ESPN: Chad Ford's trade suggestion: Lakers land Boozer & either Francis or Marbury
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: ESPN: Chad Ford's trade suggestion: Lakers land Boozer & either Francis or Marbury

Sorry if this was already posted. I actually enjoy Chad's NBA draft coverage. However, he's posted an interesting (to say the least) trade suggestion that involves the Lakers.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&id=2341042
By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

Turn around and trade either Francis or Stephon Marbury. (Francis can be re-traded immediately as long as he's traded by himself.) I think Marbury's a better player, but perhaps Larry Brown's had enough of him and I'm sure Marbury's had enough of Larry.

Could they move either guy? It wouldn't be easy. Neither is much of a hot commodity now.

But I wonder about the Lakers. Clearly the idea that they were after Francis is coming from somewhere. If they were after Francis, wouldn't Marbury be an even better fit? And, if it's true they are no longer high on Lamar Odom, which is what just about every GM in the league that I talk to believes, then there's a deal there.

Here's the deal:

Lakers send Odom to New York; Kwame Brown and Smush Parker to Atlanta; and Devean George, Stanislav Medvedenko and Laron Profit to Utah.

Utah sends Carlos Boozer to Lakers.

New York sends either Marbury or Francis to the Lakers.

Atlanta sends Josh Childress to Utah and Tyronn Lue and Donta Smith to the Lakers.

Here's why this might work:

The Knicks would do this to turn Steve Francis or Stephon Marbury into Lamar Odom. Everyone knows that Francis and Marbury are not going to work well together in the backcourt. The Knicks have too many me-first, shoot-first players, especially on the perimeter.

Odom is the opposite, a team guy who can play multiple positions and does what's best for his team. He's not going to drop 30 on you too often, but that's exactly the attitude Larry Brown needs on his roster right now.

I know Lakers coach Phil Jackson isn't thrilled about the idea of losing Odom in midseason, but this one could pay off in the long-term. The Lakers need to get two players for Odom to make something like this work -- a guard and a rebounder, at least. Francis (or Marbury) and Boozer are overpaid, but they should serve their roles just fine as long as both can stay healthy.

The downside for the Lakers is that they would lose any cap flexibility they were going to have in the summer of 2007. However, the cap flexibility isn't going to be much because the Lakers would have to waive all but three players on their roster to get far enough under the cap to sign one max player. I seriously doubt the Lakers are considering putting eight minimum players on their roster in 2007.

This deal would give the Lakers more balance, more scoring and more star power. Whether Kobe would ever pass the ball to the new guys is a different story altogether, though you would have to believe that Marbury in particular would be more adamant about asking for it.

The Jazz basically would be giving away Boozer for cap flexibility and a nice, young two guard with some potential. With the development of Mehmet Okur this year, the Jazz don't really need Boozer -- Okur, Andrei Kirilenko and Greg Ostertag have the frontline covered.

That move would also put the Jazz roughly $13 million under the cap going into the summer, allowing them to use their cap space this summer to either find a two guard who can create his own shot (kind of like they guy they gave away, Kirk Snyder) in the draft, via free agency or with a sign-and-trade.

The Hawks might do it to try out Kwame (who hails from the Atlanta area) for the next season and a half. He would not be a long-term commitment and this summer's free agent market is short on bigs.

Parker is also interesting. He's had some success in L.A. this year and might be a good fit in the backcourt next to Joe Johnson.

Childress has shown potential, but the Hawks have a huge logjam at the wing position.
SirRunnethOfSoCal
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Chad Ford manages to throw in a cheap shot against Kobe in that article:

" ...Whether Kobe would ever pass the ball to the new guys is a different story altogether ..."

As I recall, this is the same guy who placed the Lakers at 13th place in the West at the end of this season in his pre-season predictions on BSPN. He's a joke.
LakerLove
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject:

We don't have Profit anymore
FredG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject:

LakerLove wrote:
We don't have Profit anymore

There's your deal killer.
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject:

ford proves his complete ignorance once again. we wanted francis to try to get tmac.
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject:

msb212 do you know anything, you seem to be on things pretty well.

GO Lakers
STiG909
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:
ford proves his complete ignorance once again. we wanted francis to try to get tmac.

Yeah, what do you hear the players talking about from your courtside seat?
kobenbynum
Star Player
Star Player

Wait so the Lakers would get Marbury, Boozer, Lue and Donta Smith?

I'd do that deal in a heart beat.
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

nothing at all...mitch was at the table for tmac as of 7ish. last I heard about it. some other deals being discussed. I was told about Boozer being a possibility yesterday. but that was a second option.

who knows. I am bitter and nervous and depressed and terrified that PHX gets kg cause if they do, even if we get Tmac we are in deep ish for years to come.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Shows how much I wasn't a fan of the cap space idea.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject:

No doubt, when I heard the KG for Marion deal (with his 44 tonight) that scared me more than us doing nothing. It's going to be suck a mountain to climb if they get him, do you know if the decision makers pull all nighters or are people sleeping on things now.

Go Lakers
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject:

no clue
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

Mike@LG wrote:
Shows how much I wasn't a fan of the cap space idea.

I'm not sure Marbury can play next to Kobe, so it might have to be Francis, and Franchise could be a great fit if he showed any discipline, but he doesn't. I don't do this deal.

Keep Lamar, and get Boozer. If we have scorers in Smush, Kobe, and Boozer, Lamar will be very valuable to us with his overall play and penchant to look to get other guys the ball in scoring position. Kobe and Boozer alone would combine for over 50 points a game, so that leaves another 45-50, which Lamar would get 15, so that's 30-35, which the rest of the team will have no problem getting.

And, when Andrew is ready, we'll have 4 scorers - Kobe, Boozer, Smush, and Bynum - so this is when we'd regret ever having let Lamar go.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

msb212 wrote:
nothing at all...mitch was at the table for tmac as of 7ish. last I heard about it. some other deals being discussed. I was told about Boozer being a possibility yesterday. but that was a second option.

who knows. I am bitter and nervous and depressed and terrified that PHX gets kg cause if they do, even if we get Tmac we are in deep ish for years to come.

Amare and KG in the same front court is just beyond my imagination's grasp. I can't even picture it. It would be so utterly disgusting and unfair to the rest of the league.

Anyway, getting Boozer AND Marbury would at least give us more trading chips to work with, if nothing else. I hate the idea of a Marbury/Kobe back court. The triangle offense demands that players move without the ball, and Marbury does not play well without the ball. I dont like Boozer, but at least we wouldn't be giving up Bynum or Mihm.

When it comes down to it, I hate Chad Ford and don't really care for his opinion on anything in the world, especially my Lakers.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject:

PHX isn't getting KG.

They're happy with what they have.

The ONLY move legitimately rumored that they've considered is moving
James Jones in order to open up the cap-space to extend/re-sign House.

That's it.

(although yes, KG and Amare with Nash at the point would decimate)
FredG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Yeah but is Amare really coming back? And will he ever be the same again? Chris Webber-like maybe.
jack13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Steve Francis is officially NY Knicks
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Nash, Amare, and KG would be frightening. If this happens, Colangelo may as well just send the Suns to the Olympics. The team would be in a league of their own.

I mean, Phoenix already looks scary as good as they're playing without Amare...if he's healthy for the playoffs, they're going to blow creaky old San Antonio out of the water. Detroit too.

Still, we have our own scary lineup emerging if we add one more key piece and Bynum and Smush keep developing. We could end up with 4 quality scorers (one being the best in the NBA) in Kobe, Boozer, Smush, and Bynum, and have Mr. Lamar Odom as the x-man 5th man who greases all the wheels and delivers great looks. That team would be pretty f'in scary too if Bynum and Smush develop as they seem to be capable, and if we can land Boozer or another 4 like him. And we'd probably still have Kwame off the bench getting a little better each year.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject:

FredG wrote:
Yeah but is Amare really coming back? And will he ever be the same again? Chris Webber-like maybe.

From all I've heard, he has the same injury that has caused some other
players long-term problems, but its a far less damaging part of
that area of the knee.

It's still touch-and-go to guess, but I've heard alot of "experts" say that
Amare should be alot better off than most who've had the same surgery.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject:

critical_beatdown wrote:
Nash, Amare, and KG would be frightening. If this happens, Colangelo may as well just send the Suns to the Olympics. The team would be in a league of their own.

I mean, Phoenix already looks scary as good as they're playing without Amare...if he's healthy for the playoffs, they're going to blow creaky old San Antonio out of the water. Detroit too.

Still, we have our own scary lineup emerging if we add one more key piece and Bynum and Smush keep developing. We could end up with 4 quality scorers (one being the best in the NBA) in Kobe, Boozer, Smush, and Bynum, and have Mr. Lamar Odom as the x-man 5th man who greases all the wheels and delivers great looks. That team would be pretty f'in scary too if Bynum and Smush develop as they seem to be capable, and if we can land Boozer or another 4 like him. And we'd probably still have Kwame off the bench getting a little better each year.

You're giving Smush and Bynum too much credit.

Bynum may end up a good scorer, but that's a couple years away.

Smush could also end up a solid scorer, but he's a defensive liability at
the moment.

Boozer and LO are both capable of being one of the two key players to
surround Kobe with (while waiting on Bynum to develop into another key
piece).

LO has to be the "3rd option" - but fits well in that regard because he fills
the statsheet up elsewhere (rebs, asts, etc).

Boozer if he returns to form could end up a 20-10 guy, assuming good
health. So he could be a 2nd option.

In other words, if we have Boozer, LO and Kobe - with Bynum developing
and (maybe) Kwame still off the bench, that's not a bad core.

But calling that a "scarey" lineup that soon is a bit premature.
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject:

Horrible deal...laughable...but like some people said, if the suns get KG...they will walk away with the championship the next couple of years. Nash running a 3 on 1 with KG and Amare on the wings...yikes...I'm scared thinking about it
Aphex Twin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject:

Who would the Suns give up for KG? Surely they wouldn't want Marion when they can get someone a lot younger for KG. Plus, the Suns are in the same conference. They would be better off trading him to Dallas for Howard, Daniels, Harris, etc.
ncaugnit
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject:

This trade scenario in a word.........Horreriful.
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject:

I'd find it hard to believe that the Lakers would ditch the 2007 cap space plan and trade for Francis and Boozer's huge long term deals.Isaih isnt running the Lakers also.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject:

I agree. Especially with Francis.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: