OFFICIAL Lakers 2019 Draft & Draft Prospects Thread (Lakers Pick #4)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Garland is the right choice all these guys like hunter or reddish are guys who can’t shoot or dribble. Garland at worst will be scorer off the bench.

Hunter can’t shoot

Reading is fundamental. Can he handle the ball?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Garland is the right choice all these guys like hunter or reddish are guys who can’t shoot or dribble. Garland at worst will be scorer off the bench.

Hunter can’t shoot

Writing is also fundamental. No but he can shoot. And your post is written like neither guy can do either.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Car54 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Hunter can’t shoot

Writing is also fundamental. No but he can shoot. And your post is written like neither guy can do either.

Ok, ok, I'll break the tie.

Reading is more fundamental. lol
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Car54 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Hunter can’t shoot

Or you don’t comprehend. If I wanted to say they both couldn’t do it (shoot and handle) I would have worded it “They can’t shoot and they can’t handle the rock”
AND
To identify objects that meet all criteria within a set of list
OR
To identify objects that meet at least one criteria within a set of list

Last edited by Car54 on Wed May 22, 2019 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Car54 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Hunter can’t shoot

lol
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Car54 wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Hunter can’t shoot

I've been waiting for the NBA to add spelling and grammar to the Draft Combine. Surely the NBA sees this as a way to dissuade the one and done's.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject:

I love how confident people are every year about a certain prospect. Usually, around this time, LG turns into the Hive mind about a player.

2015 - okafor > Russell lol nobody who supported Russel could get a word in because the okafor supporters took over.

2016 - Simmons > Ingram. This one had more validity. I won’t go into detail but I still feel Ingram was the correct choice. .

2017 - fultz > Lonzo. I remember a few Fox supporters too, but mostly it was believed that fultz was a prospect in his own tier. That wasn’t the case at all and anyone who watched Lonzo completely outclass him in their matchup would have known that.

2018 - garland > anyone else and we haven’t even really seen the guy play yet lol he’s being compared to players like CP3 and Kyrie. Personally I don’t even see what the fuss is about. He’s not even as good as any of our last few draft picks. Not even Randle and he was picked 7th.

This hive mind ish is crazy.

Imo reddish and Bol Bol are better upside prospects than garland. I honestly don’t think he’s better than the HS prospect last year Anfernee somons. I liked him but he went later in the first.

noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
I love how confident people are every year about a certain prospect. Usually, around this time, LG turns into the Hive mind about a player.

2015 - okafor > Russell lol nobody who supported Russel could get a word in because the okafor supporters took over.

2016 - Simmons > Ingram. This one had more validity. I won’t go into detail but I still feel Ingram was the correct choice. .

2017 - fultz > Lonzo. I remember a few Fox supporters too, but mostly it was believed that fultz was a prospect in his own tier. That wasn’t the case at all and anyone who watched Lonzo completely outclass him in their matchup would have known that.

2018 - garland > anyone else and we haven’t even really seen the guy play yet lol he’s being compared to players like CP3 and Kyrie. Personally I don’t even see what the fuss is about. He’s not even as good as any of our last few draft picks. Not even Randle and he was picked 7th.

Imo reddish and Bol Bol are better upside prospects than garland. I honestly don’t think he’s better than the HS prospect last year Anfernee somons. I liked him but he went later in the first.

Bol Bol is a nice prospect, the concern is that foot. As a young dude playing the small amount of games in college vs NBA. Not good to have hoof problems already
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:

You posted this like there’s a lot of strong options out here. He doesn’t have to be better than Randle etc.. he’s most likely the best available at 4. Do you believe reddish will be better than Ingram? Do you believe any of the guys who are available at 4 is better than Ingram?
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject:

I still like Garland.

Last edited by Staccatos on Wed May 22, 2019 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject:

Grammar fights are always the best.

Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject:

Any of these guys Hunter, Reddish, Garland, Culver can be great, good, moderate or bust, that's why the draft is a crap shoot.
Does anybody know if the Lakers are bringing them in for workouts?
Apparently some team either Lakers or Suns have made commitments to Garland.
BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject:

man Garland hype is awful

hes probably the next dennis smith jr, stop with the steph curry, Damian lillard nonsense

steph played 3 years in college
dame played 4 years

Garland is a small guard
played 5 games!! actually played 4.1 games (got hurt in game 5 in 3 minutes)
averaged 2.6 assists! All the games were early season where no one really cares and still only 2.6 assists and only 16 pts

he played against winthrop, alcorn state, usc, liberty for goodness sakes

one of those games he has 3 pts in 28 minutes going 1-6

hunter or culver. Id go with the Virginia kid
you don't waste a top 4 pick on a back up PG
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject:

BlackStarMamba wrote:
steph played 3 years in college
dame played 4 years

Same goes for whoever is getting compared to Jimmy Butler. I think it's Culver.
Butler spent 3 years in college and still needed 2 more years in the league before he turned the corner.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

I know player comps aren't great, but how about these?

Garland: Dame, Kemba
Culver: Joe Johnson with a worse 3 point shot.
Hunter: Artest/Stanley Johnson with a better 3 point shot.

Am I off?
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

You posted this like there’s a lot of strong options out here. He doesn’t have to be better than Randle etc.. he’s most likely the best available at 4. Do you believe reddish will be better than Ingram? Do you believe any of the guys who are available at 4 is better than Ingram?

Reddish? Idk. Garland? Def not.

I’m saying he’s not even in the same conversation as our other prospects. I feel like bol bol and reddish are at least the same caliber of talent and potential.

That’s the issue though. Even though we have super talented prospects, they all needed years to develop (they are still developing). That is the only reason I’m not too interested in this class. We need a player that can come in and be a contributor in the rotation from day 1. The only prospect I see with that potential is hunter and I don’t think he has much upside tbh. He’s a 3& D player in this league.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the pick is traded. If not go for the highest potential

Bol bol and reddish at 4 imo

BlackStarMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Am I off?

Dame - 4 years, Kemba came out as junior played at UCONN

Garland played 5 games
someone could argue well Kyrie only played 8 games. But look. Kyrie was the #2 recruit in class as a PG. and He went to DUKE. Dude was that good.
Garland #15 in class and the #3 PG in his class and went to vanderbilt.

I hope im wrong; but im not hype on Garland at all. Id draft Coby White over him (if i were looking for a PG) since Ja is gone
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject:

BlackStarMamba wrote:

Garland is a small guard
played 5 games!! actually played 4.1 games (got hurt in game 5 in 3 minutes)
averaged 2.6 assists! All the games were early season where no one really cares and still only 2.6 assists and only 16 pts

I'm not disagreeing with your point about cooling hype/expectations of a very young player who played a small amount of games...

Just want to point he's not awful... and the way you quote stats is very misleading.

Kawhi scored 12 points, had 1.4 STLs, 0.7 BLKs his first year in college... look how that turned out.
matrixskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject:

from my perspective, our biggest needs are SG and C. we have lonzo at PG with kidd to groom him, LBJ at SF obviously and Kuzma as stretch PF.

culver and hunter are the ideal choices since there are no good centers in the top 5 (bol bol is too big a risk and hayes will likely go 10 or later). hunter is more NBA ready but culver has the potential to be a great player. lonzo is NOT a SG and picking another PG to try pairing with him is a big mistake IMO.

"I GOT WHEATIES!"
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject:

matrixskillz wrote:
from my perspective, our biggest needs are SG and C. we have lonzo at PG with kidd to groom him, LBJ at SF obviously and Kuzma as stretch PF.

culver and hunter are the ideal choices since there are no good centers in the top 5 (bol bol is too big a risk and hayes will likely go 10 or later). hunter is more NBA ready but culver has the potential to be a great player. lonzo is NOT a SG and picking another PG to try pairing with him is a big mistake IMO.

Why isn't Lonzo a "SG?" I'm not wedded to traditional positions. Assume we get Garland (or even Kyrie/Kemba via FA), Lonzo would be slotted as a "SG" but defend the other team's best guard threat every night.

I usually define a player (crudely) by the position they mostly defend.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Car54 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Reddish? Idk. Garland? Def not.

I’m saying he’s not even in the same conversation as our other prospects. I feel like bol bol and reddish are at least the same caliber of talent and potential.

That’s the issue though. Even though we have super talented prospects, they all needed years to develop (they are still developing). That is the only reason I’m not too interested in this class. We need a player that can come in and be a contributor in the rotation from day 1. The only prospect I see with that potential is hunter and I don’t think he has much upside tbh. He’s a 3& D player in this league.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the pick is traded. If not go for the highest potential

Bol bol and reddish at 4 imo

Get the duck outta here. Cam ain’t close to being the prospect Ingram was. What exactly is he good at? Garland is good at scoring and handling the ball. All you can do is talk about Reddish potential.
matrixskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:

Why isn't Lonzo a "SG?" I'm not wedded to traditional positions. Assume we get Garland (or even Kyrie/Kemba via FA), Lonzo would be slotted as a "SG" but defend the other team's best guard threat every night.

he doesn't "shoot" well? lonzo's biggest asset is his playmaking, and garland's small stature will be a liability given lonzo isn't yet strong enough to handle the larger 2's in the league.

"I GOT WHEATIES!"
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject:

matrixskillz wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:

he doesn't "shoot" well? lonzo's biggest asset is his playmaking, and garland's small stature will be a liability given lonzo isn't yet strong enough to handle the larger 2's in the league.

Lonzo is bigger and stronger than most 2s in the league
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Am I off?

I don't see Garland as a Lillard/Kemba level athlete around the rim. He certainly has enough vertical pop and touch to be an effective finisher at the rim, but I don't see Garland putting the same downhill pressure on defenses as those two (and Kemba's only recently got his 3-ball going). Garland tends to go east-west rather than north-south, which could be a comfort thing that could be coached out of him or it might be a sign of a half-step slow first step. I'd actually compare Garland more to a young Steph Curry stylistically, but obviously the comparison ends there.

Culver will likely be a better defender than Johnson. Offensively there's definitely some overlap and remember that Johnson wasn't a knock-down 3pt shooter his first few seasons in the league.

Artest was a wrecking ball team defender along with being an intimidating man defender. Hunter is much more conservative and akin to Klay Thompson as a smart, unambitious team defender who shines defending on-the-ball. Offensively? Stanley Johnson with a reliable 3pt jumper is probably accurate.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
matrixskillz wrote:

Lonzo is bigger and stronger than most 2s in the league

Lonzo is fine guarding 2s, even most 3s.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 46 of 49
Jump to: