OFFICIAL Lakers Coaching Thread (Lue Negotiation Break Down)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 145, 146, 147  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
kikanga wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
kikanga wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
Woj says we're going to Philly to interview Monty:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1117506692563046400

Who exactly is "Lakers management" besides Pelinka?

Still think we get Lue. Lebron will choose our next coach.

Then wouldn't it be Mark Jackson?

I'm happy his name hasn't surfaced yet.

I think Lue is Bron's favorite.

Lue was never Lebron's choice. He was Griffin's.

Technically Blatt was Griffin's choice. Lue was the compromise.

No, Blatt was Dan Gilbert's choice.

Quote:

Adrian Wojnarowski

@wojespn

If you knew that LeBron James was going to come back, would you have waited to hire a coach in 2014?

David Griffin (@dg_riff): “Oh, 100 percent. Sure. We didn’t believe for a second LeBron was coming back at that point.”

The Woj Pod: http://apple.co/2vm1oF0

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/former-cavs-gm-lebron-james-return-made-david-blatts-job-harder/
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject:

Monty Williams is pretty solid. Has shown to coach good defenses in the past, runs a ton of pick n roll, players always play hard for him, and is considered a "scrub whisperer". When CP3 missed most of the 2009-2010 season, Darren Collison was able to fit in and had huge games, even some were saying CP3 was a system player due to the pick n roll heavy system at the time, as even Greivis Vasquez was putting up huge numbers under Monty Williams. Gets the most out of players that aren't the most talented like Vasquez, Brian Roberts, Jason Smith, Dante Cunningham, Alexis Ajinca, etc. that got paid and more opportunities in the league due to Monty. Monty maxes out a team that lacks talent, and he never had the opportunity to coach a really talented team with a ton of talent before. Never got to coach that Pelicans team with AD, Jrue, Gordon, Evans, & Ryan Anderson team in the 2 seasons in New Orleans due to injuries. Biggest negative was that Williams' Hornets/Pelicans teams never cracked 100 points scored in a full season, but imo was more due to lack of offensive talent and the league being much different, even back in 2014-15 when he last coached.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject:

Has Monty improved since he was HC of NO?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject:

Any guesses on who Monty will add to his staff if we hire him?
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject:

Ramona Shelburne
@ramonashelburne

The Lakers have received permission to speak to Juwan Howard, plan interview him next week
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

For those who think we need a experience coach, just look at what a job Nick Nurse has done with the Raptors despite lacking HC experience in the NBA.

I am perfectly fine with Howard or Monty.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
Ramona Shelburne
@ramonashelburne

The Lakers have received permission to speak to Juwan Howard, plan interview him next week

Kinda crazy but Howard and Pelinka were teammates at Michigan during the Fab 5 years
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:

That remains to be seen, but has had the right connections. Was coaching intern for the Spurs 2005 title team, spent 5 seasons as an assistant coach for Nate McMillan with the Blazers, became Vice President of Basketball Operations for the Spurs for 2 years before becoming assistant for the Sixers Brett Brown, under the Spurs' coaching tree, and an assistant coach for Coach K's 2016 Olympic staff. Nate McMillan was considered a retread and a relic from the past, but he has improved a ton and now considered one of the better coaches in the league now and his connections as an assistant coach and apart of the Team USA basketball staff made him a much better coach imo.

Last edited by JPaulK0n on Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Shelburne: The Lakers plan to talk to Monty Williams, Tyronn Lue & Juwan Howard as part of the initial phase of their coaching search, league sources tell ESPN.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:
Shelburne: The Lakers plan to talk to Monty Williams, Tyronn Lue & Juwan Howard as part of the initial phase of their coaching search, league sources tell ESPN.

"The initial phase", trying to make it sound like this is some well-thought out process.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

That remains to be seen, but has had the right connections. Was coaching intern for the Spurs 2005 title team, spent 5 seasons as an assistant coach for Nate McMillan with the Blazers, became Vice President of Basketball Operations for the Spurs for 1 year before becoming assistant for the Sixers Brett Brown, under the Spurs' coaching tree, and an assistant coach for Coach K's 2016 Olympic staff. Nate McMillan was considered a retread and a relic from the past, but he has improved a ton and now considered one of the better coaches in the league now and his connections as an assistant coach and apart of the Team USA basketball staff made him a much better coach imo.

Good post.

I am excited on the potential hire of Monty Williams, I have a feeling he’s gonna do a very good job with us.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

That remains to be seen, but has had the right connections. Was coaching intern for the Spurs 2005 title team, spent 5 seasons as an assistant coach for Nate McMillan with the Blazers, became Vice President of Basketball Operations for the Spurs for 1 year before becoming assistant for the Sixers Brett Brown, under the Spurs' coaching tree, and an assistant coach for Coach K's 2016 Olympic staff. Nate McMillan was considered a retread and a relic from the past, but he has improved a ton and now considered one of the better coaches in the league now and his connections as an assistant coach and apart of the Team USA basketball staff made him a much better coach imo.

Should be noted he took 2 years off to care for his kids after his wife was tragically killed in OKC. He'd most likely be a HC right now if he hadn't taken those 2 years off.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:

Should be noted he took 2 years off to care for his kids after his wife was tragically killed in OKC. He'd most likely be a HC right now if he hadn't taken those 2 years off.

Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Ramona Shelburne
@ramonashelburne

Kinda crazy but Howard and Pelinka were teammates at Michigan during the Fab 5 years

So Howard for HC, then Jalen Rose and Chris Webber for assistants? That would be funny
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:

"The initial phase", trying to make it sound like this is some well-thought out process.

Cmow. This is what they should do otherwise they're gonna hire some other former Laker or Buss friend. You gotta interview people you don't know. Acawrse they did interview Byron 3 or so times and still hired him, but point stands. I just don't want them to hire some fool in the mailroom because they think they need a coach, any coach now.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
I really love the X's and O's of Tony Bennett. I do not know how his offensive game translates to the big boys, but he is known amongst his peers as not only one of the best defensive minds in college ball but also as one of the best overall coaches as well. Love his age and the energy he would bring to the team. If we hire a rethread (especially to appease the queen), we are doomed. As much of a fan as I am of Wright (I have been a HUGE Big East Conference fan since its inception), I think Bennett is actually a better fit.

You plug BI and Kuz into that blockers/movers scheme, and draft Ty/Ky with their curl movement and shooting ability; maybe a stretch big like an improving shot making Anthony Bennett, bring in coach AB, and you got yourself a young Dubs South. Let em gel for two years, then you have a sustainable contender.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:

Cmow. This is what they should do otherwise they're gonna hire some other former Laker or Buss friend. You gotta interview people you don't know. Acawrse they did interview Byron 3 or so times and still hired him, but point stands. I just want them to hire some fool in the mailroom because they think they need a coach, any coach now.

Ya, my real problem is Jeannie is going to promote Pelinka and Pelinka is running things. What they should do is hire a legit person to run basketball operations.

They interviewed Byron 3 times? They were waiting for him to say something impressive, they had to keep giving him opportunities.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:

Cmow. This is what they should do otherwise they're gonna hire some other former Laker or Buss friend. You gotta interview people you don't know. Acawrse they did interview Byron 3 or so times and still hired him, but point stands. I just want them to hire some fool in the mailroom because they think they need a coach, any coach now.

Ya, my real problem is Jeannie is going to promote Pelinka and Pelinka is running things. What they should do is hire a legit person to run basketball operations.

They interviewed Byron 3 times? They were waiting for him to say something impressive, they had to keep giving him opportunities.

They were waiting for him to take only a 2-year deal essentially, which incredibly he did.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Ramona Shelburne
@ramonashelburne

So Howard for HC, then Jalen Rose and Chris Webber for assistants? That would be funny

I like it. Perhaps they can master the calling the timeout when you have timeouts left strategy.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:

It’s not really promotion because he was always the GM and he only has more power now because Magic left. A lot of teams don’t even have separate people running basketball operations and you could argue it rarely works, so they could potentially just decide to keep everything exactly the same with no promotions.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
Ramona Shelburne
@ramonashelburne

That would be a bit interesting. Too bad C-Webb & Jalen are beefin' at the moment.
AJ
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject:

24Legend007 wrote:
I think it is obvious that Lebron wants a black coach. I'm not even trying to be racist, I am part black. The only black coach he ever had a problem with was M. Brown. And even he put up with Browns poor coaching style for years. If we are going to hire any white or non black coach it would have to be someone like coach K probably, and even that will eventually be a problem imo. I guess I don't have a problem with it, but if we could of got someone like a Malone right now it would be stupid not to hire him.

But yeah, if you dont see this you are blind.
LeBron would absolutely cherish Malone. He was on the M. Brown staff in Cleveland, they absolutely love each other, Malone would be a GREAT get but its not realistic at all.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:
Quote:

It’s not really promotion because he was always the GM and he only has more power now because Magic left. A lot of teams don’t even have separate people running basketball operations and you could argue it rarely works, so they could potentially just decide to keep everything exactly the same with no promotions.

Exactly, and when something is wrong it is just Pelinka doing it right or wrong; not this eternal guessing discussion.
AJ
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Does it have to be a NAME head coach? Hollins is just sitting around, occasionally working for NBAtv.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject:

I like Monty the most.... he’s proven he can coach and he has already shown he’s a great communicator.

This isn’t some Luke level experience
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 145, 146, 147  Next
Page 28 of 147
Jump to: