KCP nixes a deal that would have sent him and Michael Beasley to Chicago in exchange for Jabari Parker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

I'm annoyed that the Lakers are playing cuckolds to an agency instead of pursuing what's best for our team.

Had we come up with a more modest trade offer and the Pelicans refused, I wouldn't have a big issue with Klutch... (and yes, I get that we don't know for certain what it was) I blame management from Jeanie on down for what is happening. .

I think this is about Magic, not Klutch. The Pelicans kept saying no and Magic kept offering more because he's desperate for another superstar. I have no reason to believe that Klutch was egging him on to offer more, and even if they were, there isn't a reason for him to do so unless he thinks it's a good idea.

Now that we have Lebron, Klutch really doesn't have any power over the Lakers. They can't control whether the Pelicans trade AD to us, and we're not targeting any of their other players. If Magic is afraid to tell Klutch no, that just reflects his weakness as a GM because there is no reason for him to be afraid of them.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: KCP nixes a deal that would have sent him and Michael Beasley to Chicago in exchange for Jabari Parker

activeverb wrote:
Big Game James wrote:

2) Not according to THIS report from Brad Turner. He was traded for three reasons, none of which had to do with Muscala. It was to (1) dump Beasley, (2) free up more time for McGee who grew unhappy with his minutes and (3) the growing fear from the front office that they would be unable to keep Zubac this summer.

Brad Turner's reasoning makes no sense. He just seems to be talking out of his ass, rather than basing his opinion on anything the Lakers told him. Here's why I think he's wrong:

1. If the Lakers wanted to dump Beasley, they could have simply waived him. He was an expiring contract, so there was no reason to give up assets to get rid of him.

2. McGee's playing time didn't increase after the Zubac trade. And if they wanted to free up time for McGee, they could have sat Zubac. He already had 20 DNP-CDs this year, so the Lakers obviously had no problem sitting him.

3. I could see them trading Zubac if they didn't think they could resign him. But why would they trade him for someone they didn't want? What is the benefit of that?

So, yeah, I think Turner was just riffing about this, and saying dumb things.

I think the trade was done for many reasons including the ones Turner mentioned.
1. If they trade instead of waive Beasley, they can save money. Also, if they waive a player they just signed in summer, it indicates they admit that was a poor signing.

2. Zubac has outplayed McGee. There’s no justifiable reason to sit Zubac anymore. Those DNPs were at the start of the season.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject:

RealSkipBayless wrote:

But who the (bleep) is KCP? Lmao he has gotten way more money than he is worth with us. Dude should be on his knees worshipping the Lakers. Certainly should go where ever the (bleep) we want him to. Magic says jump? KCP should ask how high?

Well, KCP turned down a 5-year, $80 million offer from Detroit, so I doubt he feels that the Lakers overpaid him. It will be interesting to see what his value on the open market is. He always seems to generate more interest than I expect.

And I can't blame the guy for not wanting to move to Chicago in February. I would have declined the trade to if I were him.

Because really those are the key benefits of sacrificing security for a one year deal -- you get more money on a per year basis and you can veto trades.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
We missed out on Jabari, so then we decided to try for AD? Doesn't make sense.

AD is the next best thing after Jabari
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: KCP nixes a deal that would have sent him and Michael Beasley to Chicago in exchange for Jabari Parker

lakersfan8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Big Game James wrote:

2) Not according to THIS report from Brad Turner. He was traded for three reasons, none of which had to do with Muscala. It was to (1) dump Beasley, (2) free up more time for McGee who grew unhappy with his minutes and (3) the growing fear from the front office that they would be unable to keep Zubac this summer.

Brad Turner's reasoning makes no sense. He just seems to be talking out of his ass, rather than basing his opinion on anything the Lakers told him. Here's why I think he's wrong:

1. If the Lakers wanted to dump Beasley, they could have simply waived him. He was an expiring contract, so there was no reason to give up assets to get rid of him.

2. McGee's playing time didn't increase after the Zubac trade. And if they wanted to free up time for McGee, they could have sat Zubac. He already had 20 DNP-CDs this year, so the Lakers obviously had no problem sitting him.

3. I could see them trading Zubac if they didn't think they could resign him. But why would they trade him for someone they didn't want? What is the benefit of that?

So, yeah, I think Turner was just riffing about this, and saying dumb things.

I think the trade was done for many reasons including the ones Turner mentioned.
1. If they trade instead of waive Beasley, they can save money. Also, if they waive a player they just signed in summer, it indicates they admit that was a poor signing.

2. Zubac has outplayed McGee. There’s no justifiable reason to sit Zubac anymore. Those DNPs were at the start of the season.

I don't think Turner has any special knowledge about this and the simpler answer seems more logical to me: The Lakers had tried to trade Zubac already a couple of times this season, and they didn't think much of him, so they packaged him with another guy they didn't want to try to improve their awful 3-point shooting.
GreekTrojan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject:

I'm more upset that we tried to get Jabari Parker than the fact that we didn't get him.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Cant blame him, I would do the same.
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Cant blame him, I would do the same.

As bad as he played I can’t blame KCP either. He’s probably going to get a one year deal to try to raise his market value. If your going to get a 5 or 6 million dollar deal getting it with the lakers gives you bird rights the year after
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
55 wrote:
We missed out on Jabari, so then we decided to try for AD? Doesn't make sense.

AD is the next best thing after Jabari

That's what it sounded like.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Parker would've been salary ballast in a possible Davis trade, nothing more.

The Lakers tried to get Parker before AD made his trade request; he wasn't in play yet, so I can't see how trying to get him had anything to do with AD. And Parker was no more salary ballast than KCP and Beasley, so it doesn't make sense the Lakers would trade two expiring contracts just to get another expiring contract to trade.

Before AD made his trade request public, of course. Otherwise a tampering investigation would've been opened up. This was in play the day AD signed with Klutch.

Parker makes $20M, KCP/Beasley made $15.5M combined, I think Parker gave them more trade flexibility.
matrixskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Worst Laker ever and it's not even close.

"I GOT WHEATIES!"
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:

The Lakers tried to get Parker before AD made his trade request; he wasn't in play yet, so I can't see how trying to get him had anything to do with AD. And Parker was no more salary ballast than KCP and Beasley, so it doesn't make sense the Lakers would trade two expiring contracts just to get another expiring contract to trade.

Before AD made his trade request public, of course. Otherwise a tampering investigation would've been opened up. This was in play the day AD signed with Klutch.

Parker makes $20M, KCP/Beasley made $15.5M combined, I think Parker gave them more trade flexibility.

Unless they changed the rules, I believe if you trade for a player, you cannot trade him again in combination with other players for 60 days. So they wouldn't have been able to use him in a trade for AD this season.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:22 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:

Unless they changed the rules, I believe if you trade for a player, you cannot trade him again in combination with other players for 60 days. So they wouldn't have been able to use him in a trade for AD this season.

Yes you are right. Thought there had to be some immediate justification to this seemingly head scratching move, at face value the trade is horrendous from a roster construction standpoint and makes the now former FO look incompetent. Adding Jabari to open a roster spot for Melo?

Only justification would be, they were hoping to get Chicago into trade talks, and perhaps a three-way deal for AD would've evolved by the deadline. Perhaps we wanted to send Zo and KCP to Chicago, Chicago sends out Parker(NO)/Dunn(LAL), and New Orleans would've sent us AD for BI/Kuzma/Zubac/picks.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

Dennis Rodman
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Dennis Rodman

Love me some Dennis Rodman.

That award easily goes to Smush Parker...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:

Yes you are right. Thought there had to be some immediate justification to this seemingly head scratching move, at face value the trade is horrendous from a roster construction standpoint and makes the now former FO look incompetent. Adding Jabari to open a roster spot for Melo?

Only justification would be, they were hoping to get Chicago into trade talks, and perhaps a three-way deal for AD would've evolved by the deadline. Perhaps we wanted to send Zo and KCP to Chicago, Chicago sends out Parker(NO)/Dunn(LAL), and New Orleans would've sent us AD for BI/Kuzma/Zubac/picks.

I don't get the reasoning either. Maybe they were just desperate for change. It sounds like they had a deal in place, which had nothing to do with AD, so I think they just wanted Parker to have Parker.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: