Google Stadia (Google's New Gaming Platform)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Google Stadia (Google's New Gaming Platform)

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1108095846703341569

I am HIGHLY skeptical this will work as advertised. BUT if it does count me in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Google Stadia (Google's New Gaming Platform)

RIP quality AAA games
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Google Stadia (Google's New Gaming Platform)

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
RIP quality AAA games

Gonna be nothing but fortnites from here on out HLtN
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Google Stadia (Google's New Gaming Platform)

22 wrote:
RIP quality AAA games

yep
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Google Stadia (Google's New Gaming Platform)

22 wrote:
RIP quality AAA games

yep
Nope.

The battle royale thing will die out some and end up carving out a nice niche. it may be awhile but thats whats going to happen. eventually the kids will get tired of it or the kids will get older and start playing other types of games and the new kids may want something different. happens every generation.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Google Stadia (Google's New Gaming Platform)

RIP quality AAA games
Nope. if this works as advertised the quality of all games can go way up including AAA games.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Google Stadia (Google's New Gaming Platform)

splashmtn wrote:
RIP quality AAA games
Nope. if this works as advertised the quality of all games can go way up including AAA games.

You ever played a good shooter with 100ms latency between every action? lol
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject:

This could be huge
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Google Stadia (Google's New Gaming Platform)

DuncanIdaho wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
RIP quality AAA games

Do you know what the current online lag is from game to game, system to system , person to person?

How many times have you been shot up knowing good and well you shot first on a shooter thanks to lag? and it probably isnt your lag, its probably theirs.

The truth is this. to playing online and to do so with minimal lag. you need to have a solid connection. if you dont, do not expect to play a solid onlin game. thats the way it is right now. so that should not change with stadia.

so lets not even talk about peopl with bad connections. You should then be able to choose the people you are willing to connect to. i know this means locking out those with bad connections. again ...so... it is..what it is. they do not have a connection good enough to play a solid game. dont ruin my experience forcing me to play any and everyone with any kind of bad connection.
So now having a choice on who you play based on connection will get rid of that severe lag.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/03/19/how-googles-stadia-controller-eliminates-some-input-lag/
Quote:
But Google did pack some interesting tech into the controller. And one of its most impressive capabilities could help reduce the lag of streaming a game over the internet.

A Wi-Fi gamepad
Traditionally, you would want to connect a controller directly to your Xbox One, PlayStation 4, or PC. But that would introduce a number of barriers between you and the game with Stadia. You don’t want the controller connecting to the app and then to the game. And that’s not how Google built this device.

Instead, the Stadia Controller uses Wi-Fi to connect directly to the game in the cloud. This bypasses a lot of the potential hurdles that could cause input lag.
You may still get visual latency — we haven’t tested Stadia yet. But a direct-connect Wi-Fi controller should go a long way toward making games feel snappy and responsive.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject:

I havent watched this yet.

https://wccftech.com/google-stadia-latency-artefacts/

Google Stadia AC Odyssey Input Lag Measured by Digital Foundry
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject:

Agree with splashmtn on this. This technology eliminates a point in the chain. Fewer "moving parts" if you will.

However, I'm pretty sure the first generation of this technology, as with anything new, won't be as smooth sailing as some people expect.

I think it might be a slightly better version of what online multiplayer was like when it first came out. Sometimes a decent experience, sometimes not, and sometimes downright awful, but, you could SEE the vision and the potential.

But if you really think about it -- does this really change anything from the POV of the average user in terms of the actual gaming experience? The only thing it changes is the need to purchase hardware and download software. Other than that, your actual gaming experience isn't elevated in any way from a performance perspective (but sounds like from an interactive perspective).
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Agree with splashmtn on this. This technology eliminates a point in the chain. Fewer "moving parts" if you will.

However, I'm pretty sure the first generation of this technology, as with anything new, won't be as smooth sailing as some people expect.

I think it might be a slightly better version of what online multiplayer was like when it first came out. Sometimes a decent experience, sometimes not, and sometimes downright awful, but, you could SEE the vision and the potential.

But if you really think about it -- does this really change anything from the POV of the average user in terms of the actual gaming experience? The only thing it changes is the need to purchase hardware and download software. Other than that, your actual gaming experience isn't elevated in any way from a performance perspective (but sounds like from an interactive perspective).

well lets say they can get this streaming part down nicely to the point where its as good as a console gamers multiplayer experience.

That would also mean now you can actually have devs make use of all that power they could utilize when creating games.
For an extreme instance. How large could a GTA 6 Map become if all of that info is pulling from google data centers and not from a handful of rockstar servers and not from my consoles downloaded game or disc?

We're talking a world sized GTA possibly. Since the devs have access to all of this ram and scalable processing power. it also means the NPC's walking around can be a lot more life like.

If all we do now is stream, no console/pc necessary. then that means our console/pc is as large as the data centers scalability. No more bragging about the rig you built. because no rig you build will ever match google servers and 100's of processors and ram, etc.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

well lets say they can get this streaming part down nicely to the point where its as good as a console gamers multiplayer experience.

That would also mean now you can actually have devs make use of all that power they could utilize when creating games.
For an extreme instance. How large could a GTA 6 Map become if all of that info is pulling from google data centers and not from a handful of rockstar servers and not from my consoles downloaded game or disc?

We're talking a world sized GTA possibly. Since the devs have access to all of this ram and scalable processing power. it also means the NPC's walking around can be a lot more life like.

If all we do now is stream, no console/pc necessary. then that means our console/pc is as large as the data centers scalability. No more bragging about the rig you built. because no rig you build will ever match google servers and 100's of processors and ram, etc.

Over the long term, you're right. I should have said that I meant from day 1 though. Like, if you got Stadia right now, even in a best case scenario, your gaming experience isn't vastly different outside of the new controller ergonomics and maybe some of the interactive features in terms of integration with social media, etc.

Even in some of the testing videos I've seen, the big aha is that you could not tell a difference between Stadia and playing "locally".

So I think people will be sort of meh from day 1, because it's not like seeing HD for the first time. But as you point out, as the technology improves, and the software (the games themselves) figure out how to leverage the hardware capabilities, this could be something. Maybe it won't even come from Google in the same way that the Sega Dreamcast was the first console to offer online multiplayer. But they are laying the groundwork for sure.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject:

It also means a death to single player game modding (good luck having anything like Skyrim be anything but trash without mods), owning your own software, being able to play without an internet connection, etc, etc, etc. It's a terrible idea and I hope it goes nowhere.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Google Stadia (Google's New Gaming Platform)

splashmtn wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
RIP quality AAA games

Do you know what the current online lag is from game to game, system to system , person to person?

How many times have you been shot up knowing good and well you shot first on a shooter thanks to lag? and it probably isnt your lag, its probably theirs.

The truth is this. to playing online and to do so with minimal lag. you need to have a solid connection. if you dont, do not expect to play a solid onlin game. thats the way it is right now. so that should not change with stadia.

so lets not even talk about peopl with bad connections. You should then be able to choose the people you are willing to connect to. i know this means locking out those with bad connections. again ...so... it is..what it is. they do not have a connection good enough to play a solid game. dont ruin my experience forcing me to play any and everyone with any kind of bad connection.
So now having a choice on who you play based on connection will get rid of that severe lag.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/03/19/how-googles-stadia-controller-eliminates-some-input-lag/
Quote:
But Google did pack some interesting tech into the controller. And one of its most impressive capabilities could help reduce the lag of streaming a game over the internet.

A Wi-Fi gamepad
Traditionally, you would want to connect a controller directly to your Xbox One, PlayStation 4, or PC. But that would introduce a number of barriers between you and the game with Stadia. You don’t want the controller connecting to the app and then to the game. And that’s not how Google built this device.

Instead, the Stadia Controller uses Wi-Fi to connect directly to the game in the cloud. This bypasses a lot of the potential hurdles that could cause input lag.
You may still get visual latency — we haven’t tested Stadia yet. But a direct-connect Wi-Fi controller should go a long way toward making games feel snappy and responsive.

So because someone has a bad connection now everyone has to have a bad connection. Got it.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
It also means a death to single player game modding (good luck having anything like Skyrim be anything but trash without mods), owning your own software, being able to play without an internet connection, etc, etc, etc. It's a terrible idea and I hope it goes nowhere.

yup
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
sorry old school, gotta move with the times. and i'm a old schooler. but I still no when times up. time to get up and move.

people still want disc, still want to "FEEL" the game in their hands.

You may not need all those mods if the devs have access to that much power and they wont have to dumb the game down to play on a console. since you and I will be streaming it from the same powerful computer(s) they created it on.

that could actually cut down on some development time since they wouldnt have to go back thru to dumb the game down to match lesser standards than what they built the game on. a lot of things get taken out of the games and get let on that chopping block because they know they have to bring the quality down to match the lowest spec PC or Console they are shooting for. this would not be the case with a streaming setup like this.

and this idea that you can no longer play as a single player. not true.

What if i were to tell you, that I create an online game where all of the npcs are no longer npcs. they are actually human controlled? But what if you never knew that. you just assumed they are npcs. the bosses could be human controlled as well while you think they are cpu controlled.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:

What if i were to tell you, that I create an online game where all of the npcs are no longer npcs. they are actually human controlled? But what if you never knew that. you just assumed they are npcs. the bosses could be human controlled as well while you think they are cpu controlled.

What bollocks are you talking now, POSTANDPIVOT? That's called a multiplayer game.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Google Stadia (Google's New Gaming Platform)

DuncanIdaho wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
RIP quality AAA games

Quote:

A Wi-Fi gamepad

So because someone has a bad connection now everyone has to have a bad connection. Got it.
umm where did you come to that conclusion? lol.

No. its the same way it is right now. if you play someone with a crappy connection, no matter how good your connection is, it will be a lag fest. due to the other guys/gals lag.

They need to allow you to set filters where you only link up to people with a good ping/connection speed. yes this will stop some people from playing others. oh well. I dont want to race cars when I have an exotic and you have a commuter. where your car slows down my car. let the slow connects play with the slow connects, and the good to best play with one another. this will make for a much better experience for at least the good to best guys. the lag people always experience lag so their lives wont change much.

they use to do this in some games, where they would show you the players ping. I wouldnt touch anyone with that red ping. lol. and i would ask people what color was mine.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:

What bollocks are you talking now, POSTANDPIVOT? That's called a multiplayer game.
lol i know it is. and who's postand.... never mind.

but if they never told you it was, you wouldnt know it was. I would like to you single player lovers. "oh yeah we have great single player experiences. " and would surely have humans dropping into your games without your knowledge. what ya going to do? sue us? lol.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
sorry old school, gotta move with the times. and i'm a old schooler. but I still no when times up. time to get up and move.

You may not need all those mods if the devs have access to that much power and they wont have to dumb the game down to play on a console. since you and I will be streaming it from the same powerful computer(s) they created it on.

that could actually cut down on some development time since they wouldnt have to go back thru to dumb the game down to match lesser standards than what they built the game on. a lot of things get taken out of the games and get let on that chopping block because they know they have to bring the quality down to match the lowest spec PC or Console they are shooting for. this would not be the case with a streaming setup like this.

Who said anything about consoles? I've been a PC gamer since the early 90's. I still play single player games and mod the hell out of them regularly.

You're also dead wrong about why things get cut or half-assed on AAA games, and it's not because of consoles, but that's another discussion.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Google Stadia (Google's New Gaming Platform)

splashmtn wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
umm where did you come to that conclusion? lol.

No. its the same way it is right now. if you play someone with a crappy connection, no matter how good your connection is, it will be a lag fest. due to the other guys/gals lag.

They need to allow you to set filters where you only link up to people with a good ping/connection speed. yes this will stop some people from playing others. oh well. I dont want to race cars when I have an exotic and you have a commuter. where your car slows down my car. let the slow connects play with the slow connects, and the good to best play with one another. this will make for a much better experience for at least the good to best guys. the lag people always experience lag so their lives wont change much.

they use to do this in some games, where they would show you the players ping. I wouldnt touch anyone with that red ping. lol. and i would ask people what color was mine.

They already do that right now. If your ping is bad or over a certain number, you get dropped from the server, depending on who's running the server and what they've set the threshold to. At least for the games I play.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Never in my wildest dreams did I think this thread would turn into a PnP special haha. Did not know he was a gamer lol
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject:

You know how this could've been successful? If they actually decided to build out Google Fiber........
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Who said anything about consoles? I've been a PC gamer since the early 90's. I still play single player games and mod the hell out of them regularly.

You're also dead wrong about why things get cut or half-assed on AAA games, and it's not because of consoles, but that's another discussion.
lol you missed my point. i didnt say thats why they get cut.

i said when they develop these games. they develop them on workstations (higher end computers) than most users have. they have to then go back and DUMB down the programming/ram usage, etc to match whatever they deem to be the lowest PC/CONSOLE SPEC. assuming the best situation. this google thing will never need to do that. since we're just streaming the game. the game should work as it did when developed on that super high powered workstation or google data center.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: