2019 Major League Baseball Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Why can't we go into hypotheticals here? Because you say? There are plenty of videos out there with whistling purportedly signalling pitches. I also don't know why you clipped my post unless you don't want to discuss why MLB is slow playing this.

I clipped your post because I didn't care about your opinion of Manfred. I quoted the part I was responding to.

You can go into hypotheticals all you want. Duh. The hypotheticals have nothing to do with what the Astros were actually doing. According to the report, the Astros actually experimented with video room decoding and whistling, but it didn't work very well. I've explained in prior posts why this is true. The Astros cranked it up to 11 with the video screen next to the dugout and the trash can.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
nickuku wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
nickuku wrote:
Wore a houston asterisks shirt to the gym today. Pretty much got universal approval from everyone there. I've never seen sports fans agree so much on something(outside of houston fans).

It's nuts dude, there are fans of 29 other teams and since this is an LA Lakers site, probably more Dodgers fans than anything but you wouldn't know it from this goofy thread- Two butthurt Lastro's fans defending and defending and defending for like, the last 25 pages (look it up, it's NUTS).
I live in LA and for goofballs that don't live here- LA has people from your hometown-FACT.
People come from everywhere to be employed in the entertainment industry on some level- the ones I know that are from Houston have accepted defeat- it's only the asshats that live in their houston bubble that think this will somehow blow over...

Yup. You'd have to be an ass at this point to defend them in any way.

But it will blow over.

No it won't but I'm not surprised you trying to downplay everything.

Do you think that my team didn’t play the Astros? Spring training games will start, then the regular season and this will be back page news. That is the cyclical nature of news.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
nickuku wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
nickuku wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
nickuku wrote:
Wore a houston asterisks shirt to the gym today. Pretty much got universal approval from everyone there. I've never seen sports fans agree so much on something(outside of houston fans).

It's nuts dude, there are fans of 29 other teams and since this is an LA Lakers site, probably more Dodgers fans than anything but you wouldn't know it from this goofy thread- Two butthurt Lastro's fans defending and defending and defending for like, the last 25 pages (look it up, it's NUTS).
I live in LA and for goofballs that don't live here- LA has people from your hometown-FACT.
People come from everywhere to be employed in the entertainment industry on some level- the ones I know that are from Houston have accepted defeat- it's only the asshats that live in their houston bubble that think this will somehow blow over...

But it will blow over.

Do you think that my team didn’t play the Astros? Spring training games will start, then the regular season and this will be back page news. That is the cyclical nature of news.

Nah, I, personally, don't think so.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, every time these guys go into a visiting ballpark, the fans will let them have it.

Then when they visit the Yankees, it'll be nuts.

Dodger fans will drive out whenever they visit Anaheim

And then whoever represents them in the AS star will, no doubt, have to answer questions because they'll be at Dodger Stadium for the first time.

So, while I agree it'll quiet down here and there, it'll always get sparked back up as the year goes on as I just don't see the fans letting this go.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
nickuku wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
nickuku wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
nickuku wrote:

But it will blow over.

As long as more facts keep coming to light this will remain in the cycle.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:50 pm    Post subject:

More and more momentum to strip the * title.

Either way, hard to see much pride in that one now for *stro fan.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
MLB was told about the Astros’ system years ago and did nothing

Jonathan Lucroy plays for the Red Sox now. Yesterday he talked to the Boston media about his time in Oakland. Specifically, he talked about how, when he played there, he and the rest of the A’s learned about the specifics of the Astros’ sign-stealing scheme from teammate Mike Fiers, who was traded to Oakland in August of that season.

Here’s what Lucroy said about what went down when he heard about Fiers going public in November:

“When I saw it, I read it and I’m like, ‘Oh boy, here we go. And people are calling me and I’m like, ‘Look, I’ve known about that for two years.’ Guys who were playing against them . . . I would text people and say, ‘Just so you know, this is what is going on.’ It got around baseball pretty quick.”

And it wasn’t just player-to-player chatter. The Oakland Athletics as a club reported it:

According to Lucroy, the Athletics informed Major League Baseball about their experience with the Astros, but no investigation was started until Fiers went on the record with The Athletic in November.

Athletics general manager David Forst confirmed to The Mercury News last week that Oakland complained to the league well before MLB’s investigation commenced.

That investigation did not commence until The Athletic ran its story in November. And Rob Manfred has still not given a satisfying explanation as to why that was. About why, when told about the Astros’ sign-stealing from an actual club, presumably with pretty dang specific information given that it was coming from Fiers, they did not act.

The only conclusion one can reach on that based on what we currently know is that Major League Baseball will only truly act once bad press forces them to, and the A’s reporting the sign-stealing scheme was not something that was reported in the press. Which is pretty sad.

Anyway, you should read Lucroy’s expanded comments on all of this. In them he goes on at length about how he and the pitchers he worked with would have to go crazy to try to change and hide their signs from the Astros and how much of a distraction it was. Which is to say that, in addition to the obvious way the Astros gained an advantage — knowing what pitch was coming — they disadvantaged the opposition by making them work extra hard to deal with the threat of their cheating.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70
Page 70 of 70
Jump to: