NBA Insiders believe Star Free Agents will follow PG13's Lead and Ignore Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Embiid wrote:
trablos wrote:
Great One wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
Kawhi and Butler are the only dark horse candidates I see us signing.

"Leonard could make as much as $190 million deal by committing to five more years with the Raptors next season, but would only garner $141 million over a four-year deal with any other team as a free agent, shaving $70 million in potential earnings."

https://clutchpoints.com/raptors-news-kawhi-leonard-loses-chance-at-super-max-what-toronto-can-offer-him/

I think our pick is going to Toronto in a sign and trade.......

Eh, he could have got the supermax with the Spurs. Like AD, I don't think money is his top priority.

It's one thing leaving supermax and taking 70m less. It's another thing loosing 140m in space of a year which he would do by leaving the Raptors.Which ever team trades for AD will resign him as they will get his bird rights. He's not throwing away that sort of money. Yet to see anyone do this but its always threatened. I expect Kawhi to resign in toronto too.

The math is all wrong here. The $70 million refers to the supermax, but that option is gone. Also people are considering that the salary he would get with the supermax or from Toronto is over 5 years, while other teams could only sign him for 4 years. But he won't lose that 5th year salary.

If he signs with Toronto, he could get $190 million for FIVE years. Other teams can offer him $141 million for FOUR years. So assuming he plays well and doesn't get hurt, the salary he gets will pretty much erase the difference.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Embiid wrote:
trablos wrote:
Great One wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:

"Leonard could make as much as $190 million deal by committing to five more years with the Raptors next season, but would only garner $141 million over a four-year deal with any other team as a free agent, shaving $70 million in potential earnings."

https://clutchpoints.com/raptors-news-kawhi-leonard-loses-chance-at-super-max-what-toronto-can-offer-him/

Eh, he could have got the supermax with the Spurs. Like AD, I don't think money is his top priority.

It's one thing leaving supermax and taking 70m less. It's another thing loosing 140m in space of a year which he would do by leaving the Raptors.Which ever team trades for AD will resign him as they will get his bird rights. He's not throwing away that sort of money. Yet to see anyone do this but its always threatened. I expect Kawhi to resign in toronto too.

The math is all wrong here. The $70 million refers to the supermax, but that option is gone. Also people are considering that the salary he would get with the supermax or from Toronto is over 5 years, while other teams could only sign him for 4 years. But he won't lose that 5th year salary.

If he signs with Toronto, he could get $190 million for FIVE years. Other teams can offer him $141 million for FOUR years. So assuming he plays well and doesn't get hurt, the salary he gets will pretty much erase the difference.

exactly. i dont understand why people always talk about this like they are "giving up" 50 mill or whatever. its one year less! the only difference is the risk of injury preventing a new contract, otherwise the totals per year end up close enough.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Embiid wrote:
trablos wrote:
Great One wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:

exactly. i dont understand why people always talk about this like they are "giving up" 50 mill or whatever. its one year less! the only difference is the risk of injury preventing a new contract, otherwise the totals per year end up close enough.

Well injuries are a huge factor and not something you can just ignore or treat as a throw away. 50 million extra locked up for certain... That's a pretty tough thing to throw away, unless you have a very good reason to.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:49 am    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:
So that means Magic will be stepping down then, he said he would if he couldn't deliver

After taking every opportunity she could to remind people she was holding Jim to his deadline... I have a hard time believing she would do the same to Magic.
ForumBlueFrank
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject:

George is a bonafide (bleep). I have no doubt he's telling Leonard to think twice about leaving Toronto for LA. Sounds like he's still butthurt he got booed. Mind your own business Paulina.

"Paul George Says Free-Agency Discussion with Kawhi Leonard Is 'Between Us'"
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2827334-paul-george-says-free-agency-discussion-with-kawhi-leonard-is-between-us
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject:

PG is a huge puss. I mean the guy oozes beta personality. Theres a reason why this guy got hooked to a stripper and now its his wife
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject:

NBA Insiders PRAYING Star Free Agents will follow PG13's Lead and Ignore Lakers.

...............FIXED
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
lakurluv wrote:
As a High School Varsity Basketball coach, I've noticed one recurring theme within most of the players that I come across; this theme holds true from their Freshman-Senior Year.
Amidst all of their gifts, talents, physical and skill-wise, there is a mental part of the game, that most of them can't seem to grasp.
It's not the part that allows them to Swagger onto the court, poking their chest out with their shoulders back, and giving mean scowls to their opponents as that slam the ball thunderously through the hoop...

Its this same mental-flaw that travels with them all throughout their college years, even until the NBA. They may be a lottery pick in the draft and go on to break NBA records...
But when you look back at their career, Middle-School, High School, College and NBA. The reason why these players were only great and never the "Greatest" or even considered among the great!

Its simply because the part of their game that is lacking and always lacked and was never developed, is that part that simply "Can't handle the Pressure".
In LA There's a tremendous amount of pressure to perform, compete and win! Only few players have proven to be on the Lakers and embrace this level of intense mental badgering. Its not for the slight at heart!

For all of shots thrown at LBJ for falling way short in his first year as a Laker, the truth is... HE CAN HANDLE IT!
The reason PG13 didn't come and other FAs probably won't come, its not because of LBJ, but its because they can't handle the PRESSURE!!!
Only a top five player could come to this team and not be concerned, or someone who has that mindset to be top five. When we don't get free agents, I don't even trip anymore, because I know... Since they picked up a ball, they may have been good, but were never able to handle real pressure!

That's my blog for the day! LOL

That's a tongue-in-cheek way to insulate oneself from the pain of these last few seasons. It doesn't work for me.

Many seriously great teams were built starting with a single great player or even two guys who didn't represent an obstacle to management attracting additional talent to the club. That's part of the difficulty omitted in your theory which suggest it's fear of "pressure to win" that is the obstacle to free agents here.

It's not.

The problem here is the talent, top to bottom, office, bench and court. The appearance is that the organization - top to bottom - is a big mess. Top free agents won't be coming here until there is at least some indicator that someone around the club knows what they're doing. It's not pressure itself to win or pressure to turn around the club's fortunes that keeps FA talent at bay; it's the image of such long odds of success after signing here. People seek better opportunities rather than worse ones. We're one of the worst.

I can definitely agree with that part about the Organization as well and truth be told, we haven't had a solid Front Office since we lost West.

But I still believe at the end of the day certain expectations are placed on certain players and their agents who represent them, fully know and understand the significance in their expectations, performance and outcome!

It's more of a business now than it has ever been, all about "Your Brand". Yeah PG-13 Is playing at an extremely high-level and I'm sure he would have done the same here, but imagine if we would have had him on the team and "NOT" make the playoffs. What would that have done for his brand. That coupled with Zion busting out a pair of his sneaks would have equated to a total rebuild!

Sure lose in the playoffs or don't make the playoffs in a smaller market = less pressure.
Lose or don't make the playoffs in a larger market, like LA-LAKERS = You're Done!

FO plays a big role, but at the end of the day a truly great player who's use to and can handle the pressure of it all will say... "Hey I'll go there and make things better" and won't turn face to anything less.

It's a culmination of things which is true, I'd love to see the FO get a better handle on things. We tried to put a make-shift team around LBJ for the sake of saving $$$, it didn't work. Let's see what happens in the off season and draft. We'll know from there and it won't take long.

I believe Magic has a good business acumen, now rather that translates to NBA and being the President of Basketball Operations, is yet to be seen; so far he has a lot of work to do!
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject:

In addition to these guys potentially not signing with the Lakers, they can potentially not sign with 28 other teams. Imagine how devastating that will be, potentially, to those other 28 teams!
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject:

AirTupac wrote:
PG is a huge puss. I mean the guy oozes beta personality. Theres a reason why this guy got hooked to a stripper and now its his wife
This is a great thread imo. A lot of good venting about this generation (bleep) NBA players.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
AirTupac wrote:
This is a great thread imo. A lot of good venting about this generation (bleep) NBA players.

its an interesting criticism. the truth is he is probably the best player in the league right now. beta or alpha.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
scoobs wrote:
AirTupac wrote:

its an interesting criticism. the truth is he is probably the best player in the league right now. beta or alpha.

Did Harden, Giannis, Durant, and Curry all die? Paul George has been bad since he's come back.
MustardJam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject:

We will see this summer. Lakers really screwed up the PG situation but it isn't a sign of anything. Anthony Davis seems to want to play in LA. If Lakers can't get an elite star this summer than it is true and proof that this organization is in the absolute (bleep) hole.

However, I also find the butthurt in this thread quite funny. LA isn't that appealing right now. You have Lebron who is known for drama and the Lakers who have the worst record over the last six seasons, incapable management from the looks of it, have drama themselves, and etc. You come to LA knowing if you win Lebron will get the credit and you will probably get the blame if you lose. Yeah, I doubt LA is going to be appealing to most guys. Again, we will see and maybe Magic is really good at selling but if they completely strike out I wouldn't be shocked.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject:

MustardJam wrote:
We will see this summer. Lakers really screwed up the PG situation but it isn't a sign of anything. Anthony Davis seems to want to play in LA. If Lakers can't get an elite star this summer than it is true and proof that this organization is in the absolute (bleep) hole.

However, I also find the butthurt in this thread quite funny. LA isn't that appealing right now. You have Lebron who is known for drama and the Lakers who have the worst record over the last six seasons, incapable management from the looks of it, have drama themselves, and etc. You come to LA knowing if you win Lebron will get the credit and you will probably get the blame if you lose. Yeah, I doubt LA is going to be appealing to most guys. Again, we will see and maybe Magic is really good at selling but if they completely strike out I wouldn't be shocked.

He's the one who wanted to join the Lakers and made a big deal of it. But then he doesn't even want to meet with the Lakers b/c he's crestfallen for WB/OKC?
awntawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject:

PG passed on the Lakers for the same reason people are shoo-ing in free agents to the Knicks and the Clippers. The reality is that the whole "free agents teaming up" thing is hard. Guys make decisions for themselves and for their families, and they can't rely on another guy. No free agent wants to take a leap of faith and be the first guy to sign on a team with no stars.

Remember that time Baron Davis decided to join Elton Brand on the Clippers, only to have Elton Brand bolt for the Sixers?

This is all just (bleep) on Lakers narrative being perpetuated through the media. The truth is that none of the free agents know what they're going to do yet. Everyone's happy with their team until they're eliminated from the playoffs.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject:

awntawn wrote:
PG passed on the Lakers for the same reason people are shoo-ing in free agents to the Knicks and the Clippers. The reality is that the whole "free agents teaming up" thing is hard. Guys make decisions for themselves and for their families, and they can't rely on another guy. No free agent wants to take a leap of faith and be the first guy to sign on a team with no stars.

Remember that time Baron Davis decided to join Elton Brand on the Clippers, only to have Elton Brand bolt for the Sixers?

This is all just (bleep) on Lakers narrative being perpetuated through the media. The truth is that none of the free agents know what they're going to do yet. Everyone's happy with their team until they're eliminated from the playoffs.

exactly
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject:

I feel it’s funny that the Lakers get crapped on the same way that Trump does .... media bias isn’t hilarious
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
What for? Ignore the Lakers, why? Seems like an 8th graders way of handling free agency

Because we are a poopshow?

I would totally get it if someone didn’t want to come here at this point.

Purposely boycotting the Lakers is not the same as hearing them out and choosing not to come. The implication is that players would just ignore the franchise which is hard to believe.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
NBA Insiders PRAYING Star Free Agents will follow PG13's Lead and Ignore Lakers.

...............FIXED

agreed
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
What for? Ignore the Lakers, why? Seems like an 8th graders way of handling free agency

Because we are a poopshow?

I would totally get it if someone didn’t want to come here at this point.

Purposely boycotting the Lakers is not the same as hearing them out and choosing not to come. The implication is that players would just ignore the franchise which is hard to believe.

And for all the talk about Paul George not giving Magic even a sit down during Free Agency, well, he also didn't give any other team a sit down. So ignored every other team too. And those other teams also failed to land AD and Kawhi in a trade this season. Everyone failed at doing all these things, not just the Lakers.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Good. Outside of LeBron, it's been a bad idea anyway.

This

pio2u wrote:

...............FIXED

We're not a threat.

They're praying we don't get a competent FO and continue to take 1 step forward and 3 steps back so they can fleece us of our talent because they know the FO is obsessed with this "Second max will make us finals contenders again" noise.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject:

This is pretty funny. We're going to get the second star...whether it be Kyrie, Butler, Kemba etc...it's going to happen.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject:

To me, a 'bridesmaid' team is a team that is talented enough just to make the playoffs, but has no chance of winning a NBA championship. There are a few of these teams in the West that, every season, make the playoffs, and then get eliminated.

Some players are content with just playing well, and not winning any rings. Players find these "bridesmaid" teams and just sit back, pad their stats and make their money. PG is a prime example. The Oklahoma Thunder will never win a NBA finals in the career track of PG or Westbrook. They are just not talented enough. In the West, teams like the Clippers, Blazers, and Oklahoma are bridesmaids teams that will always make the playoffs, and never reach the NBA finals. A lot of NBA players are perfectly content playinf ro these types of teams.

We here in Lakerland are not bridesmaids. For us, it's Finals or failure. And players know this. And there's a ton of pressure that goes along with that. So, to play for the LA Lakers requires a special mindset, a thick skin and a persona that most NBA players, including stars like PG, just don't have.

I'm not concerned if PG is telling KL not to come to LA, because if KL either is 100% committed to winning big, or he's not. There's no grey area. If ANY NBA star balks at playing for the Lakers, it's because they don't have the personality to play here.

Weakness is weakness; it doesn't matter what is whispered in the ears of weak players. You think players like Kobe Bryant, who was a finals freak, would let another player talk him out of playing for the Lakers?

The cream rises to the top. Whatever superstar comes to the Lakers will have what it takes to be here. Those that don't, like Paula George, are the beta players that bridesmaid teams love to have.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
For us, it's Finals or failure.

I get this, but this mindset is also a problem. In today's NBA, given the new salary cap rules, it's harder to just get to the Finals from a position of failure (which we are in right now). It has to be incremental and the best teams right now have shown that by creating a culture that has staying power. I posted the thread noting that LBJ/KL have played about the same number of games this year.

The huge difference? Toronto has a lasting culture that might not be a Finals/fail mindset, but they are always in the hunt even if their best player is out with injury.

Lakers need to build that kind of foundation.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject:

I think there is very likely a great reluctance among free agents right now to want to consider coming here at all - but for the money - are we are willing to overpay talent to maintain cap position (e.g., KCP.) Coming here means for their voice to become subsumed in the large muddled chorus behind LeBron's voice. It's not a pretty future.

Until The Magic and Pelinka Show can portray the club differently than it looks right now, we'll have trouble getting a top free agent on board. If they could hire a coach and convince the public they've rehabbed LeBron into a more cooperative spirit, there's a chance guys along the line of Kemba and Middleton would come here, rather than elsewhere for a better experience and better opportunity to win.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: