC athletic director at the time (2016). Even if they didn’t pay $1milllion, they still ponied up $500,000 to get into... U$C.

Quote:
CW-1 replied: “Best to keep [the USC Athletic Director] out of it. When I met with him a year ago about [your daughter] he felt you were good for a million plus.” GIANNULLI responded, “HAH!!”


^This was from page 89 of the complaint.
https://www.justice.gov/file/1142876/download
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 18948

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject:

Hypothetically I may possibly have known a few education consultants who provided rigorous SAT/ACT prep, interview prep, and maybe possibly some very thorough personal essay editing for a healthy annual fee. These hypothetical consultants may have had very high success rates in college placements.

If only those hypothetical kids' parents knew they could have just bribed college coaches and test proctors.
_________________
Banana Head Again
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Cutheon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 8124
Location: Bay Area

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I just assumed this was going on all the time and everyone knew about it.


They went about it in the stupidest way possible -- no wonder they needed to bribe the school, they must have known the quality of the genes they were passing along...

Jokes aside, everyone knows the proper way to do this is to give a large donation to the school and remind the school administrators -- in person -- that you'd be happy to continue donating to such an excellent institution, especially if you could proudly declare yourself as the parent of an alumnus. You don't bribe soccer coaches, you effing dolts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Cutheon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 8124
Location: Bay Area

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Hypothetically I may possibly have known a few education consultants who provided rigorous SAT/ACT prep, interview prep, and maybe possibly some very thorough personal essay editing for a healthy annual fee. These hypothetical consultants may have had very high success rates in college placements.

If only those hypothetical kids' parents knew they could have just bribed college coaches and test proctors.


Sounds a lot like the hypothetical life coaches that wealthy kids at my high school allegedly hired
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 42326
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
is it just me, or does it almost seem automatic that if there is a major scandal in college.....it will involve USC?


Yep. I know the USC water polo because my daughter used to train with him over her summer breaks. I wasn't surprised when I say SC was involved.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 31716

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ocho wrote:
I just assumed this was going on all the time and everyone knew about it.


They went about it in the stupidest way possible -- no wonder they needed to bribe the school, they must have known the quality of the genes they were passing along...

Jokes aside, everyone knows the proper way to do this is to give a large donation to the school and remind the school administrators -- in person -- that you'd be happy to continue donating to such an excellent institution, especially if you could proudly declare yourself as the parent of an alumnus. You don't bribe soccer coaches, you effing dolts.


They weren't rich enough to get a building named after them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Cutheon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 8124
Location: Bay Area

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
ocho wrote:
I just assumed this was going on all the time and everyone knew about it.


They went about it in the stupidest way possible -- no wonder they needed to bribe the school, they must have known the quality of the genes they were passing along...

Jokes aside, everyone knows the proper way to do this is to give a large donation to the school and remind the school administrators -- in person -- that you'd be happy to continue donating to such an excellent institution, especially if you could proudly declare yourself as the parent of an alumnus. You don't bribe soccer coaches, you effing dolts.


They weren't rich enough to get a building named after them.


Doesn't take that much, only a couple million. Jared Kushner got in after daddy ponied up 2.5 million -- and if Harvard wanted, they could have easily taken that family for a lot more. My guess is $1 million properly donated would go a long, long way...

and, while 1m is obviously a lot, these dolts collectively paid over TWENTY FIVE to the Cooperating Witness-1 over 7 years (main cog that organized the scheme)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 4224
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
in what agents code-named “Operation Varsity Blues.”


nice
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Posts: 15893
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
ocho wrote:
I just assumed this was going on all the time and everyone knew about it.


They went about it in the stupidest way possible -- no wonder they needed to bribe the school, they must have known the quality of the genes they were passing along...

Jokes aside, everyone knows the proper way to do this is to give a large donation to the school and remind the school administrators -- in person -- that you'd be happy to continue donating to such an excellent institution, especially if you could proudly declare yourself as the parent of an alumnus. You don't bribe soccer coaches, you effing dolts.


They weren't rich enough to get a building named after them.


Doesn't take that much, only a couple million. Jared Kushner got in after daddy ponied up 2.5 million -- and if Harvard wanted, they could have easily taken that family for a lot more. My guess is $1 million properly donated would go a long, long way...

and, while 1m is obviously a lot, these dolts collectively paid over TWENTY FIVE to the Cooperating Witness-1 over 7 years (main cog that organized the scheme)


The brokers and coaches found a way to eliminate the middle man (i.e. the university) and collect some of that money themselves.
_________________
"Suck it up. Don't be a baby. Do your job." - Kobe Bryant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Jul 2002
Posts: 34607
Location: L.A.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
is it just me, or does it almost seem automatic that if there is a major scandal in college.....it will involve USC?


Yep. I know the USC water polo because my daughter used to train with him over her summer breaks. I wasn't surprised when I say SC was involved.


I'm pretty surprised about it on this one. If you can fill out the application and your check clears, you can get into USC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Posts: 22913

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject:

See now this is a celeb related scandal I can enjoy because it doesn't involve someone being raped or possibly killed.

I can't wait for the Full House edition episode of Danny giving Aunt Becky a talk about how wrong she was for all this with the lesson learning music in the background.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 130852
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
It’s hard to get worked up about this.
just because we're used to the abuse doesnt mean we should just go "oh well" and throw our hands up in the air.


Wait, who was abused? Kids getting into colleges when they probably don’t belong is hardly one of the great evils we face today.
_________________
All gave some,
Some gave all
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 3174
Location: Mid-Wilshire: just beyond "The Puff Puff Pass"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Trump just declared a state of emergency at SAT test spots through out the country
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 10515

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Qsmiff wrote:
Trump just declared a state of emergency at SAT test spots through out the country


Did we get ahold of his scores???
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB