Car question BMW M3(2015 model)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject:

the only reason it would need new axles this early would be if the previous owner launched it from literally every stop light.

also, if the vehicle is being leased wouldn't there be an existing service contract?
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
the only reason it would need new axles this early would be if the previous owner launched it from literally every stop light.

also, if the vehicle is being leased wouldn't there be an existing service contract?

I spoke today again to her and she said when she went to pick it up another mechanic was there and he told her to get her tires(they run flat - not sure what he means) from somewhere cheap and get them put on somewhere and not to worry about the brakes. I'm guessing there's some honest people out there after all.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:

I spoke today again to her and she said when she went to pick it up another mechanic was there and he told her to get her tires(they run flat - not sure what he means) from somewhere cheap and get them put on somewhere and not to worry about the brakes. I'm guessing there's some honest people out there after all.

At least the run-flat tires part is legit.

Run flat tires are a little stiffer sidewall and are bad for interior noise, but essentially if there's a nail in the tire, they're good for up to 30-50 miles up to 55mph. Limits are different per tire brand and model, so verify that.

The point is to have a drivable car to replace the tire.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:

So she did or didn't get the work done?

If she's looking for a fast, cheap place in South OC, Tucker Tire off Crown Valley & the 5 is the way to go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
nickuku wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:

So she did or didn't get the work done?

If she's looking for a fast, cheap place in South OC, Tucker Tire off Crown Valley & the 5 is the way to go.

Not the brake stuff. Apparently the guy telling her that yesterday was some sales guy. When she picked it up another guy who said she is a mechanic said not to worry about the brakes and to just get the run flat tires because her tires basically completely worn out which makes sense because her car is around 5 years old. Also her warranty ran out 3 weeks ago. She's pretty upset they didn't notify her that the warranty was expiring. Sorry for the confusion I'm getting this information from her and shes really uninformed about these things.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

I'm going with her on Saturday as a walk-in customer. Will let you know how it goes!
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

I'm going with her on Saturday as a walk-in customer. Will let you know how it goes!

You should like them -- they'll get you in & out quickly. Their prices are great -- for my X3, replacing Pirelli P-Zero run-flats about four months ago was $1,000 out the door. BMW wanted $1,600 (plus tax) for the same tires.

Even a good mail-order place like TireRack.com was $264/each ($1,056 for four) with free shipping, and then you gotta pay someone to put em on your car.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Why is she running RunFlats on an M3? That's not the stock tire. And by the sounds of it, she's not the type that's going to be changing a tire on the side of the road, so it's going to be a tow anyway. Why accept the decreased performance and excess noise of a runflat when she could have a quieter and better performing tire for cheaper?

For $596 Delivered, she could have a set of Falken Azenis

For $868 Delivered, she could have a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports

In her stock tires sizes of: Front: P255/40R18, rear: P275/40R18

Both tires will give better performance, sound and ride quality.

Tires are mailed directly to the installer of her choice, then add $60 for the mount and balance.

SimpleTire
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Why is she running RunFlats on an M3? That's not the stock tire. And by the sounds of it, she's not the type that's going to be changing a tire on the side of the road, so it's going to be a tow anyway. Why accept the decreased performance and excess noise of a runflat when she could have a quieter and better performing tire for cheaper?

For $596 Delivered, she could have a set of Falken Azenis

In her stock tires sizes of: Front: P255/40R18, rear: P275/40R18

Both tires will give better performance, sound and ride quality.

Tires are mailed directly to the installer of her choice, then add $60 for the mount and balance.

SimpleTire

I used a similar site (tirebuyer.com) to get some nice Falken Wildpeak AT/3s for my truck. Local tire installer said no one can beat their prices.

I was very happy with the price and process
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I used a similar site (tirebuyer.com) to get some nice Falken Wildpeak AT/3s for my truck. Local tire installer said no one can beat their prices.

Just doing a quick comparison on mine, with the four (three Internet and one local) mentioned. This is for Pirelli P-Zero 245/50 R18 Run-Flats. Prices are for sets of four:

SimpleTire.com: $1,159.88
TireBuyer.com: $1,055.96
TireRack.com: $1,056.00

Looks like all have free shipping; I'm not sure about tax; and you have to pay an installer. The local shop I mentioned, Tucker Tire in Laguna Niguel was $1,000 which included tax and installation. Only variable is today's prices on the website vs. about four months ago when I had my tires replaced by Tucker.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
22 wrote:

Just doing a quick comparison on mine, with the four (three Internet and one local) mentioned. This is for Pirelli P-Zero 245/50 R18 Run-Flats. Prices are for sets of four:

Looks like all have free shipping; I'm not sure about tax; and you have to pay an installer. The local shop I mentioned, Tucker Tire in Laguna Niguel was $1,000 which included tax and installation. Only variable is today's prices on the website vs. about four months ago when I had my tires replaced by Tucker.

Dang you got a good deal LC because installation is typically another $45-60
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Why is she running RunFlats on an M3? That's not the stock tire.

I had Run Flats on my last BMW and HATED them, they are a harsh ride and don't corner worth a damn.

On the BWM Forums most of the people who dumped their Ride Flats went with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and so did I, they were about $900+ installed at America's Tires.

They were awesome tires and still had a ton of thread, when I sold the car last year...

Last edited by unleasHell on Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject:

When I don't go to Tirerack and find an installer, I go to Onlinetires.com.

2015 BMW M3

Michelin Pilot Super Sports:
Front: 255/40-18
SUMMER MAX PERFORMANCE
PILOT SUPER SPORT
$122.41each

Rear: 275/40-18
SUMMER MAX PERFORMANCE
PILOT SUPER SPORT
$275.99each

Pirelli P-Zero
Front: 255/35-19
SUMMER MAX PERFORMANCE
P-ZERO
$201.58each

Rear: 275/35-19
SUMMER MAX PERFORMANCE
P-ZERO
$268.50each

https://www.onlinetires.com/user/vehicle/tires/allbrands.html

It's possible the website changed, but I used to just pick up the tires and ignore Shipping and Handling altogether.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
22 wrote:

That include the TPMS?
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject:

No, but unless they're failing, replacing the TPMS isn't needed with a tire change. Just have to do a reset once it's done.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
No, but unless they're failing, replacing the TPMS isn't needed with a tire change. Just have to do a reset once it's done.

Yeah. I go to a dirt cheap installer that does a mount/balance/reset for 4 tires for $40 bucks. Discount Tires tried to stick with me a TPMS fee.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Yeah. I go to a dirt cheap installer that does a mount/balance/reset for 4 tires for $40 bucks. Discount Tires tried to stick with me a TPMS fee.

Yeah, After much searching, I finally found a Used Tire shop that gives me the same deal. 4 tires for $40. My R230's overly complicated traction control and braking systems literally eats tires. I can barely get 15,000 miles out of a set, so he see's me twice a year and I told him up front he'd lock me in as a frequent return customer if he hooked me up with a good price. So I always buy my tires online and have them sent directly to his shop. He throws in a $25 alignment every 2nd set, so I couldn't be happier.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: