Official Tennis Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 4643
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Official Tennis Thread

Fed on course for title #101
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018


Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 17959
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject:

I've still never attended this event and would love to. It's basically the biggest tournament in the world aside from the 4 majors. My damn condo has been undergoing a renovation since mid-January and there's too much crap going on here for me to be able to get away. I'm hoping to finally go next year.

This has been a strange tournament this year, though. Much colder weather than usual, upsets on both the men's and women's side, and another Serena retirement under strange circumstances. I think we've seen the last of Serena dominating women's tennis. Her best is still the best in the game, I believe, but I am not sure she can show that level for 7 matches at a Slam anymore. She simply may never be the same after having her daughter, and, let's face it, she's in her late-30's now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 4643
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I've still never attended this event and would love to. It's basically the biggest tournament in the world aside from the 4 majors. My damn condo has been undergoing a renovation since mid-January and there's too much crap going on here for me to be able to get away. I'm hoping to finally go next year.

This has been a strange tournament this year, though. Much colder weather than usual, upsets on both the men's and women's side, and another Serena retirement under strange circumstances. I think we've seen the last of Serena dominating women's tennis. Her best is still the best in the game, I believe, but I am not sure she can show that level for 7 matches at a Slam anymore. She simply may never be the same after having her daughter, and, let's face it, she's in her late-30's now.


It's (bleep) awesome. I attended for the first time yesterday and saw a couple of non-headliner doubles matches and the atmosphere is fantastic. Wish this stuff would happen in SoCal more often.
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 17959
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I've still never attended this event and would love to. It's basically the biggest tournament in the world aside from the 4 majors. My damn condo has been undergoing a renovation since mid-January and there's too much crap going on here for me to be able to get away. I'm hoping to finally go next year.

This has been a strange tournament this year, though. Much colder weather than usual, upsets on both the men's and women's side, and another Serena retirement under strange circumstances. I think we've seen the last of Serena dominating women's tennis. Her best is still the best in the game, I believe, but I am not sure she can show that level for 7 matches at a Slam anymore. She simply may never be the same after having her daughter, and, let's face it, she's in her late-30's now.


It's (bleep) awesome. I attended for the first time yesterday and saw a couple of non-headliner doubles matches and the atmosphere is fantastic. Wish this stuff would happen in SoCal more often.


Yeah, I've heard nothing but great things. I have many tennis friends who have gone to this tournament. I actually have played in several tournaments out in the desert myself, just none around this time of year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 4643
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I've still never attended this event and would love to. It's basically the biggest tournament in the world aside from the 4 majors. My damn condo has been undergoing a renovation since mid-January and there's too much crap going on here for me to be able to get away. I'm hoping to finally go next year.

This has been a strange tournament this year, though. Much colder weather than usual, upsets on both the men's and women's side, and another Serena retirement under strange circumstances. I think we've seen the last of Serena dominating women's tennis. Her best is still the best in the game, I believe, but I am not sure she can show that level for 7 matches at a Slam anymore. She simply may never be the same after having her daughter, and, let's face it, she's in her late-30's now.


It's (bleep) awesome. I attended for the first time yesterday and saw a couple of non-headliner doubles matches and the atmosphere is fantastic. Wish this stuff would happen in SoCal more often.


Yeah, I've heard nothing but great things. I have many tennis friends who have gone to this tournament. I actually have played in several tournaments out in the desert myself, just none around this time of year.


I can't imagine playing in the desert now especially with the sun out in full force at USTA saturday mornings. The sun bothers my serve more than it does most people. I dish out bagels when it's overcast, though. Catch me in a night match and lord have mercy on your soul.
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
focus
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 May 2012
Posts: 1660

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Fed Nadal semifinal would be great, but big Russian playing Nadal may stop it. Hope to see Monfils or Thiem on the other half as long as they put in a good fight in the final.

Canadian and swiss young women are taking big steps here, beating seeds and in the semis. Hope Venus knocks em all down but doubt she can. Kerber may be the last woman standing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 17959
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I've still never attended this event and would love to. It's basically the biggest tournament in the world aside from the 4 majors. My damn condo has been undergoing a renovation since mid-January and there's too much crap going on here for me to be able to get away. I'm hoping to finally go next year.

This has been a strange tournament this year, though. Much colder weather than usual, upsets on both the men's and women's side, and another Serena retirement under strange circumstances. I think we've seen the last of Serena dominating women's tennis. Her best is still the best in the game, I believe, but I am not sure she can show that level for 7 matches at a Slam anymore. She simply may never be the same after having her daughter, and, let's face it, she's in her late-30's now.


It's (bleep) awesome. I attended for the first time yesterday and saw a couple of non-headliner doubles matches and the atmosphere is fantastic. Wish this stuff would happen in SoCal more often.


Yeah, I've heard nothing but great things. I have many tennis friends who have gone to this tournament. I actually have played in several tournaments out in the desert myself, just none around this time of year.


I can't imagine playing in the desert now especially with the sun out in full force at USTA saturday mornings. The sun bothers my serve more than it does most people. I dish out bagels when it's overcast, though. Catch me in a night match and lord have mercy on your soul.


I like playing at night much more, also. I once played in a grass-court singles match in May (on what Mark Woodforde once called "the greatest grass tennis courts in the world" at Mission Hills CC in Rancho Mirage) where it was 100 degrees, and because I'm a glutton for punishment in singles and my best singles skill is movement, we played a 3 hour and 20 minute 3-set marathon. I lost in a 3rd set tiebreak, and yet it was my opponent who had to go to the ER that night from severe dehydration and he had to default his singles match in the next round on the next day. I remember that I had match point at 6-5 in the breaker, hit one of my best serves all day out wide to his backhand (which sucked), came in on the serve since it was exactly where I was aiming, and the dude hits a reaching slice backhand right on the line, down the line, for a winner. Story of my life. But hey, at least I put him in the hospital, right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 4643
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I've still never attended this event and would love to. It's basically the biggest tournament in the world aside from the 4 majors. My damn condo has been undergoing a renovation since mid-January and there's too much crap going on here for me to be able to get away. I'm hoping to finally go next year.

This has been a strange tournament this year, though. Much colder weather than usual, upsets on both the men's and women's side, and another Serena retirement under strange circumstances. I think we've seen the last of Serena dominating women's tennis. Her best is still the best in the game, I believe, but I am not sure she can show that level for 7 matches at a Slam anymore. She simply may never be the same after having her daughter, and, let's face it, she's in her late-30's now.


It's (bleep) awesome. I attended for the first time yesterday and saw a couple of non-headliner doubles matches and the atmosphere is fantastic. Wish this stuff would happen in SoCal more often.


Yeah, I've heard nothing but great things. I have many tennis friends who have gone to this tournament. I actually have played in several tournaments out in the desert myself, just none around this time of year.


I can't imagine playing in the desert now especially with the sun out in full force at USTA saturday mornings. The sun bothers my serve more than it does most people. I dish out bagels when it's overcast, though. Catch me in a night match and lord have mercy on your soul.


I like playing at night much more, also. I once played in a grass-court singles match in May (on what Mark Woodforde once called "the greatest grass tennis courts in the world" at Mission Hills CC in Rancho Mirage) where it was 100 degrees, and because I'm a glutton for punishment in singles and my best singles skill is movement, we played a 3 hour and 20 minute 3-set marathon. I lost in a 3rd set tiebreak, and yet it was my opponent who had to go to the ER that night from severe dehydration and he had to default his singles match in the next round on the next day. I remember that I had match point at 6-5 in the breaker, hit one of my best serves all day out wide to his backhand (which sucked), came in on the serve since it was exactly where I was aiming, and the dude hits a reaching slice backhand right on the line, down the line, for a winner. Story of my life. But hey, at least I put him in the hospital, right?


jesus F at 100 degrees

nice story. do you flat or kick your first serve?
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 17959
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I've still never attended this event and would love to. It's basically the biggest tournament in the world aside from the 4 majors. My damn condo has been undergoing a renovation since mid-January and there's too much crap going on here for me to be able to get away. I'm hoping to finally go next year.

This has been a strange tournament this year, though. Much colder weather than usual, upsets on both the men's and women's side, and another Serena retirement under strange circumstances. I think we've seen the last of Serena dominating women's tennis. Her best is still the best in the game, I believe, but I am not sure she can show that level for 7 matches at a Slam anymore. She simply may never be the same after having her daughter, and, let's face it, she's in her late-30's now.


It's (bleep) awesome. I attended for the first time yesterday and saw a couple of non-headliner doubles matches and the atmosphere is fantastic. Wish this stuff would happen in SoCal more often.


Yeah, I've heard nothing but great things. I have many tennis friends who have gone to this tournament. I actually have played in several tournaments out in the desert myself, just none around this time of year.


I can't imagine playing in the desert now especially with the sun out in full force at USTA saturday mornings. The sun bothers my serve more than it does most people. I dish out bagels when it's overcast, though. Catch me in a night match and lord have mercy on your soul.


I like playing at night much more, also. I once played in a grass-court singles match in May (on what Mark Woodforde once called "the greatest grass tennis courts in the world" at Mission Hills CC in Rancho Mirage) where it was 100 degrees, and because I'm a glutton for punishment in singles and my best singles skill is movement, we played a 3 hour and 20 minute 3-set marathon. I lost in a 3rd set tiebreak, and yet it was my opponent who had to go to the ER that night from severe dehydration and he had to default his singles match in the next round on the next day. I remember that I had match point at 6-5 in the breaker, hit one of my best serves all day out wide to his backhand (which sucked), came in on the serve since it was exactly where I was aiming, and the dude hits a reaching slice backhand right on the line, down the line, for a winner. Story of my life. But hey, at least I put him in the hospital, right?


jesus F at 100 degrees

nice story. do you flat or kick your first serve?


I'm just happy when it goes in. LOL, in all seriousness, sometimes I try to hit it flatter, and I'd say that my most comfortable serve is an angled slice serve out wide on the deuce side, where I put that kind of spin on the ball. I don't really have a kick serve. My hardest first serves are probably around 90-95; maybe if I catch it perfectly I can approach 100. My high school doubles partner had one of the best kick serves I've ever seen, even at that age. It was routine of him to literally hit a kick serve on the ad court into the fence where the opponent would have to drastically change his return position to have a shot at it, and then, of course, that would open it up for him to just hit a normal serve down the T.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 32402

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Good tournament, but its too far from LA for a lot of people. I notice the LA media barely mention it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 15018
Location: In a no-ship

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject:

We should have an official tennis thread
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 4643
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
We should have an official tennis thread


agree
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 32402

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Nadal withdraws from Indian Wells before the Federer semifinal match due to knee injury.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 17959
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Nadal withdraws from Indian Wells before the Federer semifinal match due to knee injury.


Nadal has now withdrawn or retired in 19 of the past 22 hard court events that he was entered in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 32402

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject:

They were showing the men's semifinal today on ABC, one of the few times a non grand slam tournament is on network TV. It was a shame about Nadal getting injured since that would've helped this tournament.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 15121

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Man I went to Indian Wells back in 2009, I think Nadal pasted Murray in the GF. It's crazy to believe ten years later Federer, Nadal, and Djok are still three of the top four players in the world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Theseus
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Posts: 7085

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject:

I was bummed about Nadal withdrawing, but it was evident that would happen after watching his QF. It would seem Rafa would have to be at full strength to play against Roger when he is playing as well as he has been.

Did anyone watch that Hubert Hurkacz guy? He has a lot of skills. I feel there are a lot of good young tennis players nowadays. Didn't feel that way a few years ago.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Theseus
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Posts: 7085

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Thiem has a lot of firepower, I think this final will be very close.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Theseus
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Posts: 7085

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Roger looked like he was cruising until the early part of the 2nd set when he seemed to implode. His tactics were very questionable. Then in the third, his tactics were questionable again when he went to two drop shots which both failed. This led to the late break.

Thiem definitely deserved this. He looked good, and made some tremendous shots. I was really impressed by him today.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 4643
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject:

damn those were some ill-advised drop shots. Identical results, too.
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 15018
Location: In a no-ship

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Thiem is already out in Miami, and Serena just withdrew (knee injury).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Theseus
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Posts: 7085

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject:

Osaka out in the round of 32 to the only person I know of that has a two-handed forehand. Hsieh Su-Wei is such an interesting player to watch.

Wawrinka is out early as well.

Dimitrov lost today as well.

Simona Halep and Venus will meet tomorrow in the round of 16. Call me crazy, but I think Venus can beat her. She's looked really good thus far.

Kyrgios and Borna Coric play tomorrow too. Always interesting to see Kyrgios play. Coric is a good younger player as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 17959
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
Osaka out in the round of 32 to the only person I know of that has a two-handed forehand. Hsieh Su-Wei is such an interesting player to watch.

Wawrinka is out early as well.

Dimitrov lost today as well.

Simona Halep and Venus will meet tomorrow in the round of 16. Call me crazy, but I think Venus can beat her. She's looked really good thus far.

Kyrgios and Borna Coric play tomorrow too. Always interesting to see Kyrgios play. Coric is a good younger player as well.


It's just really hard for Venus, at her age, to play a bunch of matches in a row where she looks good. She can beat anyone, and can also lose to anyone. Just depends on how she feels that day.

Hseih beating Osaka was awesome, and I can't help but to think that she should have beaten her at the AO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 15018
Location: In a no-ship

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Hseih is really a pleasure to watch. She has absolutely no power, but changes pace so well and puts the ball exactly where she wants to and it frustrates the hell out of the top players.

She took out another former #1 today in Wozniacki
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 17959
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Hseih is really a pleasure to watch. She has absolutely no power, but changes pace so well and puts the ball exactly where she wants to and it frustrates the hell out of the top players.

She took out another former #1 today in Wozniacki


I love watching her too. It's like watching an artist at work. If she actually had a big serve, she'd really be lethal. As it is, she is a nuisance to play against for sure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB