News: Magic Steps Down
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 124, 125, 126  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
twisted wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
You guys have some pretty strong opinions about this mans character and intelligence.

You're also basing it on basketball decisions.. Let that sink in.. Basketball decisions. The insults in here are ridiculous, bunch of grown men in here acting like whinny little brats over a game..

None of you are entitled to anything, he owes you nothing.. nor does the Laker organization.

When that man pulled off the kind of stunt he did a few weeks ago, he pretty much revealed his character and intelligence or lackof in reality.

What magic did on april 9 was so unprofessional, idiotic and classless that it goes it beyond basketball. Anyone who understands what it's like to work in a professional industry would be rolling their eyes and calling said person an idiot if they saw such a scene.

Then throw in all the others like his hot takes and you've got a insult magnet for the next few years. Now we find out magic left because he couldn't handle criticism despite dishing it out to people like DLO and Jim Buss? That's just adding fuel to the fire for his critics .

He doesn't owe us anything true but that stunt magic pulled will always remain a reason for him to be questioned in many aspects regardless of what others feel about him.

Idiotic and classless because he left his job? I've terminated my employment at jobs, many of us have. I'm sure you have friends or relatives that may have done so as well. Do you judge them as harshly? Did he shoot, or maim anyone? Did he degrade the quality of life for anyone?

Being disappointed is one thing.. building a narrative around someone's character based on 2 or 3 events isn't fair at all. Quite sure most of us could be made out to be monsters if we were judged based on some of our shortcomings. I know of many who have been affected by his generosity in urban communities. This picture that you and others are painting doesn't fit who he is in totality.

Aren't we just talking about basketball? Is it really that serious?

You seem determined to make it serious. Othe s understand this is a message board to blow off steam. But by all means continue to feign superiority.

Yea you're right, this board can be used to whine and cry about the exact same thing over and over again.. I expressed how I feel about the commentary on Magic's character considering what he actually does for the Black community.

Why the race card? This is a basketball fan site not a black community site. People should be allowed to criticize Magic's poor performance as a basketball manager regardless of what he does outside of his basketball role. Would you care if people called him lazy or an idiot at his job, if he was white?

I don't want to keep going back and forth on this issue but I'll respond..

What's been said about him extends beyond basketball. Take Dancing Barry's latest post for example. No personal insults about his character, just an honest assessment of Magic's poor performance as an NBA executive.

I don't feel like digging up all the derogatory comments that have been made, but you can review the thread to find them. In light of who he is outside of basketball, that rhetoric is over the top.

I'm glad he's no longer PBO btw..

Agreed. As an African American let's please not make this about race. America has deep seated racial problems that extend far beyond Magic. We all, black, white, Latin and Asian, welcomed him in with open arms when he took over as PBO. He will always be my favorite player and a person I look up to for building businesses in my community and employing black people in executive positions....but his moves as a Laker exec were short-sighted and it was clearly a job he was not suited for. I'm not going to let that ruin my image of him as a great man and pillar of the community, but in life we all must know our limitations and this was an instance where he didn't know his. If anything, I give him props for tapping out when he realized he was in over his head. We've all failed at things in our life, but at least Magic was smart enough to not hang on for dear life and drag us all down with him.

The problem is when posters start throwing implications because they can't argue or handle the criticism of certain individuals.

It's not only with Magic, we see this with Jeanie as well. Sexism has been implied for her criticisms despite them relating to her job as Laker's owner. A good example is her being emotional implicated as a sexist remark when in reality people can point on seperate occasions and how it harms the Lakers.

As many have said, this is a sports message board. Racism/Sexism is pretty much against the TOS, so naturally it's going to be assumed most opinions are not going to contain a hint of them unless it's painfully obvious.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject:

There was no hint at all of me implying racism. Stay out of left field.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject:

anyone else missing Magic already? His plan was to fire Luke and Pelinka and get some competent people in place which I have no issues with. And he would have kept this whole Rambis influence at bay.
now we have too many rats with different agendas trying to run everything.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/magicstweets/status/1126248286782754816?s=21
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
anyone else missing Magic already? His plan was to fire Luke and Pelinka and get some competent people in place which I have no issues with. And he would have kept this whole Rambis influence at bay.

If that was his plan, he still could have left better.

The way he did it was not good.
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Magic never should of been hired in the first place.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

Not even the slightest bit. Glad he's gone. Too bad we're still stuck with Jeanie tho
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

Pelinka seems to be doing well without Magic.

Coach Wooden
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

Magic was the biggest rat himself. I have an extremely difficult time separating one of my childhood heroes and the front office executive. I will always love the player, but I cannot at this time, forgive the man for the S show mess he created and left us with.

We are great despite his mess.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject:

We don't need to dig up the past. What's done is done. We're doing great right now so just enjoy it.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
We don't need to dig up the past. What's done is done. We're doing great right now so just enjoy it.

Not at all. After all he did step down and allowed others to run the show perhaps that is what allowed the franchise to do well.

I am sure us as well as him only care that the Lakers are doing well now.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject:

SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

And with Klutch. They have that agent brotherhood.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

And with Klutch. They have that agent brotherhood.

Brooklyn worked with Roc Nation and landed the two biggest free agents of the offseason. This is the way of the future.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject:

I'm very confused how Magic quite possibly has/had the highest basketball IQ ever and yet was this bad as a coach and team executive. Does transcendent court vision not translate to transcendent ability to evaluate talent?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I'm very confused how Magic quite possibly has/had the highest basketball IQ ever and yet was this bad as a coach and team executive. Does transcendent court vision not translate to transcendent ability to evaluate talent?

I don't think it does. Interesting thing some of these great coaches like Phil Jackson weren't great players. And plenty of great players weren't great coaches.

It just might not be related or perhaps those who struggle more as a player end up being great coaches or executives because they can easily see the struggles an average to perhaps slightly above average player goes through.

Even more interesting is Magic was taken under the wing of Jerry Buss where he taught him about business and this started his rookie year. Yet that was not enough to make a good executive.

Although Magic maybe a good business man in general as I think he had some good successes in some business ventures..but don't quote me as I haven't exactly kept on his all of business ventures.

Last edited by lar9149 on Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

I think he had great intelligence and vision - to be able to see that Lebron needed AD. This was not Jeanie's idea. And yes, I know it's easy to say "just get me 2 stars and we will win". But Magic had some vision and understanding to know that if he sold all his cards for AD and Lebron, it would be worth it.

Where Magic stunk was the smaller moves. He didn't really either want to invest the time into going into the details of that, or whatever it was. I think Rob is good in this. As we have seen this season, we have put together some quality role players with Rob running the show.

I do think without Magic neither Lebron or AD are Lakers. It needed to be the way it went down. First domino, Lebron. That was through Magic believing and selling the FAs on LA. Sure it took luck, as Lebron wanted to be in LA to shoot his movie and put his kids in school there. Still, he could have gone to the Clippers or another Cali team. There was connections made and meetings that sealed the deal that I give Magic credit for. Then once you have Lebron, Rob was sharp enough to know the agent game, and to get Rich Paul on his side that AD was recruited.

I think the AD/Lebron pairing was a vision that Magic, Rob and Klutch came up with, and I do think they deserve some credit, as not everyone does it the way the Lakers have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Short term vision vs Long term vision

Direct control vs planting seeds
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject:

The team is way better off now than it was before Magic took over. You can argue he had nothing to do with that if you want, but I'm glad that he helped clear out Jim and his trash and that the franchise has moved in the right direction.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
The team is way better off now than it was before Magic took over. You can argue he had nothing to do with that if you want, but I'm glad that he helped clear out Jim and his trash and that the franchise has moved in the right direction.
either way it worked out for us.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject:

Magic has little to nothing to do with where we are... in fact, he tried to sabotage the entire franchise when he suddenly left. I'd say we're winning despite him.
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject:

That ESPN's interview the day of Vogel's introduction was nasty.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
Magic has little to nothing to do with where we are... in fact, he tried to sabotage the entire franchise when he suddenly left. I'd say we're winning despite him.

Yes it was LBJ that wanted Davis. Seems pretty obvious since AD switched agency's to Klutch this had been in the works with him and LBJ.

Coach Wooden
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject:

SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

Yes it was LBJ that wanted Davis. Seems pretty obvious since AD switched agency's to Klutch this had been in the works with him and LBJ.

and here we are.
GO LAKERS ; 21 - 3!!
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

and here we are.
GO LAKERS ; 21 - 3!!

Coach Wooden
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject:

Latest from Bill Plaschke.

Magic Johnson no longer serves the Lakers, but he sees his signature on their success

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/story/2019-12-18/lakers-magic-johnson-success-helping-community-rob-pelinka

Quote:
”This team would not be in the position it’s in without me,” he says.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 124, 125, 126  Next
Page 120 of 126
Jump to: