News: Magic Steps Down
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 124, 125, 126  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject:

bfc1125roy wrote:
Anyone who works in a "corporate" environment knows emails get forwarded around all the time. It's not unthinkable for Magic to be sent emails where others are critiquing him.

What would baffle me more is someone like Pelinka saying that type of crap on an email. That is a pretty "amateur hour" look and worrisome if true. Everyone knows that if you want to criticize someone, especially your boss, and that too to your boss's boss, you do it in person or on the phone. Not on an email.

Oh, what was in the email? Share the goods.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
You guys have some pretty strong opinions about this mans character and intelligence.

You're also basing it on basketball decisions.. Let that sink in.. Basketball decisions. The insults in here are ridiculous, bunch of grown men in here acting like whinny little brats over a game..

None of you are entitled to anything, he owes you nothing.. nor does the Laker organization.

When that man pulled off the kind of stunt he did a few weeks ago, he pretty much revealed his character and intelligence or lackof in reality.

What magic did on april 9 was so unprofessional, idiotic and classless that it goes it beyond basketball. Anyone who understands what it's like to work in a professional industry would be rolling their eyes and calling said person an idiot if they saw such a scene.

Then throw in all the others like his hot takes and you've got a insult magnet for the next few years. Now we find out magic left because he couldn't handle criticism despite dishing it out to people like DLO and Jim Buss? That's just adding fuel to the fire for his critics .

He doesn't owe us anything true but that stunt magic pulled will always remain a reason for him to be questioned in many aspects regardless of what others feel about him.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
You guys have some pretty strong opinions about this mans character and intelligence.

You're also basing it on basketball decisions.. Let that sink in.. Basketball decisions. The insults in here are ridiculous, bunch of grown men in here acting like whinny little brats over a game..

None of you are entitled to anything, he owes you nothing.. nor does the Laker organization.

When that man pulled off the kind of stunt he did a few weeks ago, he pretty much revealed his character and intelligence or lackof in reality.

What magic did on april 9 was so unprofessional, idiotic and classless that it goes it beyond basketball. Anyone who understands what it's like to work in a professional industry would be rolling their eyes and calling said person an idiot if they saw such a scene.

Then throw in all the others like his hot takes and you've got a insult magnet for the next few years. Now we find out magic left because he couldn't handle criticism despite dishing it out to people like DLO and Jim Buss? That's just adding fuel to the fire for his critics .

He doesn't owe us anything true but that stunt magic pulled will always remain a reason for him to be questioned in many aspects regardless of what others feel about him.

Idiotic and classless because he left his job? I've terminated my employment at jobs, many of us have. I'm sure you have friends or relatives that may have done so as well. Do you judge them as harshly? Did he shoot, or maim anyone? Did he degrade the quality of life for anyone?

Being disappointed is one thing.. building a narrative around someone's character based on 2 or 3 events isn't fair at all. Quite sure most of us could be made out to be monsters if we were judged based on some of our shortcomings. I know of many who have been affected by his generosity in urban communities. This picture that you and others are painting doesn't fit who he is in totality.

Aren't we just talking about basketball? Is it really that serious?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Idiotic and classless because he left his job? I've terminated my employment at jobs, many of us have. I'm sure you have friends or relatives that may have done so as well. Do you judge them as harshly? Did he shoot, or maim anyone? Did he degrade the quality of life for anyone?

Being disappointed is one thing.. building a narrative around someone's character based on 2 or 3 events isn't fair at all. Quite sure most of us could be made out to be monsters if we were judged based on some of our shortcomings. I know of many who have been affected by his generosity in urban communities. This picture that you and others are painting doesn't fit who he is in totality.

Why so sensitive?

Yeah, Magic quitting over emails is an idiotic thing to do.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Why so sensitive?

Is that really the appropriate word?

Me expressing how overblown the commentary in here is, hardly qualifies as being sensitive.

Making poor basketball decisions shouldn't lead anyone to make sweeping character judgments.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Why so sensitive?

Me expressing how overblown the commentary in here is, hardly qualifies as being sensitive.

Making poor basketball decisions shouldn't lead anyone to make sweeping character judgments.

Bro, it's a message board and people are pissed at the state of our team. Don't get why you jump in every FO bashing thread and try to police everyone.

And yes, Magic deserves all the criticism he gets for all the bs he's pulled. Idiotic is more than an appropriate word to describe him.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Serious question: is the franchise crumbling right before our very eyes?

FA's seem to not have interest despite LeBron
Coaches and PBO's are being told not to take the job
Magic quit because of inner turmoil/drama
Our GM has a bad rep according to reports
Young players leave and flourish
We're relying on family/friends to advise
League worst & underfunded departments

Just feels like every day is some new negative story and the optics are pretty bad. This feels like the icing on the cake-- email drama. Good lord.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

He's idiotic and classless for quitting his job in such a fashion. When most people quit, they either follow protocol or tell their boss first. They also don't announce it in an unexpected fashion for the whole world to see first hand before the company has a chance. Did your friends and family ever go on their local tv station or print out an ad in the newspaper to say their quitting their job before telling their boss? That's why most people don't get judged harshly.

Building a narrative about his character based on 2 or 3 events? You mean how like how magic tried to build the narrative of DLO's character with 1 statement? Or how about when magic tried to build the narrative on jim buss's character by criticizing how he's doing his job?

Lol what magic has done doesn't mean he's exempt from being called out. Magic has conducted himself in a manner deserving of criticism at times despite doing some good things. Calling him classless and idiotic for quitting in such a fashion isn't making him out as a monster. Despite recent events, you don't see people for example attacking magic's accomplishments as a player.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Why so sensitive?

Bro, it's a message board and people are pissed at the state of our team. Don't get why you jump in every FO bashing thread and try to police everyone.

And yes, Magic deserves all the criticism he gets for all the bs he's pulled. Idiotic is more than an appropriate word to describe him.

Not policing.. you guys have at it.. I'm just expressing how ridiculous some of you sound with all the crying.. How many times are you going to complain about the exact same thing? Over and over and over again.. I'm honestly surprised at it, considering this board is populated by adult males.

It's unbecoming in my opinion. And let's not just latch on to the word idiotic as if that's all that's been said. That man has done quite a bit for the Black community, his failure as a basketball executive is small potatoes.

You guys have crossed the line so often in here, you don't even realize how over the top it is.

If I stand alone so be it.. I don't like the hit job you guys are doing on this mans character over basketball, in light of what he actually does to improve the standard of living for the Black community.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

He's idiotic and classless for quitting his job in such a fashion. When most people quit, they either follow protocol or tell their boss first. They also don't announce it in an unexpected fashion for the whole world to see first hand before the company has a chance. Did your friends and family ever go on their local tv station or print out an ad in the newspaper to say their quitting their job before telling their boss? That's why most people don't get judged harshly.

Building a narrative about his character based on 2 or 3 events? You mean how like how magic tried to build the narrative of DLO's character with 1 statement? Or how about when magic tried to build the narrative on jim buss's character by criticizing how he's doing his job?

Lol what magic has done doesn't mean he's exempt from being called out. Magic has conducted himself in a manner deserving of criticism at times despite doing some good things. Calling him classless and idiotic for quitting in such a fashion isn't making him out as a monster. Despite recent events, you don't see people for example attacking magic's accomplishments as a player.

For one, the narrative on Russell was already well established and earned. Magic only stated what was already apparent. One can argue the front office should have exercised more patience with an immature, unprofessional prospect.

Magic stated he would have had trouble resigning face to face with Jeanie.. I believe that. There was this woman I once dated.. I made it a point to avoid being in her presence physically when we'd go through one of our many break ups.. I found it difficult to say no or resist her while she was physically present, which is why I found his statement credible.

Critiques of his job performance are more than justified.. You guys have crossed the line in my opinion and I stand by that.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:53 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Why so sensitive?

Not policing.. you guys have at it.. I'm just expressing how ridiculous some of you sound with all the crying.. How many times are you going to complain about the exact same thing? Over and over and over again.. I'm honestly surprised at it, considering this board is populated by adult males.

It's unbecoming in my opinion. And let's not just latch on to the word idiotic as if that's all that's been said. That man has done quite a bit for the Black community, his failure as a basketball executive is small potatoes.

You guys have crossed the line so often in here, you don't even realize how over the top it is.

If I stand alone so be it.. I don't like the hit job you guys are doing on this mans character over basketball, in light of what he actually does to improve the standard of living for the Black community.

Well it doesn't help matters if magic can't keep his mouth shut. "The truth will come to light" is the kind of tweet that's going to get people talking again.

Just because he's done much for the black community doesn't mean he gets to act however he likes in public. His troubles are primarily because of opening his mouth too much and in such an arrogant fashion at times, whether it's basketball related or not.

Lol there isn't too much crossing the line going on. You just can't accept people are talking bad about magic. Crossing the line would be making statments about magic without substance like saying he's only a top five player of all time because of race. Calling him idiotic and classless because of how he quitted isn't crossing the line because we can literally point at that conference as a reason.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject:

Classless and idiotic isn't all that's been said about him.. Nor do I care about criticisms that are basketball related. Even though the crying is excessive.

"His troubles are primarily because of opening his mouth too much"

What trouble is he in? lol.. He's a multimillionaire, with good health. He's blessed.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

For one, the narrative on Russell was already well established and earned. Magic only stated what was already apparent. One can argue the front office should have exercised more patience with an immature, unprofessional prospect.

Magic stated he would have had trouble resigning face to face with Jeanie.. I believe that. There was this woman I once dated.. I made it a point to avoid being in her presence physically when we'd go through one of our many break ups.. I found it difficult to say no or resist her while she was physically present, which is why I found his statement credible.

Critiques of his job performance are more than justified.. You guys have crossed the line in my opinion and I stand by that.

How was the narritve of Russell well established? Because of that 1 event? In that case then it more than justifies calling magic classless and idiotic because of how he quitted on april 9th.

Being on a date is different than a work environment. There are certain expectations. Magic isn't a little kid where he still needs to learn what it means to be a professional. Even if he couldn't tell Jeanie physically, you don't tell the whole world in an embarrasing press conference instead.

Critiques of his job performance can include calling him classless and idiotic if it is justifiable. That's not crossing the line.

Last edited by dabask11 on Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:26 am; edited 3 times in total
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Classless and idiotic isn't all that's been said about him.. Nor do I care about criticisms that are basketball related. Even though the crying is excessive.

"His troubles are primarily because of opening his mouth too much"

What trouble is he in? lol.. He's a multimillionaire, with good health. He's blessed.

Even if there are other words, as long as it's reasonably tied to his basketball/non-basketball moves then it's not crossing the line. People can complain as much as they want since it's a message board.

Troubles as in why he gets criticism. If he kept his mouth shut on certain things, he wouldn't get such complaints.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:34 am    Post subject:

Boss, the Russell thing has been litigated many times in here. Even his most ardent supporters acknowledge the issues he had while he was a Laker. So no, it wasn't one event. This really isn't about him, I'm happy the young man turned it around. Serves as a reminder to not give up so quick on prospects.

I didn't say anything about being on a date.. I would also agree that he could have handled his resignation better. It would seem that he acted out of emotion, which I and I'm sure you have done on occasion. What judgments might one render if your 1 or 2 impulsive decisions where examined while completely disregarding all aspects of who you are? And as I've already said 3 times now, more has been said about him beside being classless and idiotic.

Based on the standards you've given most of us are classless and idiotic.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:44 am    Post subject:

Like Russell, the narrative of Magic being classless and idiotic wasn't something built solely on how he quitted on april 9th. It just added fuel to the fire.

People acting out on emotion is normal but it doesn't mean you can just do anything. Even if it was one event, what magic pulled would be career suicide for anyone else in a professional environment if it was on his or her resume. Also when most people make such an emotional mistake, they usually admit it and try to be better in the future. Magic instead is tweeting cryptically as if he never did anything wrong.

Disregarding a person's aspects because of 1-2 impulsive decisions is pretty much the norm in today's world. Have you not seen how many people lose their jobs regardless of their resume because of 1 tweet?

And again regardless of what was said besides classless and idiotic, it doesn't cross the line if there is reasonable substance.

What's so classless and idiotic about having standards of professionalism? It's something pretty much anyone who works has to exhibit in some fashion. That's why people are rolling their eyes at magic while calling him classless and idiotic for what he did that day. It's not like he's is a kid who shouldn't know any better.

Last edited by dabask11 on Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Why so sensitive?

Crossed the line?

It's a message board. People express their opinions. What's the issue?
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject:

We’re dealing with an interesting caliber of people in our FO. Magic just up and quit because his feelings were hurt?

Yeah thanks Earvin, way to make us look pathetic and unprofessional.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

You seem determined to make it serious. Othe s understand this is a message board to blow off steam. But by all means continue to feign superiority.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Why so sensitive?

And how many times are you going to complain about us complaining?

We'll keep complaining so long as Magic keeps running his mouth. Again, you don't have to like it but you also don't have to read it. There are many things that annoy me on these forums, but guess what? I just ignore it.

The state of the team is such a mess right now and with Magic constantly running his mouth and a new story coming out seemingly every day, there will be a lot of complaining going around.

Lol at the hit job. Dude snaked his way into the role after years of bashing the previous regime, realized the job is harder than he anticipated and up and quits without even telling anybody else. And I don't recall you getting all up in arms over the constant bashing of Jim and Mitch.

And I'm actually curious on how we've crossed the line? I'll admit that I haven't read every single post in this thread, but most stuff I've read are calling Magic an idiot and a coward. Hardly crossing the line.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject:

John Ireland right now just said that Magic Johnson was actually the person behind our draftees last season.

He said Magic went against the whole room (Ryan West and Jesse Buss?) on who the Lakers should've drafted.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject:

It isn’t the first time that drafting Wagner was credited to Magic. I am curious as to who the scouting department wanted.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
John Ireland right now just said that Magic Johnson was actually the person behind our draftees last season.

He said Magic went against the whole room (Ryan West and Jesse Buss?) on who the Lakers should've drafted.

Wow. Wow.
C'mon Magic. Ryan and Jesse have been pretty good the last few years.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Wow. Wow.

I actually suspected this was the case. It was pretty clear from the backstage stuff, pressers, etc. that Magic vetoed.

Wagner is definitely not who Jesse/Ryan recommended.

Magic is a terrible talent evaluator.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
epak wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Wow. Wow.

I actually suspected this was the case. It was pretty clear from the backstage stuff, pressers, etc. that Magic vetoed.

Wagner is definitely not who Jesse/Ryan recommended.

Magic is a terrible talent evaluator.

Late draft, I think he would have hit gold with Fox over Lonzo. Our Lakers are a dysfunctional franchise man.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 124, 125, 126  Next
Page 118 of 126
Jump to: