A case for keeping Luke Walton as head coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Luke be retained as Laker Head coach?
Yes, as long as we hire a quality, former head coach to be his 1st assistant
52%
 52%  [ 54 ]
No, Lebron doesn't respect him, Magic doesn't want him, and his rotations suck
47%
 47%  [ 48 ]
Total Votes : 102

audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject:

get rid of him.
He doesnt have the backbone to hold Lebron accountable when needed.
His hands off policy has hurt the development of the youth from reaching their potential and his lazy beach buddy assistants add no value.
His rotations and in game adjustments are awful.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Luke can be an excellent coach on a team with shooters; we are not that team. He doesn't know how to coach players like Zubac, Nance, and Randle who can't shoot 3s.

The best coaches evaluate the talent that's on the team and devises an offense that maximizes everyone's talent; Luke can't do this. Once Josh Hart's shot wasn't going in, he was completely worthless in Luke's offensive scheme. That can't happen.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Magic didn't give Luke the right roster to succeed.

I still think Luke needs to go though.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject:

No scheme, no structure, no support staff. You need a competent coach that can work with the pieces he has at any given point. Even his subs were erratic and il-conceived.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject:

well, my guy is off the board.....

Quote:
Sources: Stackhouse agrees to coach Vanderbilt
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject:

Why is it that any argument to retain Luke Walton doesn't argue that he is a "good coach"?

It's always "he had a terrible roster", or "injuries" or "fair shake" or "godfather deal".

PS "good coach" doesn't mean had a good record when he had an all-star lineup
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject:

This last week shows that Luke was dealt a (bleep) hand with terrible signings, and vets that were only interested in themselves.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject:

I'm seeing a trend. Walton is better with motivating young players to play hard and play as a team. That was the reputation they had last season. That is what we see now.

Have to get rid of him, current trend in roster signings don't fit that mold.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I'm seeing a trend. Walton is better with motivating young players to play hard and play as a team. That was the reputation they had last season. That is what we see now.

That may be. But the team isn't heading in the Brett Brown "the Process" rebuild anymore as we've done that. He's also won with a veteran heavy lineup (Warriors), but he had the Warriors.

Lakers need to get behind him 100% or fire him. Nothing in between as that's not fair to him or the team. Prospective FAs need to know who will be the coach.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

That may be. But the team isn't heading in the Brett Brown "the Process" rebuild anymore as we've done that. He's also won with a veteran heavy lineup (Warriors), but he had the Warriors.

Lakers need to get behind him 100% or fire him. Nothing in between as that's not fair to him or the team. Prospective FAs need to know who will be the coach.

I absolutely agree. Lakers need to create some stability. Something they have been doing a terrible job of doing.

I would prefer keeping Walton with the understanding of he is fully endorsed by FO and players. I honestly see no way that happens at this point. His support has been inconsistent at best. And fans would likely be vocal against the decision. Sad that it matters but it does with the media conscious Laker FO.

Also without player buy in to system and accountability to the HC what is the point? Lakers will make a change to appease James and the fan base that sees Walton as too inexperienced. They need a HC that is James approved and more of a brand name.

Hope I'm wrong but just the way I see this off-season going. Walton has to be the sacrificial lamb. "Because he sucks"
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject:

You mean the young players that were coached by someone other than Luke most of the year? Like Caruso (27 games G-League), Jones (47 games G-League) and Bonga (31 games G-League)?

The only players Luke was the primary coach for that played this year were Javale "I'm Only Here to Block Shots" McGee, KCP and Mo "I Hardly Leave the Bench" Wagner.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I absolutely agree. Lakers need to create some stability. Something they have been doing a terrible job of doing.

I would prefer keeping Walton with the understanding of he is fully endorsed by FO and players. I honestly see no way that happens at this point. His support has been inconsistent at best. And fans would likely be vocal against the decision. Sad that it matters but it does with the media conscious Laker FO.

Also without player buy in to system and accountability to the HC what is the point? Lakers will make a change to appease James and the fan base that sees Walton as too inexperienced. They need a HC that is James approved and more of a brand name.

Hope I'm wrong but just the way I see this off-season going. Walton has to be the sacrificial lamb. "Because he sucks"

Magic and Jeannie will peel off Luke/Pelinka first. Those guys were always the disposable scapegoats.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject:

They need a HC that is James approved and more of a brand name.

My guess is the Lakers will make a coaching change and pick a guy (Ty Lue, Jason Kidd, Juwan Howard, Monty Williams) who won't particularly excite the fan base.

And then it will come down to if Magic gives the coach something to work with.

And then Luke will be immediately hired by another team, maybe Phoenix.

That scenario, of course, could provide more drama in Lakerland, especially if Luke does well in a new setting.

But there will never be a shortage of drama in Lakerland.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject:

I've come to the conclusion that Luke is a good coach for younger players, but when it comes to dealing with superstars and veteran players he's not ready. If the Lakers want to add veterans to the roster Luke unfortunately may not be the right man. You can see how these G-league guys are playing so hard for him, and that shows that it really comes down to how much the players want to put out for a coach and his system. X's and O's are great but if players are not happy execution will fail.
Luke said after the game that it was beautiful to watch these players give it all and share the ball with each other. In a way this is like him saying; we fall apart when one dude decides how everyone else has to play.
This will be a tough decision for the FO, who will either move most of the youngsters and replace them with vets, or keep what you have and give Luke another chance.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
I've come to the conclusion that Luke is a good coach for younger players, but when it comes to dealing with superstars and veteran players he's not ready. If the Lakers want to add veterans to the roster Luke unfortunately may not be the right man. You can see how these G-league guys are playing so hard for him, and that shows that it really comes down to how much the players want to put out for a coach and his system. X's and O's are great but if players are not happy execution will fail.
Luke said after the game that it was beautiful to watch these players give it all and share the ball with each other. In a way this is like him saying; we fall apart when one dude decides how everyone else has to play.
This will be a tough decision for the FO, who will either move most of the youngsters and replace them with vets, or keep what you have and give Luke another chance.

Yeah, Luke was great with Russell and Randle and Ingram and Ball and Zu and Bryant and Bonga and Brown and Svi and Mo and Black. The list goes on and on with Luke and his success with young NBA players. 😜
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

Jeanie, Maginka and LBJ/Klutch are to blame for this season.

Luke has to improve strategically but he's last in line on this list for who should be the scapegoat.

I have my doubts that he can handle the alpha superstars... but had we signed PG or Kawhi, Luke would have been fine.

Hope this period of pointless winning buys him another year... especially as no good candidates other than retread former players have come up for replacement ideas.

If Maginka can commit to the youth of this team, I think we can still salvage our future.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

Luke has to improve strategically but he's last in line on this list for who should be the scapegoat.

I have my doubts that he can handle the alpha superstars... but had we signed PG or Kawhi, Luke would have been fine.

Hope this period of pointless winning buys him another year... especially as no good candidates other than retread former players have come up for replacement ideas.

If Maginka can commit to the youth of this team, I think we can still salvage our future.

His rotations are terrible. His half court offense has been nonexistent for years. His coaches suck. And he’s been terrible with our young stars.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject:

Quote:
but had we signed PG or Kawhi, Luke would have been fine.

How do you know this?

B/c KL isn't a shrinking violet and PG also demanded a trade.

KL played close to the same number of games as LBJ, but the difference? Coaching/better role players.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakers need to get behind him 100% or fire him.

Exactly.

Let's see how much power Jeanie has.
coldzim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject:

Luke Walton is awful.

I thought this was already noticeable here.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
but had we signed PG or Kawhi, Luke would have been fine.

How do you know this?

B/c KL isn't a shrinking violet and PG also demanded a trade.

KL played close to the same number of games as LBJ, but the difference? Coaching/better role players.

I don't but wanting to leave vs. demanding teammates getting traded are at a different level.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

His rotations are terrible. His half court offense has been nonexistent for years. His coaches suck. And he’s been terrible with our young stars.

I'm not enamored with the X's and O's part of his game... he seems to be a decent player manager and motivator... and combined with someone who can help mentor/guide him he can perhaps learn that aspect of the game.

I was happy with the idea of Doc Rivers when that came by us for a minute, but unless it's that quality of a coach, I don't see how Lue or Jason Kidd will change much.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject:

Right now I'd rather keep Luke... The names available aren't better than him (Jackson and Kidd) or are unproven young coaches just like him
Rhazz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

The only reason Lakers are playing better and more cohesive is cause all the injures force Luke to play consistent rotations. Same thing happened last year if I remember correctly. He’s just not a good coach.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject:

I would love to have Luke back in maybe 5-7 years after he's been in all types of grind it out situations, but I just don't think he has the experience or is ready to coach a championship caliber professional team. Part of it is his own doing (not getting good assistants, stubborn rotations), and part is just lacking the tool kit to be able to draw up plays, make adjustments, and pinpoint the strengths and weaknesses of all his players on the floor. It's an extremely difficult job, but we need someone who can do extremely difficult things if we want to win another title.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: