Apple/Spotify War - Who's Right?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is more "right" -- Apple or Spotify?
Apple
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Spotify
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Neither is more right than the other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Apple/Spotify War - Who's Right?

Wondering how you guys feel about the Apple/Spotify war that is going on right now. Several days ago, Spotify launched a new website (timetoplayfair.com) that puts Apple directly in their crosshairs. It's an interesting read, and I highly recommend it. Then, yesterday, Apple issued an official response on their website. Who, in your mind, has the more valid point? Apple or Spotify?

Spotify's Statement: https://www.timetoplayfair.com/timeline/
Apple's Response: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/03/addressing-spotifys-claims/

Quote:
SPOTIFY: Apple’s behavior isn’t new. In fact, there are countless times over the years that demonstrate that they don’t play fair.

Quote:
APPLE: Spotify has every right to determine their own business model, but we feel an obligation to respond when Spotify wraps its financial motivations in misleading rhetoric about who we are, what we’ve built and what we do to support independent developers, musicians, songwriters and creators of all stripes.

Thoughts? They both have points -- but who in your mind has the more valid one?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject:

It's Apple's app store so they can make and change the rules. Of course they're going to have the rules favor their own apps and services, they'd be stupid not to.

While I agree that they aren't exactly "playing fair" it's well within their right to limit how easily it's going to be for a potential customer to use a competitors app instead of their own.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject:

The only material I’ve read about this are the two links above but at first blush it certainly does seem like Spotify wants access to the Apple platform without having to pay for it. I do think Spotify makes a valid point about Apple’s stringent ecosystems. They’ve always been that way though and not just with regards to Spotify despite their feeling that they’re being targeted. I do suppose this gets into the tricky area of fairness when Apple owns both the platform and Spotify’s main (only) service competition. Not to turn this into a political thread, and we should avoid discussing whether it’s right or wrong in this thread, but one of the 2020 candidates brought up the idea of breaking up big tech companies with scenarios like this being specifically cited.

When Apple releases a product like the Watch or HomePod are they required to include Spotify integration? IMO it’s in Apple’s best interest to do so, but if they don’t and the customer doesn’t like it there’s Android and Samsung Wear and Sonos and Echo.

I am a happy Apple and Spotify customer, btw.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
The only material I’ve read about this are the two links above but at first blush it certainly does seem like Spotify wants access to the Apple platform without having to pay for it. I do think Spotify makes a valid point about Apple’s stringent ecosystems. They’ve always been that way though and not just with regards to Spotify despite their feeling that they’re being targeted. I do suppose this gets into the tricky area of fairness when Apple owns both the platform and Spotify’s main (only) service competition. Not to turn this into a political thread, and we should avoid discussing whether it’s right or wrong in this thread, but one of the 2020 candidates brought up the idea of breaking up big tech companies with scenarios like this being specifically cited.

When Apple releases a product like the Watch or HomePod are they required to include Spotify integration? IMO it’s in Apple’s best interest to do so, but if they don’t and the customer doesn’t like it there’s Android and Samsung Wear and Sonos and Echo.

Isn't something very similar to this the reason the EU ruled against Google and the Android platform?

We saw something akin to this with Microsoft and Windows.

Now it is Apple's turn.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject:

20,000 wrote:
ocho wrote:

Isn't something very similar to this the reason the EU ruled against Google and the Android platform?

Now it is Apple's turn.

What we see there that is different than now?
Everyone forced Microsoft to stop their browser integration even though it was “free of charge”. Apple charges for its stuff, and yet we all knew this was happening ages ago, and yet it’s OK for Apple?

Well cable company owns the lines. Why can’t it control what goes through them like Apple?

Apple has been pulling monopolistic practices since the early days of the iPhone...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
20,000 wrote:
ocho wrote:

Now it is Apple's turn.

What we see there that is different than now?
Everyone forced Microsoft to stop their browser integration even though it was “free of charge”. Apple charges for its stuff, and yet we all knew this was happening ages ago, and yet it’s OK for Apple?

Well cable company owns the lines. Why can’t it control what goes through them like Apple?

Apple has been pulling monopolistic practices since the early days of the iPhone...

Don't like what Microsoft did nor do I particularly like what Apple is doing. However, that is decidedly different than whether they should be considered monopolistic along the lines of a cable company.

Apple owns less than half of the smartphone market share. And in laptops, they only control around 10% of the market. That's not a monopoly.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's lame and they are basically being a bully all while pretending to be all about their customers and doing the right things. But being lame, and being monopolistic, are two different things.

I suppose this depends on the definition of a monopoly, which is often vague and debatable at best.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: