Brian Windhorst Breaks Down the Disastrous Lakers Season.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
KBH wrote:

What the players did going forward was lose game after game while displaying a lack of chemistry. But I'm sure you've got some rosy soon for this too.

What team were you watching? BI played his best basketball of the season after the rumors, Kuzma was his usual self and dropped the big 39-point game against Philadelphia. If anything, the failings down the stretch point more toward the shortcomings of the "veterans" on the team more so than anything to do with the young players, although I understand that's a convenient excuse for the agenda you're trying to push here.

So you're Lakers were playing good ball after the trade? Kuzma and BI playing well (on one side of the ball) are not the whole team. You're being purposely obtuse.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Username wrote:
KBH wrote:

What the players did going forward was lose game after game while displaying a lack of chemistry. But I'm sure you've got some rosy soon for this too.

What team were you watching? BI played his best basketball of the season after the rumors, Kuzma was his usual self and dropped the big 39-point game against Philadelphia. If anything, the failings down the stretch point more toward the shortcomings of the "veterans" on the team more so than anything to do with the young players, although I understand that's a convenient excuse for the agenda you're trying to push here.

So you're Lakers were playing good ball after the trade? Kuzma and BI playing well (on one side of the ball) are not the whole team. You're being purposely obtuse.

Did I say that? No. The topic at hand is whether or not the young players "gave up" on the season after the trade rumors. I said they didn't. I never said the team as a whole played good basketball. Try to keep up.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Apparently Magic was wrong and had a team meeting trying to reunite the team for no reason
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
KBH wrote:
Username wrote:
KBH wrote:

Did I say that? No. The topic at hand is whether or not the young players "gave up" on the season after the trade rumors. I said they didn't. I never said the team as a whole played good basketball. Try to keep up.

Try to keep up with reality. Magic didn't hold a team meeting for no reason no matter how hard you tie yourself in knots to argue that it wasn't necessary. Good kool-aid.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Username wrote:
KBH wrote:
Username wrote:
KBH wrote:

Try to keep up with reality. Magic didn't hold a team meeting for no reason no matter how hard you tie yourself in knots to argue that it wasn't necessary. Good kool-aid.

You are still confused. Nobody is denying the reason Magic held the meeting. There may have been hurt feelings because of the rumors. Let's assume there were.

The question at hand here, is DID THE YOUNG PLAYERS GIVE UP ON THE SEASON? That's what we're discussing here, KBH. So, it's irrelevant what the meeting was about, because I would contend that the young players, in fact, did not give up on the season going forward.

Did the team as a whole play great basketball after the rumors? No, but that's not what we're discussing here. We're discussing how it affected the young players.

Besides that, you know what, they weren't playing great basketball BEFORE the trade rumors either. We had only won 7 of our last 19 games before the first news reports leaked of our trade offer for AD. So yeah, we played a little bit worse after all that started, but this thing was going off the rails long before that with injuries and the vets stinking up the joint. Trying to blame it all on the trade rumors is just a simplistic, agenda-driven view of the big picture.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
KBH wrote:
Username wrote:
KBH wrote:
Username wrote:
KBH wrote:

You are still confused. Nobody is denying the reason Magic held the meeting. There may have been hurt feelings because of the rumors. Let's assume there were.

The question at hand here, is DID THE YOUNG PLAYERS GIVE UP ON THE SEASON? That's what we're discussing here, KBH. So, it's irrelevant what the meeting was about, because I would contend that the young players, in fact, did not give up on the season going forward.

Did the team as a whole play great basketball after the rumors? No, but that's not what we're discussing here. We're discussing how it affected the young players.

Besides that, you know what, they weren't playing great basketball BEFORE the trade rumors either. We had only won 7 of our last 19 games before the first news reports leaked of our trade offer for AD. So yeah, we played a little bit worse after all that started, but this thing was going off the rails long before that with injuries and the vets stinking up the joint. Trying to blame it all on the trade rumors is just a simplistic, agenda-driven view of the big picture.

THIS! People are overlooking the fact that we were playing like trash before the AD rumors started. Those rumors didn't help but we were already trending towards missing the playoffs before any of that started. Injuries and terrible coaching was sinking us before the youngster had their feelings hurt
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
KBH wrote:
Username wrote:
KBH wrote:
Username wrote:
KBH wrote:

Who was out hurt before before the AD stuff? Who was out hurt after the AD stuff? Who is still out hurt now?

I consider Josh hart to be hurt. i still dont know why they havent made him sit down yet. its clear as day he's trying to be a good soldier. but the guy aint right and he's not looking good out there so might as well sit it down.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I listened to that podcast and they were spot on.
No they were not.

Name me any teams that have been to the finals in recent memory that didnt have at least TWO STARS?

Yeah, thought so.

lets say they are spot on about the lakers not worrying as much about analytics and the other things he named. lets for arguments take say thats 100% true(we dont know it its actually true just cause they said so.)

even if true. why would your GM/FO have the thought process stars or bust? because it has worked for this franchise since...Forever. In addition, other teams are not winning without them. we're not talking about winning banners. or winning during the season. we're talking about winning rings. not one ring. ringS. you aint pulling that off right now with out at minimum two SUPERstars.

those saying we should build thru the draft only believe that because you're watching the warriors who did it. but they could do it because they sucked for a very very long time. they havent won a title since before magic was on the lakers as a player. you should not compare the lakers to that team. the lakers dont compare to ANY team, especially non of the current teams that are winning a lot right now.

Warriors- havent seen a finals in multiple decades before drafting the splash bros.

same with the Bucks. I think the last time they went was when kareem helped them get there before becoming a laker. not an apples to apples comparison.

The L.A. Clippers still havent seen a finals. STILL.

The rockets didnt build thru the draft. they got two stars (harden, cp3). but they havent been really good since yao called it quits. until recently.

we can do this for just about every team that is current day Hot and exciting to watch.

While these baby loser teams were going thru their losing seasons or barely making the playoff seasons the lakers were taking road trips to the finals like it was their job to do it. Hey laker player where do you work ?" In the finals"

Hey all other teams players where do you work "oh um the same city as the team i play for."

See the difference?

STOP trying to make the lakers one of those teams. they are not those teams. period. we would have to lose for another 2 more decades and wipe out almost all of our 80's and 2000's rings.

People never mention that cp3 deal and the fact that we drafted bynum who ended up having career ending knees. if those two things do not happen. we would already have been in contention and have 2 stars post kobe. injuries you cant do anything about, the nixing of the deal was ridiculous and held our franchise back for YEARS, 5 at minimum. because it did not just stop us from getting cp3, it stopped us from making sure we had at least 2 stars in the future. It also meant we had to keep aging lo and aging gasol or trade them when the entire planet knows they want to leave since at that point they are disgruntled employees. thats why we couldnt get much of anything for them. stern killed that deal making us show our hand. you can't play poker showing your hand to everyone before the game is over.

Lol at draft stuff that they said as if we didnt get josh hart and kuz who were praised league wide until josh started playing hurt.

and then all the injuries this season. two guys down with season ending injuries.

Finals? We can’t get to the playoffs.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Username wrote:
KBH wrote:
Username wrote:
KBH wrote:
Username wrote:
KBH wrote:

Who was out hurt before before the AD stuff? Who was out hurt after the AD stuff? Who is still out hurt now?

I consider Josh hart to be hurt. i still dont know why they havent made him sit down yet. its clear as day he's trying to be a good soldier. but the guy aint right and he's not looking good out there so might as well sit it down.

Before: LeBron, Ball, Rondo

After: Ball, Kuzma, Hart, Ingram.

This is the biggest reason for the collapse down the stretch (that began well before any trade rumors). Not hurt feelings and players "giving up."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Let's put it this way.

Say Clips get their 2 all stars, say KL/Kyrie (for argument's sake).

Say the Lakers get Klay. So we have LBJ/Klay.

Do you trust the Clips to build around the margins better with complementary role players? Or do you trust the brain trust that gave 28-29m to KCP/Rondo/Lance/Beez?

With each roster as presently constructed, not accounting for injuries, we would be the better team.

We have no supporting player as good as Lou or Gallo.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Let's put it this way.

Do you trust the Clips to build around the margins better with complementary role players? Or do you trust the brain trust that gave 28-29m to KCP/Rondo/Lance/Beez?

With each roster as presently constructed, not accounting for injuries, we would be the better team.

only if we convinced lou to stay and sign the same deal as his new clippers deal.

but hey we wanted 2 max spots
diamondcutter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Brian Windhorst Breaks Down the Disastrous Lakers Season.

AFireInside619 wrote:
Brian Windhorst, Kevin Pelton, & Kirk Goldsberry on the ESPN NBA Podcast broke down the Lakers season. Even though I have disagreed with Windhorst through out the season, I have to admit he was right about the Lakers/Lebron situation. I know this is rehashing a lot of things we already know about the Lakers, but it’s important because other people around the league have noticed it also. Here are some key points.

1. The blood clot in Ingram’s shoulder was caught in time and who ever looked into his injury further should receive immense credit (since it’s potentially life threatening). Blood clots are very treatable, but another one could end his career. He also said that people around the league feel this does a lot damage to his trade value (obviously).

2. Sports Science and Medical Science in 2019 is very important and there’s legitimate concern that the Lakers are not prepared to deal with these realities. Windhorst has heard this question come up many times.

3. Windhorst cited a Kevin Arnovitz’s Lakers article from over the weekend. The article said Magic determines his success or failure based on what stars he can bring to the Lakers. The Lakers set aside team building for “star hunting”. The Lakers aren’t worried about player development, draft procedures, and player personnel.

4. The Lakers are looking for a center but let Lopez, Bryant, and Zu walk out the door.

5. Again citing the Arnovitz article, they said that the Lakers are behind in innovation, cap strategy, analytics, etc. The Lakers act entitled and aren’t innovative like other top teams.

6. Windhorst said that even though the Lakers make the most money in the NBA, they operate like a small market team since the Buss family aren’t as rich as other owners. They have holes in many operational positions. The problem is the Lakers don’t have the proper make-up like a small market team that have to build through the draft and can’t rely on the same income the Lakers have. Once again citing player development and the failure to develop Russell, Ingram, and Ball.

7. Lebron is an expert of influencing moves without taking any ownership. He said the Lakers misunderstood what dealing with Lebron is. He felt the Lakers didn’t do any research in the Lebron department. Ultimately Magic is the GM and it’s his job to put his fingerprints on the team. You can ask Lebron who he wants, but he’ll never take ownership of it. It’s Magic job to make the right signings (not KCP, Lance, Rondo, and McGee).

8. There’s a proven formula when building a team around Lebron and the Lakers defiantly went against that. The 2019 Lakers are a failure in team building and vision. The leading 3 point shooter on the Lakers is Kuzma and he ranks 55th in the league in percentage. Cleveland always had people over 40%, Kuzma is shooting 31%.

9. Pelton ends by saying the Lakers should get complimentary free agents instead of pitting them against the young core (ie Rondo vs Ball, Beasley vs Kuz, etc). He pointed out how the Clippers have 1 year contracts but still remain competitive.

10. Lakers should look into a player like Bojan Bogdanović this off season, but you’ll never hear that name coming from the Lakers or their fans.

I take exception to #10. That's exactly who I want.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject:

^annoying to have laker fans being equated to the organization, but then again i don't do twitter and i can only imagine how many stupid (bleep) LA fans troll those threads.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Let's put it this way.

I'm not sure you can call someone earning $22 million a supporting player.

Anyway, Super Gallo of 2019? No, maybe not. But I think this is an aberration. Looking at the guy he was for the rest of his career before this year, which was still a very good player, I'd rather have Kuzma and Ingram going forward.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
KBH wrote:
Username wrote:
KBH wrote:
Username wrote:
KBH wrote:

I'm not confused about anything. Magic called a team meeting to keep the guys together because there was a sense the team was giving up. Everything else is you trying to deflect blame from Magic.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Username wrote:
KBH wrote:
Username wrote:
KBH wrote:
Username wrote:
KBH wrote:

I'm not confused about anything. Magic called a team meeting to keep the guys together because there was a sense the team was giving up. Everything else is you trying to deflect blame from Magic.

Again, you're still confused. We're not discussing whether there was "a sense" the team was giving up. The topic is... DID THEY GIVE UP? There's a difference between being upset about trade rumors, being dejected, being depressed, and outright GIVING UP.

They didn't give up. Their play on the court showed that. The team sucked going forward, but they sucked before the trade rumors too. But keep ignoring that.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
KBH wrote:
Username wrote:
KBH wrote:
Username wrote:
KBH wrote:
Username wrote:
KBH wrote:

Again, you're still confused. We're not discussing whether there was "a sense" the team was giving up. The topic is... DID THEY GIVE UP? There's a difference between being upset about trade rumors, being dejected, being depressed, and outright GIVING UP.

They didn't give up. Their play on the court showed that. The team sucked going forward, but they sucked before the trade rumors too. But keep ignoring that.

Lol you're funny. The sense isn't something our of thin air but rather how the was playing on the court following the rumors. Again, if it were simply a matter of it being poor play, a team meeting wouldn't have been necessary because like you said they were playing poorly before. But there's a difference playing poorly while playing hard and losing and not showing up to play against Indiana and losing by 42. But YOU can continue to ignore reality and continue living in the Magical reality you've constructed where everything was the same as always and team meetings are called for non-issues.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:

Lol you're funny. The sense isn't something our of thin air but rather how the was playing on the court following the rumors. Again, if it were simply a matter of it being poor play, a team meeting wouldn't have been necessary because like you said they were playing poorly before. But there's a difference playing poorly while playing hard and losing and not showing up to play against Indiana and losing by 42. But YOU can continue to ignore reality and continue living in the Magical reality you've constructed where everything was the same as always and team meetings are called for non-issues.

The fact that you keep bringing up this meeting shows how out to lunch you are in this discussion, so this will be my last response, because you just aren't getting it.

Once again, the topic: DID THE YOUNG PLAYERS GIVE UP ON THE SEASON?

The meeting is irrelevant. ONCE AGAIN, I'm not denying the meeting was called because morale was low. That is obvious. But if the meeting was called for low morale, it's more accurate to say:

"Morale was low because of the trade rumors, so Magic called a meeting to get everyone back on the same page."

Rather than:

"The young players gave up after the trade rumors."

As I said before, which you keep ignoring, the meeting being held to address morale, and the young players supposedly "giving up" are not mutually exclusive things. Low morale and "giving up" are also two completely different things. Players can be bothered by trade rumors, that's fine and understandable, that's a far cry from saying they "gave up" on the season, because - as their play showed - they didn't.

Yeah, the blowout loss to Indiana sucked, but we lost by 30+ to Denver back in November, with a team at full strength, well before there were any trade rumors. Blowouts happen, and that one was bad, but one blowout doesn't mean they GAVE UP ON THE SEASON (which is again, what we are discussing here.)
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
KBH wrote:

The fact that you keep bringing up this meeting shows how out to lunch you are in this discussion, so this will be my last response, because you just aren't getting it.

Once again, the topic: DID THE YOUNG PLAYERS GIVE UP ON THE SEASON?

The meeting is irrelevant. ONCE AGAIN, I'm not denying the meeting was called because morale was low. That is obvious. But if the meeting was called for low morale, it's more accurate to say:

"Morale was low because of the trade rumors, so Magic called a meeting to get everyone back on the same page."

Rather than:

"The young players gave up after the trade rumors."

As I said before, which you keep ignoring, the meeting being held to address morale, and the young players supposedly "giving up" are not mutually exclusive things. Low morale and "giving up" are also two completely different things. Players can be bothered by trade rumors, that's fine and understandable, that's a far cry from saying they "gave up" on the season, because - as their play showed - they didn't.

Yeah, the blowout loss to Indiana sucked, but we lost by 30+ to Denver back in November, with a team at full strength, well before there were any trade rumors. Blowouts happen, and that one was bad, but one blowout doesn't mean they GAVE UP ON THE SEASON (which is again, what we are discussing here.)

The team meeting is entirely part of it. That's why it was called. Because there was a sense the team was giving up on the season after games like a 42 point loss to Indiana. The only reason you want to ignore is to cling to an irrelevant point. The overarching point is that the trade rumors had an impact on the team that Magic attempted to address. Everything else you're saying is deflecting criticism from Magic with an argument irrelevant to the fundamental issue at hand.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Magic has gotten LeBron to LA
He should have Anthony Davis here too
Can’t fault him that the league is always lined up together to work against the Lakers- telling the Pelicans to not trade AD here.

The package the Lakers offered for AD will be available for other stars
He will land one via trade at some point

Let’s see what he does with capspace this summer

In 2 years he hasn’t made one cap destroying move. People hurt over Russell. A) Russell was gonna ask for a max this year. Bye bye cap. B) Ingram gives them another year. C) Russell wasn’t ever going to be the star he is in BRK in LAL especially in Lebrons shadow and in Lukes system

We have capspace to sign a mega star
We have 4 lottery level assets - Ingram, Ball, Kuzma and a lottery pick

I’d give them until end of July to show what they can do
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Can’t fault him that the league is always lined up together to work against the Lakers- telling the Pelicans to not trade AD here.

In 2 years he hasn’t made one cap destroying move. People hurt over Russell. A) Russell was gonna ask for a max this year. Bye bye cap. B) Ingram gives them another year. C) Russell wasn’t ever going to be the star he is in BRK in LAL especially in Lebrons shadow and in Lukes system

I think that's reasonable. At this point, we're tied to Magic's strategy so we have to see if he's able to execute. I am not a huge fan of his plan, but if he lands another max free agent he's accomplished his goal -- and then we'll see if it works.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject:

If LeBron missed 18 games in any Cavs season the last 4 years and isn’t healthy going into the playoffs... they don’t make the Finals

It’s a major thing being overlooked in this season is that we end up having what 25 games where LBj Ball Ingram all played? That’s ridiculous

We’re judging the entire plan and season and even LBJ on a team that was not healthy.

In a way this will work for us
Even if LBj Ball Ingram played 70 games together
Made playoffs
We’re bounced round 1 or 2

Now we’re going to draft in the top 10
We have a better trade asset or maybe even a really good young player

I’m fine with the plan for now
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Magic did get LeBron and he has space to sign someone else. That does mean something. But he might also be the only person who can say they signed LeBron and the team got worse a year later. That might mean something too.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Magic did get LeBron and he has space to sign someone else. That does mean something. But he might also be the only person who can say they signed LeBron and the team got worse a year later. That might mean something too.

Magic over-thought the construction of this roster. It's better to fall on your face (miss playoffs) than to get your knees scraped (second round exit) because now there is no doubt that Magic knows he did a poor job. Hoping next year's team will look totally different, but I don't have much faith in Magic when it comes to talent evaluation and roster construction.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject:

It's difficult for me to listen to national sports media re: the Lakers because of their disdain for the franchise. Those guys are drinking our tears just as much as Celtic fans.

Gimme Pincus/Mike all day. Windhorst can hedge on any statement with Lebron on the team because if he's wrong, then queue the 'Lebron makes everyone in the world better' pre-printed fluff piece.

Magic, Pelinka, Buss fam, the whole Lakers organization all have a 'perception is reality' problem right now.

The only way to fix it is to win. Honestly, we cannot sink any lower than this. Can we?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10
Jump to: