D’angelo Russell opens up about his time with Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
levon wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
levon wrote:

If 20 shots to get 21 points and 6 careless turnovers is the big middle finger, I'd hate to see his little middle finger. DLo is just how I remember him.

No doubt, and how you will always remember him. Bias is real, critical thinking need not apply. But great job of working your ass off in this thread to squelch any positive comments regarding DLO.

Dude with 130k posts of contrarian negativity talking about me working hard to put someone down?

The kid had slight improvements across the board and was a replacement all-star in the lowly East. I'm telling it like it is. The nominal "all-star" crap is overhyping a player with a low ceiling, which is what I saw from him when he was on the Lakers too, while still being upset we let him go. He almost chucked away and turned-over his way to a loss against the tanking Lakers. Until he starts to care about driving, getting fouls, and finishing through contact, he's a high volume PnR spammer.

lol Talking about someone being a contrarian when every fact from box score stats, to advanced stats, to talking head and current players' comments being in opposition to what you're arguing. That's rich.

Explain to me how all of those sources are in opposition to what I'm saying, preferably without being coy.

This thread's been a lesson in projecting narratives onto posters without trying one's best to understand that poster's perspective, and appreciating the subtlety of it. I'm not saying my communication is perfect, but all of these tribal dialectics distract from basketball talk and that's why Ive refrained from posting here for a while.

You're right though, everything is bad, we're doomed, D'Angelo is really going to stick it to us!
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Fox really stuck it to us tonight too, for drafting Lonzo over him.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
Fox really stuck it to us tonight too, for drafting Lonzo over him.

KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject:

There are positives and negatives to any PG. Lonzo has the best defensive impact out of any PG in the league. Comparing him to Russell is apples and oranges. Lonzo is more of the Jason Kidd mold, while Russell is closer to Damian Lillard. It's about team needs and composition. Lonzo, IMO, will be a good fit for the team long term. Just don't surround him with non-shooters like Rondo, Beasley, Lance...

He'll need to prove he's not injury prone, though. I hate how all these young players are getting injured today. It's like they are made of glass or something.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
There are positives and negatives to any PG. Lonzo has the best defensive impact out of any PG in the league. Comparing him to Russell is apples and oranges. Lonzo is more of the Jason Kidd mold, while Russell is closer to Damian Lillard. It's about team needs and composition. Lonzo, IMO, will be a good fit for the team long term. Just don't surround him with non-shooters like Rondo, Beasley, Lance...

He'll need to prove he's not injury prone, though. I hate how all these young players are getting injured today. It's like they are made of glass or something.

With all the modern knowledge and tools, yeah it's interesting.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Their bodies are not fully developed but they are working as if they are. Running faster, jumping higher, etc at a younger age and playing sooooo much basketball (one sport) its a lot of early wear and tear on underdeveloped body parts/muscles. There's a reason why M.Thompson always talks about how he would not let his sons play just one sport. too much wear and tear on the same muscles and what not. all this AAU stuff. i wonder what the average amt of games played by the time a kid hits 20 if he's a top prospect vs say some guy from the early 90's. it's probably night and day. I'm sick of seeing all these young guys with knee braces already. not talking about for show but actual knee issues. you shouldnt have a bunch of kids with braces on this early on. some? sure. not this many.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Their bodies are not fully developed but they are working as if they are. Running faster, jumping higher, etc at a younger age and playing sooooo much basketball (one sport) its a lot of early wear and tear on underdeveloped body parts/muscles. There's a reason why M.Thompson always talks about how he would not let his sons play just one sport. too much wear and tear on the same muscles and what not. all this AAU stuff. i wonder what the average amt of games played by the time a kid hits 20 if he's a top prospect vs say some guy from the early 90's. it's probably night and day. I'm sick of seeing all these young guys with knee braces already. not talking about for show but actual knee issues. you shouldnt have a bunch of kids with braces on this early on. some? sure. not this many.

Good point.
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo Ball isn't like JKIDD at all....
RealSkipBayless
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Kobesystem wrote:

He would probably put up identical numbers to him if he got the keys to the offense and didn’t have LeStatpad monopolizing time of possession.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject:

RealSkipBayless wrote:
Kobesystem wrote:

He would probably put up identical numbers to him if he got the keys to the offense and didn’t have LeStatpad monopolizing time of possession.

I agree. Lonzo, like JKidd, has the ability to rally the troops. Guys will play with him and for him. Mr. CheckMy$tats...I'm telling y'all the streets are talking, and they are not being kind to BronBron.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

It's concerning, isn't it? Josh Hart just turned 24 and he's having chronic knee issues. Wear and tear is a factor, but kids tend to heal faster than adults. They are like wolverine when it comes to recovery. I think the issue could be the factors that impede recovery time. Inflammation is certainly one variable they need to look at. Diet, sports drinks (now being linked to heart disease), medications are an issue IMO. In my case, a course of antibiotics messed my body up and wounds wouldn't heal the same way. Today, they hand it out for everything under the sun, even for colds.
MustardJam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject:

I actually rather have Ball long term.

Russell is good but he simply isn't a championship caliber player in my opinion. He can't be the first option on a championship team nor do I think he is 2nd option material. I'd say Ball has a higher chance of winning a ring. The key in the modern NBA is to make everyone around you better. Curry does it by creating spacing like no one in history, Giannis does it by being a magnet and drawing everyone in and then using his vision, Lebron does it the same way, and some guys (like Kobe for example) do it by simply being examples of beasts in mindset.

Russell doesn't really fit that mold. Ball is a great defender and also has great vision and looks to create scoring opportunities (not just pile up assists which is a big difference). So i don't really miss Russell all that much.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject:

MustardJam wrote:
I actually rather have Ball long term.

Russell is good but he simply isn't a championship caliber player in my opinion. He can't be the first option on a championship team nor do I think he is 2nd option material. I'd say Ball has a higher chance of winning a ring. The key in the modern NBA is to make everyone around you better. Curry does it by creating spacing like no one in history, Giannis does it by being a magnet and drawing everyone in and then using his vision, Lebron does it the same way, and some guys (like Kobe for example) do it by simply being examples of beasts in mindset.

Russell doesn't really fit that mold. Ball is a great defender and also has great vision and looks to create scoring opportunities (not just pile up assists which is a big difference). So i don't really miss Russell all that much.

Ball doesn't belong anywhere near the words "long term" until he shows he can stay on the court. That alone puts him at a big disdavantage vs most young guards.

I also wouldn't say Ball's chances of winning championship are any higher either. Nevermind the difficulty of putting a championship team in the first place, pass first guards who can defend but not shoot aren't exactly a crucial component in building such a team.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject:

DLo would never be the player he is if he stayed with the Lakers

Guy was an immature clown and that’s why he got traded

Move on
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:

Move on

Drink the Kool aid.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
YSong wrote:

Move on

Drink the Kool aid.

I drink water bruh
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
YSong wrote:

Move on

Drink the Kool aid.
Vent, actually Ysong is telling the truth. you know how we know he's telling the truth? Because DLo pretty much admitted this in that interview. It's what happens to you when you're really young a lot of times. and your focus is on looking fly, seeing which famous L.A./Entertainer Girl you can find, your brand, etc. you think less about working crazy hard on your game to not just get better but become great. there is a difference between those two things. when Dlo was with us, it looked like he knew he had the ability to blow up and be great.

but because he knew he had that ability, he wouldnt try nearly as hard as he COULD to be great. he was good enough for our losing team at the time. Put it this way. If DLO like kobe, came into a team that was winning 40 to 50 games a year with a shaq level player there and a bunch of allstars at the guard positions.

DLO would've disappeared and rarely been talked about with the way he was presenting himself on the court. so he would've had to decide sooner if he wanted to be this big brand in L.A. he would have to turn into a baller real soon or else no one would care about him.

but because he was playing with a bunch of other young kids on kobes last leg. we didnt pay that much attention to his game. the moment we started really watching what was going on. we felt the same way B. scott did. here's a guy that has greatness thats coming into practice 15 mins early like a role player not like a team leader star player that he thinks he is.

This is why he had to go because that mentality was not going to change with him being in L.A. There's too much other stuff to get caught up in if you're not about basketball like that. you go to BK and now you can hide and focus on your game without any real scrutiny. you air ball no one cares. you dribble off your knee. no one cares. you can mess up 10,000 times and on one is killing you for it. you can make stupid kid mistakes off the court and they wont kill you for it. then you start to grow up naturally and start taking your job more seriously. you realize, i do want to be great all the time not just sometimes.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
YSong wrote:

Move on

Drink the Kool aid.

Check the OP. D’Lo is serving it up.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

Nets also have a coach who’s been in player development for a very long time. They are playing a style very similar to Hardin and the Rockets and letting Russell do what he wants. The Lakers would never have allowed ISO heaven for any player not named Kobe Bryant. Speaking of Kobe, DLO’s usage is at a historical rate. Up there with Kobe, Westbrook, and Hardin. Zach Lowe and Ryan Russillo had a very good podcast on DLO last week. They said that you can say the Lakers were impatient with Russell, but he didn’t turn into this player until Levert got hurt. They even cited how the Nets sat him an entire 4th quarter before he was able to get his game together. Lowe is more mad about the Lakers letting Zu and Randle go for nothing.

As for me, I feel we were to impatient with him. We gave Kobe every runway he needed to succeed, but we couldn’t do that for DLO. With that said, I feel Ingram will be just as good someday and Ball will be the best of all 3. Don’t trade Ball and Ingram!!!
captain jack
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Ppl forget one of our young players had to be moved so that we could trade mosgov’s terrible contract. So Kupchak and Buss share a lot of the blame. Dlo has definitely improved but he’s turning out to be nothing more than a volume shooter. I give it he’s clever with his herky-jerky moves, but he’s a liability on defense and he has a finesse err...soft game w/50 year old knees, contrarily — Ball seems to have 70 year old ankles and a lavar ball taught jump shot. I’m happy he’s in Brooklyn doing well. Lastly, Randle believed he was worth 15 to 20 mil a year and the Lakers had to say next — however, you would think AD can see the potential in NO playing w/Randle, but he wants out. Go figure...
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
RealSkipBayless wrote:
Kobesystem wrote:

I agree. Lonzo, like JKidd, has the ability to rally the troops. Guys will play with him and for him. Mr. CheckMy$tats...I'm telling y'all the streets are talking, and they are not being kind to BronBron.

Do tell, what are the street saying??

Coach Wooden
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject:

SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
RealSkipBayless wrote:
Kobesystem wrote:

meet me in Temecula 💪🥊 💪🥊 💪🥊 💪🥊 💪🥊
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
RealSkipBayless wrote:
Kobesystem wrote:

Tequila?

Coach Wooden
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject:

SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
RealSkipBayless wrote:
Kobesystem wrote:

Tequila?

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?p=6160889
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:

Move on

What does that say about our organization? We're unable to develop talent? The same organization counting on Ingram and Lonzo to develop?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: