Official President of Basketball Operations Search Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 69, 70, 71  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:52 am    Post subject:

Rambis is just filling in and helping rob out so hes not doing it alone while our true pbo gets bounced in the playoffs. Chill guys
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Rambis is just filling in and helping rob out so hes not doing it alone while our true pbo gets bounced in the playoffs. Chill guys

That's not what it seems like, atm.

Apparently Jim tried to get outsider help to bring the Lakers back to contention and it didn't work, so Jeanie is looking internally (Laker family) to get it done, as she feels that's the way her dad did it. Problem is, none of these folks have a track record as basketball execs.

I'm not ready to bring out the pitchforks just yet, but a company needs to be run like one, not like a family business.

FWIW, if we get Leonard and AD this summer, I could care less if its Rurt Kambis or Kurt Rambis as PBO.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
2019 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:
Nothing Kurt Rambis has done qualifies him to advise on personnel decisions, especially HC.

He's never been a GM.
He's never been a PBO.
He's never been a successful HC..

So only former GMs, former POBOs, and former “successful” HCs are qualified to advise on personnel decisions?

I’ve seen this board get weird before, but never this weird.

I mean you could ask a guy who builds go karts to build rocket ships but that wouldn't be wise either

Seriously? Kurt Rambis has played and coached in the NBA since the 1980s, and now he is a guy who builds go-karts? We aren’t even talking about whether he is qualified to be the next POBO. That’s just some BS that Inspector Gadget spouted to (successfully) troll you. No, you think he isn’t qualified to be a senior basketball advisor. Unreal.

Lmao. The bold underlined had me trying so hard not to laugh out loud as to not wake up my ole hag. Mind if I quote and put in my sig? That stuff is classic

Sure.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject:

bfc1125roy wrote:
Kurt Rambis having a say in all of this does worry me though. Unless he's sitting behind Phil Jackson on the bench, or this is 1985, I want him out of here.

He hasn't proven success outside of those things. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable having him be in a senior advisory role, especially given the likelihood he was brought in by his wife's influence versus any meaningful qualifications.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. The Lakers are running a multibillion dollar business like a mom and pop shop. Times have changed, and a good businessman/woman should put competent people in charge of aspects of the business they are not proficient at (i.e. basketball operations).

i've been preaching the same, this ownership is afraid of changes, afraid of anything new, they're against innovations. that's why they're (especially Jeanie Buss) are sticking with whom they've known and trust instead going after the best in the business.
VincentTH
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject:

it's on FOX News:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/magic-johnson-resigned-lakers-emails-bad-job-performance
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject:

bfc1125roy wrote:

Based on what? Inspector Gadget? Internet scuttlebutt?

Again, I realize this is this yet another Offseason of Our Discontent. I realize that we are in the Playoff Dead Zone yet again. I realize that nothing is likely to happen until the draft lottery. It's understandable that people are antsy.

But Jeez Louise, this board is getting whacky. The clickbait "insiders" can throw out random information or sheer speculation, and this board devours it like a swarm of piranhas. If someone sees Phil Jackson at a Starbucks in LA, Inspector Gadget will start a thread claiming that PJ is back and calling the shots. Heaven forbid that someone sees Daryl Morey driving on I-10 West in Houston. He's coming to LA!
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject:

VincentTH wrote:
it's on FOX News:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/magic-johnson-resigned-lakers-emails-bad-job-performance

Chit. We all knew that.
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject:

Wvc0925 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Wvc0925 wrote:
Per plaske it’s Rob

Link?

He was just on the radio with Sedano. He said that Jeanie and Linda really like Rob

he also said Linda is very powerful within the Lakers organization and Rambis could return as an assistant coach. Meh. I don't think he has any sources within the organization but I hope he is wrong.
bfc1125roy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
bfc1125roy wrote:

Again, I realize this is this yet another Offseason of Our Discontent. I realize that we are in the Playoff Dead Zone yet again. I realize that nothing is likely to happen until the draft lottery. It's understandable that people are antsy.

But Jeez Louise, this board is getting whacky. The clickbait "insiders" can throw out random information or sheer speculation, and this board devours it like a swarm of piranhas. If someone sees Phil Jackson at a Starbucks in LA, Inspector Gadget will start a thread claiming that PJ is back and calling the shots. Heaven forbid that someone sees Daryl Morey driving on I-10 West in Houston. He's coming to LA!

Just a lot of reports talking about how Linda Rambis is Jeanie's most trusted advisor. Makes sense she has lots of influence given how Rambis magically reappeared in the organization this year, so it isn't a stretch to believe he's going to hold a senior position in the FO going forward, especially if he has one now.

Of course, there is the possibility these reports are wrong, and perhaps the Lakers do have a new PBO in mind and are only hiring a coach because they don't want to be left in the dust by the time all the other teams hire their new coaches. But, I do want the new PBO, if it's not Rambis or Pelinka, to have a say in this hire, as the problem with Walton was he was hired by a different FO and didn't have top down support.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:

I am secretly hoping this is true.

The fact that they haven't hired a coach yet is a good sign, hopefully they have a playoff PBO in hand and are just waiting for the playoff run to be over.

I don't see any need at all to hire a coach now, no one is even after the guys we are talking to other than maybe Phoenix with Monty Williams, I am not worried about it.

Get a real PBO (sorry Kurt, ducking from AH ) and let's get this thing moving in some kind of positive direction.

Jeanie isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but even she is due to at least luck into a good decision at some point.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:
Nothing Kurt Rambis has done qualifies him to advise on personnel decisions, especially HC.

He's never been a GM.
He's never been a PBO.

So only former GMs, former POBOs, and former “successful” HCs are qualified to advise on personnel decisions?

Head coaches shouldn’t be involved, it is beyond their expertise. Sure you could ask the bum on the corner to make decisions for your company, but that would only result in you looking like an idiot. The Lakers have a lot of revenue and there are some quality basketball minds available for hire. Why not take advantage of that? That is what most successful businesses do. But if you want to rely on someone who has no expertise in that field, we all laugh as the walls fall down around you. It isn’t the end of the world but it is a continued example of poor management.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject:

Well if rambis is gonna be an assistant then lue is probably the only coach that'll allow that
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject:

Phil's dream was to plant a tree of all of his people and since Jeanie isn't a basketball person, that's all she knows. If it's up to her, its all about hiring Phil's people or the Lakers people she is already acquainted with.
Mamba&Magic
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

I'll reserve judgement until after the playoffs are over and roster moves begin being made.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

bfc1125roy wrote:
Just a lot of reports talking about how Linda Rambis is Jeanie's most trusted advisor.

Oh my God! Jeanie has friends in the organization that she confides in! This is unacceptable!

bfc1125roy wrote:
so it isn't a stretch to believe he's going to hold a senior position in the FO going forward, especially if he has one now.

And? In other words, he is a senior advisor, and he is doing things that a senior advisor does, so it is likely that he will be a senior advisor. The Rambis-phobia (Kurtophobia?) on this board is just baffling. This is starting to remind me of all the hysteria about Chaz the Bartender (who wasn't actually a bartender, and who was apparently a pretty decent scout).
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:

He's never been a GM.
He's never been a PBO.

Head coaches shouldn’t be involved, it is beyond their expertise. Sure you could ask the bum on the corner to make decisions for your company, but that would only result in you looking like an idiot. The Lakers have a lot of revenue and there are some quality basketball minds available for hire. Why not take advantage of that? That is what most successful businesses do. But if you want to rely on someone who has no expertise in that field, we all laugh as the walls fall down around you. It isn’t the end of the world but it is a continued example of poor management.

Are you saying that a person with a lot of coaching experience isn't qualified to help interview candidates for head coach? I really don't understand that at all.

I do understand the benefit of having different voices and perspectives in the room when you're interviewing and deciding. And the Lakers should be adding and/or consulting with people who aren't just inner-circle folks. But there's no specific reason why Kurt can't be in the room for this stuff.
Kobe Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject:

Clutch24 wrote:
It’s time for fans to boycott home games and force her to make significant change. Jeanie only wants to be comfortable and surrounded by friends. This front office is a joke.

They did get Lebron last year, lol.

People need to chill
Kobe Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

bfc1125roy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
bfc1125roy wrote:

Just a lot of reports talking about how Linda Rambis is Jeanie's most trusted advisor. Makes sense she has lots of influence given how Rambis magically reappeared in the organization this year, so it isn't a stretch to believe he's going to hold a senior position in the FO going forward, especially if he has one now.

Of course, there is the possibility these reports are wrong, and perhaps the Lakers do have a new PBO in mind and are only hiring a coach because they don't want to be left in the dust by the time all the other teams hire their new coaches. But, I do want the new PBO, if it's not Rambis or Pelinka, to have a say in this hire, as the problem with Walton was he was hired by a different FO and didn't have top down support.

Linda Rambis handles special events if I'm correct. She has zero to do with basketball decisions, so I'm not sure why people bring he name up.
LFAN4LIFE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

Magic posts cryptic tweet day after report comes out about the emails....

He says this the other day,
https://www.tmz.com/2019/04/21/magic-johnson-lakers-resigns-president-working-love-lebron-james-jeanie-buss/

His own words to TMZ, its like I never lef the team, I talk to them daily.

Then this report leaks,

Then he tweets this,
Quote:
@MagicJohnson
1h1 hour ago
More
The truth will always come to light 😊

Sorry but this whole saga is so odd to me.
where24happens
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject:

Jeanie is basically using her position to put her friends in positions of power - she is truly an idiot in my opinion. People she has hired:

Luke Walton - friend and former Laker
Magic Johnson - her good friend and former Laker
Rob Pelinka - KOBE's agent
Kurt Rambis - was unemployed after being fired by the Knicks for sheer ineptitude, so Jeanie gave him a job because his wife is her best friend
Linda Rambis - her most trusted advisor because she is her best friend

CLEARLY, Jeanie does not give a rat's ass about qualifications. She is the problem.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:
Well if rambis is gonna be an assistant then lue is probably the only coach that'll allow that

It's almost a condition for becoming a Lakers coach: "Give my friend's husband a job". If Rambis had been available back when Luke was hired I'm sure he would've been an AC. Instead they hired his stand-in Mark Madsen.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
I do understand the benefit of having different voices and perspectives in the room when you're interviewing and deciding. And the Lakers should be adding and/or consulting with people who aren't just inner-circle folks. But there's no specific reason why Kurt can't be in the room for this stuff.

Yep. I really don't understand the current level of hysteria.

However, I've made my point, and now I'm going to let it go. If people choose to be irrationally hysterical about the existential threat to the future of the Lakers posed by Kurt Rambis and his wife, nothing I can say is going to change anything.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject:

bfc1125roy wrote:
Lakers_Jester wrote:

Apparently Jim tried to get outsider help to bring the Lakers back to contention and it didn't work, so Jeanie is looking internally (Laker family) to get it done, as she feels that's the way her dad did it. Problem is, none of these folks have a track record as basketball execs.

I'm not ready to bring out the pitchforks just yet, but a company needs to be run like one, not like a family business.

FWIW, if we get Leonard and AD this summer, I could care less if its Rurt Kambis or Kurt Rambis as PBO.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject:

It's possible we don't hire anyone. Not every NBA team has a POBO. It's not like some mandatory role that must be filled.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject:

Lakers_Jester wrote:

I really hope you know something we don’t...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 69, 70, 71  Next
Page 51 of 71
Jump to: