Deadline near and no trade yet -- PE article just posted

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Deadline near and no trade yet -- PE article just posted

Just trying to provide something for all of us waiting for anything

Quote:

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_lakers_notes_23.182e2803.html
Deadline near and no trade
Broderick Turner

11:46 PM PST on Wednesday, February 22, 2006

EL SEGUNDO - The Lakers feel they could use a veteran guard, but Coach Phil Jackson doesn't expect the team to make a move before today's noon trading deadline.

If the Lakers don't acquire another guard, they will likely have to wait until Aaron McKie comes back from the slight tear in his left quadriceps tendon that has sidelined him for the past 39 games. He's expected to return soon.

"We know we have some weaknesses," Jackson said. "We're trying to bridge that up."

Devean George has been mentioned in trade rumors, and so has Lamar Odom.

George knows his expiring contract could make him attractive but said he's not worried about being traded.

"I'm immune to that," he said. "Numb. Trade rumors doesn't even bother me. I don't read the paper."

Playoff Chase

The Lakers are paying close attention to the standings.

They hold the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference and know that several teams are breathing down their necks.

"All these games are critical," George said, "especially (against) the teams that are either two games ahead of us (or) behind us in our division."

The Lakers play the Kings tonight at Staples Center and know that Sacramento has moved to within 2½ games of them.

The Lakers also know the Jazz is just 1½ games behind them. But the Lakers also know they are 1½ games behind the Hornets for the seventh playoff spot.

With 29 games left, Jackson said the Lakers can't afford to play .500 ball and expect to hold onto the eighth spot.

"We have to win a large portion of our games," he said. "Not 16 or 14."

drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject:

I should have added YET to the title, but don't know if you can edit a thread title.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject:

Brief L.A. Times mention:

Quote:
The trade deadline passes today at noon, with Jackson saying the Lakers would push ahead if they don't make a deal.

"These kids have been good students so far," he said. "We know we have some weaknesses. We're trying to bridge that up. We'll try and improve the team if we can, but if we don't we're going forward."

LINK

drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject:

well, I guess Phil has done all the lobbying he could, so now its pretty much out of his hands...
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Brief L.A. Times mention:

Quote:
The trade deadline passes today at noon, with Jackson saying the Lakers would push ahead if they don't make a deal.

"These kids have been good students so far," he said. "We know we have some weaknesses. We're trying to bridge that up. We'll try and improve the team if we can, but if we don't we're going forward."

LINK

Translation: "We were working on about five deals, none of which looks
like it's gonna happen - so we're going Bode Miller on all yall press mofros
and acting like it ain't no big deal to go 0-for-5."
JimmyPage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
"I'm immune to that," he said. "Numb. Trade rumors doesn't even bother me. I don't even know how to read the paper."

Fixed.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject:

Daily News:

Quote:
...George's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said he thought the Lakers were fielding calls about George but would decide against moving him, in large part because the 28-year-old forward has regained his athleticism and has the trust of coach Phil Jackson.

"Every single trade rumor, I'm involved," said George, who will be a free agent this summer. "I'm kind of numb."

In the meantime, George had another solid game Tuesday against Portland, finishing with 13 points and six rebounds on 6-of-8 shooting. He has scored in double figures the Lakers' last four games, accounting for 60 percent of the team's bench scoring.

It also has helped that George is more familiar with Jackson's triangle offense than anybody except Kobe Bryant. George not only can organize the offense, he knows where to find his shots out of it.

"I know how to get into areas and I know what's expected of me," George said. "I'm playing, I'm not thinking. It's like second nature to me. I know all the plays, all the motions."

Moving day: Jackson has said he is looking for a veteran backcourt player at the deadline, and one possibility might be Houston guard Derek Anderson, who came close to signing with the Lakers in August.

Anderson's agent, Tony Dutt, said the Lakers were one of four or five teams talking with Houston general manager Carroll Dawson about acquiring the 31-year-old guard.

"Looking at it now," Dutt said of the Lakers, "that's probably where he should have gone." [Duh... dumbazz]

The Rockets are actively seeking a trade for Anderson, who has averaged 10.8 points in 20 games this season. He suffered a right calf strain in December and hasn't played since, but is 100 percent healthy again and working out daily, according to Dutt.

Jackson, meanwhile, was asked about the possibility of the Lakers not making a move.

"These kids have been good students so far," Jackson said. "We know we have some inconsistency, we're trying to bridge that up. We'll try and improve the team if we can. But if we don't, we're going forward."

http://dailynews.com/sports/ci_3536438
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Daily News:

Quote:
"Looking at it now," Dutt said of the Lakers, "that's probably where he should have gone." [Duh... dumbazz]

http://dailynews.com/sports/ci_3536438

drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject:

And now the Long beach press telegram...

Quote:

http://www.presstelegram.com/sports/ci_3536589

Lakers: George secure in Laker role
By Ross Siler, Staff writer

On the day before the NBA trade deadline last February, Lakers forward Devean George started saying his goodbyes, telling reporters "I think my time is limited" and talking about the three championship rings he won. If anything, George's value only has increased in the year since. He finally has recovered from his July 2004 ankle surgery, his play has improved and his expiring contract is salary-cap friendly for interested teams.
Yet George did not sound overly concerned Wednesday about being traded in advance of today's noon deadline, especially given the month he is having. He is averaging 11.5 points a game in February and is secure in his role with the Lakers.

"A year ago, I was still hurt, still rehabbing, trying to get through," George said. "Now I'm in a comfortable role. I know what coach wants me to do. He wants me to come off the bench, stabilize the bench, and just help out in all areas."

George's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said he thought the Lakers were fielding calls about George but would decide against moving him, in large part because the 28-year-old forward has regained his athleticism and has the trust of coach

Phil Jackson.

"Every single trade rumor, I'm involved," said George, who will be a free agent this summer. "I'm kind of numb."

Moving day
Jackson has said he is looking for a veteran backcourt player at the deadline, and one possibility might be Houston guard Derek Anderson, who came close to signing with the Lakers in August.
Anderson's agent, Tony Dutt, said the Lakers were one of four or five teams talking with Houston general manager Carroll Dawson about acquiring the 31-year-old guard.

"Looking at it now," Dutt said of the Lakers, "that's probably where he should have gone."

[DA again.... ]
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
"Looking at it now," [DA's agent] said of the Lakers, "that's probably where he should have gone."

Gee, ya think?

Rot in Houston.
Serious NBA Fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
Quote:
"Looking at it now," [DA's agent] said of the Lakers, "that's probably where he should have gone."

Gee, ya think?

Rot in Houston.

Well, he did give up a cool million to go to Houston. Now Houston wants a 1st rounder to trade him.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject:

Serious NBA Fan wrote:
sodapoppenski wrote:
Quote:

Gee, ya think?

Rot in Houston.

Well, he did give up a cool million to go to Houston. Now Houston wants a 1st rounder to trade him.

1st rounder of what? Round of drinks?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

1st rounder of what? Round of drinks?

He is worth about a 12 pack of Meister Brau at best.

Put it on my charge card if it will move Vujacic out of the rotation, mercifully.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject:

DA has always done this - it's his caeer long MO - signing with the Blazers for big money instead of even more money to stay with the Spurs.

Um smaller scale - scale but the exact same thing with the Lakers and Rockets.

The Lakers from what I hear don't even want him now . . .
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
DA has always done this - it's his caeer long MO - signing with the Blazers for big money instead of even more money to stay with the Spurs.

Um smaller scale - scale but the exact same thing with the Lakers and Rockets.

DA
ToughKarl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject:

1st rounder?
BossHossX
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

Which means he's precisely who we'll get.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject:

BossHossX wrote:
emplay wrote:

Which means he's precisely who we'll get.

Hmmm....

I don't want KG!!!
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject:

Another bites the dust and another goes and another goes another bites the dust.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject:

JimmyPage wrote:
Quote:
"I'm immune to that," he said. "Numb. Trade rumors doesn't even bother me. I don't even know how to read the paper."

Fixed.

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject:

drew4lakers wrote:
And now the Long beach press telegram...

Quote:

George's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said he thought the Lakers were fielding calls about George but would decide against moving him, in large part because the 28-year-old forward has regained his athleticism and has the trust of coach

[DA again.... ]

Yes, yes, George has been hurt, but he is too inconsistent and I would move him in a heartbeat. Didn't he play this well the last time he was in a contract year?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: