Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
ocho wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
ocho wrote:
Good teaser. Nice to see Billy Dee. Humungous eye roll at Palpatine.

Eye roll? Palpatine orchestrated the entire Star Wars storyline. Can't complete the saga without the true big bad.

I'll reserve judgment until I see how it's handled in the movie. In general I think bringing characters back from the dead is pretty cheap.

I think I’m OK with it since he never really died in the EU. Also, with some of lore they wrote for Snoke in the books they kind of left the door wide open for the whole idea that the first order was just one of Palpatine’s contingency plans, and that Snoke was just a glorified fanboy of Sidious.

I'm hoping Palatine returns as a spirit ala Yoda/Ben and not as an actual person who survived a 3,000 foot fall.

Hmm, maybe. Though in some ways Sith spirits are more dangerous/corporeal than their living counterparts
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject:

My theory: Rey is Shmi.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
ocho wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
ocho wrote:

Eye roll? Palpatine orchestrated the entire Star Wars storyline. Can't complete the saga without the true big bad.

I'll reserve judgment until I see how it's handled in the movie. In general I think bringing characters back from the dead is pretty cheap.

I think I’m OK with it since he never really died in the EU. Also, with some of lore they wrote for Snoke in the books they kind of left the door wide open for the whole idea that the first order was just one of Palpatine’s contingency plans, and that Snoke was just a glorified fanboy of Sidious.

I'm hoping Palatine returns as a spirit ala Yoda/Ben and not as an actual person who survived a 3,000 foot fall.

Why not? Luke survived a 3000 foot fall.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
ocho wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
ocho wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
ocho wrote:

Why not? Luke survived a 3000 foot fall.

Call me old fashioned but 3,000 foot falls used to mean something.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I am a TLJ fan and I hope Abrams doesn't retcon the retcon, especially re: Rey.

Dude where were you in the TLJ thread where I was standing alone taking both barrels of the dudebro AT-AT for loving that movie?

lol I must've not frequented the OT board much back then. I was listening to a Filmspotting podcast earlier today and one of the hosts said in comparing the two flicks, "I don't recall much of anything from The Force Awakens, but I can still see images from TLJ." Or roughly that's what he said. And I'm the same way.

TLJ was more uneven but more interesting. TFA was fine and kind of boring.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
TLJ (bleep) up the story and characters but as a stand alone movie it would have been amazing. It failed as a sequel to the first movie. I was highly entertained watching it if I disconnect it from the Star Wars franchise and just think of it as a stand alone movie. For me it did too much retconning to the story of the first one and characters like Luke just completely destroyed in that movie.

I am very happy JJ is back at the helm. He gets the lore, energy, and magic of the Star Wars universe and I enjoy the way he paces his movies.

I think Abrams understands the spectacle of it, but Lucas felt that (bleep) even if he wasn't good enough at dialogue to have his characters regularly convey it. When Alderaan is destroyed, Obi-wan delivers this famous bit of dialogue:
Quote:
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

That's what TFA lacked. Even TLJ up until Luke's sacrifice. I felt no consequences in TFA and it's telling that despite JJ doing his "best of A New Hope" remix he neglected something like the short speech above to contextualize the broader galaxy beyond the elite narrative of the Skywalker bloodline.
mykolbeta
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Abrams has a big mess to clean up following TLJ. I hope he can pull it off but not holding my breath.

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject:

TLJ is the first Star Wars movie I enjoyed since ESB. Given the online reaction in the fanbase I'm expecting a full retcon of everything I enjoyed, especially Rey just being a nobody.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:22 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
ocho wrote:

Dude where were you in the TLJ thread where I was standing alone taking both barrels of the dudebro AT-AT for loving that movie?

I'll never understand the hate for TLJ, especially in a world where "The Clone Wars" exists. Its not without its faults but Its my favorite Star Wars movie. My biggest gripe is the utter waste of Captain Phasma. Gwendoline Christie deserved so much better, but at least she got paid.

I dont really know how to feel about this last movie, JJ Abrams is....eh.. But Im positive all the people who didnt care for TLJ will be satisfied.

Also, Shout out to ""Solo", I actually enjoyed that movie, way better than "Rogue One".

seconded @ Solo. That movie got shat on in the press, as well as by most people so it killed my anticipation. Ended up watching it at the movies expecting less than zero but I actually thought it was the best Disney McStar Wars movie produced yet.

Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:24 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:

how? shmi got stretched out by some sandpeople and died before luke was born
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:36 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:

how? shmi got stretched out by some sandpeople and died before luke was born

Time travel. We're watching the story of Anakin's mother. The Original Trilogy was about Luke, the son. The Prequel Trilogy was about Anakin, the father. The Sequel Trilogy is about Shmi, the grandmother. Every trilogy is about a different generation of Skywalkers. This one's about the first. Which would be cool because what we thought was the sequel trilogy would actually be another prequel trilogy.

Or she's a clone and is about to give birth to another Anakin, which would be cool because in the next trilogy it means we get Hayden back.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
ocho wrote:

I'll never understand the hate for TLJ, especially in a world where "The Clone Wars" exists. Its not without its faults but Its my favorite Star Wars movie. My biggest gripe is the utter waste of Captain Phasma. Gwendoline Christie deserved so much better, but at least she got paid.

I dont really know how to feel about this last movie, JJ Abrams is....eh.. But Im positive all the people who didnt care for TLJ will be satisfied.

Also, Shout out to ""Solo", I actually enjoyed that movie, way better than "Rogue One".

seconded @ Solo. That movie got shat on in the press, as well as by most people so it killed my anticipation. Ended up watching it at the movies expecting less than zero but I actually thought it was the best Disney McStar Wars movie produced yet.

I enjoyed solo as well, thought it was one of the more interesting star wars movies Disney has released, what a same no sequel...
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
ocho wrote:

I enjoyed solo as well, thought it was one of the more interesting star wars movies Disney has released, what a same no sequel...

I loved Solo too, mostly because it felt like a contained, character driven movie, which made the action sequences resonate even more. I felt similarly about Rogue One.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

I liked Solo. I’d give it a B/B-. It should have gotten a better reception.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:
ocho wrote:

I loved Solo too, mostly because it felt like a contained, character driven movie, which made the action sequences resonate even more. I felt similarly about Rogue One.

Enjoyed Watching Solo in the theater, haven't thought about it since. Loved rogue one even though the acting made me laugh a few times during the movie.

What cracks me up is I can't get my young son to go see Star Wars movies because they're "just about girls beating up some whiny dude." The only guy I got him to admit was cool from the Disney films was Han.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject:

The only new star wars I liked was Solo. Everything else has been a pretty big disappointment to me
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject:

So it seems like at the end of the day Luke accomplished nothing. Didn't defeat the Empire. Couldn't train Jedi's. And didn't defeat Palpatine. Good to know nothing in the Original Trilogy mattered If there's one thing I give the sequel trilogy is that they stuck to their "let the past burn" line.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
So it seems like at the end of the day Luke accomplished nothing. Didn't defeat the Empire. Couldn't train Jedi's. And didn't defeat Palpatine. Good to know nothing in the Original Trilogy mattered If there's one thing I give the sequel trilogy is that they stuck to their "let the past burn" line.

There's a reason we fired him
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:

There's a reason we fired him

yikes from one burnt out franchise to another
Cochese
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject:

Seeing the trailer made me realize how little I care about the characters from this trilogy. The only thing that brought a smile to my face was Lando.

Still, I want to see what happens after the mess of the Last Jedi.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject:

I REALLY liked The Force Awakens (even with the lazy plot copied from A New Hope). It's a great introduction to the SW universe and I really liked the new characters (Rey, Finn and Poe). It introduced really cool elements and plots: who is Rey? Who is Snoke and the Knights of Ren? Why has Kylo Ren turned to the dark side? Why has the New Republic failed? Where is Luke Skywalker?

Kylo Ren killing Han Solo was GREAT. Showed he's a true VILLAIN. Solo's death served the story that was being told. No problem here for me.

And that's why I don't like The Last Jedi. It failed to follow almost every single plot line introduced in The Force Awakens, while not giving plausible explanations to do so. Snoke? He's nobody. Knights of Ren? Nothing. Who is Rey? Nada.
The New Republic (the "Rebels") is reduced to a group of a dozen. Is there anybody out there?

It just took the story and turned into a mess. To me, TLJ couldn't introduce new plot elements to replace the ones it destroyed. The story don't move to any direction. The Canto Bight sequence was a total waste of time. Added absolutely nothing to the story.

And Rian Johnson almost crap on the entire franchise by killing Luke Skywalker, specially knowing that Carrie Fisher was dead. Those movies are the story of the Skywalker saga, him liking it or not.

Leia flying after getting exploded was pathetic. Just pathetic.
And the comedy... Don't even get me started. Ridiculous. Just ruining the mood every single time. We waited 2 years to see Luke receiving his lightsaber. And he throws it away. (bleep) me.

The criticism regarding TLJ being a "social justice warrior" movie is total (bleep). It's 2019, better get used to seeing black people and women on the screen. Go (bleep) yourself if you think that's a problem.

I really liked the reason why Luke attacked Kylo Ren when he was a child, and why Luke felt scared, embarassed about it and chose to go away. That was very very cool and a plausible reason why the Jedi Order wasn't rebuilt.

It seems like Disney realized those movies are about the Skywalker family and will tie all the knots. I'm excited about it. Really hope that JJ can give this amazing story a deserving end.

Solo and Rogue One (specially R1) are great, self contained Star Wars movies. Nothing shaking the core of the universe, but very cool and entertaining stories, with the right mood and fitting the chronology.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Canto Bight sequence was a total waste of time. Added absolutely nothing to the story.

Sigh.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject:

did they ever even explain how the empire regained to dominate power in the first place?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
did they ever even explain how the empire regained to dominate power in the first place?
They built a wall to keep the rebels out of their bases.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
I REALLY liked The Force Awakens (even with the lazy plot copied from A New Hope). It's a great introduction to the SW universe and I really liked the new characters (Rey, Finn and Poe). It introduced really cool elements and plots: who is Rey? Who is Snoke and the Knights of Ren? Why has Kylo Ren turned to the dark side? Why has the New Republic failed? Where is Luke Skywalker?

Kylo Ren killing Han Solo was GREAT. Showed he's a true VILLAIN. Solo's death served the story that was being told. No problem here for me.

And that's why I don't like The Last Jedi. It failed to follow almost every single plot line introduced in The Force Awakens, while not giving plausible explanations to do so. Snoke? He's nobody. Knights of Ren? Nothing. Who is Rey? Nada.
The New Republic (the "Rebels") is reduced to a group of a dozen. Is there anybody out there?

It just took the story and turned into a mess. To me, TLJ couldn't introduce new plot elements to replace the ones it destroyed. The story don't move to any direction. The Canto Bight sequence was a total waste of time. Added absolutely nothing to the story.

And Rian Johnson almost crap on the entire franchise by killing Luke Skywalker, specially knowing that Carrie Fisher was dead. Those movies are the story of the Skywalker saga, him liking it or not.

Leia flying after getting exploded was pathetic. Just pathetic.
And the comedy... Don't even get me started. Ridiculous. Just ruining the mood every single time. We waited 2 years to see Luke receiving his lightsaber. And he throws it away. (bleep) me.

The criticism regarding TLJ being a "social justice warrior" movie is total (bleep). It's 2019, better get used to seeing black people and women on the screen. Go (bleep) yourself if you think that's a problem.

I really liked the reason why Luke attacked Kylo Ren when he was a child, and why Luke felt scared, embarassed about it and chose to go away. That was very very cool and a plausible reason why the Jedi Order wasn't rebuilt.

It seems like Disney realized those movies are about the Skywalker family and will tie all the knots. I'm excited about it. Really hope that JJ can give this amazing story a deserving end.

Solo and Rogue One (specially R1) are great, self contained Star Wars movies. Nothing shaking the core of the universe, but very cool and entertaining stories, with the right mood and fitting the chronology.

This is why they say never meet your heroes. We'll always have the basketball board, danzag.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10
Jump to: