What the Lakers can learn from the Clippers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: What the Lakers can learn from the Clippers

1. Play hard. Play hard. Play hard.
2. Be aggressive. Lakers need someone out there with an attitude. I love Pat Beverly and wish the Lakers had him on this team.
3. Be smart. The Clippers are one of the smartest teams in the NBA.
4. Be consistent. Sweet Lou Williams is consistent in his offensive flow, not prone to long stretches where he's not mentally in the game.
5. You don't need the homerun. Be smart with your passes (Laker had way too many turnovers).
6. Don't panic, and stay within your offensive scheme.
7. Stay locked in on defense on EVERY play, not just for stretches.
8. Be hardnosed with your coaching. Get emotional out there, don't always try to be the players best friend.
9. Believe in yourselves. Don't get caught up in drama.
10. You don't need a superstar on your team to WIN...you just need heart.

Other notes
* I think the trade of Zubac is making sense. Zu looks absolutely lost out there; poor footwork, no offensive game, no defense, clumsy, fumbling, 100% a non-contributor.

* The Clippers, assuming they keep their key players (Lou, Bev, a few more) are absolutely an attractive team to go to as a free agent.

* Cousins is washed up. No way he gets nothing more next season than the vet minimum.

* I hate to say it, but I've become a fan of the Clippers. I guess I was in denial, but I'm sold. I love their game; hard-nosed, aggressive, smart play. I love Doc Rivers, and I love Sweet Lou and Bev. I wish we had those guys on our Lakers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject:

Good. Email this to Linda Rambis.
Do it Mitch!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject:

They can learn how to BS their franchise player into resigning with them, then shipping their ass out to Detroit at the soonest convenience.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject:

You did all this just to tell us you're a fan of the clippers... Smh

Last edited by Outspoken on Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject:

Nothing against the Clippers, but I'd rather learn things from championship teams than 8 seeds.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject:

Clippers will likely lose in 5, but we are screwed if this isn’t a wake up call for Jeanie. Clippers have been the better team for a good stretch of seasons now.

This rebuild on the fly also looks more threatening and sustainable than the lob city choke clippers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject:

Pat Bev will be an unrestricted FA, with a 9.5m cap hold. Unless they dump Gallo, holding onto Bev's cap hold will mean they can't have 2 max FAs unless they dump Lou and/or Harrell.

Should be interesting b/c he's part of the heart and soul of that team, and he will want a final pay day that is greater than 5m/year.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject:

I agree with the Zubac part, dude just isn’t good. Beyond that the biggest thing I think the Lakers can take away from the Clips overachieving is.

1) Coaching Matters

Good on us for firing Luke.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject:

Hire Jerry West.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Clippers will likely lose in 5, but we are screwed if this isn’t a wake up call for Jeanie. Clippers have been the better team for a good stretch of seasons now.

This rebuild on the fly also looks more threatening and sustainable than the lob city choke clippers.

But isn't their rebuilding goal to land an All-Star and then build the team around him? They have to re-sign Beverly and Zubac this summer and decide if Galinari and Harrell are worth it next season.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Hire Jerry West.

Pretty much this. If we get him back in off season than we can watch the clippers go back to $hit
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
Nothing against the Clippers, but I'd rather learn things from championship teams than 8 seeds.

Definition of short sighted

The Lakers have dominated the nba for decades

Clippers have dominated at holding the title of team everyone wants out of L.A.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Bol wrote:

This is short sighted b/c this makes the team's FO/ownership dwell on past accomplishments as opposed to modernizing everything.

That Lakers FO has the "grandma's house" smell right now.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject:

Plus, it's hard to say how Free Agents will view Balmer after what he did to Blake Griffin. Everyone understands it's business, but at the same time he isn't a man of his word and that means something.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Hire Jerry West.

Bingo
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
defense wrote:
Bol wrote:

This is short sighted b/c this makes the team's FO/ownership dwell on past accomplishments as opposed to modernizing everything.

I think that's projection more than anything. They have been and are currently working at it. It's not easy winning championships.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject:

It's much simpler. They built a top flight front office. The rest takes care of itself. Ballmer didn't empower his close friends as his sole criteria.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
defense wrote:
Bol wrote:

I think that's projection more than anything. They have been and are currently working at it. It's not easy winning championships.

It's not projection.

They literally went for the Magic Johnson, ultimate nostalgia hire silver bullet and he just resigned (after firing the bronze Byron bullet).

We're going to basically have Rambis as our POBO and Linda Rambis is Jeanie's closest team confidante?

Yes, the house smells like the windows have not been opened since the Showtime 1980s.

Last edited by yinoma2001 on Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

But isn't their rebuilding goal to land an All-Star and then build the team around him? They have to re-sign Beverly and Zubac this summer and decide if Galinari and Harrell are worth it next season.

All true, they just have more controllable assets (young players and picks) now and aren’t relying on maxed out Griffin, Paul and high salary Jordan and Reddick.

Their front office now is no joke. Before, it was Doc making decisions but now that has been cleaned up to where they have solid executives including the greatest executive in the history of the league. Jeanie made a big mistake letting egos get in the way. Clippers aren’t where they are without Jerry West.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject:

Why is Linda Rambis NOW mention??
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject:

Lakers better learn from them. They have been the team slowly gaining a positive reputation and winning over fans. They land a marquee free agent and continue to win they will continue to build on that trend. They might even start gaining some bandwagon fans to their loyal base.

Lakers relying on the banners and headlines is getting old. Especially to transplants or the fickle majority of NBA fans. You realize that a graduating high school student was in grade school the last time they were in the playoffs.

Clippers are playing a tough hard working style that may help in the recruitment of that marquee FA. That chemistry and enthusiasm is an appealing option. Making "history" last night, even if they lose the series. They are in the headlines for the right reasons.

While the Lakers franchise is dysfunctional. It has instability at ownership, FO and a coaching staff merry go round. Roster is unstable and has horrible chemistry because of all the one year contracts, the potential trades and the reliance on an aging mega star that has a history of taking all the oxygen out of the room in a good year.

Clippers are closing the gap. Still behind but Lakers need to get this mess fixed this off-season. It will only take a couple of signings to go the wrong way and the gap may close even more over the next couple years if the Clippers provide a future and the Lakers underachieve again and again.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: What the Lakers can learn from the Clippers

troy wrote:
1. Play hard. Play hard. Play hard.
2. Be aggressive. Lakers need someone out there with an attitude. I love Pat Beverly and wish the Lakers had him on this team.
3. Be smart. The Clippers are one of the smartest teams in the NBA.
4. Be consistent. Sweet Lou Williams is consistent in his offensive flow, not prone to long stretches where he's not mentally in the game.
5. You don't need the homerun. Be smart with your passes (Laker had way too many turnovers).
6. Don't panic, and stay within your offensive scheme.
7. Stay locked in on defense on EVERY play, not just for stretches.
8. Be hardnosed with your coaching. Get emotional out there, don't always try to be the players best friend.
9. Believe in yourselves. Don't get caught up in drama.
10. You don't need a superstar on your team to WIN...you just need heart.

Other notes
* I think the trade of Zubac is making sense. Zu looks absolutely lost out there; poor footwork, no offensive game, no defense, clumsy, fumbling, 100% a non-contributor.

* The Clippers, assuming they keep their key players (Lou, Bev, a few more) are absolutely an attractive team to go to as a free agent.

* Cousins is washed up. No way he gets nothing more next season than the vet minimum.

* I hate to say it, but I've become a fan of the Clippers. I guess I was in denial, but I'm sold. I love their game; hard-nosed, aggressive, smart play. I love Doc Rivers, and I love Sweet Lou and Bev. I wish we had those guys on our Lakers.

I just don't like basketball that much

......I guess I'm just a Lakers fan
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Clippers are closing the gap.

I don't think so. This is a micro view of a macro analysis.

I do agree that they have won much more than us in the past 6 years.

Ironically though, Lakers are tackling a micro problem with a macro "Lakers Exceptionalism" solution.

There is a possibility that things just fall in favor for the Lakers and they end up with KL for example. But we are still handling things as though it's 1985. That things will basically correct their way via fate.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject:

If you can't see that the Clippers are better run than the Lakers right now, you are part of the problem and as arrogant as Jeanie.

League analysts and experts are even spoon feeding her solutions and so far she doesn't seem to be listening.

The Woolly Mammoth once ruled the Earth, but now they are extinct... if you fail to adapt you will ultimately be surpassed. Same applies to the Roman Empire, Alexander, the British Empire, the American Empire.

I'm sure all of them recited stories of their greatness while some Benny Blanco pipsqueak began to take over.

Can we return to greatness? Absolutely.

But you can't achieve it by assuming you are better because of the achievements of others wearing the same uniform who have nothing to do with the current team. You have to be humble enough to accept criticism, learn from your mistakes, and rectify them.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject:

The problem is that whenever the solution begs, screams for "modernity" the Lakers retreat to the comforts of insularity.

Lakers have such equity built up over 30+ years of unparalleled success in LA. But make no mistake, we're not building any more equity, we're eating at it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: