Fan breakdown on why we traded Zubac
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Fan breakdown on why we traded Zubac

https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/b3l1x1/understanding_the_zubac_trade/

Might help lessen the sting around here.
Jbar805
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject:

No. This was a stupid move. Wagner is basically the equivalent to Muscala. If it was just to shed cap, it shows how incompetent Magic is.

This season has made us look pathetic. I hope Magic's arrogant arse knows that.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject:

read the last line next time

Quote:
Edit: I guess we can't trade the exception in combination with other players, so I am back to confused as to why we would make this trade. Sorry for getting your hopes up guys, but at least the rightmost column is still useful? =(
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject:

Good catch 2019

Cow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
read the last line next time

Quote:
Edit: I guess we can't trade the exception in combination with other players, so I am back to confused as to why we would make this trade. Sorry for getting your hopes up guys, but at least the rightmost column is still useful? =(

Shoot, I clicked the link too fast. Lol
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Almost all exceptions are surrendered (vaporized) in return for cap space. So once the election is made to get the cap space to sign a major free agent, the TPE is gone.

26. How do exceptions count against the cap? Does being under the cap always mean that a team has room to sign free agents? Do teams ever lose their exceptions?

Quote:

If a team is below the cap, then its Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level (either the Taxpayer or Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level, whichever applies to the team) and/or trade exceptions are added to their team salary, and the league treats the team as though they are over the cap1. This is to prevent a loophole, in a manner similar to free agent amounts (see question number 37). A team can't act like it's under the cap and sign free agents using cap room, and then use its Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or trade exceptions. Consequently, the exceptions are added to the team salary (putting the team over the cap) if the team is under the cap and adding the exceptions puts them over the cap. If a team is already over the cap, then the exceptions are not added to their team salary. There would be no point in doing so, since there is no cap room for signing free agents.

So being under the cap does not necessarily mean a team has room to sign free agents. For example, assume the cap is $100 million, and a team has $90 million committed to salaries. It also has a Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception for $9 million and a trade exception for $6 million. Even though its salaries put it $10 million under the cap, its exceptions also count toward team salary, increasing the total to $105 million, or $5 million over the cap. So the team actually has no cap room to sign free agents, and instead must use its exceptions to sign players.

A team has the option to renounce its exceptions in order to reclaim its cap room. So in the example above, if the team renounced its Traded Player and Mid-Level exceptions, then the $15 million is taken off its team salary, which then totals $90 million, leaving the team with $10 million of cap room which then can be used to sign free agent(s).

It appears that the straight rookie salary scale was used for the cap holds of the first round picks rather than the 120% per the CBA.

13. Exactly what is included when computing total team salaries? What is cap room? What is a cap hold?

Quote:

A cap hold for 120% of the "scale" amount for the team's unsigned first round draft pick(s) (see question number 50). This amount begins to apply to team salary immediately upon selection in the draft4. This amount can be excluded from the team salary for the current season if, before the season starts, the team and player agree in writing that the team will not sign the player during that season.

Sign the first round pick to a contract and then use his salary as part of the outgoing package after a wait of 30 days.

101. When can't a player be traded? Can players be given "no-trade" clauses in their contracts?

Quote:

For 30 days after signing as a draft pick. This applies even for later-signed first round picks, who are signed using cap room at least three seasons after they are drafted (see question number 49).
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Glad to see this quickly circled back to Magic doesn't know what he's doing. lol
tony
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject:

This is what should have been in OP or in the reddit link:

(bleep) MIKE MUSCALA, TRASH ASS MF
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Ain't nothing to breakdown about this abysmal trade. Magic signs Muscala and says' "We back back baby!" And Pelinka sits back and tells a story about how Muscala reminds him of himself when he was younger.

Who would have thought I'd miss Mitch.
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject:

My breakdown on why we traded Zubac:

Because we're (bleep) stupid.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan87 wrote:

We have a winner! Concise, and painfully accurate.
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Magic is the “mike muscala” of running teams
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject:

The fact this fan had to backtrack on his original statement after trying to play devil's advocate just shows how bad trade is in actuality.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:41 am    Post subject:

LakerFan87 wrote:

This.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject:

LakerFan87 wrote:

How about it was a cheap way to start the tank.
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject:

We traded Zubac because we did not envision him as the center of the future, which is debatable. And, because we didn't want his cap hold at the end of the year, we let him go. Should we have gotten more than Muscala? Yeah I think so, but you weren't going to get a 1st rd pick for a guy who is going to be a free agent...
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject:

As difficult as it may be to do, and to buy into, I honestly think Magic and Pelinka have a game-plan about everything they do. These guys see the Lakers daily, they know what's happening with other league players, they get those tipoffs and hints that happen without the average fan knowing nothing about. So to us, trading Zu makes no damn sense. I get that. But to the Laker front office, I suspect they know something we don't. For example, maybe trading Zubac was a signal to D. Cousin's people that he has a place here on the Lakers. And with McGee as a backup, that's not such a horrible combination.

Easy to make Magic Johnson the whipping boy in all things bad, but I refuse to do that, if for no other reason, I have too much respect for him as a player and a businessman. I also recognize the eye-test I employ as a fan is severely limited in scope, and thus accuracy.

So I'm going to trust this process, be patient, and wait for things to materilize this off season, as the 2-year plan was originally designated to do.
MustardJam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
As difficult as it may be to do, and to buy into, I honestly think Magic and Pelinka have a game-plan about everything they do. These guys see the Lakers daily, they know what's happening with other league players, they get those tipoffs and hints that happen without the average fan knowing nothing about. So to us, trading Zu makes no damn sense. I get that. But to the Laker front office, I suspect they know something we don't. For example, maybe trading Zubac was a signal to D. Cousin's people that he has a place here on the Lakers. And with McGee as a backup, that's not such a horrible combination.

Easy to make Magic Johnson the whipping boy in all things bad, but I refuse to do that, if for no other reason, I have too much respect for him as a player and a businessman. I also recognize the eye-test I employ as a fan is severely limited in scope, and thus accuracy.

So I'm going to trust this process, be patient, and wait for things to materilize this off season, as the 2-year plan was originally designated to do.

So one reason they might have gotten rid of him is to sign (bleep) Cousins? Lebron can't play with bigs already so the move is to sign a big coming off a brutal injury who also has a history of being a locker room cancer?

No, it's not that the FO has some great insider info. It's that they're (bleep) idiots.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

LakerFan87 wrote:

Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
LakerFan87 wrote:

lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

Why trade away a good player for a chance at signing another good player? Make absolutely zero sense. All these cap bs is just that. Cap bs. The Knicks and the Lakers are gonna be smiling with their capspace all the way to the bank after striking out on all top tier FA's.

Why would a free agent want to sign with you if you've made the team worse with stupid moves like trading Zubac for Crapsala? If I'm KD or Kawhi, the Clippers would be my obvious first destination. Like it or not, it is fact. I'd rather be brutally honest about the stupidity of our FO than to sit here next year again wondering why PG13 didn't even grant us an interview. I'd rather we be proactive and make the changes in the FO right now.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:

Magic doesn’t see these guys daily, he rarely sets foot in El Segundo. And if trading Zubac was a signal to Cousins, these guys are in over their heads much more than expected.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Why trade away a good player for a chance at signing another good player? Make absolutely zero sense. All these cap bs is just that. Cap bs. The Knicks and the Lakers are gonna be smiling with their capspace all the way to the bank after striking out on all top tier FA's.

Why would a free agent want to sign with you if you've made the team worse with stupid moves like trading Zubac for Crapsala? If I'm KD or Kawhi, the Clippers would be my obvious first destination. Like it or not, it is fact. I'd rather be brutally honest about the stupidity of our FO than to sit here next year again wondering why PG13 didn't even grant us an interview. I'd rather we be proactive and make the changes in the FO right now.

I disagree. You are all making Zubac into some supersized symbol of your overall frustrations. Zubac was a serviceable center, not the projected all-star you all think he was.

And what the hell have the Clippers been doing? Tobias Harris - GONE. CP3 - GONE. Blake Griffin - GONE. Eric Gordon - GONE. DeAndre Jordon - GONE.

And yet, it's the Lakers who are to be avoided because we got rid of all our "good players"...like Zubac.

Take the emotions out, calm down, and think rationally. If KD or KL go the Clippers, it's to escape undue, unjust, and downright foolish criticism from spoiled Laker fans.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Take the emotions out, calm down, and think rationally.

I think this is what people are doing. He has 1.9m cap hold. Why get rid of him right now?
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
troy wrote:

Magic doesn’t see these guys daily, he rarely sets foot in El Segundo. And if trading Zubac was a signal to Cousins, these guys are in over their heads much more than expected.

Are you suggesting you have better insight regarding NBA players and the Laker roster than the President of Basketball operations of the LA Lakers? With all due respect, I'll trust Magic and Palinka's knowledge over the average fan's any day of the week.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: