OFFICIAL Lakers Coaching Thread (Lue Negotiation Break Down)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 145, 146, 147  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:
danzag wrote:
Kurt Rambis.
Jason Kidd.

(bleep) me.

So what if Kurt interviewed a head coaching candidate?

1. It doesn't necessarily mean he's the GM now; it just means they brought him in to help with a coaching interview.

2. Kurt has a ton of coaching experience, mostly as top assistant to the most successful coach of all time. Don't you think that would give him some insight as to what a good coach sounds like?

3. It's good to have candidates interview with multiple people who have differing levels of experience and perspectives.

Absolutely this is how you do it, instead of Mitch calling someone at midnight and asking him to make a decision, then the next day hiring D'Antoni because he couldn't decide right then and there. Does that sound like a well oiled front office?

Exactly. I think posters here watch too many movies where a person goes in for a job interview, only talks to the boss, tosses out a few zingers, and sells the boss immediately, on the spot. That wouldn't - or rather, shouldn't - happen for a job like this, and it sounds like it's not.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Someone else posted the link, but per Broderick Turner

Quote:
Kidd is not expected to have a serious shot at the Lakers’ job — a position that some in the organization felt he was campaigning for during the season. Kidd was the coach of the Brooklyn Nets from 2013 to 2014 before the Nets traded him to the Milwaukee Bucks. Kidd was with the Bucks until Jan. 22, 2018, when Milwaukee fired him. His career record as a coach is 183-190.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-tyronn-lue-lakers-coach-second-interview-20190423-story.html
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
I'm sure Rambo is a great guy, because a lot of very important basketball people (Jerry West, Jerry Buss, Phil Jackson) seem to have valued having him around over the decades, but enough is enough. The guy should not be a leading voice deciding on our next coach.

Says the guy who is a Pelinka stan.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:

Quote:
Kidd is not expected to have a serious shot at the Lakers’ job — a position that some in the organization felt he was campaigning for during the season. Kidd was the coach of the Brooklyn Nets from 2013 to 2014 before the Nets traded him to the Milwaukee Bucks. Kidd was with the Bucks until Jan. 22, 2018, when Milwaukee fired him. His career record as a coach is 183-190.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-tyronn-lue-lakers-coach-second-interview-20190423-story.html

I wonder who is telling the LA times that Kidd does not have a serious shot? Boy the Lakers have to close all their doors and check for bugged phones, because either they have an inside mole or just some wannabe spin doctor news reporter.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
levon wrote:

Quote:

I wonder who is telling the LA times that Kidd does not have a serious shot? Boy the Lakers have to close all their doors and check for bugged phones, because either they have an inside mole or just some wannabe spin doctor news reporter.

It sounds like speculation from Turner. The dude needs his hits, but I hope he is right

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject:

bfc1125roy wrote:
Based on my current analysis of Monty Williams, I am not sure he would be a good fit in Phoenix. Maybe they envision him using Ayton like he did Davis.

I think that will depend on how the lottery shakes out. With Zion or Morant, I think Monty makes sense for PHO.

I don't think Lue is a start from scratch coach.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Kidd was never a serious option for us but yet we took the time to interview him on Monday? so stupid.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Kidd was never a serious option for us but yet we took the time to interview him on Monday? so stupid.

Throwing him a bone.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Throwing him a bone.

Maybe he might have a chance at the Cavs job haha
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Practice wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Throwing him a bone.

Maybe he might have a chance at the Cavs job haha

Kidd is trying to get his name out there before looking at college jobs.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
Username wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
Talk about the lynching mentality of LG, I guess it must be that millennial virus taking over brain stems. All they did was interview some ex coaches, it does not mean they are going to hire them. In fact this is a good thing, you may learn from what they have to say.

I don't mind interviewing Kidd. I think casting a wide net and interviewing/picking the brains of basketball people is never a bad idea.

I do object to Kurt Rambis being an important voice in this process.

Because being an assistant to Phil Jackson for a dozen years counts for nothing, right? You think he learned nothing about what makes for a great head coach (even if he himself doesn't have those traits)?

It doesn’t count for anything, Rambis was a bad coach. Phil has no coaching tree.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:
danzag wrote:
Kurt Rambis.
Jason Kidd.

(bleep) me.

1. It doesn't necessarily mean he's the GM now; it just means they brought him in to help with a coaching interview.

2. Kurt has a ton of coaching experience, mostly as top assistant to the most successful coach of all time. Don't you think that would give him some insight as to what a good coach sounds like?

3. It's good to have candidates interview with multiple people who have differing levels of experience and perspectives.

Absolutely this is how you do it, instead of Mitch calling someone at midnight and asking him to make a decision, then the next day hiring D'Antoni because he couldn't decide right then and there. Does that sound like a well oiled front office?

Exactly. I think posters here watch too many movies where a person goes in for a job interview, only talks to the boss, tosses out a few zingers, and sells the boss immediately, on the spot. That wouldn't - or rather, shouldn't - happen for a job like this, and it sounds like it's not.

This job will be filled by answering one question, who does Lebron want?
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:
danzag wrote:
Kurt Rambis.
Jason Kidd.

(bleep) me.

Things have gotten so bad that that scenario is our best-case. It is far superior to who do Jeanie/Linda want.

I trust LeBron to make basketball decisions more than anyone currently in our front office (save for maybe Ryan West and Jesse/Joey Buss, ironically the three that have reportedly been marginalized by the Jeanie/Linda/Pelinka/Kurt coalition).
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Throwing him a bone.

Apparently his agency also reps Ingram and Kemba Walker.

Granting favors like this in this industry should generally be a good thing, but boy are the optics bad. I hope I never have to see Kurt Rambis and Jason Kidd in the same sentence for anything involving the Lakers again
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject:

waiting for Monty Williams to pull himself out of the running.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:
danzag wrote:
Kurt Rambis.
Jason Kidd.

(bleep) me.

Maybe. Whatever. I'll be the optimist and argue that it won't be like that.

But doesn't it brighten your heart just a little to know that, before that decision is made, that the FO is at least learning how to do a regular, rational coaching search?

EDIT: Come to think of it ... I think the Lakers already did ask Lebron. And he came back with 3 names of people he would be ok with. Lue, Howard, Williams. That makes sense.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Pelinka, Rambis, Kidd

Imagine those 3 idiots sitting in a room talking basketball strategy and philosophy.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject:

So earlier today I had a break from the shoot I was on and I say hey let me check Twitter and see what’s happening in basketball. Why is Kurt Rambis‘s name coming up regarding coaching the Lakers?

This organization needs an intervention.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
So earlier today I had a break from the shoot I was on and I say hey let me check Twitter and see what’s happening in basketball. Why is Kurt Rambis‘s name coming up regarding coaching the Lakers?

No offense, but if you go to Twitter to find out what's happening in basketball, you have no one to blame but yourself.
Chad09
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:

This organization needs an intervention.

His wife is also controlling things with Jeanie.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:
danzag wrote:
Kurt Rambis.
Jason Kidd.

(bleep) me.

And that job was filled by who did Nash want? The sad part of that charade was that nobody asked Kobe or Pau who eventually had to put up with a coach who hated their styles.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Kurt Rambis had great success as a coach in L.A., Minny and New York.
What could go wrong?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
What could go wrong?

4th time the charm?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
epak wrote:
What could go wrong?

4th time the charm?

Clippers should give him a chance.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Are there Laker fans who want Billy Donovan if he becomes available?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 145, 146, 147  Next
Page 44 of 147
Jump to: