News: Magic Steps Down
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 124, 125, 126  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MustardJam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
poppajons wrote:
Here’s a thought.

How about getting playmakers WHO CAN SHOOT
name some that were free agents that we could afford while still having max money? didnt exist but i'll let you go look anyway for fun.

Brook Lopez
Rudy Gay
Vince Carter
Jamal Crawford
Seth Curry
JJ Redick
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sweating this season. I had no expectations of this team magically gelling enough to compete for a Championship even if there were all healthy.

NBA Championships are never won with talent alone...never. It takes cohesiveness, commitment to defense, players buying into the coach, right combination of players/pieces, staying injury free, etc.

Lakers this year had none of these.

I didn't like seeing Randle walk for nothing after he showed serious improvement. The DLO trade was done way too early. Drafting Lonzo above Fox a mistake (Tatum I could understand because we had Ingram and drafted Kuzma). Letting Zubac go suggests brain damage.

Give me Zubac over Chandler (at this stage of his career) every day of the week.

The good news for the Lakers is:

1) Lakers lure in a big time max free agent. Kevin Durant, Kawhi Leonard, Kyrie Irving, Klay Thompson, Jimmy Butler, Nikola Vucevic... if we cannot get any of these players... I would like to see Julius Randle back in LA (I like his physical presence on the court) for less than the max.

2) Lonzo, Ingram, Kuzma, Hart all take a big step forward in their development.

3) Replace Luke Walton with a coach who knows how to win and will have the respect of the players.

4) Magic and Pelinka can replace all those 1 year contracts with players that better compliment LeBron.

5) Lakers may end up with a top 10 draft pick...another solid roster addition.
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Whoever said it was a good idea to trade Zubac for Muscala should be fired
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject:

24ways2die wrote:
Whoever said it was a good idea to trade Zubac for Muscala should be fired
DA1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Hire Jesse Buss & Ryan West
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Pelinka needs to be fired before magic.

Pelinka was gifted the job because of him being kobe's errand boy
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie needs to be fired for making such poor hiring. I guess it's still fine if she actually fires Magic, Rob and Luke this offseason. Otherwise, we need a new owner. I don't wanna go another 20+ years without winning a championship.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject:

MustardJam wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
poppajons wrote:
Here’s a thought.

How about getting playmakers WHO CAN SHOOT
name some that were free agents that we could afford while still having max money? didnt exist but i'll let you go look anyway for fun.

Brook Lopez
Rudy Gay
Vince Carter
Jamal Crawford
Seth Curry
JJ Redick

Gerald Green
Jeff Green
Marco Belinelli (2/$12 but still)
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject:

Give him the summer of 2019 to try to carry out his plan.
statyin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject:

Our only hope is to get another super star to come this summer. If we cannot land one, we are pretty much done.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

That's like saying give JR Smith a chance to be your franchise player. Way too many signs it would be a foolish move at this point.
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject:

statyin wrote:
Our only hope is to get another super star to come this summer. If we cannot land one, we are pretty much done.

Yeah sure...but also, how about actually trying to piece together a TEAM this coming year? A cohesive unit and not buttloads of one year rentals. That ain’t gonna cut it.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject:

Remember when MAgic and Byron said "The Lakers(youngsters) won't take this seriously till one of them gets traded."

Turns out those youngsters were the only ones taking it seriously, as the vets are the ones pouting and throwing tantrums when they're outplayed.

Whoops.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:58 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
tox wrote:

That's like saying give JR Smith a chance to be your franchise player. Way too many signs it would be a foolish move at this point.

Disagree, Magic brought us LeBron. If nothing else he has charisma and pull with superstars. I'm not optimistic at all about what he's going to do in summer but he deserves the opportunity to see it through.

That said I also understand fears about him selling the farm for AD in an attempt to save his job. If that's your argument then I can also agree with that.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:05 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Magic brought us LeBron.

And then his inept FO decisions after that and prior to that are the reason why with leBron the Lakers are neat the 4th worst team in the West, and about to miss the Playoffs for the First time in LeBron's career since 2005.

"Getting LeBron" means nothing if you have no clue what to do with it after or prior.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:29 am    Post subject:

I have a hard time understanding what Magic does and what Pelinka does in the FO. President of BB operations should make the policies (e.g. 2 Max plan), build the structure and get involved in major negotiations (LeBron, Davis,...). GMs handle the technical and daily aspects of the thing.

If Magic is getting involved in minor stuff like trading for Muscala, drafting Moe or signing Stephenson, it's a mistake, that's a GM job to build the roster.

My impression is that Magic gets himself involved in a lot of stuff that are not his business. Pelinka should run it and, if they have no results, fire him.

I'd be totally fine with Magic in a more diplomatic role, giving main directions and inspiring the guys. He doesn't have the skills to judge basketball talent, most of all in this day and age. Being one of the best ever to play the game and recognizing talent are completely different skills.

Pelinka seems to be totally off the scene. He's either making terrible decisions or none at all.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:50 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
I have a hard time understanding what Magic does and what Pelinka does in the FO. President of BB operations should make the policies (e.g. 2 Max plan), build the structure and get involved in major negotiations (LeBron, Davis,...). GMs handle the technical and daily aspects of the thing.

If Magic is getting involved in minor stuff like trading for Muscala, drafting Moe or signing Stephenson, it's a mistake, that's a GM job to build the roster.

My impression is that Magic gets himself involved in a lot of stuff that are not his business. Pelinka should run it and, if they have no results, fire him.

I'd be totally fine with Magic in a more diplomatic role, giving main directions and inspiring the guys. He doesn't have the skills to judge basketball talent, most of all in this day and age. Being one of the best ever to play the game and recognizing talent are completely different skills.

Pelinka seems to be totally off the scene. He's either making terrible decisions or none at all.

I don't have Pelinka as making any major decisions. Paperwork, CBA, contracts etc are the things well outside the scope of what Magic has been exposed to over the decades and those are probably what Magic has him working on.

When Magic went to meet LeBron during the first day (night) of free agency, was Pelinka also there to discuss basketball or only Magic?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:47 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
tox wrote:
Magic brought us LeBron.

And then his inept FO decisions after that and prior to that are the reason why with leBron the Lakers are neat the 4th worst team in the West, and about to miss the Playoffs for the First time in LeBron's career since 2005.

"Getting LeBron" means nothing if you have no clue what to do with it after or prior.

And? I'm not saying Magic is a good exec.
My argument is Magic has shown he can do one thing: bring in a max free agent. If the $38M we're punting goes to a superstar this summer we're sitting pretty. Magic should get this summer to carry that out.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
tox wrote:

Disagree, Magic brought us LeBron. If nothing else he has charisma and pull with superstars. I'm not optimistic at all about what he's going to do in summer but he deserves the opportunity to see it through.

That said I also understand fears about him selling the farm for AD in an attempt to save his job. If that's your argument then I can also agree with that.

After how magic has handled everything this season, he's harmed the chances of the very plan everyone says he needs a chance to carry out. When you reach that level of ineptitude, I'm not sure if he deserves a chance anymore. Even his charisma has taken a hit after looking like a fool with his tampering charges.

Magic has even made Lebron look like a bad signing given what has transpired this season. Forget winning and playoffs, we're at the point where we're looking to have 1-2 wins better than last year's record if at all. How you sign a top 3 player and get to this point is just too much a head scratcher. Even injuries doesn't fly because last year's team also had them as well.

There's just way too many redflags at this point. Even if magic does succeed with the two max plan, he's shown through this season he can still screw up in other area to make such a plan less successful. I don't want to even think what's going to happen if magic does strike out this summer.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
I'm not sweating this season. I had no expectations of this team magically gelling enough to compete for a Championship even if there were all healthy.

NBA Championships are never won with talent alone...never. It takes cohesiveness, commitment to defense, players buying into the coach, right combination of players/pieces, staying injury free, etc.

Lakers this year had none of these.

I didn't like seeing Randle walk for nothing after he showed serious improvement. The DLO trade was done way too early. Drafting Lonzo above Fox a mistake (Tatum I could understand because we had Ingram and drafted Kuzma). Letting Zubac go suggests brain damage.

Give me Zubac over Chandler (at this stage of his career) every day of the week.

The good news for the Lakers is:

1) Lakers lure in a big time max free agent. Kevin Durant, Kawhi Leonard, Kyrie Irving, Klay Thompson, Jimmy Butler, Nikola Vucevic... if we cannot get any of these players... I would like to see Julius Randle back in LA (I like his physical presence on the court) for less than the max.

2) Lonzo, Ingram, Kuzma, Hart all take a big step forward in their development.

3) Replace Luke Walton with a coach who knows how to win and will have the respect of the players.

4) Magic and Pelinka can replace all those 1 year contracts with players that better compliment LeBron.

5) Lakers may end up with a top 10 draft pick...another solid roster addition.

Have to agree with the quote.
Also, Magic and Pelinka have to also consider morale and team building above their 2 max player plan.
The real turning point to the season and downfall was when the FO offered almost the whole team for AD. This seemed to kill the morale and fight of the team.
Sure hope Magic and Pelinka learned from this. They have to or it is curtains.
kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject:

M2K wrote:

you should be sweating because the goal set at the beginning of the season by the players and front office was the just the 8th spot.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

RobinInHood wrote:
statyin wrote:

Yeah sure...but also, how about actually trying to piece together a TEAM this coming year? A cohesive unit and not buttloads of one year rentals. That ain’t gonna cut it.

That's probably what will happen if we can't get another Max player. This year was about putting some guys together as rentals till next summer.
Can't expect much cohesiveness or chemistry when these guys know they'll only be here for 1 year but it was worth the chance to have space for another max. Had PG signed, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
MJST wrote:
tox wrote:
Magic brought us LeBron.

My argument is Magic has shown he can do one thing: bring in a max free agent. If the $38M we're punting goes to a superstar this summer we're sitting pretty. Magic should get this summer to carry that out.

This is where I come down. We really have no choice in the matter. Once Magic made the Russell trade, we were pretty much pot-committed on this strategy. The following moves, including dumping Nance and Randle, and signing Lebron, just made us even more committed. The showdown is coming this summer.

I will just comment, once again, that "max free agent" and "superstar" are different things. I think you realize this, but I'm dreading the day when Magic gives a max contract to Joe Bob Nobody, and some people start claiming that Magic did what he promised.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
tox wrote:

I couldn't agree more, give Magic another off season to screw things up even worse? You've got to be kidding me.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
tox wrote:
MJST wrote:
tox wrote:
Magic brought us LeBron.

This is where I come down. We really have no choice in the matter. Once Magic made the Russell trade, we were pretty much pot-committed on this strategy. The following moves, including dumping Nance and Randle, and signing Lebron, just made us even more committed. The showdown is coming this summer.

I will just comment, once again, that "max free agent" and "superstar" are different things. I think you realize this, but I'm dreading the day when Magic gives a max contract to Joe Bob Nobody, and some people start claiming that Magic did what he promised.

From everything we've seen so far, Magic is going for the homerun, not a double.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 124, 125, 126  Next
Page 7 of 126
Jump to: