News: Magic Steps Down
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 112, 113, 114 ... 124, 125, 126  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GODBE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Did this coward really just come in and wreck the team and then quit because he couldn't handle the criticism?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject:

GODBE wrote:
Did he really just come in and wreck the team and then quit because he couldn't handle the criticism?

Aren't you familiar with his coaching and talk show host career?
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

GODBE wrote:
Did this coward really just come in and wreck the team and then quit because he couldn't handle the criticism?

This.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
GODBE wrote:

This.

I've been out of the loop for a while. Was he even getting a lot criticism? It's not like this is New York or Boston...
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Agreed with everything Will Cain has to say here. Magic Johnson the executive is nothing like the Magic Johnson the player. I don't mind that he stepped downed but the manner in which he resigned without admitting faults and then saying he was unhappy and all was unacceptable.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject:

DLO - Gone
Clarkson - Gone
Nance - Gone
Randle - Gone

Lonzo - 2 (Tatum, Fox, Lauri, Mitchell all available0
Kuzma - 27 (Had 28)
28 for 30 and 41
Hart - 30
Bryant -41 (WAIVED)

Max cap space we always had while keeping above guys guys: LeBron
Max cap space he created: Rondo, Lance, KCP, Beasley

Did not retain Brook and went for Javale instead

Wagner - 25 (Shamet, Robinson both available)
Bonga - 39 ( Kurucs, Diallo, Melton all available)
Svi - 47 (traded for Bullock)

Offers Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, Hart, Picks for AD- REJECTED
Trades Svi and 2nd for Bullock (Good move but Bullock will likely walk)
Trades Beasley and Zubac for Muscala (Terrible move, could have waived Beasley)

Announces, unbeknownst to anyone in the organization, that he's quitting and totally destroys our little be of stability and weakens our ability to recruit this summer.

That's Magic's resume aside from the Lou trade. Aside from drafting of Kuzma, you could argue that everything else was a terrible move. Moved pieces to get a 2nd max spot that has yet to be used and as of now, we have no shot of singing someone who would have been worth those deals. Our trades were bad considering Bullock won't be brought back if we're signing a max player. And our drafting has been solid-good but the has more to do with the scouting team. Magic picked Wagner instead of whoever else the scouts wanted because of his energy.

The dude was a trash exec. Im happy he's gone but terrified of Pelinka by himself.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers face an uphill struggle to get turned around

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2019/04/13/why-lakers-face-uphill-struggle-get-turned-around/X9Oqz0O4gl9SYKxJTF2uuN/story.html
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject:

Bob Myers said he wants no part of the Lakers, along with Pat Riley. Too dysfunctional. Jeanie Might hire Rich Paul to take Magic's place ... Why not. She's already running the franchise into the ground.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Bob Myers said he wants no part of the Lakers, along with Pat Riley. Too dysfunctional. Jeanie Might hire Rich Paul to take Magic's place ... Why not. She's already running the franchise into the ground.

I'd rather Rich Paul run the Lakers than run his agents.

At least his interests and reputation would then coincide with ours.

Let him sink or swim at the highest level. If we win a title... more power to him... if we go down the drain... at least he will be held responsible.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject:

Why would they knowing that Jeanie Buss would be their boss. I am sure she cares and means well, but she is far out of her element. Even her father saw that.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

It has nothing to do with too dysfunctional, it has to do more with what their current situation is. Why would Myers leave the Warriors who are in the mist of possibly winning their 3rd championship? Why would Riley leave Miami where he's been living comfortably for years and is also a top executive with the team? This how the media twists things they use non-factual ideas to create negative stories on the Lakers who seem to be the whipping boy of the league. LBJ was the darling of the NBA while he was in Cleveland, the minute he's steps into LA he's the evil king.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

Link?
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Link?

The source is his butt.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

It has nothing to do with too dysfunctional, it has to do more with what their current situation is. Why would Myers leave the Warriors who are in the mist of possibly winning their 3rd championship? Why would Riley leave Miami where he's been living comfortably for years and is also a top executive with the team? This how the media twists things they use non-factual ideas to create negative stories on the Lakers who seem to be the whipping boy of the league. LBJ was the darling of the NBA while he was in Cleveland, the minute he's steps into LA he's the evil king.

It can be both. The lakers being dysfunctional and myers/riley preferring their current situations aren't mutually exclusive.

If myers/riley suddenly step down from their positions, do you think the media would be calling gsw/mia dysfunctional? Nope because they've proven themselves over the years to be well run organizations with capable owners.

Meanwhile the lakers have been showing signs of dysfunction even before magic quit on them. From their hires, lack of modernization in certain departments and unprofessionalism at times, the lakers have shown to run things like a low tier organization. Add in Jeanie, who's personality, lack of expertise and narrative manipulation brings a lot the table, and you've got a situation the media vultures can't wait to pounce on.

Also Lebron wasn't a darling in Cleveland and suddenly became hated here in LA. He did many of the same things people dislike about him in LA throughout his career. The difference is he won in his previous stints, which silenced his critics to some extent.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Link?

The source is his butt.

It only takes a quick Google search to see that Pat Riley and Bob Myers don't want the position.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/heats-pat-riley-warriors-bob-myers-have-no-interest-in-lakers-vacant-front-office-position/amp/

So no, the source isn't my butt... Whatever that means.
LFAN4LIFE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Link?

Bob Myers doesnt seem interested based of off this interaction....

Quote:
Me: What are you doing here today?

Bob: What do you mean?

Me: Shouldn’t you be having lunch with (Lakers controlling owner) Jeanie Buss?

Bob: Oh, right. Almost forgot. (Looks at his watch) I’m supposed to meet her at 2.

Myers then laughed a laugh that suggests he’s not eager to go anywhere anytime soon, even if there are days and nights when he probably wouldn’t mind.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/bob-myers-laughs-idea-leaving-warriors-lakers-and-good-reason

Neither does Pat Riley...

Quote:
"I mean, I'm not going to comment on another team's misfortune while they're going through some adversity right now," Riley said of the Lakers' current situation on Saturday, via The Athletic. "There's no doubt that I have a history with that team. I was there for 20 years and I have a lot of friends still in the organization. I had a good conversation with Magic after he stepped down and I'm sure they'll work it out. I'm not going to be part of that. That's not what I want to do."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/heats-pat-riley-warriors-bob-myers-have-no-interest-in-lakers-vacant-front-office-position/

Heres an interesting theory. What if jeanie called around and kind of gauge the interest of some of the top executives. And she didn't get much interest in return, which is why she is moving forward with Pelinka and not hiring anyone.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEIVhdUE-kQ

Agreed with everything Will Cain has to say here. Magic Johnson the executive is nothing like the Magic Johnson the player. I don't mind that he stepped downed but the manner in which he resigned without admitting faults and then saying he was unhappy and all was unacceptable.

Why does it even matter how he quit. If he doesn't want to be the Lakers' President why force the guy to be. Life is short like really (bleep)'n short, why spend it on something that's make you unhappy? It's just a job, it's not even an important one
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Why does it even matter how he quit. If he doesn't want to be the Lakers' President why force the guy to be. Life is short like really (bleep)'n short, why spend it on something that's make you unhappy? It's just a job, it's not even an important one

Every time I've seen Will Cain express a view I feel I need a shower afterwards.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Every time I've seen Will Cain express a view I feel I need a shower afterwards.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject:

LFAN4LIFE wrote:

Heres an interesting theory. What if jeanie called around and kind of gauge the interest of some of the top executives. And she didn't get much interest in return, which is why she is moving forward with Pelinka and not hiring anyone.

Much much much much more likely theory: She called around, they asked what was up with Pelinka, she said he's staying, and they hung up.
LFAN4LIFE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
LFAN4LIFE wrote:

Much much much much more likely theory: She called around, they asked what was up with Pelinka, she said he's staying, and they hung up.

Very interesting...I think both theories have a chance at being likely. But if I were a betting man....and I am....I would put my money on your theory.

Hopefully thats not true but we shall see.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject:

Maybe our players will focus more on free throws this summer, rather then getting their bodies to 10 percent body fat.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

And still there are those who defend Magic nonstop re how he handled this. What he basically did was highlight a big red "stay the f away from here" target on the organization. Regardless of what the truth is, just reading outside comments (those from Steve Kerr and now Riley ...and I suppose you can read into Myers laughing) all show to me nba folks (those working in the league) are *perceiving* this franchise as a complete mess. I'm not even counting media. Yes this is a small sample but it's the low hanging fruit and being highlighted left and right.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Clearly you and magic are in agreement. That's fine. If you also want to pretend the way he just up and quit and left innuendo has no potential impact on the organization looking ridiculous in the eyes of potential future lakers that's fine too I suppose. I mean, it's just a game. Who cares? Right?
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Clearly you and magic are in agreement. That's fine. If you also want to pretend the way he just up and quit and left innuendo has no potential impact on the organization looking ridiculous in the eyes of potential future lakers that's fine too I suppose. I mean, it's just a game. Who cares? Right?

By his logic, no one should try really hard at anything if it doesn’t make them presently happy. There is such a thing called duty and honor. Yes I get in the year 2019 these abstract notions are laughed upon and ridiculed by masses. It’s a function of the times. Not too long ago however these principles were the foundation of society.

No one forced Magic to take the job. He did it cause of his supposed love of the Lakers. Every Laker fan needed someone to believe in. He knew he was the chosen one. Ya I get that he has faced unbelievable adversity in his life. More than the majority of the masses. In this instance however, in a vacuum and from the outside looking in it looked like a cowardice act of jumping ship. There is an old saying that is over used and abused. I still believe that underneath the cliche it is fundamentally trivially true no matter the context:

“When the going gets tough, the tough get going”

I lost a ton of respect for him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 112, 113, 114 ... 124, 125, 126  Next
Page 113 of 126
Jump to: