Good thing about this season going into the summer
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Good thing about this season going into the summer

I was having a conversation with a friend about how if a superstar like Kawhi, KD, Klay, or Kyrie come to the Lakers this summer the story won't be about how they're joining LeBron, it will be about how they are saving LeBron.

It really sets up some interesting narratives, my favorite being Kyrie. If he came, it would be him coming to the Lakers after a disappointing season to come help LeBron after their previous history.

But yea, do you guys think this will be something that can actually attract FA's ?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject:

This is a good thread, I feel like a FA right now is salvaging at the thought of being the Lakers savior so this could be a blessing in disguise.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Interesting. If I were a FA, I could see your point tbh. Think some might be attracted by the thought of 'saving' LeBron instead of the old 'play with LeBron, get blamed for everything, and 0 credit' pitch.
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Stay away from Kyrie. Amazing talent but become a headcase the last 3 seasons and always injured. And with Lonzo looking injury prone, we can’t afford that inconsistent PG rotation.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject:

I could see it if Lebron made the pitch to a FA privately and publicly (to a degree)....making the FA and the public aware that he "needs" them. Fwiw, I do not see that happening....my assumption is Lebron is similar to Kobe in that he will simply be able to truly view and express another player being his equal on the team.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Agree, Kyrie would be the worst free agent pickup they can get out of stars. He won't really make this team any better. In fact some say the Celtics are better when he isn't playing.

Stay away from him.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Good thing about this season going into the summer

Day wrote:
I was having a conversation with a friend about how if a superstar like Kawhi, KD, Klay, or Kyrie come to the Lakers this summer the story won't be about how they're joining LeBron, it will be about how they are saving LeBron.

It really sets up some interesting narratives, my favorite being Kyrie. If he came, it would be him coming to the Lakers after a disappointing season to come help LeBron after their previous history.

But yea, do you guys think this will be something that can actually attract FA's ?

Hard to say. There's your scenario. I could also see FAs looking at the dysfunction and injuries and wondering if this team has enough to give them a chance to win.

I think the best scenario would have been the young guys developing and us getting into the playoffs. But that didn't happen so you can't worry about it. A top FA will either sign here or he won't.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject:

This is exactly the point Chris Broussard made on Fox Sports radio last week.

It's one way for potential FAs to see it, but at the same time, if one of them comes here and we win the world championship, I think the media will see it as a redemption story for Lebron and give him all the credit. They'll go with that narrative because it would help their BS narrative that Lebron is the GOAT.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject:

So this is like Phil Jackson team before he got Pau
tony
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject:

1. KD
2. KL
3. Klay
4. Jimmy
5. Trade deal involving AD

Stay away from:

1. Kyrie
2. Cousins
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
This is a good thread, I feel like a FA right now is salvaging at the thought of being the Lakers savior so this could be a blessing in disguise.

Salvaging at the thought.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:

To the media it will always be Lebron leading other players.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Agree, Kyrie would be the worst free agent pickup they can get out of stars. He won't really make this team any better. In fact some say the Celtics are better when he isn't playing.

Stay away from him.

yeah I'm also not sold on Kyrie as a max guy, but I mean he'd provide more value than KCP and other salary punts
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

/thread

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject:

diando wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

/thread

Completely disagree, many in the media have been calling him out lately. Not blaming his team but actually call him out. Don't forget, we're the Lakers. If LeBron were on another team then I would agree but being here? He doesn't get the same narrative anymore.

If a superstar comes here it will be "X came to the Lakers and saved LeBron".
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject:

Anybody that comes here has to be comfortable being in Lebrons shadow. They have to be prepared to take blame for the losses, and extra blame if they actually play poorly. They have to be prepared for a lot of Lebron's shortcomings to be glazed over and sitting back as Lebron gets the credit for the wins. They have be ok with their good play being a result of Lebron having made them better.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:

Stay away from him.

Kyrie makes us a playoff team, if Durant leaves the warriors, it makes us a contender.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Anybody that comes here has to be comfortable being in Lebrons shadow. They have to be prepared to take blame for the losses, and extra blame if they actually play poorly. They have to be prepared for a lot of Lebron's shortcomings to be glazed over and sitting back as Lebron gets the credit for the wins. They have be ok with their good play being a result of Lebron having made them better.

It will either take someone very humble who doesn't care about spotlight, or someone with a massive ego who thinks they can overpower Lebron's media influence. Sounds like Klay on the humble side, or Jimmy Butler on the egomaniac side.

Klay already said he wants to retire with GSW. Jimmy is probably the most likely to sign out of the "big name" free agents.

Last edited by Ziggy on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:

I look at it from a different viewpoint. If Lebron ever wants to win again, he has to make it clear to that Max FA that it will be the Max FAs team.

Lebron must become the #2, unless he really doesn’t care about winning another chip.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:

I look at it from a different viewpoint. If Lebron ever wants to win again, he has to make it clear to that Max FA that it will be the Max FAs team.

Lebron must become the #2, unless he really doesn’t care about winning another chip.

Sure if it comes down to KD, and maybe Kawhi...

But Butler, Kyrie not sure you want those guys as the #1...
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:

Then Lebron has to go to THEIR and do that there, even then it probably wouldn't happen, the media won't let it. It certainly isn't happening here.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject:

This team needs a motor.

I'd be happy with Kyrie or Kemba.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Salvaging at the thought.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:

Then Lebron has to go to THEIR and do that there, even then it probably wouldn't happen, the media won't let it. It certainly isn't happening here.

Do you have a newspaper clipping of LBJ on your bathroom mirror that you crumble into a ball like Rocky did in Rocky 4 every night?
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

You mean salamandering.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: