Car question BMW M3(2015 model)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Car question BMW M3(2015 model)

My friend is leasing an M3 and today she took it in for a service. She said the mechanic told her the brakes are done and that the axles need to be replaced and quoted her 3000? This immediately raised some red flags but I'm not a car guy. Is this normal?

Car has about 40k miles.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject:

never heard of needing new axles for brakes

replacing brake pads is a common service at that mileage depending on the driving style but nowhere near $3000

Even if the rotors are warped and need to be resurfaced or replaced it shouldn't be near $3000 unless the M3 has some fancy carbon ceramic brakes or something like that

Was this from a dealer or an independent mechanic?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

replacing brake pads is a common service at that mileage depending on the driving style but nowhere near $3000

Even if the rotors are warped and need to be resurfaced or replaced it shouldn't be near $3000 unless the M3 has some fancy carbon ceramic brakes or something like that

independent mechanic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
22 wrote:

independent mechanic

Oh shoot heck no. Unless it's someone they trust I would def take it a BMW dealer. Especially for a newer model performance car like an M3.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Car question BMW M3(2015 model)

nickuku wrote:
My friend is leasing an M3 and today she took it in for a service. She said the mechanic told her the brakes are done and that the axles need to be replaced and quoted her 3000? This immediately raised some red flags but I'm not a car guy. Is this normal?

Car has about 40k miles.

No offense, but sadly I think women get played when going in for estimates. It's happened to my wife and sister and now I never let them go alone because of that. I'd go for a second opinion and perhaps even go with her.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Car question BMW M3(2015 model)

Mamba Mentality wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Car has about 40k miles.

No offense, but sadly I think women get played when going in for estimates. It's happened to my wife and sister and now I never let them go alone because of that. I'd go for a second opinion and perhaps even go with her.

This.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Thanks guys you pretty much confirmed my suspicions. She didn't take any action yet so I'm recommending her to a family friend instead.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject:

No prob man
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Nice, good stuff
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject:

How is a 2015 BMW with 40,000 miles out of warranty?

The factory warranty was 4 year 50,000 miles, whichever comes 1st.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

Hasn’t it been 4 years since some of 2014 and 2015?
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Might be over 50k ill try to get the exact number but if shes not doing it at the dealership im assuming its out warranty
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Thanks guys you pretty much confirmed my suspicions. She didn't take any action yet so I'm recommending her to a family friend instead.

Go to Funfzehn in Orange.

I'd also leave a bad review for that shop on Yelp.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

yeah, this part sounds weird to me....unless she has been entering local baja races
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Car question BMW M3(2015 model)

Mamba Mentality wrote:
No offense, but sadly I think women get played when going in for estimates.

it is true....a couple months ago, my ex wife called in a minor panic asking if I could drive her to work. She had a deflating tire (nail or screw) and went to the tire shop, and they told her it would be about an hour before they could get to her.....and it was too late for her to reschedule her patients for the day. So I pick her up, and she is telling me that the guy said a nail was in her tire and located in a place he could not patch. She told the guy the expense was unexpected, and what was the cheapest option to fix now. His solution was 4 new tires....and the "cheapest" he had for a 2017 Kia Cadenza was a set of Michelin's that cost her $905!

The car had a little over 20K miles on it....."if" and that is a big "if" he could not patch the tire, the best option to keep the car riding fine would have been to simply replace 2 tires! Also, I have never been to a tire shop where a $900 set of Michelin's was the cheapest option for a mid sized sedan! The kicker was they charged her tire disposal fees on 3 tires with 20K miles on them and were likely rated around 50K miles.....so I am sure they got disposed out the back door to a buddy.

I wanted to go back and let the guy have it.....but we do not really get into each others business. I went back to the shop, and they had already put the tires on, and they were high quality tires....so I did not have any real argument to make except he took advantage of someone that did not know better.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject:

^ Guys, it’s not women that get played. It’s people that don’t know their elbow from their anus when it comes to cars. They can smell it a mile away, whether you’re a male or a female or something in between.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Car question BMW M3(2015 model)

nickuku wrote:

Car has about 40k miles.

I recommend checking out Coast Motor Werk. Solid independent bmw mechanic. They have 2-3 locations in the OC area
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Car question BMW M3(2015 model)

22 wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Car has about 40k miles.

This.

Happens to my sister too.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Car question BMW M3(2015 model)

adkindo wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
No offense, but sadly I think women get played when going in for estimates.

it is true....a couple months ago, my ex wife called in a minor panic asking if I could drive her to work. She had a deflating tire (nail or screw) and went to the tire shop, and they told her it would be about an hour before they could get to her.....and it was too late for her to reschedule her patients for the day. So I pick her up, and she is telling me that the guy said a nail was in her tire and located in a place he could not patch. She told the guy the expense was unexpected, and what was the cheapest option to fix now. His solution was 4 new tires....and the "cheapest" he had for a 2017 Kia Cadenza was a set of Michelin's that cost her $905!

The car had a little over 20K miles on it....."if" and that is a big "if" he could not patch the tire, the best option to keep the car riding fine would have been to simply replace 2 tires! Also, I have never been to a tire shop where a $900 set of Michelin's was the cheapest option for a mid sized sedan! The kicker was they charged her tire disposal fees on 3 tires with 20K miles on them and were likely rated around 50K miles.....so I am sure they got disposed out the back door to a buddy.

I wanted to go back and let the guy have it.....but we do not really get into each others business. I went back to the shop, and they had already put the tires on, and they were high quality tires....so I did not have any real argument to make except he took advantage of someone that did not know better.

Wow that’s (bleeping) wack!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

Yeah.

(bleep) I had 2018 in my head for some reason.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

I was going to say...yeah, see if it's still under warranty. It's four years from the end of the month of the inservice date, which she should be able to find out pretty easily.

But I agree with everyone who says to try a different mechanic if it's out of warranty. Nickuku, if your friend happens to be in South OC, hit me up and I'll refer to my BMW mechanic.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Car question BMW M3(2015 model)

YSong wrote:
I recommend checking out Coast Motor Werk. Solid independent bmw mechanic. They have 2-3 locations in the OC area

RSM location closed, though....
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

I was going to say...yeah, see if it's still under warranty. It's four years from the end of the month of the inservice date, which she should be able to find out pretty easily.

But I agree with everyone who says to try a different mechanic if it's out of warranty. Nickuku, if your friend happens to be in South OC, hit me up and I'll refer to my BMW mechanic.

Yes that sounds great! We're in south OC, Irvine to be specific. Will dm you.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Car question BMW M3(2015 model)

LarryCoon wrote:
YSong wrote:

RSM location closed, though....

Guess not enough business. There’s one in Irvine and the original in HB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: