Mitch makes the list!!! (of worst GM's)

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Mitch makes the list!!! (of worst GM's)

http://www.realgm.com/src_feature/480/20060221/the_recently_least_successful_gms/

at least he's not number 1... yet...
LakersPride
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject:

Everything the man said about cupcake is true.

YES HE DESERVES TO DIE....AND I HOPE HE BURNS IN HELL!!!
(to quote sam l. jackson, one of my favorite actors)
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject:

I don't think he should be that high. There are other bad GMs that they didn't mention. What about the Hawks' GM? Sonics? Raptors? These 3 should at least be higher than Mitch on that list. I might even jump other GMs over him like the Utah GM.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject:

Putting him 5th from the bottom is a bit much, IMO.

But I do think Mitch is on the lower-half at this point.

I'd say the same if he'd done great - hard to rank him super-high or super
low because so much of the moves he makes are actually determined
moreso by Dr. Buss, his son, Phil, etc.

He doesn't have the same control as alot of GMs in the league (and maybe
sometimes that's good!)... but that also makes him a bit less accountable.

He's like a Republican president with a Democratic majority in all the
houses sometimes.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Mitch makes the list!!! (of worst GM's)

Vlade wrote:
http://www.realgm.com/src_feature/480/20060221/the_recently_least_successful_gms/

you know what i noticed, two guys a.mckie and vlade (both injured) who in the world knew they would be out all season long. every gets injured. but neither one of these guys are known for being out all season long or every other night like DA the guy all you wanted to get(who got injured as usual doing what? i have no idea. and Tmac as usual. so is that mitch's fault for trying to bring in vets for cheap? nope. who else was out there? DA(look at him now). and AD, what is he doing right now? earl watson( i guy i wanted myself, but what is he doing right now?)

thats it. and earl & AD were not going to take the MLE.

then he gets mitch for the kwame deal. as if we could've gotten another BIg PF that would be able to hold off other star pf's in this league for anyone else not named bryant or odom. i would like to see that.

at least he had i.thomas as #1. because this guy is the worse thing going as we speak. just making deals to tell management he's making deals. and to keep the fans like half of LG, that think making any deal is better then not making one, happy.

for what Golden state, Dallas Mavericks gave to foyle, and dampier. i think we go kwame for a nice price. and the thing is, the guy will want to resign after year 3, and he wont deserve a penny more then what ever we offer him. Cheap big man defense. I'll take it. think future. not tomorrow. not the day after that. but next week. the lakers will be ready to roll. i dont care how old kobe is by that time. lets stop acting like we wasted kobe's life. kobe has 3 rings, did you forget that. he could call it quits this evening, and would slide right into the hall of fame, right next to magic, west, wilt, etc.

by the way, all these great GM's beside san an, and Dumars and the pistons. haven't won any real hardware. NON. all those Dallas moves, didn't do jack but put butts in seats. the best move ever was Avery Johnson. not players.

i have to keep saying this. do not compare mitch/lakers to non championship teams. do not compare the lakers to teams that won the championship with very young players. its not a fair comparison. we were old when we won the 1st, 2nd and 3rd(horry old, shaq (old in mileage), fox(old), Glen rice(old). that was our core group. the youth was kobe, fish, and george. and I'm sorry you dont replace darn near retirees with new young blood. it just aint happening. everytime you wish we were the suns. look at Sacramento right now. look at the trailblazers. all those years of top notch players that just couldn't do it. for whatever reason. I'm sorry I dont want to be one of those teams. I would rather be a 8th seed barely making it, or a lotto team until we can actually be ready to get to the finals. thats just my idea of Laker basketball. and its also BUss' idea. most fans want to win and nver lose. thats not reality though.

oh, ps, we asked for marcus banks in that celtic trade. stupid ainge hated on us, cause we're the lakers. and now look at banks shipped off. thats not mitch's fault, thats ainge being an idiot. now granted banks still isn't a great, nor solid player. so i dont see what the big deal was or is. even though i like his skill. i think he needs a lot more to be a lakers. that stuff works for those other guys. you come to L.A. and it wont be so easy.
MOJO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject:

how do you not put the hawks gm on that list? i mean not drafting chris paul and signing joe johnson to the max contract? i mean come on.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject:

MOJO wrote:
how do you not put the hawks gm on that list? i mean not drafting chris paul and signing joe johnson to the max contract? i mean come on.

Couldn't agree more.

Shame Babcock got canned, otherwise he might have given Isiah a run
for that #1 spot
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject:

They say a team takes on the persona of it's owner/GM, and that's what we have here - a team that is on the bubble, but is close to being great.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject:

We're close to being great?

Add KG to our squad, we could be great.

But add KG to half the squads in the league and they're great.

Not so sure we're that "close."
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject:

Exactly why I posted the thread about bringing Colangelo to the Lakers.

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=18706

Bryan Colangelo should be the next Lakers President and General Manager!!!

Honestly, why don't the Lakers go after Colangelo? If everyone is going to blame Mitch for trading Shaq and Butler, getting Kwame and not getting Artest, why don't the Lakers hire Colangelo?

Is there a hotter President and General Manager available than Colangelo?

Jerry Buss needs to right the ship and it starts with the front office. Jerry Buss can never make up for letting Jerry West leave the Lakers, but hiring Colangelo would be a solid start.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject:

There is just wwwaaaayyyy to much hatred on this forum...

Last edited by THE_SHOES on Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject:

No offense, Vlade, but this is a good example of what is wrong with internet "journalism." This is an article by someone identified only as "themanwiththebigbigfeet@hotmail.com." Why should we take it seriously?

I would hope that everyone would agree that Isiah should be #1 on this list. But most of the remaining names on the list are GMs of teams that are trying to rebuild. Let's consider a couple:

18 months ago, Kevin McHale looked brilliant. He had slowly built the Timberwolves into the team with the best record in the West. They barely lost to us in the WCF. Now "themanwiththebigbigfeet@hotmail.com" says McHale is a bum (#2 on this list) because, among other things, he traded Sam Cassell for Marko Jaric. Sure thing.

6 months ago, the Golden State Warriors were the trendy pick to be the surprise team in the West after many years of mediocrity. Some people picked them to win the division. So far, of course, the team has underachieved. So Chris Mullin is #3 on this list because he has spent lots of money? Sure thing.

This is just a trendy list of GMs who are being bashed by their fans. It isn't trendy to bash Billy Knight because the Hawks have sucked for years, but as other posters have pointed out, his performance rivals that of Isiah. This is a guy who pretty much forced a highly publicized breakup of the team's ownership group so that he could grossly overpay Joe Jackson, while giving up Diaw and draft picks.
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:

There is just wwwaaaayyyy to much hatred in this forum...

Wow. If this thread is too hateful, you might want to avoid 90% of the other threads.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:
THE_SHOES wrote:

There is just wwwaaaayyyy to much hatred in this forum...

Wow. If this thread is too hateful, you might want to avoid 90% of the other threads.

Exactly! Pretty soon the piss and moan thread is going to turn into an entire section to itself. It really is out of control for a team that is young, building, and learning on the fly while maintaining a playoff position. While fans have absolutely no sympathy or patience...
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Mitch makes the list!!! (of worst GM's)

Vlade wrote:

Looking at that list makes Mitch look like a genuis... LOL...

Love the fact that there are, not one, but two Celtics and Psiton ahead of Mitch... that made my day!!!!!! Question, does Mitch get credit for Gp and Malone suiting up in the P&G?? If so, you would have to give him credit for that, even if it did not work out in the end....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
No offense, Vlade, but this is a good example of what is wrong with internet "journalism." This is an article by someone identified only as "themanwiththebigbigfeet@hotmail.com." Why should we take it seriously?

Or why should we take the analysts on RealGM.com seriously? Less than a month ago, another writer said that Danny Ainge was the 10th best GM in the NBA (link). Now, he's the 4th worst in the NBA.
jaberwock2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Mitch makes the list!!! (of worst GM's)

postandpivot wrote:
i have to keep saying this. do not compare mitch/lakers to non championship teams. do not compare the lakers to teams that won the championship with very young players. its not a fair comparison. we were old when we won the 1st, 2nd and 3rd(horry old, shaq (old in mileage), fox(old), Glen rice(old). that was our core group. the youth was kobe, fish, and george. and I'm sorry you dont replace darn near retirees with new young blood. it just aint happening. everytime you wish we were the suns. look at Sacramento right now. look at the trailblazers. all those years of top notch players that just couldn't do it. for whatever reason. I'm sorry I dont want to be one of those teams. I would rather be a 8th seed barely making it, or a lotto team until we can actually be ready to get to the finals. thats just my idea of Laker basketball. and its also BUss' idea. most fans want to win and nver lose. thats not reality though.

Awesome post, P&P. It takes time folks. It takes time for guys to learn to play together, both in the triangle, and on the defensive end. It takes time for young players to learn. And if you have constant turnover (like the Knicks) guys never do jell, and never do learn anything.

And just think, maybe Mitch is holding on to what he's got for when KG does become available... who knows? There's no sense in p***ing it all away for someone who's never shown any sign of playing team ball like Stevie Franchise, or Baron Davis, to name a couple favorites of the "Do it now Mitch" crowd.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject:

What makes a GM good or bad? To me, a good GM is a GM that makes transactions that creates a young, winning team with a good salary structure. The ideal would to build a young team that wins the NBA championship while staying under the luxury tax.

Has Mitch built a young team? The Lakers have the second youngest roster in the NBA.
Has Mitch built a winning team? The Lakers are over .500
Does the Lakers have a good salary structure? Kobe and Odom are the only big dollar contracts and everyone else has a very reasonable salary
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: