Jerry West
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject:

They closed the deal didn't they?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I don't think Jerry is bitter. He's just doing a job, and he's doing it well. I am actually amused how many people got their panties all twisted up because West called the Lakers a "sh*tstorm." Like someone else said, I don't think any of those people have ever done sales..

So it's normal in sales to recruit clients, and West clearly saw Wilkes as a proxy for Kawhi, by calling a competitor a s***show when you think you might be in the verge of losing out to a competitor? That makes you sound desperate. You also insulted my intelligence by telling me you think I am stupid because I'm actually considering a s***show for the job. If I was considering two candidates and one called their primary competition a s***show in my interactions with them to convince me to hire them they probably wouldn't get the job.

But West wasn't selling to you so your sensibilities are irrelevant. And whatever West did apparently worked with the actual buyers because the Clippers won the Leonard sweepstakes.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I don't think Jerry is bitter. He's just doing a job, and he's doing it well. I am actually amused how many people got their panties all twisted up because West called the Lakers a "sh*tstorm." Like someone else said, I don't think any of those people have ever done sales..

So it's normal in sales to recruit clients, and West clearly saw Wilkes as a proxy for Kawhi, by calling a competitor a s***show when you think you might be in the verge of losing out to a competitor? That makes you sound desperate. You also insulted my intelligence by telling me you think I am stupid because I'm actually considering a s***show for the job. If I was considering two candidates and one called their primary competition a s***show in my interactions with them to convince me to hire them they probably wouldn't get the job.

But West wasn't selling to you so your sensibilities are irrelevant. And whatever West did apparently worked with the actual buyers because the Clippers won the Leonard sweepstakes.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject:

More details on the investigation. I don't subscribe to the OCR.

Quote:
... then NBA's commissioner and lead lawyer explained what it is they're focused on while they investigate the Clippers' recruitment of Kawhi last year -- while stressed that the team is presumed innocent unless proven otherwise.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MirjamSwanson/status/1341170333500334081

Last edited by 32 on Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject:

some people catching feelings in here like West is a blood relative. I didn't want to escalate things earlier when some dude that I believe got banned responded to my post.

who cares if people are in sales? .. You can make judgements on people if you don't share job traits and i'm guessing most people that are in "sales" on here aren't anywhere in the neighborhood of the level West was doing it in. Also, we're speaking as fans not some life lesson on how ugly and tough the real world can be. I've lost fondness for West a bit over the years but regardless of what happens in this suit i'll always love what he did for us a player and gm much like Magic (no gm love though for him haha). As of right now if nothing else major came out it's pretty much nothing I agree but in my comment I talked about if "more" came out that made West look bad it would taint his legacy a bit in many "Lakers fans" eyes. Outside of that I highly doubt most fans of other teams care much besides maybe Toronto getting a laugh out of it. As "fans" which is short for "fanatics" it's not hard to imagine many would look at him with a bit less fondness if things got uglier in the suit. Nothing more, nothing less. No fans I know of at least will be putting themselves in "salesman's" shoes and pondering WWJWD? I think it's more of an old shark that used to get away playing dirty in a completely different era where im sure most other gm's also did it but slipped up a bit since you have to be super careful in today's world considerin everything is so much more monitored.

The (bleep) comment isn't a big deal but him possibly getting inside info from his son inside our organization is a much bigger slap in the face to me as a fan. Is that even true though? None of us know for sure yet and we might never know for a fact I just know there's A LOT of smoke coming from that organization for well over a year now. This isn't just coming out of left field.

I hope all this scandal stays with them the entire season which could be worse then stripping them of a few draft picks or a massive fine since it makes it awfully difficult to have great chemistry when the team was already severely lacking it before this and Kawhi could end up very well leaving the real "(bleep)" after this season which I would love to see personally.

It's simple for me, the Magic while playing for the Lakers and the Logo both playing for us and being our GM are different people as far as im concerned and i'm not much of a fan of either of them since they left but it doesn't change much for me at this point unless a lot more comes out making West look much worse.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject:

What the Clippers do or will do is irrelevant to me.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

They only got Kawhi. The Lakers were the ones who closed the deal last season.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ducasse wrote:
activeverb wrote:

It doesn't mean that was the right approach. I'm pretty sure it was embarrassing for Jerry for that to get out.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ducasse wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ducasse wrote:
activeverb wrote:

It doesn't mean that was the right approach. I'm pretty sure it was embarrassing for Jerry for that to get out.

Eh. He's not a university professor leaning back as he puffs on his pipe. He's a high strung, competitive guy who struggles with depression and anxiety. The West you heard on the call is no different than the West during the Showtime period. People who don't understand that have an image of West in their mind that isn't true.

Unless that call was part of something illegal.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ducasse wrote:
activeverb wrote:

A lot of people look at Jerry West as some mythical figure carved into granite, and they don't realize he's a human being. He's a high strung, competitive guy who struggles with depression and anxiety.

The West you heard on the call is no different than the West during the Showtime period. That wasn't a weird episode; it's his personality.

I accept he's a real, flawed human being rather than a marble statue, so nothing about it bothered me.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Just like it's ok to say Magic sucked as a PBO.
It's ok to say good riddance to Jerry on the clippers.

Of course when he leaves the dippers then it'll be all good again haha
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ducasse wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ducasse wrote:
activeverb wrote:

A lot of people look at Jerry West as some mythical figure carved into granite, and they don't realize he's a human being. He's a high strung, competitive guy who struggles with depression and anxiety.

The West you heard on the call is no different than the West during the Showtime period. That wasn't a weird episode; it's his personality.

I accept he's a real, flawed human being rather than a marble statue, so nothing about it bothered me.

Agreed...and the fact he got butt hurt when the Lakers had no interest in bringing him back...he bought into all the Magic hype calling the Lakers a sh!t show...who's the sh!t show now Jerry? Sorry...but I love it when the Clipps continue to fail...Ballmer, West and all the clowns in that organization can't move to Inglewood fast enough...I only wished it would have been SD or Seattle.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Two of our greatest legends (Magic and West) have proven to be clearly more toxic lately than the org they've bashed. Oh well. I still very much appreciate everything they did as players regardless.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Two of our greatest legends (Magic and West) have proven to be clearly more toxic lately than the org they've bashed. Oh well. I still very much appreciate everything they did as players regardless.

Yep. I still love them for what they did as players, as GM (west) and as a community builder (magic with the magic johnson theaters and magic johnson tgi fridays, etc). I think it's healthy to be able to compartmentalize emotions.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

Yep. I still love them for what they did as players, as GM (west) and as a community builder (magic with the magic johnson theaters and magic johnson tgi fridays, etc). I think it's healthy to be able to compartmentalize emotions.

Agreed, bro.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject:

I doubt Jerry returns to consult here at all, given the power balance in place.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:38 am    Post subject:

Again, just for the record, in the summer of 2019 when the Clips were pursuing Leonard and West called the Lakers a “sh—show”, that’s exactly what they were.

Just as a reminder, they had acquired LeBron before that season and then made the brilliant tactical decision to leave Luke Walton in place as the woefully ineffective head coach. The predictable train wreck affected even LeBron, who was openly sulking like a 12 year old.

They finished 37-45 solely because LeBron made them marginally better. The team mercifully missed the playoffs. For the sixth consecutive year. If that wasn’t a “sh—show”, then I don’t know what would possibly classify as one.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject:

Jerry is a Laker legend with a statue in front of Staples to prove it. He was likewise an excellent executive for the team. He is Laker royalty, yesterday, today and tomorrow.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:01 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
Again, just for the record, in the summer of 2019 when the Clips were pursuing Leonard and West called the Lakers a “sh—show”, that’s exactly what they were.

Just as a reminder, they had acquired LeBron before that season and then made the brilliant tactical decision to leave Luke Walton in place as the woefully ineffective head coach. The predictable train wreck affected even LeBron, who was openly sulking like a 12 year old.

They finished 37-45 solely because LeBron made them marginally better. The team mercifully missed the playoffs. For the sixth consecutive year. If that wasn’t a “sh—show”, then I don’t know what would possibly classify as one.

In retrospect though Lakers made Jerry look foolish by easily winning a ring while Kawhi ended up with a Clippers team that turned into a s***show.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:20 am    Post subject:

In the context of time and place, West was 1000% correct.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:

I was very much with Brawn when he made his first grouse about Luke's habit of ramming his head into a wall over and over and over and over w/o a change in results. It didn't take long for Brawn to become irritated with that. He only had to deal with it for 2-3 weeks whereas I and fans who hated Luke had to withstand it for 2-3 years.

Sh, Brawn's gripe I'm referring to happened on Oct 29-30th after a loss at MIN and a 2-5 record. He wasn't even out of October yet before he realized Luke was too boneheaded or mule-stubborn (not a diss on DaMule) to change the gameplan.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

ABC - Always Be Closing

AIDA - Attention Interest Decision Action
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
I doubt Jerry returns to consult here at all, given the power balance in place.

The disconnect between Jerry and Jeanie seems to be great. But like Windhorst says, “Winning a Championship means that you’ll never have to apologize.”

Jeanie, who’s know West all her life, seems validated in not bringing him back.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject:

this thread is a (bleep) show
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject:

we dont need the old crap
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12
Jump to: