Should Jeanie step down as board director?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Jeanie step down as board director?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 151 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 75 ]
Total Votes : 226

x75274
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Username wrote:
There's a lot of covert sexism on this board regarding Jeanie. It's really something to behold.

Sexism??? How is anything I said due to sexism?

By the way....I am a woman myself.

I'm not saying you specifically. I didn't mean to make it seem like that, I'm just remarking it here because this is a thread about her being removed. I'm just talking about this forum in general.

Who cares if it is sexist? She is horrible and is the person most responsible for turning the greatest basketball organization into the biggest joke.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Username wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Jeanie was around for Jim/Mitch, then Magic/Rob, and whoever replaces Magic/Rob.

She has been the constant. We can blame the Departed as much as we want but she has always hovered above them all.

She had no say in the Jim and Mitch era. Dr. Buss put Jim in charge of basketball operations and she sat off to the side and let him do his thing. The only hires you can directly relate to her are Magic and Rob.

"No say..." I'm not sure about that.

My point is, at some juncture you take the credit/blame as the highest person on the org chart. For that, there is a lot of fair criticism. You can call out the individuals making actual sexist comments, but other legit criticism cannot be shielded by that.

Sure, if you think Magic and Rob were bad hires, that is completely understandable and valid. It's a matter of opinion. My counter to that would be it's too soon to judge any of these moves.

Well, let's see.

Magic walked off the job in a pretty humiliating fashion.

We signed LBJ and missed the playoffs.

Rob's rep is tattered and the whole organization is a mess.

There's a difference between "we can turn things around" and "right now, we are a mess." Right now it's the latter, with the HOPE of the former.
x75274
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject:

Kobe is my 2nd most favorite player but the guy has become a crutch as well. As kobe would say, "Ship his ass out"
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Username wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Username wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Jeanie was around for Jim/Mitch, then Magic/Rob, and whoever replaces Magic/Rob.

She has been the constant. We can blame the Departed as much as we want but she has always hovered above them all.

She had no say in the Jim and Mitch era. Dr. Buss put Jim in charge of basketball operations and she sat off to the side and let him do his thing. The only hires you can directly relate to her are Magic and Rob.

My point is, at some juncture you take the credit/blame as the highest person on the org chart. For that, there is a lot of fair criticism. You can call out the individuals making actual sexist comments, but other legit criticism cannot be shielded by that.

Sure, if you think Magic and Rob were bad hires, that is completely understandable and valid. It's a matter of opinion. My counter to that would be it's too soon to judge any of these moves.

Well, let's see.

There's a difference between "we can turn things around" and "right now, we are a mess." Right now it's the latter, with the HOPE of the former.

You see a mess and that's fine. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I see a team that was besieged by injuries, still has LeBron James, a lottery pick, money for a max slot, and several talented young players.

This season was a disaster, but it doesn't mean the future has to be.
Kobe Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Jeanie has a 100% veto. She's responsible for every move the club makes. She hired the decision makers, so just like Luke with his staff, their quality is a direct reflection on the top of the org chart.

That said, hiring the right Pres will mostly take Jeanie out of the equation if she has learned to stay out of the way.

Jeannie has long tried to stay out of basketball decisions. The problem with Magic is he was willing to turn the franchise over to Klutch Sports. Jeannie is doing what Riley did in Miami.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject:

Username wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Username wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Username wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Well, let's see.

You see a mess and that's fine. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I see a team that was besieged by injuries, still has LeBron James, a lottery pick, money for a max slot, and several talented young players.

This season was a disaster, but it doesn't mean the future has to be.

That's my point. It's an objective disaster. I still believe we can reclaim it, but that's an aspiration and not an objective fact.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Username wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Username wrote:
There's a lot of covert sexism on this board regarding Jeanie. It's really something to behold.

I'm not saying you specifically. I didn't mean to make it seem like that, I'm just remarking it here because this is a thread about her being removed. I'm just talking about this forum in general.

Criticize Magic = racism.

Criticize Jeannie = sexism.

This is how we got to where the Lakers are. No one there wants to listen to criticism and learn from it.

Just because you don't see something doesn't mean it fails to exist. Who are you to dictate what should and should not offend people?

There are plenty of women who have been derailed from high powered positions because they are accused of being "too emotional", just like there are plenty of black men in powerful positions who are derailed because they are accused of not having the "intellect" or "work ethic". These are proxies to the worst sort of bigotry, that which is hidden and prefers to stay hidden.

You're either studied enough to get that, or you don't. Apparently, you don't.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject:

LBJ Ball Kuz BI Hart and a max space.

I still don't think this is a disaster, they drafted well, picked up LBJ and created 30m+ in cap.

But we are in it to win it. So I want that second max player, if we get it I think she did a good job.

If not well how many years does LBJ have left?

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Username wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Username wrote:

Criticize Magic = racism.

Criticize Jeannie = sexism.

This is how we got to where the Lakers are. No one there wants to listen to criticism and learn from it.

Just because you don't see something doesn't mean it fails to exist. Who are you to dictate what should and should not offend people?

There are plenty of women who have been derailed from high powered positions because they are accused of being "too emotional", just like there are plenty of black men in powerful positions who are derailed because they are accused of not having the "intellect" or "work ethic". These are proxies to the worst sort of bigotry, that which is hidden and prefers to stay hidden.

You're either studied enough to get that, or you don't. Apparently, you don't.

If you knew my personal story and history, you would laugh at your own characterization of me. Like be embarassed.

Aside from that, this is why we are in the position we are in. We can't even be objectively critical of the moves/lack of moves that were made, the errors and mistakes and such. Instead, we become sidetracked by tangential issues all the while missing on the whole point: Lakers are a mess right now.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

No, lebron is. If anything, Jeannie might save us by trading him. Her keeping Luke is basically telling lebron that if you don't like things around here then leave because this is MY team. Bravo Jeannie!
captain jack
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Username wrote:

Clean up in aisle 2...
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Some people want to fire the managing partner?

Maybe we could make some solid recommendations like hiring back
Jerry West as a consultant but firing her? Good luck with that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
No, lebron is. If anything, Jeannie might save us by trading him. Her keeping Luke is basically telling lebron that if you don't like things around here then leave because this is MY team. Bravo Jeannie!

The "highlight" of Magic and Jeanie's tenure was getting LBJ. Imagine if we didn't get him this year. The mob would have been out in greater numbers.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject:

The injury to our young players and team culture was worse than any actual physical injuries.

Look what our G-Leaguers accomplished...

We were in fourth place with the full team in place and going upwards until LBJ's injury.

Obviously the injuries played a factor... but once management showed the players that one of LeBron and Klutch's chosen superstars mattered more than them, it was hard to unite them for a playoff run.

We need to commit to our own players... we need to let other players know that if they come here they will be protected and not cast off for the next Klutch super signing.

I'm not saying we shouldn't use that relationship to our advantage, but the Lakers should be stronger than Klutch rather than vice versa.

If the rumors are true about Pelinka treating Bogut and Nance like dirt... and half of the league not wanting to deal with him... we need to cut ties now.

Maybe Rob threatened to create a super agency and use all his power to keep anyone from signing us if we dropped him.

Maybe Jeanie trusts him because of his relationship with Kobe

Who knows what the truth is?

All I know if someone doesn't behave honestly and deal in good faith, it is a recipe for disaster.

This isn't Big Brother or Survivor where you play one season and can blindside someone for a million dollars... this game is a long haul, where relationships are important.

I'll reiterate this because I know Jeanie is a huge Big Brother fan...

This isn't Big Brother or Game of Thrones... Relationships matter... and Rob doesn't seem like he cares about them.

I don't think one person has stood up and said Rob is an honorable guy during all of the past few days media coverage.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kwase wrote:

The "highlight" of Magic and Jeanie's tenure was getting LBJ. Imagine if we didn't get him this year. The mob would have been out in greater numbers.

The drafted extremely well also. Kuz Hart Ball; also LBJ and holding on to BI while still finding a way to creating another max space.

You're painting it as gloom and doom but if we pick another star this year it's not as bad as you are saying

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
kwase wrote:

The drafted extremely well also. Kuz Hart Ball; also LBJ and holding on to BI when it was rumored Mitch was going to trade him. While creating another max space.

You're painting it as gloom and doom but if we pick another star this year it's not as bad as you are saying

I'm not painting it. It is gloom and doom.

But I've repeatedly said that we can still emerge out of the hell hole this summer.

But part of doing so is admitting that we have to change things up big time or else the Lakers are in for some dark times.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject:

from the sound of things Magic would have been perfectly fine as just having some kind of informal celebratory/adviser role with the organization where he has no power or day to day obligations. It would have made too much sense to just keep him at that capacity.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:

worse team in the league over the last 6 years. Bravo Jeannie!
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Kobe Jocker wrote:
The problem with Magic is he was willing to turn the franchise over to Klutch Sports.

How so?
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
The injury to our young players and team culture was worse than any actual physical injuries.

Look what our G-Leaguers accomplished...

We were in fourth place with the full team in place and going upwards until LBJ's injury.

Obviously the injuries played a factor... but once management showed the players that one of LeBron and Klutch's chosen superstars mattered more than them, it was hard to unite them for a playoff run.

We need to commit to our own players... we need to let other players know that if they come here they will be protected and not cast off for the next Klutch super signing.

I'm not saying we shouldn't use that relationship to our advantage, but the Lakers should be stronger than Klutch rather than vice versa.

If the rumors are true about Pelinka treating Bogut and Nance like dirt... and half of the league not wanting to deal with him... we need to cut ties now.

Maybe Rob threatened to create a super agency and use all his power to keep anyone from signing us if we dropped him.

Maybe Jeanie trusts him because of his relationship with Kobe

Who knows what the truth is?

All I know if someone doesn't behave honestly and deal in good faith, it is a recipe for disaster.

This isn't Big Brother or Survivor where you play one season and can blindside someone for a million dollars... this game is a long haul, where relationships are important.

I'll reiterate this because I know Jeanie is a huge Big Brother fan...

This isn't Big Brother or Game of Thrones... Relationships matter... and Rob doesn't seem like he cares about them.

I don't think one person has stood up and said Rob is an honorable guy during all of the past few days media coverage.

I generally agree, but Masai was hated for all but a few weeks after shipping Derozan, even when he promised him to his face that he wouldn't. Now he's viewed as one of the best execs in the league. Winning solves everything.
RealSkipBayless
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:

Yep he needs to go. He is a pure negative for this squad. If a win now mode team comes calling for him he better be on the next plane out of here. Completely sabotaging everything we were working towards. Killed the team chemistry with not only blaming teammates on the court but also attempting to strong-arm two orgz into doing a trade, created a circus no free agent wants to be a part of, turned Kuzma and Ball into spot up shooters, did a terrible job leading, played no defense and only care about his offensive numbers to chance ATG standings... the list goes on etc etc.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Jeanne is not the problem. She made absolutely no basketball decisions.
And Lebron needs to tone down and not try to run the whole team like a GM like before. His talent is on the decline. He should be a piece but not the show.
The key now is to find a good President of OPS. Griffin is a name passed around.
Pelinka really has no experience as a GM and need to hit that OPS hire.
Hopefully, Pelinka will realize he has limited experience and play a team game.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Linda Rambis is.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Username wrote:

This forum has 36,466 registered users, each with their own opinion, none of which are representative of the forum as a whole.
Yes there are sexist posts. If you see something questionable, please REPORT it so we are made aware.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject:

They all are the problem.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15
Jump to: