Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 68, 69, 70  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
^^^it is all very enlightening to see the differences. Honestly, I knew Florida was 18, but i was just glad WV was 18. Was kind of worried it may be lower than other states giving fuel to the stereotypes

If only he'd taken her to Nigeria (11) he would have been ok.

https://www.ageofconsent.net/world

Quote:
What is the Nigeria Age of Consent?

The Age of Consent in Nigeria is 11 years old. The age of consent is the minimum age at which an individual is considered legally old enough to consent to participation in sexual activity. Individuals aged 10 or younger in Nigeria are not legally able to consent to sexual activity, and such activity may result in prosecution for statutory rape or the equivalent local law.

Nigeria statutory rape law is violated when an individual has consensual sexual contact with a person under age 11.

And yet the national immigrant group with the highest average income in America is the Nigerians.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
^^^it is all very enlightening to see the differences. Honestly, I knew Florida was 18, but i was just glad WV was 18. Was kind of worried it may be lower than other states giving fuel to the stereotypes

Quote:

The Age of Consent in Nigeria is 11 years old. The age of consent is the minimum age at which an individual is considered legally old enough to consent to participation in sexual activity. Individuals aged 10 or younger in Nigeria are not legally able to consent to sexual activity, and such activity may result in prosecution for statutory rape or the equivalent local law.

Nigeria statutory rape law is violated when an individual has consensual sexual contact with a person under age 11.

And yet the national immigrant group with the highest average income in America is the Nigerians.

And yet, the Venezuelan immigrant Francisco Velasquez has an even higher average income than the Nigerians in America.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

And yet, the Venezuelan immigrant Francisco Velasquez has an even higher average income than the Nigerians in America.

I think we have completely unraveled this thread. Do we get a medal? Or at least some kind of certificate?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

I think we have completely unraveled this thread. Do we get a medal? Or at least some kind of certificate?

Everyone was talking about Francisco Velasquez and the age of consent around the world.

You introduced the aspect of average income into the topic/conversation.

Not really sure of the connection/relevance between age of consent and average income...

But welcome to the conversation anyways.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject:

It had completely devolved into where the various legal ages of consent in the world which can be a touchy subject on this board. Just providing some levity and little known facts.

Anyhow time for a workout. Have fun.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Anyhow time for a workout. Have fun.

Cool. Thanks for the update on your daily schedule in the mlb thread.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

Francisco Lindor landing spots: Four teams that could be interested in a blockbuster trade this winter

Quote:
1. Los Angeles Dodgers
2. Cincinnati Reds
3. Atlanta Braves
4. Arizona Diamondbacks

LINK
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject:

Rosenthal at The Athletic says the Reds are in on Wheeler:

Link (subscription required)

Quotes from article...

Quote:
One agent predicts the Reds will pivot sharply to the free-agent right-hander after losing out on catcher Yasmani Grandal, who agreed Thursday to a four-year, $73 million contract with the White Sox. A rival general manager, without referring to Wheeler specifically, says of the Reds, “I will be shocked if they don’t spend big.”

Quote:
The Reds could sign Wheeler and trade another starter. But simply adding to their strength also would make sense.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject:

MLB announces an “All-MLB” team

Quote:
We have All-Stars and Gold Gloves and Silver Sluggers and stuff, but we’ve never had an “All-MLB” team, a-la the NFL’s “All-Pro” team. Until now that is.

Major League Baseball announced today that it is launching an official “All-MLB Team,” recognizing the top performances by players in the 2019 regular season. The inaugural All-MLB choices will be announced on Tuesday, December 10 during the Baseball Winter Meetings in San Diego.

LINK
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
MLB announces an “All-MLB” team

Quote:
We have All-Stars and Gold Gloves and Silver Sluggers and stuff, but we’ve never had an “All-MLB” team, a-la the NFL’s “All-Pro” team. Until now that is.

Major League Baseball announced today that it is launching an official “All-MLB Team,” recognizing the top performances by players in the 2019 regular season. The inaugural All-MLB choices will be announced on Tuesday, December 10 during the Baseball Winter Meetings in San Diego.

LINK

I like it.

My prediction:

RF - Bellinger
CF - Trout
LF - Yelich
3B - Rendon or Bregman or Matt Chapman
SS - Marcus Siemen
2B - Keltel Marte
1B - Pete Alonso
C - Mitch Garver or JT Realmuto
DH - JD Martinez or Yordan Alvarez or Nelson Cruz
SP - Cole or Verlander
RP - Not sure

Well, looks like there's 5 starting pitchers and 2 relief pitchers.

Quote:
Similar to the All-NBA teams, the All-MLB team honors are not separated by league, so both American League and National League players are vying for the same spots. There will be a first team and a second team, each with single spots for:

-all four infield positions,
-catcher and
-designated hitter,
-three spots for outfielders,
-five spots for starting pitchers and
-two spots for relief pitchers.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject:

^^^no consideration for Nolan Arenado @ 3B?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject:

I would have Arenado at 3B. He's the platinum glove award-winner in the NL, meaning he is considered to be the best defensive player in the entire league, regardless of position. Yes, he's a Rockie, but he's slightly better than Rendon on both sides of the ball, much better than Bregman defensively, and definitely a better hitter than Chapman (the platinum glove award-winner in the AL).
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I would have Arenado at 3B. He's the platinum glove award-winner in the NL, meaning he is considered to be the best defensive player in the entire league, regardless of position. Yes, he's a Rockie, but he's slightly better than Rendon on both sides of the ball, much better than Bregman defensively, and definitely a better hitter than Chapman (the platinum glove award-winner in the AL).

dude has a crazy good glove....feels like he steals 2-3 hits a game. Doubt that is accurate, but it seems that way over a 4 game series.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

dude has a crazy good glove....feels like he steals 2-3 hits a game. Doubt that is accurate, but it seems that way over a 4 game series.

My guess is this award will closely follow the MVP voting. I couldn't see a guy finishing lower in MVP and then higher in All MLB.

So Arenado over Rendon in All MLB but lower in MVP voting would be inconsistent.

I couldn't see any player in the legit conversation for MVP but not make All MLB.

Both Rendon and Bregman were right there in the MVP race. I couldn't see them losing out to Arenado.

I think one is 1st team and the other is 2nd team.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

My guess is this award will closely follow the MVP voting. I couldn't see a guy finishing lower in MVP and then higher in All MLB.

So Arenado over Rendon in All MLB but lower in MVP voting would be inconsistent.

I couldn't see any player in the legit conversation for MVP but not make All MLB.

Both Rendon and Bregman were right there in the MVP race. I couldn't see them losing out to Arenado.

maybe, unless it is accepted that the MVP award is mostly about offense on a contender.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

maybe, unless it is accepted that the MVP award is mostly about offense on a contender.

Well we have All NBA and All Pro for the NFL that we can use for examples.

And I can't think of any top 3 MVP candidates that were left off of those teams.

U?

Also, Trout won the MVP this year on a team that finished (72-90)

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Yes, he's a Rockie, but he's slightly better than Rendon on both sides of the ball

Did he have a better year than Rendon offensively?

Rendon
545 AB
34 HR
126 RBI
.319 AVG
.412 OBP
.598 SLG
1.010 OPS
6.3 WAR

Arenado
588 AB
41 HR
118 RBI
.315 AVG
.379 OBP
.583 SLG
.962 OPS
5.7 WAR
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

And I can't think of any top 3 MVP candidates that were left off of those teams.

U?

I am not saying you are wrong...just providing an option. Trout is a good point, but he definitely is the outlier. Personally, if I could have one on my team, there is no doubt I take Arenado.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

U?

I am not saying you are wrong...just providing an option. Trout is a good point, but he definitely is the outlier. Personally, if I could have one on my team, there is no doubt I take Arenado.

Of course. I just feel pretty strongly on this one. And it's not my opinion of who should be on the team.

It's my prediction of who they will vote for and I just think that the MVP awards and the All-NBA/MLB/NFL teams really align with one another.

Right now the MVP is basically a WAR award. And I think All MLB is also going to be based on WAR as well.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject:

^^^I lean towards your logic being correct.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I didn't realize how high Rendon's OBP and SLG were this season. I think Arenado's the better player but maybe Rendon had the better year. Also, who is voting on this?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Yeah, I didn't realize how high Rendon's OBP and SLG were this season. I think Arenado's the better player but maybe Rendon had the better year. Also, who is voting on this?

Good question

Quote:
Enter the All-MLB Team -- baseball’s first-of-its-kind foray into a star squad that covers the full breadth of the Major League season and does not separate players by league.

The selection process for the 2019 All-MLB Team presented by Scotts is underway and runs through 5 p.m. ET on Dec. 3, with 50% of the vote coming from fans and 50% coming from a panel of experts.

You can vote right here, and may do so once every 24 hours between now and when voting ends next Tuesday. The inaugural All-MLB Team will be announced on Dec. 10 at baseball’s annual Winter Meetings in San Diego.

There will be a first team and second team All-MLB, and voters are asked only to consider performance during the regular season when casting their ballots. Each team will include one selection at each position (including designated hitter and three outfielders, regardless of specific outfield position), five starting pitchers and two relievers. In order to include as many deserving candidates as is necessary in a given year, there will be no set number of nominees per position.

• Team-by-team breakdown of All-MLB nominees

For the 2019 team, there are 60 position player candidates (eight first basemen, six second basemen, eight shortstops, 11 third basemen, seven catchers, five DHs, and 15 outfielders) and 30 pitcher candidates (19 starters, 11 relievers).

The Astros lead all teams with 10 candidates (1B Yuli Gurriel, 2B Jose Altuve, 3B Alex Bregman, OFs Michael Brantley and George Springer, DH Yordan Alvarez, SPs Gerrit Cole, Zack Greinke and Justin Verlander, and RP Roberto Osuna). The Red Sox are next, with seven (SS Xander Bogaerts, 3B Rafael Devers, C Christian Vazquez, OF Mookie Betts, DH J.D. Martinez, SP Eduardo Rodriguez, RP Brandon Workman), while the Twins have six (SS Jorge Polanco, C Mitch Garver, OFs Max Kepler and Eddie Rosario, DH Nelson Cruz, RP Taylor Rogers). The Braves, Nationals, Yankees, Indians and Dodgers each have five nominees.

The All-MLB format leads to some difficult decisions when AL and NL players are vying for the same recognition. For instance, whereas Silver Sluggers and MVP finalists Bregman (1.015 OPS) and Anthony Rendon (1.010) would both be worthy choices at third base in their respective leagues, here they are directly pitted against each other. It’s Astros vs. Nationals all over again. And let’s not forget about Nolan Arenado, whose offensive game stacks up with both of them and might be the best defender of the three.

Some other fierce debates could include J.T. Realmuto vs. Yasmani Grandal at catcher or Pete Alonso vs. Freddie Freeman at first base or Marcus Semien vs. Bogaerts at short, just to name a few. We can assume the two Cy Young winners, Verlander and Jacob deGrom, along with oh-so-close second-place finisher Cole, will fare well in the starting realm. But who will round out the All-MLB “starting five”? And because ERA and save totals don’t always tell the whole story of relief work, which numbers will prove to carry the most weight as voters choose how to close out the All-MLB squad?

https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-all-mlb-team-inaugural-vote

Yeah, so I change my answer. If fans are involved then it's going to be unpredictable.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject:

That's so dumb [to have fan voting]. Isn't that the point of the all star game? By having fans involved in this award it makes it far less important IMO.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
That's so dumb [to have fan voting]. Isn't that the point of the all star game? By having fans involved in this award it makes it far less important IMO.

Makes it outright meaningless, for me.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Makes it outright meaningless, for me.

It's just more marketing fluff to sell sponsorships. You know, the Safeco All MLB team brought to you by Home Depot, Popeyes Chicken, and Home Alone 7, the Awakening.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 41 of 70
Jump to: