News: Magic Steps Down
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117 ... 124, 125, 126  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Username wrote:
So... he gave her the power, but didn't expect her to ever actually using it?

Look, Dr. Buss had a soft spot for Jim. He overlooked a lot of shortcomings that others saw in Jim. He badly wanted him to succeed. But he didn't name Jim his successor, he named Jeanie his successor. And the power that comes with that means that she could ultimately pull the plug on Jim if she saw fit. Dr. Buss knew that. And if he didn't want that, he wouldn't have given Jeanie that responsibility.

Eh. He was an old man who wanted his kids to run the team. It's a classic second generation scenario. I'm not quite sure why some of you are determined to defend Jeanie, when pretty much everything she has done since Dr. Buss died has been detrimental to the franchise. I like to think that she'll learn from her mistakes, but she isn't showing encouraging signs.

It’s not about defending her, but the reality of the situation is that she’s the owner and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Yes, Jerry loved his kids. But he was also a smart, astute businessman who built the Lakers into the league’s premiere franchise. If he didn’t think Jeanie was capable of carrying that mantle, I don’t think he would have given her control of the franchise.

What she does with it remains to be seen, but to say that “everything she has done” has been detrimental is extremely unfair, and completely untrue. The biggest detriment to the organization was letting Jim play fake GM for as long as he did. We’re here arguing about whether or not she should have asserted her authority on Jim, but the fact is she should have done it much sooner.

She is one of 7 majority owners, the Lakers are not her team. If her siblings want to act, she would no longer be in charge. Luckily for her they seem to care more about that check than the organization. That is why money isn’t being spent on things like analytics, sports science and player development. That is money out of their pockets. I still believe that them paying luxury tax is a dream.

And that's why Pelinka is the last man standing. Jeannie doesn't want to pay for 2 GMs. They are out of Magics and Luke's contracts. Look for Pelinka to be the defacto POBO. It wouldn't surprise me.

I’m with you. They may elevate someone within. Rambis, West etc. Also since it appears LeBron is cool with all this I’m almost certain Rich Paul and Pelinka for the next 2 years will execute whatever LeBron needs. Starting with a coach of his desire. What’s the point of getting a GM when they’ll have two with Rob and Klutch.....is probably what Jeanie’s thinking.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Username wrote:
So... he gave her the power, but didn't expect her to ever actually using it?

Look, Dr. Buss had a soft spot for Jim. He overlooked a lot of shortcomings that others saw in Jim. He badly wanted him to succeed. But he didn't name Jim his successor, he named Jeanie his successor. And the power that comes with that means that she could ultimately pull the plug on Jim if she saw fit. Dr. Buss knew that. And if he didn't want that, he wouldn't have given Jeanie that responsibility.

Eh. He was an old man who wanted his kids to run the team. It's a classic second generation scenario. I'm not quite sure why some of you are determined to defend Jeanie, when pretty much everything she has done since Dr. Buss died has been detrimental to the franchise. I like to think that she'll learn from her mistakes, but she isn't showing encouraging signs.

It’s not about defending her, but the reality of the situation is that she’s the owner and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Yes, Jerry loved his kids. But he was also a smart, astute businessman who built the Lakers into the league’s premiere franchise. If he didn’t think Jeanie was capable of carrying that mantle, I don’t think he would have given her control of the franchise.

What she does with it remains to be seen, but to say that “everything she has done” has been detrimental is extremely unfair, and completely untrue. The biggest detriment to the organization was letting Jim play fake GM for as long as he did. We’re here arguing about whether or not she should have asserted her authority on Jim, but the fact is she should have done it much sooner.

She is one of 7 majority owners, the Lakers are not her team. If her siblings want to act, she would no longer be in charge. Luckily for her they seem to care more about that check than the organization. That is why money isn’t being spent on things like analytics, sports science and player development. That is money out of their pockets. I still believe that them paying luxury tax is a dream.

And that's why Pelinka is the last man standing. Jeannie doesn't want to pay for 2 GMs. They are out of Magics and Luke's contracts. Look for Pelinka to be the defacto POBO. It wouldn't surprise me.

I’m with you. They may elevate someone within. Rambis, West etc. Also since it appears LeBron is cool with all this I’m almost certain Rich Paul and Pelinka for the next 2 years will execute whatever LeBron needs. Starting with a coach of his desire. What’s the point of getting a GM when they’ll have two with Rob and Klutch.....is probably what Jeanie’s thinking.

Please i hope not...I would have to wait for Lebronny to get the hockey sticks on before the Lakers can actually start back on the right track....man i hope thats not the future.

Pres: LEKing
GM: LLEKing
Coach: LEKing
TEAM:LEKing

...oh smh
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
What you're saying could be right. Just wondering though... if they cared more about a check, wouldn't it make more sense to sell the Lakers and get a huge lump sum to spend as they please rather than a $5-10m profit-sharing check every year? Forbes values the Lakers franchise at $4 Billion. The Buss family owns 66%. If they got a buyer at that price, 66% of 4,000,000,000 divided between the 6 siblings is $440 Million each.

I didn't realize the Lakers were worth so much as a franchise until I just looked it up. Where there is so much money at stake, there will always be vultures circling around.

That is why Johnnie and Jimmy want to sell, but as I posted in PBO thread, there is no incentive for Jeanie, Jesse and Joey to sell - ultimately the younger two make more money staying in the trust.

Once the team is sold, if the trust is dissolved, they'll likely have to pay capital gains taxes on the sale, plus some other stuff. Let's say theyeach walk away with a cool $400 million. If they put it away very safely and get a modest 5% return, that's $20 million bucks a year forever. Not bad.

For Jesse and Joey, however, that may not be enough of an incentive, because ultimately the entire family stake becomes theirs. They are already getting an annual payout from the Trust PLUS they are both on the Lakers Payroll, so they can wait for the team to appreciate and for the payouts to increase naturally, as well as getting bigger chunks when a sibling dies.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
What you're saying could be right. Just wondering though... if they cared more about a check, wouldn't it make more sense to sell the Lakers and get a huge lump sum to spend as they please rather than a $5-10m profit-sharing check every year? Forbes values the Lakers franchise at $4 Billion. The Buss family owns 66%. If they got a buyer at that price, 66% of 4,000,000,000 divided between the 6 siblings is $440 Million each.

I didn't realize the Lakers were worth so much as a franchise until I just looked it up. Where there is so much money at stake, there will always be vultures circling around.

That is why Johnnie and Jimmy want to sell, but as I posted in PBO thread, there is no incentive for Jeanie, Jesse and Joey to sell - ultimately the younger two make more money staying in the trust.

Once the team is sold, if the trust is dissolved, they'll likely have to pay capital gains taxes on the sale, plus some other stuff. Let's say theyeach walk away with a cool $400 million. If they put it away very safely and get a modest 5% return, that's $20 million bucks a year forever. Not bad.

For Jesse and Joey, however, that may not be enough of an incentive, because ultimately the entire family stake becomes theirs. They are already getting an annual payout from the Trust PLUS they are both on the Lakers Payroll, so they can wait for the team to appreciate and for the payouts to increase naturally, as well as getting bigger chunks when a sibling dies.

You have 2 things, lots of money, and a very rare, valuable item. If you sell the valuable item, you are left with only 1 thing, more money. You're already set for life, it makes 0 sense to me why any of them would want to sell.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:

The Buss family cares deeply about the Lakers. Now, it's arguable how Jeanie will do long-term without being saddled with her brother. We've only had a couple of years since Jim got canned. People can critique her moves now, but she's really only exercised her true authority the last couple of seasons.

The grass isn't always greener in a sale situation. You can wind up getting an owner who doesn't care about the on-court product and uses it strictly as a status symbol, or a no-nothing owner who thinks they know more than they do, and inserts themselves in the middle of every transaction.

We saw it with the Dodgers for over a decade before they ended up with their current ownership.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:

The Buss family cares deeply about the Lakers. Now, it's arguable how Jeanie will do long-term without being saddled with her brother. We've only had a couple of years since Jim got canned. People can critique her moves now, but she's really only exercised her true authority the last couple of seasons.

The grass isn't always greener in a sale situation. You can wind up getting an owner who doesn't care about the on-court product and uses it strictly as a status symbol, or a no-nothing owner who thinks they know more than they do, and inserts themselves in the middle of every transaction.

We saw it with the Dodgers for over a decade before they ended up with their current ownership.

This is honestly what I'm most worried about, it's happened endless times in sports. At least with the "family business" we know the Buss family will do whatever it takes to win.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Has Magic told Jeannie yet?
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:

Apparently he speaks to her daily about team business.
https://www.tmz.com/2019/04/21/magic-johnson-lakers-resigns-president-working-love-lebron-james-jeanie-buss/
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject:

Seeing magic's twitter is hillarious.

Hopefully those "quitter" responses keep feeding magic some humble pie. If he just keeps thanking others and utters not one take of basketball, then social media has done its job.

Unlike his talkshow/coaching gig, magic quit in a time where social media is rampant. It won't be forgetten anytime soon as he literally"memed" himself into such a situation.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:

https://www.tmz.com/2019/04/21/magic-johnson-lakers-resigns-president-working-love-lebron-james-jeanie-buss/

Magic is still working for the Lakers, he just made it look like he's officially out. Doing business this way he can talk to all the players and get the inside on FA's and not have to worry about the tampering rules. Before he quit I was actually thinking this was the perfect way to go around all this stuff and do your negotiations under the table. I wonder how many others are doing the same. I just wished Magic would shut his mouth about what he does.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject:

Magic doesn't need the money and scrutiny that comes with being PBO. He's more valuable as a back channel between the Lakers and other players, and doesn't have to work under restrictions.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:

Damn man, as much as I wanna be mad at Magic his charisma is something else lol. He might be a doofus, but he's OUR dufus
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject:

Love Magic as a basketball player, but as management he cant seem to keep his mouth shut. All quiet in Lakerland after the big mouth quits from the job. Just the way it should be, too many names being mentioned in public that is leading to bad results.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject:

in hindsight was Magic right all along?
he wanted to fire Luke... this is a no-brainer he needed to go
he wanted to fire Pelinka... so far there's been nothing but negativity around the job he's been doing so far

Im not saying Magic was a good President for the Lakers but it seems he had the right bullet points down... sign elite stars, dont lock up cap space on losers in desperation, get rid of people who are not working out (Luke,Pelinka)
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject:

^LOL no

He lost any benefit of the doubt as an executive after pulling that clownshow.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Username wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:

This is honestly what I'm most worried about, it's happened endless times in sports. At least with the "family business" we know the Buss family will do whatever it takes to win.

We don't know that, and they haven't been doing that. They have each been looking for their own best interests, Jeanie sabotaging Jim, refusing to bring in experienced pros to run the team. Doing pretty much everything on the cheap, failing to spend profits on the organization. They have a lot to learn but choose not to bring in someone who they can learn from. Most businesses run by children who had no part of building the business that their parent did, eventually fail. Thanks to Dr. Buss landing the TWC deal, it is doubtful that they lose money, but it wouldn't be a surprise to see them fail on the floor.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:

You have 2 things, lots of money, and a very rare, valuable item. If you sell the valuable item, you are left with only 1 thing, more money. You're already set for life, it makes 0 sense to me why any of them would want to sell.

Sometimes its more than just money. Each of the siblings gets a multi-million dollar payday, but the family is important in certain social circles because they own something of value. That may be why they won't be selling anytime soon, if ever.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
K2 wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:

Magic is still working for the Lakers, he just made it look like he's officially out. Doing business this way he can talk to all the players and get the inside on FA's and not have to worry about the tampering rules. Before he quit I was actually thinking this was the perfect way to go around all this stuff and do your negotiations under the table. I wonder how many others are doing the same. I just wished Magic would shut his mouth about what he does.

It isn't the perfect way, it is against NBA rules. If Magic talks to Jeanie daily and is then seen smoozing FAs, all it would take is someone to file a complaint with the commissioner's office and we would be subject to another investigation.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject:

So is there any truth to the whole email BCC thing Buchner reporter?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/magicjohnson/status/1121440636215779328?s=21

Oh boy...
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Oh boy...

Quote:
Earvin Magic Johnson
@MagicJohnson
The truth will always come to light 😊

I wonder if he's referring to the Rob/Jeannie email rumor, the Luke civil suit or the LeBron "no it's not" Instagram post.

Please please please be about the Instagram post.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Oh boy...

This imbecile needs to shut his trap, he’s already screwed us over enough with his piss poor decisions during his worthless tenure. No one is interested in hearing anything you have to say Magic, you gave us signs you were a moron with your tweets, but if anyone had doubts it was unequivocally confirmed during your POBO term.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Oh boy...

NOTHING TO SEE HERE EVERYTHING IS FINE PROBABLY NOT EVEN LAKER RELATED
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Oh boy...

Quote:
Earvin Magic Johnson
@MagicJohnson

I wonder if he's referring to the Rob/Jeannie email rumor, the Luke civil suit or the LeBron "no it's not" Instagram post.

So real talk in this sad real life Lakers attempt at game of thrones, we need Night King (maybe Silver) to come in and burn the whole place down.

It would be nice to not see a Buss, Pelinka, Rambis, Johnson, Klutch anywhere near Lakeland.

Edit: and how stupid is Jeanie going to get retweeting immediately after Magic’s tweet smh

https://twitter.com/jnavla/status/1121447972519104517?s=21
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
epak wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Oh boy...

Quote:
Earvin Magic Johnson
@MagicJohnson

So real talk in this sad real life Lakers attempt at game of thrones, we need Night King (maybe Silver) to come in and burn the whole place down.

It would be nice to not see a Buss, Pelinka, Rambis, Johnson, Klutch anywhere near Lakeland.

Edit: and how stupid is Jeanie going to get retweeting immediately after Magic’s tweet smh

https://twitter.com/jnavla/status/1121447972519104517?s=21

Jeanie doesn't seem competent to be running the Lakers. Understand she's the Lakers owner and can't be fired. But she needs to be a hands-off owner. She's too closely invested and makes piss-poor decisions on whatever she is basing her decisions (Linda Rambis for all we know).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117 ... 124, 125, 126  Next
Page 116 of 126
Jump to: