Official President of Basketball Operations Search Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 69, 70, 71  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
I think theres more going on behind the scenes than we are led to believe.
My take is that Magic stepped down, not because of the “whispering / backstabbing” that was brought to light to mislead the media.

But because he wanted to have no label associated with the Lakers, so he can freely and legally “recruit and pitch” to players without it being tampering.

He was seen out over the weekend and he said he and Jeanie still talk daily.
If you're leaving a position cause it consumes too much time, why still invest time “daily”?

Thats also why LAs not looking for a PoBO and letting Rob be the man, because Magic is the silent, off the record PoBO.

This is just my theory. I might be wrong and they might hire someone in the next day or two. But I think this is all a smokescreen so he can recruit without any fines to the team.

This is actually a very good point. Could be a lot of truth to this. Still doesn't change the fact, Magic could have and should have resigned in a much more professional way. He left the impression that there's dysfunction...and it appears as there is. Not a good look.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:
I think theres more going on behind the scenes than we are led to believe.
My take is that Magic stepped down, not because of the “whispering / backstabbing” that was brought to light to mislead the media.

But because he wanted to have no label associated with the Lakers, so he can freely and legally “recruit and pitch” to players without it being tampering.

He was seen out over the weekend and he said he and Jeanie still talk daily.
If you're leaving a position cause it consumes too much time, why still invest time “daily”?

Thats also why LAs not looking for a PoBO and letting Rob be the man, because Magic is the silent, off the record PoBO.

This is just my theory. I might be wrong and they might hire someone in the next day or two. But I think this is all a smokescreen so he can recruit without any fines to the team.

This is actually a very good point. Could be a lot of truth to this. Still doesn't change the fact, Magic could have and should have resigned in a much more professional way. He left the impression that there's dysfunction...and it appears as there is. Not a good look.

I agree about the dysfunctional part. It leaves a very negative image for the Lakers.
But that might have been their plan, to throw in a-lot of drama and confuse the public, all a while they stay on course with their game plan.

Heck, Magic has even said he’s going to help recruit players this summer lol. So the only thing thats changed is his label with the Lakers.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Presti let KD, Harden, Ibaka out the door. Then pays max money to PG13, a guy who is lesser than KD or Harden.

We have pitchforks ready in LA for lesser crimes. The fascination with Presti is that he's grass, he's green, and he's elsewhere.

Eh. Presti got off to a good start. Let us not forget that OKC reached the Finals and was within striking distance of a title for several years. The luxury tax mess suggests to me that he has ownership issues. Presti kept their costs contained for a number of years, even though it meant letting Harden go. The team needed to rebuild after Durant bailed, but instead it looks like he got orders to keep the team in the playoffs at all costs. So now they have a gigantic luxury tax bill. This has to be coming from ownership. No GM has the unilateral power to commit his team to $300M, and Presti is smart enough to know that this is not sustainable.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Presti let KD, Harden, Ibaka out the door. Then pays max money to PG13, a guy who is lesser than KD or Harden.

We have pitchforks ready in LA for lesser crimes. The fascination with Presti is that he's grass, he's green, and he's elsewhere.

Eh. Presti got off to a good start. Let us not forget that OKC reached the Finals and was within striking distance of a title for several years. The luxury tax mess suggests to me that he has ownership issues. Presti kept their costs contained for a number of years, even though it meant letting Harden go. The team needed to rebuild after Durant bailed, but instead it looks like he got orders to keep the team in the playoffs at all costs. So now they have a gigantic luxury tax bill. This has to be coming from ownership. No GM has the unilateral power to commit his team to $300M, and Presti is smart enough to know that this is not sustainable.

I agree that there had to be influence from the owners to keep it going rather than move the players with positive value and crash it. they would have bottomed out and be starting to move forward if they had went into a rebuild after Durant left.

Last edited by Bard207 on Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject:

We don’t need Presti. Take a look at Elton Brand. We need someone who’s smart and can make the right moves. Butler, Harris, Mike Scott, that giant European. Seems like the perfect compliment to Embiid, Simmons, and JJ.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
We don’t need Presti. Take a look at Elton Brand. We need someone who’s smart and can make the right moves. Butler, Harris, Mike Scott, that giant European. Seems like the perfect compliment to Embiid, Simmons, and JJ.

I would argue that Brand hasn't made many great moves. He inherited Embiid and Simmons. He definitely assembled a roster that can contend this year, but that Tobias Harris trade is going to look awful in a couple of years.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

I find it extremely odd that ever since the Pat Riley rumor was gaining steam last week, everything regarding the Lakers POB position has been very very silent, am I the only 1 who notices this? Like why has the noise been quiet? If it’s because Rob is the guy then it would be dumb to drag it out just to announce it in 2 weeks or 1 month.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject:

Apparently Jeannie is not going to replace Magics position
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:

It's unbelievable that the Lakers don't care that Rob is hated around the league and brings toxicity according to reports from almost everyone around the league. Arash Mirkazi of LA Times was on Sedano show talking about how terrible Rob is for the Lakers and that Jeanie is crazy for not hiring a PBO
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:

Link?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

I would argue that Brand hasn't made many great moves. He inherited Embiid and Simmons. He definitely assembled a roster that can contend this year, but that Tobias Harris trade is going to look awful in a couple of years.

It's too early to pass judgment on Brand, but I have not been blown away by his moves. He churned the roster, and yet the team won one less game this year than last year. They've struggled to get past the Nets in the first round. If they lose to the Raptors in the second round, they will have duplicated last year. They face a summer in which Butler, Harris and Redick could all walk . . . or get overpaid. They could actually be a player in the free agent market this summer. It seems like they have a lot of chemistry issues. So Brand has his work cut out.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie would have to be sure Rob is going to deliver a Max Free Agent this summer to let Rob keep the job.

Magic's gone.
Luke's gone.

This would all fall on Jeanie and Rob.

Occam's razor: The simplest explanation is we aren't trying to get a PNO because we've already agreed in principle with a PBO.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:

Link?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😝😝😝
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Looks like we have our PBO and GM

Kurt freaking Rambis and Rob Pelinka....
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Looks like we have our PBO and GM

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Kurt freaking Rambis and Rob Pelinka....

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/brooklyn-nets/post/_/id/19596/history-of-jason-kidds-past-incidents

at this point only BI is holding me here...best of luck
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject:

to be clear... Kurt Rambis is not the PoBO. But shake my (bleep) head-- Jason Kidd.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
to be clear... Kurt Rambis is not the PoBO. But shake my (bleep) head-- Jason Kidd.

It doesn’t matter if he’s not the PBO, it’s basically Kurt and Pelinka making the decisions.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
levon wrote:

It doesn’t matter if he’s not the PBO, it’s basically Kurt and Pelinka making the decisions.

We kind of already knew that they'd be the provisional group. Still makes me horribly sad. I'd much rather have Pelinka than Kurt (bleep) Rambis making decisions.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject:

under the radar for me...

Los Angeles Lakers (2018)
In September 2018, Rambis rejoined the Lakers as a senior basketball adviser.[16][17]

Lakers Hire Kurt Rambis
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
under the radar for me...

Los Angeles Lakers (2018)
In September 2018, Rambis rejoined the Lakers as a senior basketball adviser.[16][17]

Lakers Hire Kurt Rambis

I think if I was a ballboy during the Showtime Era I'd be Head of Analytics right now.
where24happens
Star Player
Star Player

Jeanie may be the worst owner in the NBA. Literally the only reason Rambis is in the mix is his wife is Jeanie's best friend. What qualifies him to run our coaching search?? What kind of incompetence is this?!

Last edited by where24happens on Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PBO: Rob Pelinka
GM: Kurt Rambis
Owner: Jeanie Buss/Linda Rambis
Social Media: Magic Johnson

Welcome to a new era of Lakers basketball
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Kurt Rambis is like a damn cockroach we can't get rid of
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject:

I'll know we are heading in the right direction when all these people are gone ALONG WITH Stu and BillyMac
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject:

What have we done to deserve this????????
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 69, 70, 71  Next
Page 45 of 71
Jump to: