Should Jeanie step down as board director?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Jeanie step down as board director?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 151 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 75 ]
Total Votes : 226

Author Message
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Dec 2018
Posts: 1643

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Username wrote:
There's a lot of covert sexism on this board regarding Jeanie. It's really something to behold.


Utterly repulsive.. what's been happening on this board. Grown men hurling insults at a woman, while crying and whining about a game. A game.. A game..

Nothing life altering or threatening. A game.. I'm actually surprised at what I've been seeing.


Very true and the biggest problem is that nobody here really knows what is happening in that FO, all they do is speculate without any proof. The media will always jump on a story and the biggest story in town is the Lakers. This is how they make their money. In fact the Lakers get more media coverage than most teams that are currently in the playoffs.

When you say "speculate without proof", do you mean like how the posters you've replied to (i.e., @Username and @SocalDevin) appear to have assumed that the starter of this thread is a "grown man"... without reading the thread itself and seeing the part where she (i.e., @kobe_luver) says she's a woman who is just calling things as she sees them?

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of these "insults that are being hurled" at Jeanie for being a woman?


Dude - get your head out of the ground.

Por favor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PFyg14yiqg

Dr. Laker wrote:
Username wrote:
There's a lot of covert sexism on this board regarding Jeanie. It's really something to behold.


And yet the mods closed the "White Male Sports Privilege" thread.

If you have an agenda to run about something that isn't Lakers or basketball (the sport) oriented, could you please do it elsewhere and allow the rest of us to talk about the Lakers in the Lakers Lounge? If you insist on bringing political/societal/cultural issues into a Sports forum, there is an off-topic section of the forum for everything else. Here is the link in case you need it.

Off-Topic Section Of The Forum: http://forums.lakersground.net/viewforum.php?f=19


Last edited by LAL1947 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 06 Mar 2008
Posts: 8093
Location: Born and Raised in Los Angeles, now living in Manhattan, NY.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject:

This organization needs owners and/or managing directors to bring it into the 21st century. Hire competitive people instead of former players and "friends." I am not going to pretend I know what's really happening behind closed doors, but these questionable hiring tactics and the way things have been run, one has to at last question the leadership.

Personally speaking, I would like to see new owners, new F.O., new management. The Buss litter is unfit to run this organization. I would be lying if I said I wasn't tired of the "drama."

Who would I suggest to take over? No idea. I just gave an opinion in an opinion piece.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 27963

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
As I opined in this space the other day, despite the fact that the Buss family owns the team, the Lakers are in many ways a public trust.


Fans of most major sports teams consider them to be public trusts. That's just the nature of the relationship fans have with a team, and the way that teams are marketed to fans. That perception is baked into the business model of owning a sports team.

CabinCreek44 wrote:
If she’s not up to the task, then she should sell the team. This organization is now undeniably a train wreck. It’s up to Jeanie Buss to fix it or get out. The end.


Realistically, I don't see her getting out. She enjoys running the Lakers, doing interviews, etc. If she sold, she'd be non-entity. And given that the Lakers are still financially successful, and the economics of the NBA make that unlikely to change no matter how the team does on the court, I doubt her family members will pressure her to step down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 31158

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject:

She can stay forever.
_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊

For us anything short of a championship is not success.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 May 2016
Posts: 6689
Location: Long Beach

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
As I opined in this space the other day, despite the fact that the Buss family owns the team, the Lakers are in many ways a public trust. Jeanie Buss is the head of the franchise because that’s what her father wanted, and based on that I assume the good doctor thought she was the most qualified of his children to take that mantle.

Well, Dr. Buss has been gone for 6 years, and we haven’t made the playoffs for 6 years. I have been rooting for Jeanie and given her every benefit of the doubt along the way.

Up until two years ago we were told endlessly, including by Jeanie in a few ominous interviews, that it was all Jim’s fault. Well, he’s gone now, and Jeanie and apparently her BFF Linda Rambis are running the team. So are they up to the task or not?

Magic leaving the way he did was a disaster and unfair to Jeanie for him to do that, and the way he did it. But she’s in charge now, so it’s up to her to figure it out and get it done. Or not.

To date, she has done nothing imo to justify the faith that her father placed in her. So it seems to this Laker fan that it’s time for her to produce results. That’s business. The fact that she’s a woman is meaningless to me. She’s in charge, and the success/failure of the team is her responsibility in the end.

If she’s not up to the task, then she should sell the team. This organization is now undeniably a train wreck. It’s up to Jeanie Buss to fix it or get out. The end.


The fact of the matter is.. the Lakers organization isn't a public trust. You, nor I have any say on who runs or sells their ownership stake.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Jul 2016
Posts: 2920

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject:

have your GM hire your president? seriously? Does Jeanie know anything about corporate structure?
_________________
The KUZ is Loose!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 133313
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject:

She still hasn’t left the panic room?
_________________
How about those Blues!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Aug 2008
Posts: 12315
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject:

IF I were her, I would not step down. She's the managing partner, she
need not leave her post for the unknown to come, which by the way could be worst. . Bottom line, it would be a mistake to step down; I hope she can weather the storm.
_________________
The move
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 29 Dec 2018
Posts: 554

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't really matter, she owns the team...

The dude in NY still owns his team and gives zero f
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Posts: 11884

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Kobesystem wrote:
Doesn't really matter, she owns the team...

The dude in NY still owns his team and gives zero f


True, maybe they'll get a savior franchise player by luck and change (bleep) around but being stuck with a poor ass owner is the worst.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Aug 2005
Posts: 1007

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject:

These threads crack me up. Like the Lakers success was all Jerry Buss. He bought the team that had Kareem and the #1 overall pick (which became Magic), that won a championship his first year...then a few years later got the #1 pick again and drafted James Worthy. Do not forget it was Jerry West that rolled the dice on signing Shaq while dumping the team and drafted Kobe, which at the time was unheard of for a guard out of HS.

To be honest the team has been on cruise control since Jerry West left. At times they were even frugal, letting Horry leave when they had a team option when they signed Malone to the vet minimum. Mitch was a competent if unspectacular GM.

I realize most here are sure they would be better owners than Jeanie, but honestly don't underestimate her. Look at her resume she has handled more than just be the spokesperson for the Lakers.

Pelinka not sure about. Then again Bob Myers had a similar path. Hired as assistant GM, but was promoted in a year. I suspect Jerry West helped with his early years as well.

Honestly they need to bring back Jerry West in some capacity and then they can right the ship.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 27963

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
Look at her resume she has handled more than just be the spokesperson for the Lakers.


She's had a lot of jobs with good titles, but they're all jobs her dad gave to her. Has she done well at them? Beats me. She's mostly had the kind of behind-the-scene duties where we as fans can't really evaluate what she's doing or how well she's doing it.

I've seen her Wikipedia profile and Lakers official bio that tout some accomplishments, but it's mostly stuff from 20-25 years ago where you can't really tell if it's legitimate or puffery, like an "executive of the year" award for a long-defunct inline hockey league that I never heard of.

cthroatgtr wrote:
Pelinka not sure about.


I'm not saying he's a great GM, but his resume impresses me more than Jeanie's because we know he accomplished stuff through his work, rather than his father.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 4830

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject:

If she stepped down, then someone else from the Buss family would have to take over and none of them have the experience or the expertise to replace her. The only good solution is for the Buss family to agree to sell the team but I think it might be very difficult. Do all 6 members have to agree to sell or just majority have to agree to sell?
_________________
Showtime Lakers are back!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
M2K
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 20 Feb 2011
Posts: 2084

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject:

No...she should not.

JB is trying everything and keeping hands off... until the FO proves totally incompetent... then she steps in and makes changes.

She gave Magic an opportunity to shine and he squandered it by not putting int he work and making HORRENDOUS moves that any fan would have avoided like the plague.

Once Magic proved incompetent calling the shots...she got rid of him. She would have done the same to Jim Buss and Kupchak two years earlier but JB was her brother.
_________________
A three headed monster is forming before our eyes in LA...Lebron, AD and....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 133313
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject:

Kobesystem wrote:
Doesn't really matter, she owns the team...

The dude in NY still owns his team and gives zero f


She owns 9% of the team
_________________
How about those Blues!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rami34
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 28 Jun 2005
Posts: 193

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

She's trying too hard to prove that she can outperform previous regime. She talks about being methodical, but doing opposite.

I think being impatient and aggressive is caused by her looking over her shoulder, worrying about her brother paying her back and staging a family coup against her. It's turning into a soap opera.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1490

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject:

rami34 wrote:
She's trying too hard to prove that she can outperform previous regime. She talks about being methodical, but doing opposite.

I think being impatient and aggressive is caused by her looking over her shoulder, worrying about her brother paying her back and staging a family coup against her. It's turning into a soap opera.


TBH, I think part of the reason she's so emotional is because she hates her brother so much it's at a subconcious level. As a result, it clouds her judgement even after he's long gone as evident by mentioning him in her "ballz" email.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakerdynasty5.0
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 12 Jan 2009
Posts: 4178

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject:

in a world of tweets and "insta" everything, two years seems to be a lifetime
_________________
Starting Lakers Dynasty6.0! NOW!!
------
....." each year in Lakerland is marked by four seasons: Kobe’s Mad at His Teammates; Kobe’s Shooting Too Much; Kobe Leads the Victory Parade; Kobe Receives His Championship Ring."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 4830

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject:

She should go back to whatever she was doing before, the administrative stuff. Relinquish her role as owner and director and appoint someone else in her place. But like Dolan, I think she's too stubborn and prideful to ever "give up". She's just gonna continue to run things the way she likes and if the team still doesn't go anywhere, it doesn't matter.

The Knicks haven't won a playoff game since forever yet they're still the most valuable franchise so the Lakers could continue to be mediocre and they would still maintain their place as the second most valuable franchise.
_________________
Showtime Lakers are back!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kb24GOAT
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 28 Jun 2018
Posts: 219

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
rami34 wrote:
She's trying too hard to prove that she can outperform previous regime. She talks about being methodical, but doing opposite.

I think being impatient and aggressive is caused by her looking over her shoulder, worrying about her brother paying her back and staging a family coup against her. It's turning into a soap opera.


TBH, I think part of the reason she's so emotional is because she hates her brother so much it's at a subconcious level. As a result, it clouds her judgement even after he's long gone as evident by mentioning him in her "ballz" email.


very interesting take.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rami34
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 28 Jun 2005
Posts: 193

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
rami34 wrote:
She's trying too hard to prove that she can outperform previous regime. She talks about being methodical, but doing opposite.

I think being impatient and aggressive is caused by her looking over her shoulder, worrying about her brother paying her back and staging a family coup against her. It's turning into a soap opera.


TBH, I think part of the reason she's so emotional is because she hates her brother so much it's at a subconcious level. As a result, it clouds her judgement even after he's long gone as evident by mentioning him in her "ballz" email.


Jim does cast a shadow over her actions. I think the way he was pushed out created lasting family tension.

Jeanie seems to rid herself of any connection to him, including Luke Walton who was Jim's hire. She wants to be sure, she's surrounded by people loyal to her, regardless of merit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rami34
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 28 Jun 2005
Posts: 193

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject:

rami34 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
rami34 wrote:
She's trying too hard to prove that she can outperform previous regime. She talks about being methodical, but doing opposite.

I think being impatient and aggressive is caused by her looking over her shoulder, worrying about her brother paying her back and staging a family coup against her. It's turning into a soap opera.


TBH, I think part of the reason she's so emotional is because she hates her brother so much it's at a subconcious level. As a result, it clouds her judgement even after he's long gone as evident by mentioning him in her "ballz" email.


Jim does cast a shadow over her actions. I think the way he was pushed out created lasting family tension.

Jeanie seems to rid herself of any connection to him, including Luke Walton who was Jim's hire. She wants to be sure, she's surrounded by people loyal to her, regardless of merit.

I'm afraid Jeanie's also amenable to trading away Jim/Mitch drafted players, including 2017 class: Zo/Kuz/Hart, which's essentially Mitch's year-long work before getting fired shortly before draft.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rami34
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 28 Jun 2005
Posts: 193

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject:

rami34 wrote:
rami34 wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
rami34 wrote:
She's trying too hard to prove that she can outperform previous regime. She talks about being methodical, but doing opposite.

I think being impatient and aggressive is caused by her looking over her shoulder, worrying about her brother paying her back and staging a family coup against her. It's turning into a soap opera.


TBH, I think part of the reason she's so emotional is because she hates her brother so much it's at a subconcious level. As a result, it clouds her judgement even after he's long gone as evident by mentioning him in her "ballz" email.


Jim does cast a shadow over her actions. I think the way he was pushed out created lasting family tension.

Jeanie seems to rid herself of any connection to him, including Luke Walton who was Jim's hire. She wants to be sure, she's surrounded by people loyal to her, regardless of merit.

I'm afraid Jeanie's also amenable to trading away Jim/Mitch drafted players, including 2017 class: Zo/Kuz/Hart, which's essentially Mitch's year-long work before getting fired shortly before draft.

Ironically, I felt Moz/Deng was a mistake where Jim was desperate, feeling the axe about to fall. The feud between these two, and division within Buss family, has been heavily wearing down on this franchise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 3131

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
She can stay forever.


I hope you mean she can stay around the franchise, but not in her current position forever....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 3583

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
She is too emotional to be an effective leader.

She seems to be the inverse of Steve Ballmer. In public Ballmer wears his emotions on his sleeve yet is very rational with business decisions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 8 of 15
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB