News: Magic Steps Down
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120 ... 124, 125, 126  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
epak wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
John Ireland right now just said that Magic Johnson was actually the person behind our draftees last season.

He said Magic went against the whole room (Ryan West and Jesse Buss?) on who the Lakers should've drafted.

Wow. Wow.
C'mon Magic. Ryan and Jesse have been pretty good the last few years.

I actually suspected this was the case. It was pretty clear from the backstage stuff, pressers, etc. that Magic vetoed.

Wagner is definitely not who Jesse/Ryan recommended.

Magic is a terrible talent evaluator.

Late draft, I think he would have hit gold with Fox over Lonzo. Our Lakers are a dysfunctional franchise man.

$10M per year to tamper, take vacations and veto the hard work of a scouting department with a good track record smdh
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
John Ireland right now just said that Magic Johnson was actually the person behind our draftees last season.

He said Magic went against the whole room (Ryan West and Jesse Buss?) on who the Lakers should've drafted.

SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
You guys have some pretty strong opinions about this mans character and intelligence.

You're also basing it on basketball decisions.. Let that sink in.. Basketball decisions. The insults in here are ridiculous, bunch of grown men in here acting like whinny little brats over a game..

None of you are entitled to anything, he owes you nothing.. nor does the Laker organization.

When that man pulled off the kind of stunt he did a few weeks ago, he pretty much revealed his character and intelligence or lackof in reality.

What magic did on april 9 was so unprofessional, idiotic and classless that it goes it beyond basketball. Anyone who understands what it's like to work in a professional industry would be rolling their eyes and calling said person an idiot if they saw such a scene.

Then throw in all the others like his hot takes and you've got a insult magnet for the next few years. Now we find out magic left because he couldn't handle criticism despite dishing it out to people like DLO and Jim Buss? That's just adding fuel to the fire for his critics .

He doesn't owe us anything true but that stunt magic pulled will always remain a reason for him to be questioned in many aspects regardless of what others feel about him.

Idiotic and classless because he left his job? I've terminated my employment at jobs, many of us have. I'm sure you have friends or relatives that may have done so as well. Do you judge them as harshly? Did he shoot, or maim anyone? Did he degrade the quality of life for anyone?

Being disappointed is one thing.. building a narrative around someone's character based on 2 or 3 events isn't fair at all. Quite sure most of us could be made out to be monsters if we were judged based on some of our shortcomings. I know of many who have been affected by his generosity in urban communities. This picture that you and others are painting doesn't fit who he is in totality.

Aren't we just talking about basketball? Is it really that serious?

You seem determined to make it serious. Othe s understand this is a message board to blow off steam. But by all means continue to feign superiority.

Yea you're right, this board can be used to whine and cry about the exact same thing over and over again.. I expressed how I feel about the commentary on Magic's character considering what he actually does for the Black community.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
bandiger wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
epak wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Wow. Wow.

I actually suspected this was the case. It was pretty clear from the backstage stuff, pressers, etc. that Magic vetoed.

Late draft, I think he would have hit gold with Fox over Lonzo. Our Lakers are a dysfunctional franchise man.

$10M per year to tamper, take vacations and veto the hard work of a scouting department with a good track record smdh

One thing I can always say.
Magic was a great basketball player.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject:

bandiger wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
epak wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Wow. Wow.

We never heard about much dysfunction within Basketball operations but there was dysfunction between bball operations (Jim/Mitch) and business (Jeannie).

Jeannie takes over bball operations and now we have dysfunction within bball operations. Coincidence?!
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Pretty sure he drafted Lonzo tooo...
Return2greatness
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject:

This is hilarious! All respect for magic as a player but he is just Elgin Baylor as an executive in the nba. If he quit over an email then he is softer then charmin. Everyone isn’t going to love you especially once in a position to make decisions. Everyone will always question your moves and performance. You have to have ice in your veins to handle it. Magic is to nice to be a successful pobo. Not that I support pelinka 100 but it to some stones to work magic out of the position. We all knew he was a train wreck and the longer he stayed the worse we would be. See Elgin with clippers. Magic wasn’t cut throat enough to remove pelinka, which shows he isn’t who we need as pobo. Love magic as a player and what he has done for the community, but just cheer the guys from the outside looking in.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Return2greatness wrote:
This is hilarious! All respect for magic as a player but he is just Elgin Baylor as an executive in the nba. If he quit over an email then he is softer then charmin. Everyone isn’t going to love you especially once in a position to make decisions. Everyone will always question your moves and performance. You have to have ice in your veins to handle it. Magic is to nice to be a successful pobo. Not that I support pelinka 100 but it to some stones to work magic out of the position. We all knew he was a train wreck and the longer he stayed the worse we would be. See Elgin with clippers. Magic wasn’t cut throat enough to remove pelinka, which shows he isn’t who we need as pobo. Love magic as a player and what he has done for the community, but just cheer the guys from the outside looking in.

Remember when magic criticized jim buss when he had the job? Or how about when he told players to suck it up during trade rumors?

It's the one thing about magic the executive that deserves the most criticism IMO: he's a big hypocrite. Dishes it out but can't take the heat when someone else dishes it right back.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject:

All the critiques indicate Magic’s departure should do more goods than bads to us and we are heading to the right direction.Yet all we hear from the media is how dysfunctional our team was that made him quit and making us a despicable destination for free agents.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Weren't there rumors we promised Mitchell Robinson?
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
All the critiques indicate Magic’s departure should do more goods than bads to us and we are heading to the right direction.Yet all we hear from the media is how dysfunctional our team was that made him quit and making us a despicable destination for free agents.

Sadly a lot of the fan base have bought into the media narrative.

We're a good free agent signing with complimentary pieces away from contention. In spite of all that has happened.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Any idea who they wanted to draft?
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

I don't completely believe this. Rob is the Michigan guy which is where Wagner went
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:

Having one less stooge doesn't mean much if the FO is still full of them.

Magic departing is only 1/2 the solution. Replacing him with someone qualified is the other and the fact the lakers are going about business without doing so just adds to the dysfunction.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:

Both could be true.

We could be better at drafting and trades and be seen as a dysfunctional destination to free agents.

I mean, who's going to be running the Lakers for the next few years? Pelinka? Riley? Someone else?

It's all unpredictable.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
danzag wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Weren't there rumors we promised Mitchell Robinson?

We had him...but it was said that FO got mad that he mentioned the promise on social media...and thus Wagner.(POOOR POOR BROLO Jr.)..throw up,....come onnnn down...smh.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
danzag wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

I don't completely believe this. Rob is the Michigan guy which is where Wagner went

Magic did over ride the scouts. Here’s what I sent a couple people in private two days after the draft and it still stands:

“Not saying who they wanted at 25 would have ultimately been better, I’m just annoyed that they didn’t get their way. Feel like they earned it the last several years. The guys they all really wanted got picked ahead of them.”

It was awful leadership. Your team spent thousands of hours doing their job. They’ve nailed multiple late round picks. You come in watch a few games, show up at some workouts and over ride their recommendation? That’s not leadership. That’s not collaboration. That’s hubris. That doesn’t inspire people.

Do that over and over with different decisions when you are barely showing up and, yeah, people are going to be unhappy and grumbling behind your back.

Magic should have stuck to his strength using his personality to recruit and craft a positive narrative for the team instead of thinking because he played the game and won rings back in the 80s that he knows more than everyone else. He should have built a culture where everyone is respected, ideas were accepted, and true collaboration exists...instead of one where if the leader gets challenged he rips people a new one, it’s my way or the highway and no healthy collaboration exists. It’s the smile turns off and you better shut up.

We are very lucky he resigned as early into this as he did. Jeanie wouldn’t have let him go for a long time. Yes, he did it in horrible fashion and destroyed the narrative the team had been working hard to build, but ultimately it was a much-needed step in the right direction.
Sago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
danzag wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Magic did over ride the scouts. Here’s what I sent a couple people in private two days after the draft and it still stands:

“Not saying who they wanted at 25 would have ultimately been better, I’m just annoyed that they didn’t get their way. Feel like they earned it the last several years. The guys they all really wanted got picked ahead of them.”

It was awful leadership. Your team spent thousands of hours doing their job. They’ve nailed multiple late round picks. You come in watch a few games, show up at some workouts and over ride their recommendation? That’s not leadership. That’s not collaboration. That’s hubris. That doesn’t inspire people.

Do that over and over with different decisions when you are barely showing up and, yeah, people are going to be unhappy and grumbling behind your back.

Magic should have stuck to his strength using his personality to recruit and craft a positive narrative for the team instead of thinking because he played the game and won rings back in the 80s that he knows more than everyone else. He should have built a culture where everyone is respected, ideas were accepted, and true collaboration exists...instead of one where if the leader gets challenged he rips people a new one, it’s my way or the highway and no healthy collaboration exists. It’s the smile turns off and you better shut up.

We are very lucky he resigned as early into this as he did. Jeanie wouldn’t have let him go for a long time. Yes, he did it in horrible fashion and destroyed the narrative the team had been working hard to build, but ultimately it was a much-needed step in the right direction.

What’s your take with Pelinka staying?

Is he just a one man show? Would he collaborate with Jesse and the othe FO members?
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
You guys have some pretty strong opinions about this mans character and intelligence.

You're also basing it on basketball decisions.. Let that sink in.. Basketball decisions. The insults in here are ridiculous, bunch of grown men in here acting like whinny little brats over a game..

None of you are entitled to anything, he owes you nothing.. nor does the Laker organization.

When that man pulled off the kind of stunt he did a few weeks ago, he pretty much revealed his character and intelligence or lackof in reality.

What magic did on april 9 was so unprofessional, idiotic and classless that it goes it beyond basketball. Anyone who understands what it's like to work in a professional industry would be rolling their eyes and calling said person an idiot if they saw such a scene.

Then throw in all the others like his hot takes and you've got a insult magnet for the next few years. Now we find out magic left because he couldn't handle criticism despite dishing it out to people like DLO and Jim Buss? That's just adding fuel to the fire for his critics .

He doesn't owe us anything true but that stunt magic pulled will always remain a reason for him to be questioned in many aspects regardless of what others feel about him.

Idiotic and classless because he left his job? I've terminated my employment at jobs, many of us have. I'm sure you have friends or relatives that may have done so as well. Do you judge them as harshly? Did he shoot, or maim anyone? Did he degrade the quality of life for anyone?

Being disappointed is one thing.. building a narrative around someone's character based on 2 or 3 events isn't fair at all. Quite sure most of us could be made out to be monsters if we were judged based on some of our shortcomings. I know of many who have been affected by his generosity in urban communities. This picture that you and others are painting doesn't fit who he is in totality.

You seem determined to make it serious. Othe s understand this is a message board to blow off steam. But by all means continue to feign superiority.

Yea you're right, this board can be used to whine and cry about the exact same thing over and over again.. I expressed how I feel about the commentary on Magic's character considering what he actually does for the Black community.

Why the race card? This is a basketball fan site not a black community site. People should be allowed to criticize Magic's poor performance as a basketball manager regardless of what he does outside of his basketball role. Would you care if people called him lazy or an idiot at his job, if he was white?
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Why the race card? This is a basketball fan site not a black community site. People should be allowed to criticize Magic's poor performance as a basketball manager regardless of what he does outside of his basketball role. Would you care if people called him lazy or an idiot at his job, if he was white?

Yup charity work is no excuse not to call out bad behavior. That's part of the reason ideas like racism still exist today.

Magic doing good work for the black community doesn't excuse him from acting however he wants regardless of his role. If he's doing things that could be considered classless and idiotic then he deserves the criticism that comes along with it.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

I don't want to keep going back and forth on this issue but I'll respond..

What's been said about him extends beyond basketball. Take Dancing Barry's latest post for example. No personal insults about his character, just an honest assessment of Magic's poor performance as an NBA executive.

I don't feel like digging up all the derogatory comments that have been made, but you can review the thread to find them. In light of who he is outside of basketball, that rhetoric is over the top.

I'm glad he's no longer PBO btw..
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
twisted wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

What's been said about him extends beyond basketball. Take Dancing Barry's latest post for example. No personal insults about his character, just an honest assessment of Magic's poor performance as an NBA executive.

I don't feel like digging up all the derogatory comments that have been made, but you can review the thread to find them. In light of who he is outside of basketball, that rhetoric is over the top.

Agreed. As an African American let's please not make this about race. America has deep seated racial problems that extend far beyond Magic. We all, black, white, Latin and Asian, welcomed him in with open arms when he took over as PBO. He will always be my favorite player and a person I look up to for building businesses in my community and employing black people in executive positions....but his moves as a Laker exec were short-sighted and it was clearly a job he was not suited for. I'm not going to let that ruin my image of him as a great man and pillar of the community, but in life we all must know our limitations and this was an instance where he didn't know his. If anything, I give him props for tapping out when he realized he was in over his head. We've all failed at things in our life, but at least Magic was smart enough to not hang on for dear life and drag us all down with him.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject:

@Kwase Yep, I'm glad he stepped down. Unfortunately I don't think he did it because he recognized he wasn't good at his job. lol

Ultimately, we are better now. Even though there are still some structural issues.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
twisted wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Go back and read the threads on Jim and Mitch. Its a lakers site if you suck at your job you will get bashed. Race has absolutely nothing to do with it
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
twisted wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Go back and read the threads on Jim and Mitch. Its a lakers site if you suck at your job you will get bashed. Race has absolutely nothing to do with it

May wan't to take another look at my posts.. "Saying race has nothing to do with it" Indicates a lack of understanding in regards to what I'm communicating.

Again..... In light of what he does for the Black community, some of the personal insults on his character, and who he is as a man don't line up with who he actually is outside of basketball.

I made no reference to his ethnicity.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120 ... 124, 125, 126  Next
Page 119 of 126
Jump to: